IMPORTANT: Please make sure your posts do not contain any personally identifiable information (both your own and that of others). When uploading images, please take care that you have redacted all personal information including QR codes, number plates and reference numbers.

VCS Parking - CCCF Letter Received - Defence helped needed

Comments

• Coupon-mad
    Coupon-mad Posts: 131,424 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    The Newbie thread is a great source of information, but it's not the easiest to decipher through and pick out exactly which bits are relevant for my case. In particular, I don't see a Witness Statement guide anywhere other than a brief paragraph in a post from bargepole explaining the first few necessary sentences. I have looked at other people's post, and whilst I did find some Witness Statements i can use as a starter, they are often copied directly into the forum post so lose all necessary formatting.

I don't think the WS by:

Matthew87
    infernouk
    Loadsofchildren123
    or
    Lamilad

are copied into a thread, losing formatting? All were/are in Dropbox links showing the format.

Pretty sure some examples linked in the NEWBIES thread - a bit further down than bargepole's guide - are also hosted in Dropbox.
    PRIVATE 'PCN'? DON'T PAY BUT DON'T IGNORE IT (except N.Ireland).
    CLICK at the top of this/any page where it says:
    Forum Home»Motoring»Parking Tickets Fines & Parking - read the NEWBIES THREAD
  • Use headings just like the format of the defence example, then numbered paragraphs. Each page should be numbered. Critically, you must finish so the statement of truth.

The basic template is here:

https://www.justice.gov.uk/courts/procedure-rules/civil/standard-directions/general/witness-statements
  • saarchy
    saarchy Posts: 56 Forumite
    Thanks for the help guys. Need to have this submitted by the 2nd, but no sign of any documentation from VCS. I'm guessing I must get this tomorrow/Tuesday at the latest. If it is Tuesday, I'll likely have to send off my Witness Statement before I see theirs, which will be annoying.

Either way, I've drafted my Witness Statement below for feedback please. This is just the particulars of my case with details/exhibits where necessary. I've not included the actual exhibits at this stage, but will chuck the whole Witness Statement in Dropbox before I send so you can double check it's good enough.

Just a point - Do exhibits/pictures need to be copied directly into Witness Statement pack? I'll be sending via e-mail & post, and not sure whether to include the exhibits on the e-mail as well... Probably a silly question....

Anyway, feedback would be great. There's no case law reference at all at this stage as I'm just trying to nail down the bits that are strictly relevant to my case. In addition, I don't intend to rely heavily on case law to win this one as I don't feel it's necessary. I'm going with the attitude of your everday citizen (ie - not a parking guru) and trust that the judge won't expect me to be super well versed in case law... Does that sound like a terrible idea?

In the County Court Business Centre
    Claim Number: XXXXXXXXX
    BETWEEN:
    Vehicle Control Services Ltd (Claimant)
    vs
    XXXXXX(Defendant)

2) This matter relates to Parking Charge Notices (PCN) issued between October 2015 and September 2016 in the Globeside Business Park. The defendant maintains that, at no point, was the vehicle in question parked on private land, and therefore was never applicable for parking enforcement by Vehicle Control Services. This can be seen on Exhibit 1, a excel document produced by Buckingham County Council which lists both Fieldhouse Way and Fieldhouse Lane as public roads, with the relevant Eastings & Northings showing the road is public across the entirety of the Business Park.

3) Throughout the duration of this claim, the Defendant was employed at Softcat plc as an Account Manager, specifically working from the Lunar House office which directly borders Fieldhouse Way. It is maintained that Softcat employees were encouraged to park on this road, which can be seen in Exhibit 2, an e-mail from Softcat’s Facilities Manager outlining the roads around the office that are suitable for parking. It’s worth noting that this e-mail was issued on 27th June 2017, almost 2 years since these PCN in question were issued. The defendant maintains that, to this day, there is still uncertainty as to Vehicle Control Services eligibility to operate on this land, which is currently being investigated by Softcat plc, Highways Agency & The Globeside Business Park Team.

4) In addition, Vehicle Control Services are in direct breach of their own terms and conditions for operating parking enforcement in Globeside Business Park. This is due to the insufficient lack of signage in the area and a total lack of parking signs at either of the 2 main entrances to the Business Park. This can be seen in Exhibit 3,4,5 and 6, as well as Exhibit 7 which is taken from Google Maps and shows the eastern entrance to the Business Park and shows a total lack of signage or information. The signs which have been erected by VCS are either partially or totally concealed behind hedgerow (Exhibit 4) or have been knocked down and not replaced (Exhibit 5). The only signs which are noticeable when entering the Business Park via the east entrance are ‘Lunar House Parking Only’ signs alongside the road (Exhibit 6), and clearly indicate that parking is allowed for any employees of Lunar House, which the Defendant very much was.

5) The Defendant has made all reasonable efforts to understand parking restrictions in the area. On or about the 2nd September and 26th September 2014, the Claimant issued the Defendant's vehicle with parking charge notices, when it was parked in the same area. The Defendant complained to the Claimant that there had been no contract with the driver, the driver had not been parked in an area marked by sufficient signage and that the signage was confusing and misleading. The Claimant agreed to cancel both notices. The Defendant relies on this as an admission by the Claimant that its signage was insufficient and misleading/confusing, and therefore no contract can have been created between it and the driver. This can be seen in Exhibit 7 & 8. The brevity of the response should be highlighted given no attempt whatsoever was made to answer the questions raised in the appeal. It is also worth noting that, between September 2014 and September 2016, no changes to signage or more information was provided by VCS to nullify the points raised in my appeal. As noted in the Defence Statement, the tickets issued to the Defendant after these aforementioned appeals can therefore be deemed erroneous. It is understandable that PCN’s were issued incorrectly by parking wardens due to the lack of clarity provided by VCS as to where exactly they operate parking enforcement in the area.

6) The signage erected by VCS is not sufficient for the area in question. In particular, Exhibit 4 shows a parking sign concealed behind a Hedgerow with all relevant information regarding parking restrictions and costs hidden behind foliage. As shown in the pictures of the area, there are no parking signs visible whatsoever when entering the Business Park from the East.

I'm pretty sure this sums up the majority of the points I want to raise on the day. I'm guessing I need to flesh this out a bit with relevant case laws/examples to set the bar etc. Is there any in particular that you feel would add weight to my case?

I've not finished it yet, hence no final part about believing these facts to be true etc..
  • saarchy
    saarchy wrote: »
    Thanks for the help guys. Need to have this submitted by the 2nd, but no sign of any documentation from VCS. I'm guessing I must get this tomorrow/Tuesday at the latest. If it is Tuesday, I'll likely have to send off my Witness Statement before I see theirs, which will be annoying.

Either way, I've drafted my Witness Statement below for feedback please. This is just the particulars of my case with details/exhibits where necessary. I've not included the actual exhibits at this stage, but will chuck the whole Witness Statement in Dropbox before I send so you can double check it's good enough.

Just a point - Do exhibits/pictures need to be copied directly into Witness Statement pack? I'll be sending via e-mail & post, and not sure whether to include the exhibits on the e-mail as well... Probably a silly question....

Anyway, feedback would be great. There's no case law reference at all at this stage as I'm just trying to nail down the bits that are strictly relevant to my case. In addition, I don't intend to rely heavily on case law to win this one as I don't feel it's necessary. I'm going with the attitude of your everday citizen (ie - not a parking guru) and trust that the judge won't expect me to be super well versed in case law... Does that sound like a terrible idea?

In the County Court Business Centre
    Claim Number: XXXXXXXXX
    BETWEEN:
    Vehicle Control Services Ltd (Claimant)
    vs
    XXXXXX(Defendant)

2) This matter relates to Parking Charge Notices (PCN) issued between October 2015 and September 2016 in the Globeside Business Park. The defendant maintains that, at no point, was the vehicle in question parked on private land, and therefore was never applicable for parking enforcement by Vehicle Control Services. This can be seen on Exhibit 1, a excel document produced by Buckingham County Council which lists both Fieldhouse Way and Fieldhouse Lane as public roads, with the relevant Eastings & Northings showing the road is public across the entirety of the Business Park.

3) Throughout the duration of this claim, the Defendant was employed at Softcat plc as an Account Manager, specifically working from the Lunar House office which directly borders Fieldhouse Way. It is maintained that Softcat employees were encouraged to park on this road, which can be seen in Exhibit 2, an e-mail from Softcat’s Facilities Manager outlining the roads around the office that are suitable for parking. It’s worth noting that this e-mail was issued on 27th June 2017, almost 2 years since these PCN in question were issued. The defendant maintains that, to this day, there is still uncertainty as to Vehicle Control Services eligibility to operate on this land, which is currently being investigated by Softcat plc, Highways Agency & The Globeside Business Park Team.

4) In addition, Vehicle Control Services are in direct breach of their own terms and conditions for operating parking enforcement in Globeside Business Park. This is due to the insufficient lack of signage in the area and a total lack of parking signs at either of the 2 main entrances to the Business Park. This can be seen in Exhibit 3,4,5 and 6, as well as Exhibit 7 which is taken from Google Maps and shows the eastern entrance to the Business Park and shows a total lack of signage or information. The signs which have been erected by VCS are either partially or totally concealed behind hedgerow (Exhibit 4) or have been knocked down and not replaced (Exhibit 5). The only signs which are noticeable when entering the Business Park via the east entrance are ‘Lunar House Parking Only’ signs alongside the road (Exhibit 6), and clearly indicate that parking is allowed for any employees of Lunar House, which the Defendant very much was.

5) The Defendant has made all reasonable efforts to understand parking restrictions in the area. On or about the 2nd September and 26th September 2014, the Claimant issued the Defendant's vehicle with parking charge notices, when it was parked in the same area. The Defendant complained to the Claimant that there had been no contract with the driver, the driver had not been parked in an area marked by sufficient signage and that the signage was confusing and misleading. The Claimant agreed to cancel both notices. The Defendant relies on this as an admission by the Claimant that its signage was insufficient and misleading/confusing, and therefore no contract can have been created between it and the driver. This can be seen in Exhibit 7 & 8. The brevity of the response should be highlighted given no attempt whatsoever was made to answer the questions raised in the appeal. It is also worth noting that, between September 2014 and September 2016, no changes to signage or more information was provided by VCS to nullify the points raised in my appeal. As noted in the Defence Statement, the tickets issued to the Defendant after these aforementioned appeals can therefore be deemed erroneous. It is understandable that PCN’s were issued incorrectly by parking wardens due to the lack of clarity provided by VCS as to where exactly they operate parking enforcement in the area.

6) The signage erected by VCS is not sufficient for the area in question. In particular, Exhibit 4 shows a parking sign concealed behind a Hedgerow with all relevant information regarding parking restrictions and costs hidden behind foliage. As shown in the pictures of the area, there are no parking signs visible whatsoever when entering the Business Park from the East.

I'm pretty sure this sums up the majority of the points I want to raise on the day. I'm guessing I need to flesh this out a bit with relevant case laws/examples to set the bar etc. Is there any in particular that you feel would add weight to my case?

I've not finished it yet, hence no final part about believing these facts to be true etc..

Hey all, any feedback on this one so far please?
  • saarchy
    Coupon-mad wrote: »
    I don't think the WS by:

Matthew87
    infernouk
    Loadsofchildren123
    or
    Lamilad

are copied into a thread, losing formatting? All were/are in Dropbox links showing the format.

Pretty sure some examples linked in the NEWBIES thread - a bit further down than bargepole's guide - are also hosted in Dropbox.

I've had a read through those threads, thanks for suggesting. Just a heads up, a lot of the dropbox links are not working anymore, especially for the Witness Statements which is frustrating! I found a lot that people had copied into the forum, but not many dropbox links to WS written by members. Quite a few of the threads just mention sending in a WS, or have 3/4 revisions in the topic, but very few (actually I could find none) had a dropbox with a full WS, correctly laid out with exhibits etc.

So I've redrafted mine and included a schedule of costs separately, fleshed it out a lot and added a bunch more points I want to raise on the day. The dropbox link is here, would really appreciate any feedback/guidance as it's due to be submitted tomorrow.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/whzfbndsogdqkv1/Witness%20Statement%20-%20D0QZ924M%20-%20MSE%20Version.doc?dl=0

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3gwnwhtae640aie/Schedule%20of%20Costs%20-%20D0QZ924M%20-%20MSE%20Version.docx?dl=0

Frustratingly, I've still not received any documentation from VCS, so I'm hoping to recieve this tomorrow before I send mine off. Given it's due on the 2nd August, they're cutting it might fine!

Couple of (hopefully easy questions).

1) Is it advisable to e-mail and send in via letter? If so, when you're sending the WS e-mail, do you manually copy the exhibits into the document or is it sufficient to just send them in the letter version? A lot of my evidence is images from Google Maps/iPhone pictures, so including in the e-mail WS would be easy, but I'm not sure if this is an absolute no no.

2) I've pretty much focused my WS on facts as suggested in the newbie thread and on here - http://www.bmpa.eu/court_wizard/NOA_Witness_Statement.html. I know I've not mentioned any specific case law, largely because I'm really not sure what's relevant to my case and don't want to get laughed out of court for pretending to know parking law in depth. Do you think this is a good idea? I was hoping to include some case law in my skeleton argument, but I really think I'm best off focused on the cold hard facts of this claim, rather than trying to argue theoretical case law.

Any revisions, changes, challenges would be greatly appreciated. Getting a bit nervous now...
  • saarchy
    Sorry to bump this again, but please can I get some help on this one? Off to bed now, but need to get this WS mailed off later today and would love some feedback before I do.
  • Ok, I confess i havent read all the detail in the WS on my mobile, but you seem on top if the facts from the thread.

Your case will be won on legal argument, not s moral imperative. I agree if the Bucks CC / land registry data shows it to be public highway that should be sufficient. It would do no harm to have available details of relevant case law for your skeleton argument in due course to develop points regarding signage if needed.

If you really intend to append a number of documents, the correct way to attach exhibits/documents is to refer to each in the statement, then writing "I refer to exhibit ABCX exhibited in the text (where ABC are your initials and X is the first, second, third exhibit etc).

Documents can be bunched in exhibits e.g. all letters or emails, but then the exhibit must have page numbering. Your photos and the land registry docs are different types of document, each should be separately exhibited.

Exhibits require a front sheet containing the court details (as per the witness statement) but between the "tramlines" replace the words witness statement with EXHIBIT ABCX. underneath the tramlines the document should have the words: 'This is Exhibit ABCX referred to in the witness statement of SAARCHY." You must then sign and date as per the witness statement, doing the same for each exhibit.

Oh and keep calm. You have until 4pm tomorrow to get it to court. That said, your draft statement suggests this is still in Northants. Has it not yet been moved to HW county court?

Finally if the documents are voluminous, if you can, try and get a hard copy to the court. They may not be willing to print off sizeable email attachments.
  • Rereading the past threads, if this is now at HE county, your documents should more correctly replace the old court with: In the High Wycombe county court

Regarding costs, if you're going to claim them, do it properly. If possible prepare a spreadsheet of letters sent and documents prepared to append to the cover page, with a time estimate for each. Then on the cover page multiply hours by £60 (being approximately 50% of costs of a grade D fee earner) that'll result in a more sizeable sum.

I can't trace the thread, but bargepole attended a recent case in HW county to which the court suggested this was an approach they were prepared to consider when assessing unreasonable costs. That schedule is normally served 7 clear days prior to a hearing (so not with the witness statement)
  • Castle
    Castle Posts: 4,190 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Johnersh wrote: »
    I can't trace the thread, but bargepole attended a recent case in HW county to which the court suggested this was an approach they were prepared to consider when assessing unreasonable costs. That schedule is normally served 7 clear days prior to a hearing (so not with the witness statement)
    Bargepole's post no 59:-
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5563690&page=3
  • saarchy
    Johnersh wrote: »
    Rereading the past threads, if this is now at HE county, your documents should more correctly replace the old court with: In the High Wycombe county court

Regarding costs, if you're going to claim them, do it properly. If possible prepare a spreadsheet of letters sent and documents prepared to append to the cover page, with a time estimate for each. Then on the cover page multiply hours by £60 (being approximately 50% of costs of a grade D fee earner) that'll result in a more sizeable sum.

Thanks for all the feedback. I believe I've made the necessary changes in the document. Can you check the dropbox link below (full version including pictures, formatting etc) and let me know if any further changes are needed.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ygji0zsbd5yj7t/Witness%20Statement%20-%20D0QZ924M%20-%20MSE%20Version.doc?dl=0

Today's mail is collected at 4PM today, so I need to get this to the postbox and e-mailed out before then.

Annoyingly, still not sign of any documents from VCS!
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure