Options

Comments

• Cherryfudge
    Cherryfudge Posts: 10,037 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited 6 October 2017 at 12:27AM
    Options
    Thank you for the good wishes folks!

Here I am, over half way through our holiday already. As holidays go, it's going pretty well: the accommodation is nice and we've had some good days out. I've put a bit of a dampener on things by coming down with a lurgy, but today I've felt a lot better and enjoyed myself instead of keeping falling asleep! I expect part of it was just being too tired for too long, but DS2 had come down with something immediately before we went away. He was much worse than I was, but it makes me wonder if I wasn't fighting something off.

Money-wise, we aren't doing too badly although we've spent quite a bit. Thankfully our car is super-cheap to run as we've put in lots of mileage. We've self-catered main meals, which is much more economical than our usual holiday food when we try lots of restaurants for evening meals. We've also taken picnics. On the down side, we've had coffee and cake far too many times (though one was a freebie as I had enough points on my loyalty card).

I'll try to get a summary together:
    1st:
    No actual spending on my behalf though I did sort out a couple of donations and DH bought drinks & cake for us both at the motorway services.
    2nd:
    The holiday Big Shop: £42.29 housekeeping and £8.27 toiletries.
    We found a really nice garden centre and bought a lot of Christmas and birthday gifts: £39.19, plus £1.95 for wrapping paper and £6.40 for flowers for our relatives.
    3rd:
    Spent the day with relatives we don't see often enough. It was a bit of a trek but well worth it.
    Felt grotty later and spent £2.50 on sweets to make my throat and mouth feel more normal. Good job I had anti-inflammatories with me, they really helped.
    4th:
    Remembered to send a cheque to pay for work at Mum's old house, though I'd forgotten to bring the right cheque book so I'll need to pay myself back from one account to another.
    Assorted gift buying and stuff... not sure what so I'll have to fill in later. I did find a good cookery shop and treated us to a new sieve for cooking (£4.95) and I happen to know DH bought me a book for Christmas. Other than that: gifts for other people. Housekeeping £2.44 spend by me and some from DH too.
    5th:
    I got the coffee and cake today: £9.65.
    Other than that we had went to a very good art gallery so DH made a donation but it didn't actually cost till we got to the shop and once again I bought gifts for people! £10.99.

So who are the lucky recipients to be? And have we covered Christmas yet? No, to the latter. We haven't even covered all the birthday running up to Christmas - but we've made a start. Dh and I both got presents for each other, his for a birthday and mine for Christmas. I got a card for someone and wrapping paper for a present (and DH had to get parcel tape and sellotape). There were the flowers for our relatives and birthday cake candles, which I have counted as food rather than split the budget even further. We bought beer for the lads (one birthday and one Christmas), wine for one section of the family and biscuits for another, marmalade for a Grandparent, a toy for one of the DSes and a game for my BiL. Good to know some of the family are 'sorted'!

I'm also taking inspiration from TOPM's thread and looking into making an Advent calendar for someone. I really like the permanent ones and have some ideas but it will cost a bit to put together so I need to make sure I know what I'm doing, or do nothing.

Tomorrow we're out all day so I'm not sure when I'll post next. Meanwhile we have an early start and I'll be travelling in pyjamas if I don't get to bed soon!
    I think a bit of sunshine is good for frugal living. (Cranky40)
    The sun's been out and I think I’m solar powered (Onebrokelady)

Fashion on the Ration challenge, 2024: Trainers 5 coupons. 5/68
    20.5 coupons used in 2020. 62.5 used in 2021. 94.5 remaining as of 21/3/22
  • Honeysucklelou2
    Options
    Have a lovely time away. The Cotswolds is so beautiful!
    paydbx2024 #2 £480/£5000 . Mortgage £144k start ~ £148k Jun 23 -
    2024 savings challenge £5/£2000
    EF £140. Savings 2 £30.00. Weekly savings envelope #17
  • missymoo81
    missymoo81 Posts: 7,695 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Sounds like you're having a lovely time, wow you must have a lot of birthdays coming up!
  • parsniphead
    parsniphead Posts: 2,897 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Enjoy your break Cherry. Bad news about feeling poorly but don't bodies always get sick when they know they can relax for a while. Treacherous.
    1 debt v's 100 days chapter 34: T3sco bank CC £250/£525.24 47.59%

[STRIKE]MBNA - [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]CAP ONE[/STRIKE] GONE, [STRIKE]YORKS BANK [/STRIKE]GONE, [STRIKE]VANQUIS[/STRIKE] GONE [STRIKE] TESCO - [/STRIKE], GONE
    TSB CARD, TSB LOAN, LLOYDS. FIVE DOWN, THREE TO GO.
  • HairyHandofDartmoor
    Options
    I went to the Cotswolds once on a primary school residential trip, back in the mists of time. It was beautiful and I'd love to go back one day.

Enjoy your holiday :)
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 😱 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017 :T 🎉
    EMERGENCY FUND 1 = £50/£5,000. EMERGENCY FUND 2 = £10/£5,000.
    CHRISTMAS SAVINGS = £0/£500. SEF = £1,400/£12,000 PREMIUM BONDS ME = £350. PREMIUM BONDS DH = £300.
    HOLIDAY MONEY = £0 TIME LEFT TO PAY OFF MORTGAGE = 5 YEARS 1 MONTHS
  • Cherryfudge
    Options
    Nearly at the end of our holiday and I am completely muddled as to who spent what. I suppose I should try to sort it out at some point but nearly all of it apart from some groceries and a £4.50 car park fee came from the account where DH's money goes, so strictly speaking it's not my spending... which is rather nice as I don't think I've ever had as many visits to coffee shops and cafes in a week in my life!

As I've already said, we've done quite well for buying presents - though as I've also mentioned, there are quite a few birthdays coming up before Christmas (and I've just remembered I owe my niece a 'proper' present, having just given her a little one when I last saw her).

I was supposed to be going out with friends tomorrow but forgot (:() so I've cried off. I probably won't get back till lateish and I have work on Monday. Then DS asked us round for later in the evening and as we've hardly seen them for some weeks it will be good to catch up.

It's shaping up to be another over-committed week. I'm at work overnight on Monday, then I have a couple of things booked on Tuesday (day off) and am hoping my leave request for the following few days has gone through. If it has, I can work on Mum's house but I'm going to treat myself to a shopping trip en route. Having lost weight I really need to get some better fitting bras and a winter top or two.

If the leave request hasn't gone through, all is not lost as I'll try for another slot and I will still have a training course and a couple of shifts to fit in! I do want to push ahead with work on the old house while the weather's still mild, though - hence the hurry.

I think that's the lot for now...

• charlies_tribe
    Options
    Sounds like you have had a lovely, much needed and deserved holiday. Hope your feeling better now.
    Have a lovely evening with your DS tomorrow.
    LBM in April 17 - £14998/£33554 (44.6%) paid. Mortgage@1 June 18 = £9935/£76350 paid.Total debt @june 18 £102311 now £84972GC Jan £40.99/£500 2021 declutter 85/2021 items 0/20 bags clothes
  • Cherryfudge
    edited 10 October 2017 at 7:25PM
    Options
    Yesterday's spends (9th):
    Housekeeping £2.31

This week's plans have changed a bit: as a colleague said to me, I have my bit of time that I wanted. :) Basically it was to be work last night, day off (i.e. dash around) today, work on Mum's house Weds-Fri, back to work on Saturday. That meant missing a training course which my manager was okay with as long as I did the course, but when I went to book another time, there was nothing I could make it to. So I'm doing the course tomorrow which will take a couple of hours, leaving me with most of the day to catch up/play on the computer then an early-ish start on Thursday to work on the house. That's better than having to trail over half the county and spend most of the day for a two-hour course later in the month.

However, the day off has gone to my head and I don't feel I've done half the things I should so I'm going to make a list to keep on track. As usual I'll update as I go along and what I don't finish can be carried forward.

To Do:
    light coloured laundry DONE
    wash curtains DONE - dried, ironed and hung back up! Woo!
    hand washing One lot done.
    clean windows DONE
    piano practice DONE
    piano lesson DONE
    prep for meeting tonight Mostly done!
    meeting friends tonight Soon :)
    ironing Started
    get dinner DONE
    buy fairy lights to hygge the dining room :)none to be found :(. Will look further afield when I have time.
    put guinea pig in his run DONE
    repay myself from Exec account DONE
    make token payment for heating replacement DONE

I'm rather pleased with the above! Just going to see if I can finish the prep for later.

• Cherryfudge
    Options
    That was a nice day. It's so good to have a couple of days basically at home. I know I've been pushing myself too much for a while and this will do me good (even if I have to spend tomorrow afternoon watching ghastly grim fire training videos and practising evacuating the building).

I did pop to the shops - as I said above, I couldn't find fairy lights so I'll keep a look out elsewhere. I might look on line for those long twigs that light up: our old ones are losing bulbs but they've been so pretty. I did succumb to a packet of coloured pens - eight for £2 in W!lkos, while I bought just three of the same make for £8 once in London. So I am justifying that completely unnecessary spend because they are colourful and will get used. :D

I did very well at the greengrocer (I don't go there often enough) with a bag of huge apples for 99p, and from their discount section, a cauliflower for 20p and four pomegranates for 40p. Then I got salad leaves for 20p in the supermarket, plus a bag of chestnuts for £1.20 and some other bits and pieces.

I sent a token £1 to the company that's going to replace the heating system in Mum's house - if it goes through all right - and I can misread numbers so I'm taking no chances - then I'll pay the rest of the deposit once I know it's going into the right account.

Spends:
    Housekeeping £4.88
    Stationery £2.00
    Piano lesson £10.00
    MS stuff:
    Good bargains in fruit and veg.
    Had a look at the mortgage account: the £1000 saved for possible change in mortgage type is still there, plus much of last month's wages and some extra from not having overpaid recently. So I made the overpayment today (leaving room for manoeuvre later in the month) and I'm delighted to say we've dipped below the £14,000 mark!
    I've paid myself back from the Executor's Account for the wages I paid last week on behalf of the estate. The returning money has gone into the holiday savings account with the hope of making our 'big trip' in a year's time. Don't get too excited though - it's the spending money for just over one day. :D

• Treadingonplaymobil
    Options
    Sounds like a good day. Our only greengrocer is a wildly expensive organic one - even the reduced stuff is out of my budget!

Fairy lights make everything so lovely, you've inspired me to crack some of mine out!
    Trying to figure out a whole new life. Trying to figure out a whole new budget.
    Divorcing, unclear on final debt total right now, but focusing on building a financial buffer zone.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure
  • 15.9K Discuss & Feedback