Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 3rd Mar 17, 12:10 AM
    • 1,751Posts
    • 9,582Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Cherry takes the reins
    • 3rd Mar 17, 12:10 AM
    Cherry takes the reins 3rd Mar 17 at 12:10 AM
    Hi everyone.

I'm hoping I can legitimately post a diary here as I'm in the blessed position at the moment of my only actual debt being my mortgage, but I've had a huge change in my circumstances recently and how I manage it will have a big impact on our finances.

I need to talk things through, if only with myself, and motivate myself with small money savings and accountability. For the last few years I've not kept an eye on money but I work and DH's pay has gone up so we've had enough and a bit to spare and I've got lazy with some and wasn't mentally able to face other aspects. Now that I'm in a much better place mentally, I want to take the reins and be deliberate about what I spend. I need to start facing up to this right now because we are covering costs for my Mum's estate until probate is settled. I know this isn't legally necessary but we can pay ourselves back from the estate once the paperwork goes through and I don't like the estate to be building up debt (which oddly is possible).

A bit late tonight to launch into details about the estate so I will give a brief explanation of other financial stuff. DH and I have a couple of joint accounts and a mortgage. We have an aging car which needs to be replaced soon and is essential (DH's work and transport for a disabled relative). We are also going to a family wedding abroad in July, and have paid accommodation and air fares but there will also be car hire, food, sundries and some of the clothes still to buy. DH's income is the larger and pays all the utilities, holidays, fuel and etceteras. Mine goes into the other joint account and pays the mortgage and food, which gives me a lot of pride . I also pay for contact lenses, some donations which I don't want to stop, my phone contract and, temporarily, costs incurred trying to sort Mum's estate.

The breakdown of where my money goes (pcm):
    Mortgage: 282.24
    Donations: 120.00
    Contact lenses: 22.00
    Phone 8.40
    Amazon Prime: 7.99
    Food for 4 adults 80.00 (pw) (approx. 347 pm)

Income:
    Roughly 1,000 pcm (variable due to overtime)
    Bank £3 (if I get my wages transferred regularly)

This month and possibly next I have lots of extra fairly hefty outgoings in terms of travel, paying a cleaner, insurance etc. that are all to do with Mum's estate. I will, as I said, get these back from my eventual inheritance but meanwhile I want to tread carefully and of course it will decrease what I inherit. Duh.

To encourage myself I'm keeping this diary and would love to hear from others as I do so. I can't always see things clearly till others give input.

Action I can see I need to take:
    Get my wages paid directly into this account so I always get that £3! Done in time for May 2017
    Cancel Amazon Prime - cancelled 7/3/17

Little MS things I've managed today:
    Started this diary
    Taken lunch to work - overnight oats
    Mended a favourite cardigan so I can wear it in daylight
    Put myself down for 3 extra shifts. 2 of these particular type of shifts pay for a journey to work on Mum's house.

Uh-ohs
    Forgot DH had an evening meeting so went for the quick-cook supermarket pizza which isn't best use of food money when I could have been using stuff up.
    Far too tired after a late night and an early shift, to go for a run. I know that's nothing to do with money but for lent and my waistline I'm doing C25K.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 31-05-2017 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Update
Page 36
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 13th Feb 18, 11:59 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 9,582 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    How are you doing now OBL? Coughing that won't stop doesn't sound like the best basis for going back to work, I must say... just a wee bit concerned about you. Mind you I've had that thing where you get better in the doctor's waiting room: embarrassing .

Here's to your good health coming back soon and permanently.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 14th Feb 18, 12:30 AM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 9,582 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Grr, I wrote things just as MSE decided to request another password change, and I lost the post!

Here goes again:

Work went okay. I had my return to work interview with a manager who had spent the weekend suffering from the same bug.

I did some bits of shopping despite the bitter cold, went to my piano lesson and ate pancakes for tea.

Spends for 13/02/18:
    Book £2.81
    Piano lesson £10.00
    Stationery £3.50
    Clothing £1.00
    Medical £3.29
    Housekeeping £9.50
    Train fare (to reclaim from estate) £54.06
    MS stuff:
    Used my CC to pay the train fare, meaning I get a few pence on 'points'. Claimed it back from the estate right away and paid the CC back.
    Belatedly took meter readings but at least that means the utilities will have a recent reading so their estimates won't be too far out.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 14th Feb 18, 10:33 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 9,582 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I'm not used to posting from my phone so let's see if this works!

I've spent most of the afternoon and evening doing jobs around Mum's old house: so nice to have working heating and a washing machine. I really need a bit of an early night though.

A couple of small spends in the village but no receipts so this is from memory.

Spends:
    Decorating stuff to reclaim from the estate £7.54
    Housekeeping £1.80
    • NoOneAround
    • By NoOneAround 14th Feb 18, 10:57 PM
    • 1,755 Posts
    • 8,555 Thanks
    NoOneAround
    I'm not used to posting from my phone so let's see if this works!

I've spent most of the afternoon and evening doing jobs around Mum's old house: so nice to have working heating and a washing machine. I really need a bit of an early night though.

A couple of small spends in the village but no receipts so this is from memory.

Spends:
    Decorating stuff to reclaim from the estate £7.54
    Housekeeping £1.80
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    Hi Cherry,
    Glad you are feeling a little better, make sure you don't overdo it working on your mum's house.
    Cheap and cheerful temp shelving is a good idea as an interim, annoying though to have to deal with something that was not priority at the moment.

NOA
    x
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>01/06/16 £68166>01/02/17 £66,600=8.18%PAID
    Mortgage Jan14=209,800 Jan15=£200,300 Jan17£180,700>OCT17 £170,200
    Health/Fitness Challenges Priority#1 Stay Fit and healthy - whatever it takes
    Wombling Free Cash May2016 £51
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 17th Feb 18, 11:35 PM
    • 369 Posts
    • 988 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    How are you doing now OBL? Coughing that won't stop doesn't sound like the best basis for going back to work, I must say... just a wee bit concerned about you. Mind you I've had that thing where you get better in the doctor's waiting room: embarrassing .

Here's to your good health coming back soon and permanently.
    Hi, sorry I didnít see this post,Iíve been back to work for two shifts now and itís been ok I went back on Thursday and i think that was the day I started to turn the corner,Iím feeling so much better now,I still have a slight cough but itís nearly gone now,hopefully I have had my quota of cold bugs for this year,Iíve been dosing myself up with vitamins
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £770.00 Total Now Owed = £16,860
    Emergency Fund = £400.00 Xmas savings = £250.00
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 18th Feb 18, 11:45 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 9,582 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I'm back! I've gone and left my receipts where fetching them will wake DH but I know I spent a few pounds over 14th and 15th, then 16th, 17th and 18th have been NSDs.

I got quite a bit of sorting done at Mum's house, no decorating, a couple of bags of rubbish and a bag for charity... it all seems like a big effort for little return but FWIW I found my missing premium bond certificates! Those have been gone for years so although I'm sure a letter would have turned up at some point if I'd won something, at least I have a slightly higher likelihood of benefitting from them than when they were at the back of a drawer.

Talking of drawers, I emptied three and made a start on a couple of others. That's got to count for something, hasn't it? I also found a box of my Dad's photos of family from before I was born, which have been fascinating to explore. I was able to show DS2 his great, great grandfather in one.

This weekend and tomorrow are work but I will probably do some food shopping tomorrow. I spent less than £10 on food last week so handed the remaining £30 to DH to pay for Sunday lunch and whatever other bits are needed. I was very good and lived mostly off supplies at the house, only buying milk and cheese while there. It proves that online order wasn't needed at all!
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 19th Feb 18, 11:47 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 9,582 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    A small but rather indulgent grocery shop today - I only had a chocolate biscuit for lunch so I succumbed to a supermarket sandwich which was okay but not amazing. Certainly not worth over £2 unless you look at it from the point of view of the pig who is no more because of the ham in it... then I suppose £2 is very small value for a life. I really should go back to being vegetarian, the number of times I have thought similarly recently.

It's MS too.

I also bought a couple of items for work, some unnecessary lemons because they were being marked down and a carrier bag, Definitely shouldn't be let out unsupervised some days.

Interestingly I was looking for something in the freezer and found DS2's drawer is stuffed full of Quorn. Either he's on Lent, or his friend who is vegan is influencing him or he's discovered it's better for him than the usual mince he likes so much. I'd better not ask: these things need to happen without being noticed by parents, if you see what I mean.

In more postive news, I went for a run.

Spends:
    Housekeeping £6.62
    MS stuff:
    Not a lot really.
    Confession time:
    Bought sandwich when I already had a meal ready for work!
    Bought lemons when we already have a bag full.
    Didn't bring enough carriers so ended up paying for one.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 20th Feb 18, 11:56 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 9,582 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    A terribly lazy day today, so I feel a bit guilty. I did need a rest though and at least I've done loads of washing and a spot of ironing, mended the guinea pig's run and went to the shops, where I bumped into DH. That was very handy as I hadn't got any cash out so he paid () but that will leave him short so when I get my share out I'll pay him back. So not really an NSD.

My piano lesson was cancelled today so I'm going to transfer the £10 to the mortgage.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 21-02-2018 at 10:25 PM.
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 21st Feb 18, 4:44 AM
    • 1,635 Posts
    • 16,280 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Doesn't sound like that lazy a day! Any day where laundry and ironing gets done is somewhat productive in my world.
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017: £38,608 unsecured debt/£20,000 parental loan/£173,282 mortgage = £231,890
    debt on 6th June 2018: £13,265 unsecured debt/£20,000 parental loan/£191,971 mortgage = £225,236
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 21st Feb 18, 7:04 AM
    • 2,504 Posts
    • 15,973 Thanks
    parsniphead
    A small but rather indulgent grocery shop today - I only had a chocolate biscuit for lunch so I succumbed to a supermarket sandwich which was okay but not amazing. Certainly not worth over £2 unless you look at it from the point of view of the pig who is no more because of the ham in it... then I suppose £2 is very small value for a life. I really should go back to being vegetarian, the number of times I have thought similarly recently.

It's MS too.

I also bought a couple of items for work, some unnecessary lemons because they were being marked down and a carrier bag, Definitely shouldn't be let out unsupervised some days.

Interestingly I was looking for something in the freezer and found DS2's drawer is stuffed full of Quorn. Either he's on Lent, or his friend who is vegan is influencing him or he's discovered it's better for him than the usual mince he likes so much. I'd better not ask: these things need to happen without being noticed by parents, if you see what I mean.

In more postive news, I went for a run.

Spends:
    Housekeeping £6.62
    MS stuff:
    Not a lot really.
    Confession time:
    Bought sandwich when I already had a meal ready for work!
    Bought lemons when we already have a bag full.
    Didn't bring enough carriers so ended up paying for one.
    I thought chocolate biscuits for lunch was normal.

Quorn is my nemesis. It's probably what I do with it but it always tastes vile.

Lemon curd with the lemons perhaps? Yum.
    My mini challenge: pay off MBNA by 31/08/18. £233.10/£502 46.43%
    Total outstanding consumer debt - £333.10/ £7864.52 4.23%
    Without ambition one starts nothing. Without work one finishes nothing. The prize will not be sent to you. You have to win it.Ē -Ralph Waldo Emerson
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 21st Feb 18, 10:20 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 9,582 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Lemon curd is a brilliant idea thanks! I have lots of jars... I've never made it before so it should be interesting.

I am sitting here trying to get my head around money stuff. Not my best area. I have paid the Utilities for Mum's old house (pretty horrendous . I tell myself it had to be dried out and winter is going to be the worst bill). As the house is empty I still don't have to pay CT or water or TV, thankfully.

We had lunch out today which was lovely but too filling! On the way home I noticed a place selling 'vintage furniture' which could be worth investigating for some of the surplus furniture from Mum's house.

I have been out three times this week without properly sorting which budget the money was coming from so I am going to sit down with pen, receipts and the back of an envelope right now (said she, decisively) and work it out. Expect a post with multiple edits.
    • supersaver1000
    • By supersaver1000 21st Feb 18, 10:25 PM
    • 2,095 Posts
    • 13,149 Thanks
    supersaver1000
    Cherryfudge well done on the run!!!

Parsniphead I share your pain on the Quorn, whatever I do its vile. Think I just don't like the texture.

I made some lemon curd ages ago - I think from a recipe on Greying Pilgrim's thread, it was delicious. Some recipes are easier than others. You just have to be careful not to make scrambled egg HM lemon curd makes really good lemon cakes etc. too.

Good luck with the budgeting Cf.
    All CC debt (59% saved) - 100% by Xmas 2018 : Flylady : Grocery club member : Old Style Weightloss lurker
    It's not getting what you want, it's wanting what you've got

June Grocery Budget £374.86/£200 - Completely Debt-free by Xmas 2018 April 2019
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 21st Feb 18, 11:01 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 9,582 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Thanks SS1000 . I may go and look up that recipe. Forum recipes tend to be tried and tested as well as MS, which is what I need.

So far my trawling through my brain, purse and bag has revealed the following:

14th: Paint roller/tray/paint guard for Mum's house £7.54 (still need to reclaim from the estate) (Done)
    Housekeeping £1.90
    15th: Shampoo hose £6.29 (still to reclaim from the estate) (Done)
    Housekeeping £1.84... that was the day I nearly set the kitchen on fire - making 5 times in my life I've done that.
    16th: NSD
    17th: NSD
    18th: NSD
    19th: Housekeeping £6.62
    20th: Housekeeping £8.50 (IOU DH)
    Medical £7.50
    Mortgage £10
    Magazine subscription £16.70 - I had forgotten that was due! Wondering whether to cancel but I think I'll keep it for now. Looking on their website I think that could be for 6 months so if I cancel in about June I can reconsider whether to renew later.
    21st: Housekeeping £8.03
    Household £7.97
    Garden £3.98
    Mortgage £70.00 - I discovered I hadn't made the usual overpayment earlier in the month. That brings it up to the amount I used to pay before the rates changed.

I also need to put £2 into the milk kitty when I have cash. The till wasn't working earlier. 13p I happened to have in change has already gone in!

I will go and sort out my 'estate' claims right away. (Done ).

ETA: I get £3 loyalty payment while I keep the account in order and have £7.99 going out each month for my phone. This is likely to be a bit more next month as I'll need to top my Internet access up for next time I'm at Mum's house. Just noting it here for the record. My daily spends could do with reflecting DDs and SOs. That reminds me, I need to postpone my next contact lens delivery as I have a lot to spare. That will save £14.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 21-02-2018 at 11:51 PM.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 21st Feb 18, 11:58 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 9,582 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Oh dear I am daft! I went into the mortgage account to change the direct debit for the mortgage so I wouldn't accidentally miss the regular overpayment and managed to cancel the direct debit! Then I find I can't alter it online. Grrr! I was sure I'd done it in the past.

That means I'll have to go into the branch in the next couple of days to get them to set it up again - though at least that gives me the chance to get a new cheque book as well. For some reason that can only been done through the branch nowadays.

At least it will help keep my step count up.
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 22nd Feb 18, 9:03 PM
    • 369 Posts
    • 988 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Oh dear I am daft! I went into the mortgage account to change the direct debit for the mortgage so I wouldn't accidentally miss the regular overpayment and managed to cancel the direct debit! Then I find I can't alter it online. Grrr! I was sure I'd done it in the past.

That means I'll have to go into the branch in the next couple of days to get them to set it up again - though at least that gives me the chance to get a new cheque book as well. For some reason that can only been done through the branch nowadays.

At least it will help keep my step count up.
    How annoying, I changed my mortgage DD over the phone but then you wonít earn any steps
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £770.00 Total Now Owed = £16,860
    Emergency Fund = £400.00 Xmas savings = £250.00
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 22nd Feb 18, 11:21 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 9,582 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I got the steps in and sorted things out so I am now paying the mortgage again!

Where did yesterday's lovely spring weather go? It's gone bitterly cold again! I did get myself to the greengrocer again while I was in town: I used to go regularly. It's a great place to look for bargains. This time I got a big bag of tomatoes, another of mushrooms and three decent-sized onions for about £1.40. Tomorrow I will probably make tomato soup. I also popped into the supermarket for some bits and pieces but other than I've been at work.

Spends:
    Housekeeping £5.36
    MS stuff:
    40p's worth of tomatoes and 40p's worth of mushrooms from the discounted box at the greengrocer's - should make a basis for four or more soups.
    Took note on OneBrokeLady's mention of the Leek Croustade from The Cranks Recipe Book: may take advantage of that while Mr T has leeks on offer.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 23rd Feb 18, 12:16 AM
    • 879 Posts
    • 3,557 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Homemade lemon curd is lovely. Have you got a double saucepan ? A glass bowl over a saucepan work just as well and will help prevent scrambled eggs.
    paydbx #93 £692/£8,000.
    Loan £17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans £3342 March 2017. £3123 in Jan 18
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 23rd Feb 18, 12:18 AM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 9,582 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    No double saucepan but I will take note of the glass bowl thanks. Lemon scrambled eggs don't appeal!
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 23rd Feb 18, 8:30 AM
    • 2,504 Posts
    • 15,973 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Mmmmmm. Lemon scrambled eggs. My stomach just lurched.
    My mini challenge: pay off MBNA by 31/08/18. £233.10/£502 46.43%
    Total outstanding consumer debt - £333.10/ £7864.52 4.23%
    Without ambition one starts nothing. Without work one finishes nothing. The prize will not be sent to you. You have to win it.Ē -Ralph Waldo Emerson
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 23rd Feb 18, 11:14 PM
    • 1,751 Posts
    • 9,582 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    No lemon scrambled eggs today.

No home cooking at all in fact, but I cooked at work so I don't feel too deprived. Now I have a weekend off so I'll try to use those lemons.

Nothing spent and a little saved as I gave my hair a trim and I'm pleased with how it's turned out. Tomorrow may be more spendy, though, as DH wants to get some clothes and I've been wearing the same cold-weather clothes for so long I would love something new, especially as spring went back into hiding after a whole day of showing its face.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,043Posts Today

8,356Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Quick #eng pre-match poll. What result do you predict?

• I agree this glitch wasn't flights for 1p it was flights for c. £200 - I think many would've expected that to be th? https://t.co/QUTnlBLPkj

• Was the BA fare glitch fair? Are you one of those let down by BA cancelling cheap flights to Tel Avivandr Dubai? H? https://t.co/PvN8Zaxbue

• Follow Martin