Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RealGem
    • By RealGem 24th Feb 17, 11:50 AM
    • 264Posts
    • 114Thanks
    RealGem
    Charging 2005 Corsa Battery
    • 24th Feb 17, 11:50 AM
    Charging 2005 Corsa Battery 24th Feb 17 at 11:50 AM
    Hi ,

I have a 2005 Vauxhall Corsa with a dead battery. bought a Phaze 4 in 1 battery booster from Halfords, and the instructions say to attach the Red connector to the Positive and for the Black connector to NOT be connected to the Negative on the battery, but on a plain bit of metal on the car.

But in one of the reviews for the device someone wrote:

"Have used on a 1.6 car and a 2.0 car and both started easily.
    Both cars were 2005 and therefore the negative lead was able to be attached to the battery."

So can I connect the black part to my battery (negative side)?

Is there an advantage to having the Black lead connected to the Negative part of the battery, as opposed to a plain bit of metal on the car?

Thank you
    People only get upset
    when their expectations are not met.
Page 3
    • RealGem
    • By RealGem 1st Mar 17, 12:57 PM
    • 264 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    RealGem
    If your battery is capput, then no amount of charging or adding a booster will start the car. The booster is designed to assist the battery which at this point usually still have power to at least do something. A booster on its own will not have enough CCA output to start a car from a completely dead battery.
    Originally posted by marty2be2000
    Thank you. Other people told me this, so I have already bought a new battery, as I said above.

And it works! - Woohoo!

thanks everyone
    Last edited by RealGem; 01-03-2017 at 2:47 PM.
    People only get upset
    when their expectations are not met.
    • Strider590
    • By Strider590 1st Mar 17, 2:49 PM
    • 11,622 Posts
    • 6,534 Thanks
    Strider590
    Thank you. Other people told me this, so I have already bought a new battery, as I said above.

And it works! - Woohoo!

thanks everyone
    Originally posted by RealGem

A good result, but you mentioned buying voltage tester earlier, I would use this and just make sure the alternator is actually charging the battery (as in my previous post), a simple 2 minute job could save you having to buy yet another battery.
    I may not agree with you, but I will defend to the death your right to make an a** of yourself.

<><><><><><><><><<><><><><><><><><><><><><> Don't forget to like and subscribe \/ \/ \/
    • Bootjangler
    • By Bootjangler 9th Apr 18, 6:24 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Bootjangler
    Phaze 4-in-1
    Hello.

Did you get any good use out the Phaze 4-in-1 jump starter?

I have a battery draining problem and I suppose the AA have a similar thing to these units which always starts it up. I could do with simply doing that myself.

Did you have to connect the negative to the engine block, rather than the negative terminal on the battery itself?

Thanks
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,354Posts Today

7,912Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • After the news I'm suing facebook over scam ads, people keep sending me ads with my pic in asking, ?is THIS ad with? https://t.co/lhTmijgnWt

• So Facebook just waxed lyrical about all the things they're doing to stop fake ads. Whoop de whoop. Yet THESE SCA? https://t.co/hP4q6kRuuQ

• Facebook giving evidence I believe just said "mr lewis said there are 50 ads, but we checked and found 1,000s".? https://t.co/4dAe8PCTCb

• Follow Martin