Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 25th Feb 17, 8:39 AM
    • 281Posts
    • 458Thanks
    coastalchick
    2017 - moving life forwards
    • 25th Feb 17, 8:39 AM
    2017 - moving life forwards 25th Feb 17 at 8:39 AM
    Hi

New diary for a (hopefully!) new period in life. About me: 38, co-habiting (partner shall henceforth be referred to as "BD"), 1 cat.

Currently living with BD in my house (or flouse as my friend calls it as it is not really a flat but not really a house!). It's under offer and we are hoping to sell this and buy our new house mid aprill. BD's flat has been on market for a while but little interest due to colossal service charges so that is rented out until Feb 2018. But our house purchase has hit a few problems, mainly due to boundary issues (which are solvable but which may be impacting on timetable!) and we are not certain it is all going to go through in time.

Once in the new house, we are going to actively start trying for a family. If it happens before then, it happens but we are not actively trying right now due to house stress.

Why am I here? Well, I used to have NO clue about money (I really think they should teach you what the heck an interest rate is at school and what credit cards and store cards actually mean and charge!) and was in a LOT of debt through university and my early to mid-20's. I had no clue what an interest rate was and instead just saw credit and store cards as "free" money. Often missed payments, not cos I couldn't pay (though this did become more of the case towards the end of the bad spell!) but just cos I wasn't organised and didn't realise what impact they had! Makes me sick to the stomach when I think of all the money I wasted over the years.

I bought a maisonette in tooting in Nov 2003 (got a 100% mortgage - you could in those days!), then in April 2004, lost my job. Luckily I had income protection but of course, they don't tell you that doesn't kick in for a certain period. Also, I seem to recall that back then I also couldn't claim benefits for a period. Sadly, a few weeks before I lost my job I signed on the dotted line for a new kitchen (got royal ripped off there too) which cost me 10k (it probably should have cost 2-3 but I was so naive in those days) so had to max out the credit cards to pay for it.

My parents offered to help but I felt I had got myself into that mess (basically it was partially my fault I got the boot as I wasn't really taking my job seriously) so declined as wanted to get self out of it. So moved, got a new job, towed the line, consolidated debt. Rented out the tooting flat and eventually bought the place I live in now. BD moved in mid June 2015 so mortgage and bills split.

Fast forward to now and I am pretty comfortable. Luckily I had a job where I earned big bucks which enabled me to pay off all my debt, and save loads and buy the place we live in now. However, that came at a price and I was so overworked and stressed (and underpaid actually compared to others in the market and for the hours I worked) that my hair started falling out and I suffered from anxiety, panic attacks, IBS, acid reflux and regularly wanted to have a non-fatal accident so I could be admitted to hospital and not have to go to work). Eventually I couldn't take any more so quit at start of last year, and took some time off to recharge the batteries.

Mid last year I started a new job in a much less stressful role and for only 4 days a week. Took a pay cut because of the 4 day week but worked out if I scaled the package up to 5 days, I was actually earning the same as I had been in the stressful job (which shows that decision to leave was def right!)

Now we are about to embark (hopefully) on the next chapter in life, but feel I need to be here to try to keep myself on straight and narrow spend-wise, particularly as I now physically have less cash coming in each month and our mortgage is going to double with new house (and bills will be more too). I also need to save for maternity leave.

I constantly worry about money (which BD doesn't understand) and the future and whether we will have enough in retirement. It's silly because on paper we are comfortable, but I think it's because I've been in serious debt before that I am constantly doing sums in my head. The tooting flat was bought for 160k (plus 48k for extension of leasehold recently) and is now worth around 450k. It has around 100k left on the mortgage and is rented out. I will own it outright by age 50, after which the rental will provide pure income. Have only just started a pension as my old job didn't have one (surprise surprise) which 630 per month goes into. BD's flat has around 75k of equity in it and he has a work pension too. We have a lot in savings at the moment but that will be left at minimal when we buy the new house as we are putting down 20% deposit plus fees, stamp duty etc. Other than our 3 mortgages on the 3 properties, we have no debt.

So, probably most people will think I have nothing to moan about but I still worry because I know how easy it is to get into debt as I have been there previously. I also worry because children are expensive and we might have to pay for private school if the school they are allocated isn't very good. BD is a semi professional photographer and used to do weddings which he can charge up to 3k for, but he quit doing them as he found them quite stressful, but I guess could do a couple if we needed school fees (but wouldn't want him to if he found it stressful).

So, apologies for the brain dump but I'm here to try to rein in the spending!

Today is food shop and I have a list - we have budgeted 150 (which I know is a lot) as BD wants me to bake a cake today so quite a lot needed for that, plus this week we need coffee, loo roll, dishwasher tablets etc etc. Once we've done that, think we will have lunch at home (it's rubbish weather out there today) from what we've bought, then maybe reading this afternoon and bake the cake. BD is out at his friends tonight so I will be cooking a nice chicken dish from stores and watching a pre-recorded movie with the cat.

Tomorrow BD will probably work in the morning, then we are at his mum's for lunch (so free lunch) and will cook a roast from the weekly shop tomorrow evening
    Last edited by coastalchick; 25-02-2017 at 9:37 AM.
Page 11
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 5th Nov 17, 2:12 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 458 Thanks
    coastalchick
    ah b*gger and we just went out for lunch! 35/2 - and it wasn't even good!!!!!
    • Munchin
    • By Munchin 6th Nov 17, 7:04 AM
    • 2,272 Posts
    • 6,981 Thanks
    Munchin
    Hi Coastal- So disappointing on lunch out. OH & I went for dinner last night and mine was amazing & his was poor. When you are parting with your hard earned pennies it has to be good.
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 6th Nov 17, 12:19 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 1,038 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Hope the fireworks were fun! I didn't see any this year.. We thought we'd go to some on Saturday night and it turned out our big city firework display was on Friday night at 7pm... We had just assumed they'd be on Saturday night!

Sounds like a good deal on fish, I never ate fish even as a meat-eater but my parents love it.. I have to say it always looks so delicious so I'm always jealous of those who love it.
    Loan: 3,600 2,179.70
    Credit Card: 1,758.95 1,433.95
    Goal Debt-Free Date: February 2019
    Rainy-Day 6,000: 760
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 8th Nov 17, 6:57 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 458 Thanks
    coastalchick
    bonfire was a disaster. B's mum had invited about 40 little ones (really little ones), B was stuck doing the fireworks, the people I would normally hang with there weren't speaking to me, there were so many people there and I felt very alone. Had a massive meltdown in car on way back.

Went to docs on monday - decided it's time I got some professional help with my grief post-miscarriage. Hopefully will be seeing psychotherapist soon.

Not spent a huge amount this week - money on a stamp today to post my dad's birthday card but that is from shrapnel. A bit on chocolate again from shrapnel. B is out tonight for band and curry so I am going to make eggs on toast and watch the sinner on netflix.

Has been a very busy work at week and yesterday was quite stressful as was pulled in on a case as it was all hands to pump. It was fine, and I did get to go home on time, but reminded me why I don't do that sort of work anymore! Perhaps made me more appreciative of the job I do have and today was quite productive.

All in all, life is pretty dull at the moment!
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 9th Nov 17, 8:04 AM
    • 281 Posts
    • 458 Thanks
    coastalchick
    oh and forgot - did spend a bit more as B got petrol (so 20/2) and a book on dealing with miscarriage (10.99/2). Doing ok though money-wise this month and have quite a bit left over from this month's spending budget. Means when get paid on 20th am hoping to be able to divide it up between long term savings account, holiday account and house account.
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 9th Nov 17, 7:40 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 458 Thanks
    coastalchick
    7.84/2 in WR tonight - 2 packs coke (16 cans) for 6, some vinegar (posh-ish one) and beef monster munch (6 pack on offer) so not too bad
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 10th Nov 17, 10:11 PM
    • 910 Posts
    • 1,038 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Sorry to hear the bonfire was a bit of a disaster, very pleased to read you're being proactive regarding the miscarriage. It is absolutely devastating and you've been really tough throughout. I hope work lets up on you a little xxx
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 11th Nov 17, 8:22 AM
    • 281 Posts
    • 458 Thanks
    coastalchick
    Thanks Sauce. Think it would be helped if my friends didn't keep sending me invites to baby showers etc even though I've asked them to stop including me on them! But that's another story!!!

Yesterday was 1.65 on a sandwich as was working and we didn't have any sandwich stuff left at home. I had wanted to get a take out last night, but for some reason, B being very sensible and said we had pizza (and chips!) in the freezer. So we had that, and some carrot cake which is going out of date on Monday, and just stayed in.

Today I have 2 people picking up books. Decided had far too many so sold 2 bundles of 10 for 5 each. Know that is quite cheap really but needed a clear out. Got rid of 10 thrillers (as know ending so won't read those again!) and 10 chick lit which I won't read again either. In an ideal world I'd love a library so never had to get rid of books, but we are just not in that position. Think will put tenner in long term savings.

Got contacted by the shoddy solicitors who did my lease extension in feb yesterday. There is a balance on my account of 71 (not quite sure why) and they're sending me a cheque! So I've offered to take B out for dinner. We are going to see a comedian next sat night (tickets already paid for) so suggested we go for an early bird beforehand. Shouldn't be more than 40-45 with drinks and really good food (think amazing french and 3 courses). Can then put anything left over into long term savings. I don't treat B often enough so it's nice to be able to.

Have to do "big shop" today. Budgeted 75 (total budget 150 but divided by 2) which I know is a lot but this is our major expense. I don't think it will be anything near that though. However, we do need toilet roll, kitchen roll, bin liners etc which obv all add up!

Tonight out with the women in B's family for dinner. Shouldn't be much more than 30 so will come from spending budget. B giving us all a lift there and back
    Last edited by coastalchick; 11-11-2017 at 8:40 AM.
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 12th Nov 17, 10:15 AM
    • 281 Posts
    • 458 Thanks
    coastalchick
    second person didn't pick up books even though I stayed in - think that is SO rude. Anyway, first person did so I have a fiver to shove in LT savings. Last night's dinner was 32 even though I only had one drink, somehow ended up paying more, but only 2 more than had budgeted.

B did shop which was 44.85/2. He didn't get bread or a leek and a couple of other things so we have to get those today. So shop might hit 50/2 but that is a lot less than budgeted so happy with that.

Pay day is mon 20th so just need to try to be frugal until then. We have one more big shop between now and then (next sat or sun) and no nights out this week, though comedian sat but tickets paid for already and meal will be paid for by cheque from horrid sols.
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 14th Nov 17, 8:00 AM
    • 281 Posts
    • 458 Thanks
    coastalchick
    another 10.83/2 in WR on sunday!!!! Needed 2 x loaves bread, leek and cleaning sponges. Then got cake for friend coming round, some indonesian crackers and assorted toffees (clearly not needed but yum!!!).

Stayed in yesterday as was off work having worked friday instead. Friend came round and brought sweets and lovely flowers. Made body coach chicken pie for tea so nothing spent. Going to walk to work today taking lunch and snacks from stores. Will pay in the cheque and the 5 for books plus a little bit of shrapnel.

Tonight is dinner from stores - fish, chips and veg. B will be making it as I made last nights. Desperately trying not to spend more than 100 this week so that I can reach the left over figure I want to divide between LT savings, holiday account and house account. Have a big shop on weekend and dinner out but the dinner out isn't included in that as will be paid from that cheque.

Under no illusions I will probably spend more than my spend budget from next month's pay (20 nov - 19 dec) because of christmas plus 2 trips away. Though hoping that most of the 2 trip away costs will be paid from holiday account. Only got to buy presents for B, my parents, his mum and his niece and nephew but that all still obviously adds up.
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 16th Nov 17, 6:58 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 458 Thanks
    coastalchick
    gah! So have loads left from this month's spending and our big shop tomorrow shouldn't be too much. But my managing agent for my property in tooting contacted me today and washing machine is broken and a few other things need fixing too! Ordered new washing machine today (205 incl installation and taking old one away) and so now feel I need to put everything I have left from this month's budget into an account to cover that!!! MOST annoying.
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 17th Nov 17, 3:20 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 458 Thanks
    coastalchick
    67 on "big shop" and still need to get a joint of meat for sunday. Plus that wasn't even on proper food as we have our food for next week in freezer. Went on cereal, crisps, washing powder, bread, milk, chocolate, ice lollies, big of veg, beans, stock, potatoes, a roast chicken for next week's sardines, a meal for tonight, a cake. I just can't believe how expensive food shopping is!

Good thing, notwithstanding, I should be able to stick 100 in my savings even with the stuff for my flat to pay for. Should've been a lot more but, as my mum said, at least I have the money to pay for it.

I do have really irrational fears about money. I always worry we won't have enough to survive when we stop working, though I do want to retire early. I know it comes from having been in such bad debt in my early 20's.
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 23rd Nov 17, 5:48 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 458 Thanks
    coastalchick
    not even any point posting this month. Is going to be a spend spend spend and no saving month I think. Buildings insurance due on tooting flat, will be around 300. Plus lots of meals out and presents to buy. We are also away twice so that's about 70 for cat being fed and ears done before we even get there!
    • sauceoclock
    • By sauceoclock 2nd Jan 18, 11:39 AM
    • 910 Posts
    • 1,038 Thanks
    sauceoclock
    Happy New Year! Hope you're starting 2018 on a high note. xx
    • coastalchick
    • By coastalchick 8th Jan 18, 6:44 PM
    • 281 Posts
    • 458 Thanks
    coastalchick
    Thanks hun - HNY to you too - I started a new diary as decided wanted to leave 2017 behind! x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

9Posts Today

3,353Users online

Martin's Twitter