Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 3rd Mar 17, 12:10 AM
    • 1,614Posts
    • 8,537Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Cherry takes the reins
    • 3rd Mar 17, 12:10 AM
    Cherry takes the reins 3rd Mar 17 at 12:10 AM
    Hi everyone.

I'm hoping I can legitimately post a diary here as I'm in the blessed position at the moment of my only actual debt being my mortgage, but I've had a huge change in my circumstances recently and how I manage it will have a big impact on our finances.

I need to talk things through, if only with myself, and motivate myself with small money savings and accountability. For the last few years I've not kept an eye on money but I work and DH's pay has gone up so we've had enough and a bit to spare and I've got lazy with some and wasn't mentally able to face other aspects. Now that I'm in a much better place mentally, I want to take the reins and be deliberate about what I spend. I need to start facing up to this right now because we are covering costs for my Mum's estate until probate is settled. I know this isn't legally necessary but we can pay ourselves back from the estate once the paperwork goes through and I don't like the estate to be building up debt (which oddly is possible).

A bit late tonight to launch into details about the estate so I will give a brief explanation of other financial stuff. DH and I have a couple of joint accounts and a mortgage. We have an aging car which needs to be replaced soon and is essential (DH's work and transport for a disabled relative). We are also going to a family wedding abroad in July, and have paid accommodation and air fares but there will also be car hire, food, sundries and some of the clothes still to buy. DH's income is the larger and pays all the utilities, holidays, fuel and etceteras. Mine goes into the other joint account and pays the mortgage and food, which gives me a lot of pride . I also pay for contact lenses, some donations which I don't want to stop, my phone contract and, temporarily, costs incurred trying to sort Mum's estate.

The breakdown of where my money goes (pcm):
    Mortgage: 282.24
    Donations: 120.00
    Contact lenses: 22.00
    Phone 8.40
    Amazon Prime: 7.99
    Food for 4 adults 80.00 (pw) (approx. 347 pm)

Income:
    Roughly 1,000 pcm (variable due to overtime)
    Bank £3 (if I get my wages transferred regularly)

This month and possibly next I have lots of extra fairly hefty outgoings in terms of travel, paying a cleaner, insurance etc. that are all to do with Mum's estate. I will, as I said, get these back from my eventual inheritance but meanwhile I want to tread carefully and of course it will decrease what I inherit. Duh.

To encourage myself I'm keeping this diary and would love to hear from others as I do so. I can't always see things clearly till others give input.

Action I can see I need to take:
    Get my wages paid directly into this account so I always get that £3! Done in time for May 2017
    Cancel Amazon Prime - cancelled 7/3/17

Little MS things I've managed today:
    Started this diary
    Taken lunch to work - overnight oats
    Mended a favourite cardigan so I can wear it in daylight
    Put myself down for 3 extra shifts. 2 of these particular type of shifts pay for a journey to work on Mum's house.

Uh-ohs
    Forgot DH had an evening meeting so went for the quick-cook supermarket pizza which isn't best use of food money when I could have been using stuff up.
    Far too tired after a late night and an early shift, to go for a run. I know that's nothing to do with money but for lent and my waistline I'm doing C25K.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 31-05-2017 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Update
Page 35
    • XSpender
    • By XSpender 9th Feb 18, 6:37 PM
    • 2,934 Posts
    • 30,103 Thanks
    XSpender
    I hope you are feeling better this evening.

I love frozen veg, except frozen carrots, as I never use up fresh veg quick enough.

My old work colleague passed on a student tip about potato waffles - they cook quickly in the toaster!
    Action Plan Part 1 - Clear First 3 Balances
    Target Debt Lloyds (Me) Part 1 £666.22/£0
    Target Debt Virgin (Me) Part 1 £1176.49/£599.42
    Target Debt Virgin (Me) Part 2 £1038/£1038
    Big black hole of debt - £53,515.15 @ 16.12.17 £52,811.64 @ 28.02.18, £50,638.77 @ 28.03.18, £49,778.78 @ 20.04.18
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 9th Feb 18, 10:55 PM
    • 1,614 Posts
    • 8,537 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I feel so much better than I did this time yesterday! I'm still off sick tomorrow though. I'm only feeling well because of doing nowt and if I go back to normal I won't recover as effectively.

Nothing spent today (DH kindly picked up some bread and paracetemol for me).

ETA Spends:
    Paid the milk at last! Housekeeping £54.68.
    In future I'm paying monthly via the bank but the cash is going in our change jar so DH can have it for emergency food shopping. Hopefully that should work.

I came across a useful portion calculator this evening. I have never quite got my head around the recommended amount of cereal (6 tbsp./40g) but creeping portion sizes apparently have crept up on us all. I thought shrinkflation was a problem till I saw it from that pov. It doesn't help me with clearing cupboards and freezer, but it might help me with a healthy life style.

Off to bed soon, I hope. I've really enjoyed all our chatter today!
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 10-02-2018 at 3:04 PM.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 9th Feb 18, 11:13 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 5,523 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    The children are gutted when i tell them the little boxes of cereal are actually a serving,they easily eat 2 at a time.

Glad you are feeling a bit better.
    LBM in April 17 - £6655/£33554 (19.8%) paid.
    2018 PAID OFF TARGET £1031/£5000 (20.6% paid)
    SPC #591
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 10th Feb 18, 2:54 PM
    • 1,614 Posts
    • 8,537 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Being a bit poorly is definitely good for the finances (so ling as I stay reading these boards and not online shopping). I had hardly spent any of my 'food' budget this week, though this was partly because I had some left over from last week. DH has had to pay for quite a bit despite all my cooking earlier in the week so I have given him £20 from 'my' share. It's only 'mine' because we both food shop: it's from a joint account. I have washed my hair to make myself feel better and once it's dry I'm going to attempt a walk down to the shops to top up my supplies. If that goes okay, I'm back to work tomorrow.

I'm going to have to edit one of my NSDs as I don't think I included that long-overdue milk bill of nearly £55! I'm not thinking straight and feeling a bit light headed which is a bit concerning if I'm to go back to work. Actually I feel a bit worse today than yesterday but not really poorly, just a bit grotty so I'm uncertain. The other day I knew for sure I needed to be off and I'm not so certain now... sorry, just trying to think it through, will stop waffling in a minute.

On a positive note, the leave-in hair conditioner I treated myself to the other day feels really nice. (Now I need one for my face to get rid of the pale blotchy look which is not going to catch on. )

No cooking achieved for a couple of days but I still have recipes for yogurt/orange/turmeric cake and roasted chick peas so if I get to the shops I will get ingredients.
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 10th Feb 18, 4:22 PM
    • 341 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Being a bit poorly is definitely good for the finances (so ling as I stay reading these boards and not online shopping). I had hardly spent any of my 'food' budget this week, though this was partly because I had some left over from last week. DH has had to pay for quite a bit despite all my cooking earlier in the week so I have given him £20 from 'my' share. It's only 'mine' because we both food shop: it's from a joint account. I have washed my hair to make myself feel better and once it's dry I'm going to attempt a walk down to the shops to top up my supplies. If that goes okay, I'm back to work tomorrow.

I'm going to have to edit one of my NSDs as I don't think I included that long-overdue milk bill of nearly £55! I'm not thinking straight and feeling a bit light headed which is a bit concerning if I'm to go back to work. Actually I feel a bit worse today than yesterday but not really poorly, just a bit grotty so I'm uncertain. The other day I knew for sure I needed to be off and I'm not so certain now... sorry, just trying to think it through, will stop waffling in a minute.

On a positive note, the leave-in hair conditioner I treated myself to the other day feels really nice. (Now I need one for my face to get rid of the pale blotchy look which is not going to catch on. )

No cooking achieved for a couple of days but I still have recipes for yogurt/orange/turmeric cake and roasted chick peas so if I get to the shops I will get ingredients.
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    Sorry your still not feeling great,I,would take the day off if you can, so you can be sure you are properly recovered,the bugs going round at the moment are really nasty and tend to linger for a while, I actually felt worse this morning but now Iím actually feeling a bit better and I have finally made the banana bread,itís in the oven as I type
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £502 Debt Now = £17,128
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 10th Feb 18, 7:28 PM
    • 1,614 Posts
    • 8,537 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I could just eat some banana bread (hot from the oven and buttered!) right now OBL! I hope you're enjoying yours.

I have taken tomorrow off... I had my walk into town which went better than expected but I had to walk a little more slowly and focus a bit harder. Even so I know my brain's not in gear. I did things like putting my shopping list away and holding onto my phone when it was the shopping list I needed. I know I do things like that anyway but I seem to have a special inclination to get mixed up right now.

I did make a careful list and went to various shops (except I forgot one, see above) so as to avoid another trip in the near future. I even went further afield to get my coffee sachets at half price, only to find they had gone up by 50p in that shop and down to half price in MrT! I have therefore spent an accidental 50p.

I did find a stray 5p to help make up for it.

I met Mr Fudge in the supermarket so we ended up pooling funds and getting quite a lot of shopping as he is making casserole tomorrow and I have my recipes all planned for. The £20 I'd handed to him earlier turned into his share! I got a lift home with him.

Spends:
    Housekeeping 1) £4.26 (this week and next week's milk bill)
    Housekeeping 2) £9.23
    Medication £7.04
    MS stuff:
    Wombled 5p
    Got some of my coffee at half price
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 10th Feb 18, 8:45 PM
    • 1,393 Posts
    • 11,671 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Hope you're feeling a bit better after getting out for some fresh air.

I think taking another day of work is the best idea, give yourself time to recover more and hopefully prevent it getting worse or spreading.

x
    ďOnce you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.Ē
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 10th Feb 18, 10:37 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 5,523 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Ouch to the milk man! we used to do it regularly, we both worked nights and used to miss him for ages. Luckily DH mum paid him if it got to much and we would pay them back. When it got to drinking 4-6 pints a day we decided it would be cheaper to buy it from the supermarket. I still hate the mornings i get up and realise there is no milk for a cup of tea.
    SPC #591
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 11th Feb 18, 12:26 AM
    • 1,614 Posts
    • 8,537 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    So right about that feeling in the morning - 'Must put kettle on... must open eyes...' Many times I've been glad there was a pinta on the doorstep (apart from when there was a different delivery person who left it so close to the door I nearly walked into it). There's also a feeling of continuity somehow, like when I have a line of washing blowing in the wind: the container full of sparkling milk bottles waiting to be collected must surely be proof that I am a competent housewife, no matter what the evidence is to the contrary. But 4 to 6 pints - wow! that would have been expensive!
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 11th Feb 18, 12:40 AM
    • 1,614 Posts
    • 8,537 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I think I must be over the worst of the cold: you are right Wannabe, the fresh air did help. I'm glad I took tomorrow as well though because I think a shift will be tiring.

We had an adventure this evening: a cupboard came down in the kitchen! It was old and I think the back gave way, as the plaster seems okay behind it and there were only plastic boxes and biscuit cutters in there. Rather a lot of them but not enough to pull it down.

DS heard it creaking and shored it up while Dh and I formed an emergency evacuation chain and dumped the contents all over the place. DS and DH have now dumped the broken cupboard out in the rain and DH has promised to take it to the tip tomorrow - no way am I having it in the middle of the lawn any longer than strictly necessary!

It does create a few problems though. The kitchen was supposed to be done next year: we are decorating the lounge at the moment because everywhere needs decorating and we don't have time/skills/energy but DH has taken annual leave to work on the lounge so at least we have one good room. The kitchen was supposed to have a lick of paint and wait its turn as there's a lot of work to do and it'll be very disruptive. The electrics have been replaced and I'm not aspiring to new white goods but tiles and cupboards needed attention. Now it looks like one of those city streets where a bomb had fallen in war time and the buildings had never been replaced. Very gap-toothed.

I've gathered most of the tupperware into boxes and dumped it in DD's room as she is away and won't see it for a few days (she doesn't live at home anyway). I've cleaned the wall (it's always dirty behind fixtures and fittings) and even filled the holes where the fixings have pulled out, so it doesn't look quite as dire as it did. I do think I need to do serious research into a new set of cupboards and tiles, though - and some plastering as there is an area which needs taking back to brick and redoing.

Well, I won't solve it tonight but I think I'm going to have to start a savings pot - and we haven't even saved all the spending money for our big holiday in the Autumn yet! No putting the kitchen off for another year, though.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 11-02-2018 at 1:08 AM.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 11th Feb 18, 12:49 AM
    • 793 Posts
    • 3,172 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Hope you are feeling much better now.
    paydbx #93 £642/£8,000.
    Loan £17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans £3342 March 2017. £3123 in Jan 18
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 11th Feb 18, 11:43 PM
    • 1,614 Posts
    • 8,537 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I think the cold has just about gone. Just the lingering symptoms but I don't feel infectious, if you know what I mean.

Nothing spent today.

The broken cupboard has gone to the tip but I have gone to put things in it a few times! I have tackled most of a base cupboard today: pans all over the place as I gave it a thorough clean out and worked out how to get a new layer of sticky-backed plastic in to replace the one that was there when we moved in and could be over a quarter of a century old! So we now have what looks at a glance like nice bleached wood shelving in there and most of the pans are back. I don't want to get rid of the cupboards on that side of the kitchen: they were built for the house and make good use of the space so I'm just trying to improve how they look.

Nothing else to report, no progress into the food stocks unless you count finishing the last little bit of Christmas cake. Work tomorrow afternoon and overnight so I may be back during the day.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 11th Feb 18, 11:48 PM
    • 755 Posts
    • 5,523 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Glad you are feeling better.
    SPC #591
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 12th Feb 18, 12:37 AM
    • 341 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    I could just eat some banana bread (hot from the oven and buttered!) right now OBL! I hope you're enjoying yours.

I have taken tomorrow off... I had my walk into town which went better than expected but I had to walk a little more slowly and focus a bit harder. Even so I know my brain's not in gear. I did things like putting my shopping list away and holding onto my phone when it was the shopping list I needed. I know I do things like that anyway but I seem to have a special inclination to get mixed up right now.

I did make a careful list and went to various shops (except I forgot one, see above) so as to avoid another trip in the near future. I even went further afield to get my coffee sachets at half price, only to find they had gone up by 50p in that shop and down to half price in MrT! I have therefore spent an accidental 50p.
    I did find a stray 5p to help make up for it.

I met Mr Fudge in the supermarket so we ended up pooling funds and getting quite a lot of shopping as he is making casserole tomorrow and I have my recipes all planned for. The £20 I'd handed to him earlier turned into his share! I got a lift home with him.

Spends:
    Housekeeping 1) £4.26 (this week and next week's milk bill)
    Housekeeping 2) £9.23
    Medication £7.04
    MS stuff:
    Wombled 5p
    Got some of my coffee at half price
    The banana bread was interesting,I still only had two bananas so tofor some bizarre reason I decided to chuck some marmalade in to make it a bit more moist,I must have got carried away though as it just tasted of marmalade with a hint of banana,it canít have tasted too bad though because it was all gone by this morning
    Good for you taking the day off,sometimes we just need a day to get over things,I am still trying to decide whether to go back to work on Tuesday,I actually feel quite a bit better this evening,but Iíve yet to try lying down to go to sleep,Iím going to see ho I feel tomorrow and then phone them at lunch time to let them know,hope you have a speedy recovery
    Just keep swimming
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 12th Feb 18, 12:39 AM
    • 1,614 Posts
    • 8,537 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    You could have invented a good new recipe there, OBL!

I found that once I'd turned the corner I improved pretty quickly, hopefully you will too. People tell me there's a cough still to come though.
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 12th Feb 18, 12:42 AM
    • 341 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    I think the cold has just about gone. Just the lingering symptoms but I don't feel infectious, if you know what I mean.

Nothing spent today.

The broken cupboard has gone to the tip but I have gone to put things in it a few times! I have tackled most of a base cupboard today: pans all over the place as I gave it a thorough clean out and worked out how to get a new layer of sticky-backed plastic in to replace the one that was there when we moved in and could be over a quarter of a century old! So we now have what looks at a glance like nice bleached wood shelving in there and most of the pans are back. I don't want to get rid of the cupboards on that side of the kitchen: they were built for the house and make good use of the space so I'm just trying to improve how they look.

Nothing else to report, no progress into the food stocks unless you count finishing the last little bit of Christmas cake. Work tomorrow afternoon and overnight so I may be back during the day.
    How annoying about the cupboard,one of my cupboard doors fell off back in the summer and I still havenít fixed it,I have the hinges I just have a feeling itís going to turn into one of those jobs where itís more complicated than it looks,I have lots to do in my house but every time I get some time to do it lately Iíve been too ill,this weekend I was meant to be sorting and emptying the box room so my newish GS has somewhere to have a nap when I start looking after him in March,but again Iíve been too ill for the third weekend in a row,I think Iím going to start sneaking jobs in midweek in the hope that my body doesnít catch on and sabotage me
    Just keep swimming
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 12th Feb 18, 10:02 AM
    • 1,597 Posts
    • 9,526 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Could you put some cheap and cheerful shelves in the gap as a temporary measure?
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 12th Feb 18, 10:23 AM
    • 1,393 Posts
    • 11,671 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Glad your feeling better

Have a good day

x
    ďOnce you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.Ē
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 12th Feb 18, 1:43 PM
    • 1,614 Posts
    • 8,537 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Could you put some cheap and cheerful shelves in the gap as a temporary measure?
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    That's a great idea thanks redo! Will post here to let people know what progress I make.
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 12th Feb 18, 1:54 PM
    • 341 Posts
    • 933 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    You could have invented a good new recipe there, OBL!

I found that once I'd turned the corner I improved pretty quickly, hopefully you will too. People tell me there's a cough still to come though.
    I really hope you donít get the cough,I wouldnít wish it on anyone,the cough is what is still playing me up,Iím waiting on a call back from the docs after coughing non stop this morning,I just couldnít get a break in between,Sodís law now Iíve called my gp itís stopped,I just canít decide if I should go back to work tomorrow but if I donít I need a sick cert for the time off,I have a self certificate for the first week but need one from today for this week if Iím not going back,sitting here now I feel like I would be ok but Iím not sure what I will be like in the morning
    Just keep swimming
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,024Posts Today

7,781Users online

Martin's Twitter