Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 3rd Mar 17, 12:10 AM
    • 1,757Posts
    • 9,631Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Cherry takes the reins
    • 3rd Mar 17, 12:10 AM
    Cherry takes the reins 3rd Mar 17 at 12:10 AM
    Hi everyone.

I'm hoping I can legitimately post a diary here as I'm in the blessed position at the moment of my only actual debt being my mortgage, but I've had a huge change in my circumstances recently and how I manage it will have a big impact on our finances.

I need to talk things through, if only with myself, and motivate myself with small money savings and accountability. For the last few years I've not kept an eye on money but I work and DH's pay has gone up so we've had enough and a bit to spare and I've got lazy with some and wasn't mentally able to face other aspects. Now that I'm in a much better place mentally, I want to take the reins and be deliberate about what I spend. I need to start facing up to this right now because we are covering costs for my Mum's estate until probate is settled. I know this isn't legally necessary but we can pay ourselves back from the estate once the paperwork goes through and I don't like the estate to be building up debt (which oddly is possible).

A bit late tonight to launch into details about the estate so I will give a brief explanation of other financial stuff. DH and I have a couple of joint accounts and a mortgage. We have an aging car which needs to be replaced soon and is essential (DH's work and transport for a disabled relative). We are also going to a family wedding abroad in July, and have paid accommodation and air fares but there will also be car hire, food, sundries and some of the clothes still to buy. DH's income is the larger and pays all the utilities, holidays, fuel and etceteras. Mine goes into the other joint account and pays the mortgage and food, which gives me a lot of pride . I also pay for contact lenses, some donations which I don't want to stop, my phone contract and, temporarily, costs incurred trying to sort Mum's estate.

The breakdown of where my money goes (pcm):
    Mortgage: 282.24
    Donations: 120.00
    Contact lenses: 22.00
    Phone 8.40
    Amazon Prime: 7.99
    Food for 4 adults 80.00 (pw) (approx. 347 pm)

Income:
    Roughly 1,000 pcm (variable due to overtime)
    Bank £3 (if I get my wages transferred regularly)

This month and possibly next I have lots of extra fairly hefty outgoings in terms of travel, paying a cleaner, insurance etc. that are all to do with Mum's estate. I will, as I said, get these back from my eventual inheritance but meanwhile I want to tread carefully and of course it will decrease what I inherit. Duh.

To encourage myself I'm keeping this diary and would love to hear from others as I do so. I can't always see things clearly till others give input.

Action I can see I need to take:
    Get my wages paid directly into this account so I always get that £3! Done in time for May 2017
    Cancel Amazon Prime - cancelled 7/3/17

Little MS things I've managed today:
    Started this diary
    Taken lunch to work - overnight oats
    Mended a favourite cardigan so I can wear it in daylight
    Put myself down for 3 extra shifts. 2 of these particular type of shifts pay for a journey to work on Mum's house.

Uh-ohs
    Forgot DH had an evening meeting so went for the quick-cook supermarket pizza which isn't best use of food money when I could have been using stuff up.
    Far too tired after a late night and an early shift, to go for a run. I know that's nothing to do with money but for lent and my waistline I'm doing C25K.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 31-05-2017 at 10:21 PM. Reason: Update
Page 28
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 4th Jan 18, 3:36 PM
    • 1,757 Posts
    • 9,631 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Well, I got into a tizzy with all the things I am telling myself I have to do so I've spent the intervening time trying to make a dent in the list while calming down. This involved realising I was starting different projects in different rooms and forgetting them as I found something else to distract me. Eventually I realised I couldn't do the painting in the kitchen while researching a recipe in the dining room and ironing in the lounge!

I've tried to cut back on the coffee and sugar today, as they don't help the tizziness (if there is such a thing). Instead I did the ironing and actually got most of it put away. Then I found a recipe and wrote it out - a small adaptation will mean I don't have to go shopping. That's just as well as it's miserable here today. I'm glad I got the washing done yesterday.

Next project was the kitchen paint. I'm having a break from that now. At first I thought the paint had separated irreversibly but a bit of googling and it seems water-based paint may remix sometimes. I've tried that and I think I'm winning.

I've stuffed a few more items into the recycling - we forgot to take the bin out just before Christmas so this is an exercise in creativity. Some tiny inroads made into the paper clutter mountain, hurrah!

I suppose it's all money-saving as I've stayed away from the shops so far today and used things I already had in!
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 4th Jan 18, 8:05 PM
    • 1,757 Posts
    • 9,631 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    And... it's still a NSD.

The sausage casserole was uninspiring and there's an annoying mini-portion left which I think will have to go in the freezer as there are no lunch spaces in the next few days. The cous cous was okay but vinegar-y, until I had the inspiration to add honey. The honey balance isn't right yet but it takes the raw edge off the taste quite nicely. Still a couple of portions of that to eat as well.

MS Stuff:
    Used up a pack of frozen sausages
    Used up some red peppers
    Made inroads into lentils and cous cous.
    Found I still have three packs of Christmas veg in the shed! And apart from some yellow leaves on the outside of a cabbage, they are okay.
    Printed out vouchers
    Remembered (and found) I have one of those laundry balls that's supposed to be cheaper than detergent.
    Kept the status of my NSD by not asking DH to get me curry powder - the parsnips can wait another day.
    Looking at sales for next Christmas's presents but hanging fire till midnight or the morning - it won't hurt to have a bit more thinking time.
    Resurrected the kitchen paint - after a watery start it doesn't look too bad at all and I don't need to buy a new tin. Even more MS, a painted kitchen doesn't need replacing quite as urgently.
    Confession time:
    Had to throw out some odds & ends of food: eggs, a pepper, bits of celery, can't remember what else.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 6th Jan 18, 11:56 PM
    • 1,757 Posts
    • 9,631 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Nowt spent yesterday (5th). This wasn't me being virtuous: I just ran out of time to go to the shops. I made up for it today and bought yet more shampoo (missing the deep conditioner I used to use) and a few foodstuffs to replenish my locker at work. I gave DH £10 of my share of this week's food money (meaning I have 4p unspent) because he was buying us fish & chips and a roast for tomorrow. I've also set aside £2 for a some little knitted ornaments my colleague makes: not sure how many she has left so it may not be a £2 spend.

Spends:
    Gifts £31.98
    Toiletries £5.40
    Housekeeping £11.25
    MS stuff:
    Used loyalty points for £2 off toiletries and got a multibuy discount.
    Gifts bought in sales ready for next Christmas.
    Last edited by Cherryfudge; 07-01-2018 at 12:01 AM.
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 7th Jan 18, 12:09 AM
    • 767 Posts
    • 5,607 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Well done on the reduced gifts, Most i've managed is some reduced wrapping paper.I know if i did make it into town i'd probably buy other things too.
    I have got a couple of sets left over from christmas though, that can be used for birthdays through the year.
    LBM in April 17 - £7593/£33554 (22.6%) paid.
    2018 PAID OFF TARGET £1969/£5000 (39.8% paid)
    Mortgage@1 June 18 = £0/£76350 Total debt=£102311
    SPC #591
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 7th Jan 18, 12:32 AM
    • 1,622 Posts
    • 14,156 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Sounding organised

Hope you had a good day x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 7th Jan 18, 1:00 AM
    • 1,757 Posts
    • 9,631 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I like to buy Christmas (and sometimes birthday) gifts as I go along - having three children taught me that! I don't get everything early be any means but I knew there were a few bits from this company for particular people. Those emails and targeted advertising have their uses.

It was a pretty good day thanks. The sore back is now considerably better, work was quite relaxed, I managed to set up banking for some utilities bills for Mum's old house (now in my name - the bills not the house). Best get to bed now as it's later than I'd thought!
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 7th Jan 18, 1:06 AM
    • 1,622 Posts
    • 14,156 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    It IS late think I should go too x
    “Once you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.”
    • VelvetFreak
    • By VelvetFreak 7th Jan 18, 2:53 AM
    • 192 Posts
    • 732 Thanks
    VelvetFreak
    Yay for painted kitchen. It's definitely MS, because you're less likely want to to rip apart something that you've just painted

Emergency Fund $5,100 / $10,000
    Renovation Fund $100 / $1,500
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 7th Jan 18, 5:33 AM
    • 883 Posts
    • 3,577 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Raspberry custard tart is a favourite here, uses up fresh or frozen raspberries ( thinking about your March voucher).

Well done on the painting. I still have cans of paint that I've bought still waiting for me to get the roller out.
    paydbx #93 £692/£8,000.
    Loan £17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans £3342 March 2017. £3123 in Jan 18
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 7th Jan 18, 2:53 PM
    • 1,757 Posts
    • 9,631 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I love raspberries too... just thought neither they nor strawberries will be at their best in winter. I had vaguely thought of a pavlova with frozen (defrosted) fruit and fresh raspberries to top but a tart sounds more warming. Oh, with custard of course... definitely in winter food mode here!

Velvet, eek! I'd never thought of that! I will be proud of it once the shelves at in place and might not want to move on!

Wannabe, I am still not quite sure where our 'late' and Honeysuckle's 'early' begin and end.
    • parsniphead
    • By parsniphead 7th Jan 18, 5:03 PM
    • 2,505 Posts
    • 15,979 Thanks
    parsniphead
    Glad to hear your backs feeling better cherry.

That pavlova sounds lovely. I'm not much for pudding but....

The plants are all over the place up here. Things budding when they shouldn't.
    My mini challenge: pay off MBNA by 31/08/18. £233.10/£502 46.43%
    Total outstanding consumer debt - £333.10/ £7864.52 4.23%
    Without ambition one starts nothing. Without work one finishes nothing. The prize will not be sent to you. You have to win it.” -Ralph Waldo Emerson
    • NoOneAround
    • By NoOneAround 7th Jan 18, 8:43 PM
    • 1,756 Posts
    • 8,560 Thanks
    NoOneAround
    Happy New Year Cherry, Hope its a good one!
    You are so good at keeping track of everything on here despite your busy-ness. I find i can either catch up or keep up my own diary
    NOA
    x
    Feb2014 Total unsecured debt £72,520>>01/06/16 £68166>01/02/17 £66,600=8.18%PAID
    Mortgage Jan14=209,800 Jan15=£200,300 Jan17£180,700>OCT17 £170,200
    Health/Fitness Challenges Priority#1 Stay Fit and healthy - whatever it takes
    Wombling Free Cash May2016 £51
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 9th Jan 18, 12:18 PM
    • 1,757 Posts
    • 9,631 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    A quick catch-up post:

7/1/18
    Spends:

Donation £2.00 (this is the above-mentioned knitted Christmas decs - the money goes to charity and I really couldn't decide what other category they go in even though I benefit).
    8/1/18
    Spends:

Entertainment (lunch with friends) £9.44

I had another look at the remainder of our mortgage and think I had the approach wrong.
    If I fix the rate on the largest of the three parts I can overpay the smaller parts and get them completely out of the way in a year by snowballing. I worked out I can get the smallest out of the way by June, easily. However, that would tie me in to the largest for at least two years, by which time I may already have the money through from Mum's estate enabling me to pay the rest off.

It's just occured to me that I could significantly cut the interest payable in the meantime by throwing as much as possible at the largest part before fixing the rate. If I used my credit card, which is on 0%, I could pay off a quarter of the largest part and should be able to repay the CC by the end of the 0% period, or if that weren't possible (would take focus), I don't think I'd have any difficulty getting a balance transfer. I don't want to take risks with borrowing though as I don't really know what I'm doing.

Another financial thing to get out of the way is to check which of my train fares I have still to reclaim from the estate - I think I paid them all from the other account so they wouldn't go to the mortgage-paying account but they could go into holiday funds.

I hate wading through old accounts - its so tedious! Can you tell I'm still putting it off?
    • charlies tribe
    • By charlies tribe 9th Jan 18, 2:00 PM
    • 767 Posts
    • 5,607 Thanks
    charlies tribe
    Good luck sorting the right way round to pay it off. We're quite lucky that our 'extra' parts are all on the same rate, if/when we get round to overpaying i think i would have to go for my smallest part first, watching £600 come down at £3 a month seems like it isn't moving at all.
    LBM in April 17 - £7593/£33554 (22.6%) paid.
    2018 PAID OFF TARGET £1969/£5000 (39.8% paid)
    Mortgage@1 June 18 = £0/£76350 Total debt=£102311
    SPC #591
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 9th Jan 18, 7:57 PM
    • 4,426 Posts
    • 30,701 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    It all sounds very confusing to me, I'm not very clever with financial products . Why is your mortgage in three parts?
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 10th Jan 18, 8:42 PM
    • 1,757 Posts
    • 9,631 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I've been trying to remember that, Hairy! One part is the house, another was to add new boiler/heating system... the third was 1998 and I can't remember what happened all those years ago! I shouldn't be let loose without an accompanying adult, really.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 10th Jan 18, 8:59 PM
    • 1,757 Posts
    • 9,631 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    A bit of a hurried post as I'm back at work in 45 minutes.

9/1/18
    Spends:

Download £2.16
    Housekeeping £17.76
    Medical £4.00
    Household £6.75
    Piano lesson £10.00

So not a cheap day. Quite a lot of the housekeeping was fruit which was extravagant but I wanted to take fruit kebabs as my share of 'nibbles' at a friend's house: I knew we'd all be post-Christmassy when it came to food! We had a lovely time together and ate far too much (post Christmas notwithstanding) and the rest of the fruit is doing us good at home. DS got half a mango and some blueberries, I've had blueberries and apple in my porridge, banana for break... very healthy but it's so expensive! It's true food prices are rising quite noticably.

10/1/18
    Spends:

Book £4.29
    Housekeeping £1
    Entertainment £1.40 (coffee shop).
    • HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 10th Jan 18, 9:26 PM
    • 4,426 Posts
    • 30,701 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    Yes food is going up noticeably, I was thinking today how much cheaper it would be if we all ate rabbit food .
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 10th Jan 18, 9:28 PM
    • 1,622 Posts
    • 14,156 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    Hope work goes well

Mortgage thing is well above my head x
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 11th Jan 18, 9:34 PM
    • 1,757 Posts
    • 9,631 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Yes food is going up noticeably, I was thinking today how much cheaper it would be if we all ate rabbit food .
    Originally posted by HairyHandofDartmoor
    There is room for another in the guinea pig's run but it's a bit cold and damp.

Wannabe: it's taking some getting my head around it!

So sleepy tonight though the shift was okay. I managed to do lots of baking, which I always enjoy. Chocolate cake for lunch so not a healthy day. On the other hand it was still definitely day at 4pm.

Nothing spent today .
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

625Posts Today

5,875Users online

Martin's Twitter