Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 3rd Mar 17, 12:10 AM
    • 1,701Posts
    • 9,150Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Cherry takes the reins
    • 3rd Mar 17, 12:10 AM
    Cherry takes the reins 3rd Mar 17 at 12:10 AM
    Hi everyone.

I'm hoping I can legitimately post a diary here as I'm in the blessed position at the moment of my only actual debt being my mortgage, but I've had a huge change in my circumstances recently and how I manage it will have a big impact on our finances.

I need to talk things through, if only with myself, and motivate myself with small money savings and accountability. For the last few years I've not kept an eye on money but I work and DH's pay has gone up so we've had enough and a bit to spare and I've got lazy with some and wasn't mentally able to face other aspects. Now that I'm in a much better place mentally, I want to take the reins and be deliberate about what I spend. I need to start facing up to this right now because we are covering costs for my Mum's estate until probate is settled. I know this isn't legally necessary but we can pay ourselves back from the estate once the paperwork goes through and I don't like the estate to be building up debt (which oddly is possible).

A bit late tonight to launch into details about the estate so I will give a brief explanation of other financial stuff. DH and I have a couple of joint accounts and a mortgage. We have an aging car which needs to be replaced soon and is essential (DH's work and transport for a disabled relative). We are also going to a family wedding abroad in July, and have paid accommodation and air fares but there will also be car hire, food, sundries and some of the clothes still to buy. DH's income is the larger and pays all the utilities, holidays, fuel and etceteras. Mine goes into the other joint account and pays the mortgage and food, which gives me a lot of pride . I also pay for contact lenses, some donations which I don't want to stop, my phone contract and, temporarily, costs incurred trying to sort Mum's estate.

The breakdown of where my money goes (pcm):
    Mortgage: 282.24
    Donations: 120.00
    Contact lenses: 22.00
    Phone 8.40
    Amazon Prime: 7.99
    Food for 4 adults 80.00 (pw) (approx. 347 pm)

Income:
    Roughly 1,000 pcm (variable due to overtime)
    Bank £3 (if I get my wages transferred regularly)

This month and possibly next I have lots of extra fairly hefty outgoings in terms of travel, paying a cleaner, insurance etc. that are all to do with Mum's estate. I will, as I said, get these back from my eventual inheritance but meanwhile I want to tread carefully and of course it will decrease what I inherit. Duh.

To encourage myself I'm keeping this diary and would love to hear from others as I do so. I can't always see things clearly till others give input.

Action I can see I need to take:
    Get my wages paid directly into this account so I always get that £3! Done in time for May 2017
    Cancel Amazon Prime - cancelled 7/3/17

Little MS things I've managed today:
    Started this diary
    Taken lunch to work - overnight oats
    Mended a favourite cardigan so I can wear it in daylight
    Put myself down for 3 extra shifts. 2 of these particular type of shifts pay for a journey to work on Mum's house.

Uh-ohs
    Forgot DH had an evening meeting so went for the quick-cook supermarket pizza which isn't best use of food money when I could have been using stuff up.
    Far too tired after a late night and an early shift, to go for a run. I know that's nothing to do with money but for lent and my waistline I'm doing C25K.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 31-05-2017 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Update
Page 34
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 9th Feb 18, 4:03 AM
    • 829 Posts
    • 3,317 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    We get through half to three quarters of a bag of frozen veg each meal too!

Re banana bread, we chop up 3 oz of sultanas and 3oz of dried apricots and add to the ingredients. Only trouble is, it's demolished so quickly
    paydbx #93 £692/£8,000.
    Loan £17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans £3342 March 2017. £3123 in Jan 18
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 9th Feb 18, 5:31 AM
    • 1,579 Posts
    • 15,317 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Loving all the baking chat. We increasingly use frozen veg - saves the risk of anything going to waste. Especially broccoli, even though it's a tiny bit squashy from frozen, we were so often throwing away half a head here or there that it makes more sense to buy frozen.

Ooh, and the banana bread chat has reminded me I was going to make another mincemeat cake today!
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017: £38,608 unsecured debt/£20,000 parental loan/£173,282 mortgage = £231,890
    debt on 13th May 2018: £13,648.58 unsecured debt/£20,000 parental loan/£192,680.11 mortgage = £226,328.69
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 9th Feb 18, 11:58 AM
    • 1,701 Posts
    • 9,150 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I'm laid on the bed as I haven't even got the energy to walk downstairs. I've just read through xspenders thread over on OS. That's exactly what I need to do but won't be anywhere near as exciting with nuggets and waffles.
    Thank you for the recommendation.
    Originally posted by charlies tribe
    Hope you are feeling better soon.
    Ooh... waffles! The potato sort with melted cheese over and maybe a slice of tomato? One thing I know for sure I haven't got. Shame!
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 9th Feb 18, 12:00 PM
    • 1,534 Posts
    • 13,212 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Got potatoes? Make some

Hope you have a good day

x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 9th Feb 18, 12:03 PM
    • 760 Posts
    • 5,574 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Hope you are feeling better soon.
    Ooh... waffles! The potato sort with melted cheese over and maybe a slice of tomato? One thing I know for sure I haven't got. Shame!
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    Thank you.
    That does sound rather nice! I've only ever thought of them as a quick meal for the children.
    We have a pantry full of egg waffles, they go down well too (so does the syrup bottle!).
    LBM in April 17 - £6655/£33554 (19.8%) paid.
    2018 PAID OFF TARGET £1031/£5000 (20.6% paid)
    SPC #591
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 9th Feb 18, 12:12 PM
    • 1,701 Posts
    • 9,150 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    If and when I ever get useable space in the freezer, I will buy bags of veg! I especially like the idea of shaking it in a butter tub - don't know why butter works so well, but it does.

The only frozen veg I keep in a the moment are peas and spinach, with sometimes a bag of sweetcorn too. There are always carrots in the fridge (and onions in a cloth bag) - but what else do people like as a standby/essential veg in the freezer?

Well, not a lot going on here today... I came down with this cold that's been debilitating people, struggled through my shift yesterday and knew by part way through that I couldn't do the same today so I've called in sick and am in bed keeping warm under a winter weight duvet, with two fleeces, a hot water bottle, double layer of socks and the heating on! I think something is wrong with my own thermostat as normally I overheat easily! However sleep has helped and doing nothing is also helping - I doubt I'm going far today.

I did make it to the supermarket yesterday, and downloaded a couple of cheap books, so there has been a bit of spending. I also bought my spike for receipts! I think it's coming from the far East so it may be a while.

8/2/18 Spends:
    Housekeeping £1.79
    Pets £2.00
    Books/download £1.69?
    Statioery £1.74?
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 9th Feb 18, 12:18 PM
    • 1,534 Posts
    • 13,212 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Oh no hope you feel better soon There's some horrid bugs flying around!

I don't use frozen veg I can't cook it right. We do have a mixed veg bag in there though and green beans. I think someone must have given them us (We take stuff being thrown out by mum and my sister often)
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 9th Feb 18, 12:19 PM
    • 1,701 Posts
    • 9,150 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Got potatoes? Make some

Hope you have a good day

x
    Originally posted by WannabeFree
    I do actually have a waffle iron... I suppose mash, a bit of seasoning and brush the iron thing with melted butter? I confess I've only ever made the sort that use batter, and I kind of invented a thick pancake batter as I didn't know what to use.

I need to get back to running because I can't cope with all these calories any other way!
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 9th Feb 18, 12:20 PM
    • 760 Posts
    • 5,574 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Hope you're feeling better soon.

We cheat and have mainly bags of different mixed veg. I have said i'm going to get single bags though, carrots, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, sweetcorn.
    LBM in April 17 - £6655/£33554 (19.8%) paid.
    2018 PAID OFF TARGET £1031/£5000 (20.6% paid)
    SPC #591
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 9th Feb 18, 12:27 PM
    • 1,701 Posts
    • 9,150 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Oh no hope you feel better soon There's some horrid bugs flying around!

I don't use frozen veg I can't cook it right. We do have a mixed veg bag in there though and green beans. I think someone must have given them us (We take stuff being thrown out by mum and my sister often)
    Thank you, I think if I rest I should soon be okay.

I use frozen veg sometimes at work: I think it's bought in for convenience but we also have the most superb fresh veg supplier so if I'm organised I will use fresh (or prep and freeze to save beautiful stuff getting thrown out). I found commercially frozen broccoli and cauliflower have all the charm of wallpaper paste but when I've blanched and frozen cauliflower at home it wasn't too bad. I think green beans will be in my revamped freezer (if and when), and we occasionally have those mediterranean veg medleys but I'm sure I could do a HM one for a fraction of the priace. I do freeze mushrooms too because I always buy more than I need.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 9th Feb 18, 12:32 PM
    • 1,701 Posts
    • 9,150 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Hope you're feeling better soon.

We cheat and have mainly bags of different mixed veg. I have said i'm going to get single bags though, carrots, peas, broccoli, cauliflower, sweetcorn.
    Originally posted by charlies tribe
    Thanks

You missed parsnips. I've just realised that's another thing I buy too much of and end up freezing some. They always seem to go on YS at the supermarket.

The mixed veg are a good way of sneakily getting variety into the family . I've been known to do that at work, too.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 9th Feb 18, 3:02 PM
    • 1,701 Posts
    • 9,150 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Well, here's an odd thing... I got a message to say my password hadn't been changed for 268 days and would I please reset it.

268 days is such a strange number but never mind, I've reset it anyway.

I'm now up and about and tempted to go out in the sunshine but common sense tells me I'm feeling better because I've rested, so nothing too ambitious. DS had just got in with the news that he's passed an assignment. It was one he wasn't optimistic about so that's very good news.

P.S. I think I need to put the money aside every week from now on!

Some spending about to come up: our overdue milk bill! Poor milkman kept missing us so we asked for the details to pay by bank transfer - It dates back to September!!! As I usually work the evening he calls round I hadn't registered how long it had been.
    • UncannyScot
    • By UncannyScot 9th Feb 18, 3:04 PM
    • 1,415 Posts
    • 7,937 Thanks
    UncannyScot
    Well, here's an odd thing... I got a message to say my password hadn't been changed for 268 days and would I please reset it.

268 days is such a strange number but never mind, I've reset it anyway.

I'm now up and about and tempted to go out in the sunshine but common sense tells me I'm feeling better because I've rested, so nothing too ambitious. DS had just got in with the news that he's passed an assignment. It was one he wasn't optimistic about so that's very good news.

P.S. I think I need to put the money aside every week from now on!

Some spending about to come up: our overdue milk bill! Poor milkman kept missing us so we asked for the details to pay by bank transfer - It dates back to September!!! As I usually work the evening he calls round I hadn't registered how long it had been.
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    Just had to update my details as well, think the Forum Team are working on something
    BUGGRITMILLENIUMHANDANDSHRIMP I TOLD EM! - Foul Ole Ron
    It is important that we know where we come from, because if you do not know where you come from, then you do not know where you are, and if you don't know where you are, then you don't know where you are going. If you don't know where you're going, you're probably going wrong.
    R.I.P. T.P.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 9th Feb 18, 3:21 PM
    • 1,701 Posts
    • 9,150 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    That would explain a lot. Somehow I want to send them a bunch of flowers or something to show my appreciation of all their hard work: there must be many hours of it going on behind the scenes.
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 9th Feb 18, 3:44 PM
    • 362 Posts
    • 978 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    I just had to update mine toobut it said 123 days which is a bit random,I hope you get better soon xx
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = £17,630 Paid To Date = £636.00 Total Now Owed = £16,994
    Emergency Fund = £400.00 Xmas savings = £200.00
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 9th Feb 18, 4:00 PM
    • 1,676 Posts
    • 10,044 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Freezer veg - bought as frozen veg: petit pois, green beans, chopped peppers and sweetcorn. Mixed value veg for the boys. I have a bag each of rajah blocks (85p in MrM) garlic, ginger and chilli from which a curry base is never far way, fast and easy when my hands are playing up.

If they are RTC then I have parsnips, blanched and ready to roast. I love them, everyone else hates them. I tend to add to the peppers bag regularly as I buy the big value bags of fresh ones, and no one likes the green ones raw so they get hidden in chilli.

Waffles because they are the only potato product that both boys will eat! Charliestribe, I feel your pain. DS2 is also known as 'The Boy Who Doesn't eat' so anything he does like is encouraged, regardless of expense or nutritional value. I did buy some oven chips today but they are for me, at least I hope they are oven chips not frying ones. Shouldn't be allowed in shops when I am tired!
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 9th Feb 18, 4:09 PM
    • 1,701 Posts
    • 9,150 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Mixed peppers are a good one - we always seem to have wilting fresh ones!

I'd never heard of Rajah blocks but sometimes get to Mr M so I'll have to remember to look in their freezers.
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 9th Feb 18, 4:20 PM
    • 1,534 Posts
    • 13,212 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    I also had to do a password change Because it hadn't been changed for 80 days. I didn't realise I'd had this new name for 80 days

I also keep the frozen garlic and ginger too, and red wine and stock. I think I'm a food hoarder

x
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 9th Feb 18, 4:46 PM
    • 1,701 Posts
    • 9,150 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I suppose it may have been that because you'd have set up your ID again - you could check against the start of your latest diary - but it looks as though we've all had to do it. I tried to get in again using an old ID but it wants to change my Cherryfudge password yet again as I'd used the same email... so maybe I'm locked out of that ID for good? Or maybe I need to try via a different computer.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 9th Feb 18, 4:49 PM
    • 1,701 Posts
    • 9,150 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I also keep the frozen garlic and ginger too, and red wine and stock. I think I'm a food hoarder
    I've not long ago thrown out stock from the Christmas before last - reckoned it would never be used. I had old 'fresh' garlic and ginger in the fridge and red wine in the larder - shall we start a thread for food hoarders anonymous?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

643Posts Today

5,717Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin