Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • footyguy
    • By footyguy 21st Feb 17, 11:14 PM
    • 4,136Posts
    • 1,679Thanks
    footyguy
    British Gas is to launch a 100m customer loyalty scheme in April.
    • 21st Feb 17, 11:14 PM
    British Gas is to launch a 100m customer loyalty scheme in April. 21st Feb 17 at 11:14 PM

The programme will include discounts on energy or Sky entertainment packages.

Energy firms have been under pressure from the government not to punish loyal customers as campaigners have urged consumers to switch to cheaper tariffs.

A spokesman told the BBC the company "strongly denied" offers such as Sky TV would make it harder for customers to compare tariffs.
    Read more here:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-39044789

But 100m divied up amongst circa 10m customers will mean an average reward of about a tenner, I calculate ... so probably a lot less than most people are paying over the odds to BG anyway.
Page 1
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 22nd Feb 17, 9:17 AM
    • 6,084 Posts
    • 3,873 Thanks
    Hengus
    • 22nd Feb 17, 9:17 AM
    • 22nd Feb 17, 9:17 AM
    Smoke and mirrors? I just wish that energy suppliers would drop these crazy marketing schemes. I just want energy at the cheapest possible price with no rewards, discounts or cash back - all of which come with an additional cost to the consumer.
    • fredandwilma
    • By fredandwilma 22nd Feb 17, 10:10 AM
    • 1,193 Posts
    • 1,633 Thanks
    fredandwilma
    • 22nd Feb 17, 10:10 AM
    • 22nd Feb 17, 10:10 AM
    Smoke and mirrors? I just wish that energy suppliers would drop these crazy marketing schemes. I just want energy at the cheapest possible price with no rewards, discounts or cash back - all of which come with an additional cost to the consumer.
    Originally posted by Hengus

Whilst I'm definitely not a fan of the Sky entertainment package idea, rewards / discounts / cash back, can still tip the balance in favour of one supplier over another, for some people?

I still look at the overall package being offered, for instance, whilst the Iresa Flex 4 tariff is comparable to the tariff I'm already on, it's still more expensive. Whilst it's undoubtedly the cheapest tariff on the market at the moment, factor in Paperless billing discounts, Dual fuel discounts, availability of the WHDS, Energy funds, Smart meter system, Priority Services register, excellent customer service, professionalism and reputation of an energy company, are still important, to me.

If they all still give me the cheapest price overall, it's a win win, situation.
    Fred - Where's your get up and go?

Barney - It just got up and went.

Carpe diem
    • MSE Faye
    • By MSE Faye 22nd Feb 17, 12:44 PM
    • 146 Posts
    • 55 Thanks
    MSE Faye
    • 22nd Feb 17, 12:44 PM
    MSE News: British Gas to offer customer loyalty scheme
    • 22nd Feb 17, 12:44 PM
    The longest-standing customers will be offered discounts on their energy - though it's not clear who will qualify...
    Read the full story:
    'British Gas to offer customer loyalty scheme'

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply. If you aren’t sure how it all works, read our New to Forum? Intro Guide.
    Last edited by MSE Megan F; 22-02-2017 at 2:25 PM.
    See the latest news from MoneySavingExpertNews
    Follow the MSE on Twitter: @MoneySavingExp
    Get Martin's Money Tips
    Join the MSE Forum
    • 10Wbulb
    • By 10Wbulb 10th Aug 18, 4:56 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    10Wbulb
    • 10th Aug 18, 4:56 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 4:56 PM
    Anyone know what the Rewards discount is for long term customers, I'm not interested in any other of their rewards.

I don't want to join just to find that it's not worth bothering with because, I have read that to join you have to have paperless billing, and at the moment I don't want that.
    • Skools_Out
    • By Skools_Out 10th Aug 18, 5:12 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    Skools_Out
    • 10th Aug 18, 5:12 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 5:12 PM
    Anyone know what the Rewards discount is for long term customers, I'm not interested in any other of their rewards.

I don't want to join just to find that it's not worth bothering with because, I have read that to join you have to have paperless billing, and at the moment I don't want that.
    Originally posted by 10Wbulb
    Can I ask before opting to bump this 18 month old thread with your user id that you have not used for 2 years, if you read the article linked to???

It's just that the article specififies examples of rewards that were to be offered

I see you've immediately left again after this posting ...
    • 10Wbulb
    • By 10Wbulb 10th Aug 18, 5:46 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    10Wbulb
    • 10th Aug 18, 5:46 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 5:46 PM
    Skools_Out, I did read the article, that's how I found this thread, ie I read the article first, and that led me to this thread.

Consequently., I try to ask the question again, does anyone know the value of the "loyalty deal" discount for long term customers?
    Last edited by 10Wbulb; 10-08-2018 at 5:50 PM.
    • Skools_Out
    • By Skools_Out 10th Aug 18, 5:50 PM
    • 161 Posts
    • 47 Thanks
    Skools_Out
    • 10th Aug 18, 5:50 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 5:50 PM
    Skools_Out, I did read the article, that's how I found this thread, ie I read the article first, and that led me to this thread.

Consequently., I try to ask the question again, does anyone know the value of the of the Rewards discount for long term customers?
    Originally posted by 10Wbulb
    Yes, it's detailed in the reports linked to.
    • 10Wbulb
    • By 10Wbulb 10th Aug 18, 5:53 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    10Wbulb
    • 10th Aug 18, 5:53 PM
    • 10th Aug 18, 5:53 PM
    Sorry but I cannot see any links!
    • Joyful
    • By Joyful 11th Aug 18, 11:49 AM
    • 2,235 Posts
    • 1,161 Thanks
    Joyful
    The value of rewards will vary on what the uptake is for each. Over a few month s I saved about 130. This included free electricity, free hive and light bulbs and Free sky films. They also have 2 for 1 meals and discounts on shopping and insurance so it really depends on what you want from the offers, how much you save. Unfortunately the 2 for 1 meals seem to miss out Edinburgh so I am not happy about that.
    I am an employee of British Gas.The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Centrica, its subsidiaries or affiliated companies.
    • 10Wbulb
    • By 10Wbulb 11th Aug 18, 12:11 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    10Wbulb
    Thanks Joyful, but I'm not interested in the extras, can you please tell me how much I will get off my bill if I join Rewards, I only receive gas from British Gas and have been with them about 25 years.

I cannot find my summary but the annual bill will probably approach 15,000 now. EDIT 1500.

2 nd edit

Just found last year's summary and it was 26,000 kWh. and the estimated cost was 1,100.
    Last edited by 10Wbulb; 11-08-2018 at 2:04 PM. Reason: Added annual bill
    • Joyful
    • By Joyful 11th Aug 18, 12:32 PM
    • 2,235 Posts
    • 1,161 Thanks
    Joyful
    You only get something off your bill if in the rewards package for any month it says x days free gas. I signed up for 5 then another month, 20 days free electric. To get anything at all, you must check the rewards in your online account month, then subscribe to any you want. This is the only way to get anything. No one knows in advance what will be offered for the next month.

Have you made a mistake or are you a business? You spend 15000 on gas per year ot 15000 units of gas?
    I am an employee of British Gas.The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Centrica, its subsidiaries or affiliated companies.
    • 10Wbulb
    • By 10Wbulb 11th Aug 18, 2:03 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    10Wbulb
    OK thanks Joyful, no LOL, I meant 1500, see my edit above. Last year the summary was 26,000 kWh.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

163Posts Today

1,502Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin