Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sarah
    • By MSE Sarah 21st Feb 17, 5:40 PM
    • 119Posts
    • 63Thanks
    MSE Sarah
    Discuss the Flog Your Junk For Cash guide
    • 21st Feb 17, 5:40 PM
    Discuss the Flog Your Junk For Cash guide 21st Feb 17 at 5:40 PM
    We've written a guide on Flogging Your Junk For Cash and would love your feedback.

How did you find the info? Was it useful? Do you have any other tips you'd add?

Thanks for your help!

MSE Sarah
    Last edited by MSE Steve; 21-02-2017 at 10:35 PM.
    Grab the latest MSE Deals
    Follow the Deals Team on Twitter: @MSE_Deals
    Get Martin's Money Tips
    Join the MSE Forum
Page 2
    • 50Twuncle
    • By 50Twuncle 12th Jul 17, 8:52 AM
    • 8,292 Posts
    • 1,964 Thanks
    50Twuncle
    Nobody will pay even a penny for empty toilet roll tubes !!
    I don't think that MSE lives in the real world
    • cherrylips76
    • By cherrylips76 12th Jul 17, 11:56 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    cherrylips76
    1 mans junk is another mans treasure!!
    I've sold empty perfume & aftershave bottles 5-8each on ebay, somebody actually messaged asking if they could just buy the top of 1 of the bottles!! Over the years I ended up with a collection of 20 old mobile phones & various chargers some working some not, listed them on Gumtree sold in bulk stating they were "untested selling as spares/repairs got 45 plus extra 20 by asking the buyer if had any use for old untested electricals which were collecting dust in the shed he took them all, a printer, e-reader, digital camera, wifi router, portable dvd player most were missing the lead or plug and would of eventually gone to the tip. Other bits of junk found in drawers such as odd old buttons and broken jewellery sell for a fair amount. The list is endless really what junk items many people are willing to buy, where others just simply class it as junk and in the bin is where it belongs!!
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 13th Jul 17, 5:59 AM
    • 4,732 Posts
    • 26,860 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Just seen the thread and want to add to the loo roll discussion.

I used to save my loo roll middles and donate them to my local village Primary School who were always needing bits and bobs for various things. One day I took some in and the teacher showed me a directive that all the County's schools had recently received from the LEA stating that, for health reasons, used loo roll middles should not be handled and used by the children.

Not sure if this was ever rescinded but Elf & Safety regs have taken a lot of fun out of life IMO
    Make 10 A Day Challenge 2018: Jan-Apr: 757.05+. May: 1230.95

Original Debt: 56804 (@02/13). Now: 9998
    . Under 10K at long last.
    • Greenqueen
    • By Greenqueen 13th Jul 17, 10:01 PM
    • 328 Posts
    • 566 Thanks
    Greenqueen
    Yes, I work in childcare. We changed to only accepting rolls from kitchen paper that we can cut down, however I believe the "health and safety" ruling is actually an urban myth.
    • carbootcrazy
    • By carbootcrazy 14th Jul 17, 9:29 AM
    • 4,732 Posts
    • 26,860 Thanks
    carbootcrazy
    Yes, I work in childcare. We changed to only accepting rolls from kitchen paper that we can cut down, however I believe the "health and safety" ruling is actually an urban myth.
    Originally posted by Greenqueen
    The teacher at the school I used to donate loo roll middles to showed me the actual circular that the school had received from their Local Education Authority. The staff were pretty annoyed about it as they used loads of loo roll middles in craft projects. Certainly not an urban myth in my neck of the woods
    Make 10 A Day Challenge 2018: Jan-Apr: 757.05+. May: 1230.95

Original Debt: 56804 (@02/13). Now: 9998
    . Under 10K at long last.
    • Cazza
    • By Cazza 23rd Aug 17, 10:22 AM
    • 1,130 Posts
    • 946 Thanks
    Cazza
    I tried selling milk bottle tops on eBay not long after this article was written, no takers. There's a local charity that collects them so I now send them there.
    • youdontsay
    • By youdontsay 24th Aug 17, 6:01 AM
    • 83 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    youdontsay
    Plus the added disadvantage of selling anything on ebay where the buyer gets to leave negative feedback but the seller has to remain silent if they have a bad experience (and theres plenty of those to be had nowadays on ebay) Ebay has completely changed and not for the better
    • KnowWhen2FoldEm
    • By KnowWhen2FoldEm 23rd Feb 18, 5:05 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    KnowWhen2FoldEm
    MoneyLosingIdiot
    Sold via Ebay auction: 20 jam jars

Final auction bid: 1.04

Net receipts inc payment for p&p: 4.66

Actual p&p costs: Free recycled packing materials (phew!) + 16.40 postage (aaaarghgghgh!)

Result: Misery (Aka an 11.74 deficit).

Question: Is there really any type of relatively ordinary jar - or any amount of such jars - for which the payment is genuinely likely to outweigh the cost of postage that any buyer will be truly likely to tolerate?

(Before answering, please take into consideration that glass is an exceptionally heavy material, and the p&p costs charged in this case were fixed relative to other sellers on Ebay offering similar items in similar quantities.)

I have to admit I did not, in this instance

KnowWhen2FoldEm
    • Wizzbang
    • By Wizzbang 23rd Feb 18, 5:18 PM
    • 4,364 Posts
    • 9,923 Thanks
    Wizzbang
    Well, sorry but it's your own fault. It's easy to calculate the weight of an item BEFORE posting using your kitchen or bathroom scales. Then, you get quotes and put the ACTUAL cost of postage on your listing. Also taking into account fees that will be deducted, so that you don't make a loss.

Next time, Freecycle them.
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 34,570.30
    (Not inc coupons, yellow stickies, bank interest or loyalty rewards because I have better things to do than catalogue everything!) Swagbucks 2,413.50
    • KnowWhen2FoldEm
    • By KnowWhen2FoldEm 24th Feb 18, 9:28 AM
    • 331 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    KnowWhen2FoldEm
    Wizzbang said: It's easy to calculate the weight of an item BEFORE posting using your kitchen or bathroom scales.

Which again begs the question I was asking (and which remains unanswered): Do all the sellers on EBay, offering similar items with similar p&p, know something I don't? Or are they as deluded as I was? Is there really NO viable market for old jam jars, such as MSE suggests?

After all, if I HAD correctly calculated the postage at 16.40 and marked that up as part of my offer alongside those other sellers quoting p&p at 3.99 or similar, then pretty obviously I would have been unlikely to make a sale.

So I still wonder what's really going on here.

Wizzbang also said: Next time, Freecycle them.

I gave up on Freegle (as the breakaway group from Freecycle is now called) after losing rather MORE than 11.74 of value in unpaid time waiting in for 3 different callers who agreed a pickup and then never turned up!

"Buyer and seller", or let's say "giver and taker", etiquette on Freegle is terrible. People do not bother to answer messages if their item is already spoken for, do not trouble to tell you if they've already found something else suitable and no longer need your item, and seem to put no store in turning up on time, or even at all if it doesn't suit them, without apology or explanation.

The reason, of course, is the stuff is free. When money isn't at stake, neither is reputation in future dealings, unlike EBay. So - who cares? Freegle proved to be one of my less inspiring insights into human nature.

Those items I now give to charity or dispose of responsibly, which sometimes entails costs.

But I haven't entirely given up on the jam jars. I have another 35 or so, and I notice a local couple are asking for old jars for homemade jams they sell alongside hen and duck eggs.

Now I wonder if they could be persuaded to barter some eggs for some jars...

Yours in eternal optimism

KW2FE
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 24th Feb 18, 4:10 PM
    • 10,675 Posts
    • 8,914 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    Wizzbang said: It's easy to calculate the weight of an item BEFORE posting using your kitchen or bathroom scales.

Which again begs the question I was asking (and which remains unanswered): Do all the sellers on EBay, offering similar items with similar p&p, know something I don't? Or are they as deluded as I was? Is there really NO viable market for old jam jars, such as MSE suggests?

After all, if I HAD correctly calculated the postage at 16.40 and marked that up as part of my offer alongside those other sellers quoting p&p at 3.99 or similar, then pretty obviously I would have been unlikely to make a sale.

So I still wonder what's really going on here.

Wizzbang also said: Next time, Freecycle them.

I gave up on Freegle (as the breakaway group from Freecycle is now called) after losing rather MORE than 11.74 of value in unpaid time waiting in for 3 different callers who agreed a pickup and then never turned up!

"Buyer and seller", or let's say "giver and taker", etiquette on Freegle is terrible. People do not bother to answer messages if their item is already spoken for, do not trouble to tell you if they've already found something else suitable and no longer need your item, and seem to put no store in turning up on time, or even at all if it doesn't suit them, without apology or explanation.

The reason, of course, is the stuff is free. When money isn't at stake, neither is reputation in future dealings, unlike EBay. So - who cares? Freegle proved to be one of my less inspiring insights into human nature.

Those items I now give to charity or dispose of responsibly, which sometimes entails costs.

But I haven't entirely given up on the jam jars. I have another 35 or so, and I notice a local couple are asking for old jars for homemade jams they sell alongside hen and duck eggs.

Now I wonder if they could be persuaded to barter some eggs for some jars...

Yours in eternal optimism

KW2FE
    Originally posted by KnowWhen2FoldEm
    I think most of us have had the same problem with Freegle, although I have found several very grateful recipients, some who e-mailed or phoned to thank me for the items after collection.

Regarding saleability, I would suggest that it is luck more than anything. You may just find the one person who wants to buy the item you wish to sell, or you may not. After several attempts at trying to offer 10 unopened blank and about 25 pre-recorded audiocassettes on Freegle, eventually a father took them as his teenage son wanted them. Very prompt in collecting and very grateful. And that is giving items away, not selling!

My attitude is now that for small value items, e-Bay or similar is just too much time and effort for minimal return. Either recycle, charity bag or Freegle.
    • KnowWhen2FoldEm
    • By KnowWhen2FoldEm 24th Feb 18, 5:01 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    KnowWhen2FoldEm
    Thanks for those thoughts, lincroft 1710. A useful corrective to my bitter and twisted take on Freegle, and I now find myself very much in agreement with your conclusion re EBay.

This decluttering business ain't quite the free and easy highway I hoped it would be...

KW2FE
    • fraserbooks
    • By fraserbooks 24th Feb 18, 7:15 PM
    • 308 Posts
    • 5,556 Thanks
    fraserbooks
    Not exactly junk but ebay is good for exchanging foreign coins if the bank won't take them. Also for buying some discounted currency.
    • Wizzbang
    • By Wizzbang 25th Feb 18, 5:11 PM
    • 4,364 Posts
    • 9,923 Thanks
    Wizzbang
    You just need to develop a bit more of a hard skin to it all. Yes, unfortunately there are a lot of idiots out there, no matter what you are involved with in life. You'll sell yourself short if you opt out of everything one by one, just because you've encountered one of them! People even do it these days when they just don't bother to reply to invitations, so you don't know how many to cater for or they let you down at the last minute because they've received a better offer. Blacklist those people, but not everyone is the same and you will encounter some lovely people.

Use this free calculator in future, to save yourself from getting out of pocket on eBay:

http://finalfeecalc.co.uk

Ultimately though, I just don't understand why you've got so hung up on a bunch of jam jars?!?! Just recycle them if no-one wants to pay the right price and you don't want to dispose of them in other ways. That way you've lost nothing.

Just because an MSE suggests that you 'can' sell jam jars, toilet rolls or whatever, doesn't mean to say that the gospel truth for everyone. It will be dependent on many variables - time of year i.e. you've just missed Marmalade season and jam making season is a long time off. Whether there are people in your area who want/ need jam jars, whether they would consider second hand, what your seller rating is and so on. Ultimately though, most sensible people would either save their own jam jars if they needed to, or they would ask for free on Freecycle - why pay for something you can get free? Ultimately you can buy them so cheaply, for example here: http://www.lakeland.co.uk/3819/12-Standard-Glass-Jam-Jars-Without-Lids-1lb-454g brand new - you can see why people won't be paying your postage costs.

I think most people would suggest to you - lesson learned. Although I can't help but feel that you've completely missed the point of decluttering which is to rid yourself of the item, not necessarily sell it. Especially something as insignificant and of virtually no value as a jam jar.
    Minimalist
    (Not inc coupons, yellow stickies, bank interest or loyalty rewards because I have better things to do than catalogue everything!) Swagbucks 2,413.50
    • KnowWhen2FoldEm
    • By KnowWhen2FoldEm 25th Feb 18, 6:53 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    KnowWhen2FoldEm
    Wizzbang said: "I can't help but feel that you've completely missed the point of decluttering which is to rid yourself of the item, not necessarily sell it."

Ah. Sorry to have missed the point so badly.

Please remind me again of the title of this thread, so I can get fully up to speed with the subject that was supposed to be under discussion?
    Last edited by KnowWhen2FoldEm; 25-02-2018 at 7:30 PM. Reason: Additional info
    • Wizzbang
    • By Wizzbang 25th Feb 18, 11:24 PM
    • 4,364 Posts
    • 9,923 Thanks
    Wizzbang
    Just because theoretically you 'can', doesn't mean you should. I mean, people sell cooked Brussels Sprouts at Christmas, others sell used underwear and some sell very well used footwear to people with weird fetishes. You could save up all your household recycling and sell it to a local recycling company in volume, but would it be worth the space it would take up in your house and all the effort? Would you? Just because you 'could'?

But good luck with your 'decluttering' if you're going to try and sell every last item.....
    Minimalist
    • ploppy57
    • By ploppy57 27th Feb 18, 4:08 PM
    • 722 Posts
    • 4,651 Thanks
    ploppy57
    Only just found this thread and just wanted to comment re the jam jar discussion. I work in a dementia day centre and we sometimes use jars for painting/ crafting etc, making tea light holders at Christmas etc. So maybe an outlet for them to places like that or local old folks homes, schools etc.
    Or...make your own tea light/candle holders and sell them maybe
    DMP March '15 57,549. Now 44,430. almost 23% paid. Went SM Feb '18 to get DF sooner.
    Emergency fund #231... Building up slowly.
    Christmas '18 challenge... 22 /300
    "There's a Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow, Shining at the end of every day"
    • KnowWhen2FoldEm
    • By KnowWhen2FoldEm 9th Mar 18, 9:38 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 86 Thanks
    KnowWhen2FoldEm
    Glad to report a happy ending to my jar saga!

My local homemade jam merchant has agreed to a barter deal at the rate of 3 jars for a single hen's egg, 5 for a duck's, or a dozen-for-six on hen's eggs, if I can supply all the jars in one go at the height of his production in the autumn. Turns out he makes seasonal jam, but year-round chutneys, so he always needs jars.

Just one tip that might be worthwhile for others trying to flog jars: it wasn't so much the jars that interested him, as the fact they had unbranded metal lids which could be repurposed for any contents. The ones I sold so unsuccessfully on EBay were branded. I can't tell for sure, but this may have put off some potential bidders. My barter deal wouldn't have worked with plastic lids either: "not classy enough", apparently.

Can't claim to have made any money from all this, but at least my peanut butter habit now pays a small dividend in high-quality eggs, plus I've forged a new connection with a neighbour. So a distinct improvement on chuckin' them jars in the bottle bank.

Good luck flogging your junk!
    • ap2010
    • By ap2010 9th May 18, 2:29 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    ap2010
    re: middle class equivalent of picking cans up off the streets

bit of spare cash, cleaner streets and less landfill - winning all round!

(full disclosure, my dad used to do that at home in Australia)
    Last edited by ap2010; 09-05-2018 at 2:30 PM. Reason: forgot to include original content
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,159Posts Today

6,586Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin