Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Sarah
    • By MSE Sarah 21st Feb 17, 4:40 PM
    • 202Posts
    • 86Thanks
    MSE Sarah
    Discuss the Flog Your Junk For Cash guide
    • 21st Feb 17, 4:40 PM
    Discuss the Flog Your Junk For Cash guide 21st Feb 17 at 4:40 PM
    We've written a guide on Flogging Your Junk For Cash and would love your feedback.

How did you find the info? Was it useful? Do you have any other tips you'd add?

Thanks for your help!

MSE Sarah
    Last edited by MSE Steve; 21-02-2017 at 9:35 PM.

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • Wizzbang
    • By Wizzbang 21st Feb 17, 9:21 PM
    • 4,455 Posts
    • 10,154 Thanks
    Wizzbang
    • 21st Feb 17, 9:21 PM
    • 21st Feb 17, 9:21 PM
    We've written a guide on Flogging Your Junk For Cash and would love your feedback.

How did you find the info? Was it useful? Do you have any other tips you'd add?

Thanks for your help!

MSE Sarah
    Originally posted by MSE Sarah
    Whoops!
    Sorry, you've landed on a page that doesn't exist.
    Perhaps providing a valid link would help!
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 35,397.06
    (Not inc coupons, yellow stickies, bank interest or loyalty rewards because I have better things to do than catalogue everything!) Swagbucks 2,700.00
    • MSE Steve
    • By MSE Steve 21st Feb 17, 9:35 PM
    • 77 Posts
    • 29 Thanks
    MSE Steve
    • 21st Feb 17, 9:35 PM
    • 21st Feb 17, 9:35 PM
    Thanks - that should have been fixed now.

MSE Steve
    • tonyh66
    • By tonyh66 21st Feb 17, 10:43 PM
    • 1,453 Posts
    • 993 Thanks
    tonyh66
    • 21st Feb 17, 10:43 PM
    • 21st Feb 17, 10:43 PM
    youv'e just saturated the market, lowering the prices......
    • beingjamie
    • By beingjamie 22nd Feb 17, 9:01 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    beingjamie
    • 22nd Feb 17, 9:01 AM
    • 22nd Feb 17, 9:01 AM
    youv'e just saturated the market, lowering the prices......
    Originally posted by tonyh66
    MSE isn't just for you. This is really useful info.
    Last edited by beingjamie; 22-02-2017 at 9:02 AM. Reason: I missed out copy/pasting the quote.
    • dangermaus80
    • By dangermaus80 22nd Feb 17, 9:18 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    dangermaus80
    • 22nd Feb 17, 9:18 AM
    Ebay postage sting
    • 22nd Feb 17, 9:18 AM
    It's probably worth mentioning that ebay also charge you 10% of any postage costs you include. So be careful not to end up out of pocket, especially as you will presumably need to incur the cost of packaging materials, tape etc.
    • paulharding150
    • By paulharding150 22nd Feb 17, 9:33 AM
    • 116 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    paulharding150
    • 22nd Feb 17, 9:33 AM
    • 22nd Feb 17, 9:33 AM
    This is really useful info.
    Originally posted by beingjamie
    Selling toilet rolls on eBay? No it really isn't useful info.
    The campaign against overpowering signatures
    • tonyh66
    • By tonyh66 22nd Feb 17, 10:13 AM
    • 1,453 Posts
    • 993 Thanks
    tonyh66
    • 22nd Feb 17, 10:13 AM
    • 22nd Feb 17, 10:13 AM
    its the middle class equivalent of wandering the streets with a shopping trolley and picking up drinks cans.
    • Inedible Pencil
    • By Inedible Pencil 22nd Feb 17, 11:36 AM
    • 13 Posts
    • 84 Thanks
    Inedible Pencil
    • 22nd Feb 17, 11:36 AM
    • 22nd Feb 17, 11:36 AM
    Jam jars are a great idea, especially when you can bung them in the dishwasher first. But how many of your family's pet coliform bacteria will a loo roll tube have picked up, before you flog it on eBay?
    • beingjamie
    • By beingjamie 22nd Feb 17, 11:48 AM
    • 18 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    beingjamie
    Selling toilet rolls on eBay? No it really isn't useful info.
    Originally posted by paulharding150
    Extra cash from your recycling? I'd say it's useful. This is a website and forum dedicated to saving money, remember.
    • paulharding150
    • By paulharding150 22nd Feb 17, 12:09 PM
    • 116 Posts
    • 102 Thanks
    paulharding150
    A couple of pence (possibly) per toilet roll if you sell (approx) 50 in one go. Plus the postage on what will be quite a large (but light) parcel.

If you need money that badly, sell the computer and cancel the internet connection you're using to view this forum on!
    The campaign against overpowering signatures
    • redux
    • By redux 22nd Feb 17, 1:51 PM
    • 19,629 Posts
    • 27,236 Thanks
    redux
    I looked for toilet roll tubes in the completed listings on eBay

Almost all had remained unsold, but maybe between 5 and 10% had made 4 to 6 pence each in batches of 40 or more.

I don't think may people would be patient enough to give them house room, first while building up stock, then listing them maybe a dozen times to get rid of them.

In the recycling bin, and instead cut back on your drinking by half a pint of beer or equivalent per year.
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 22nd Feb 17, 3:09 PM
    • 12,153 Posts
    • 10,695 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    you've just saturated the market, lowering the prices......
    I looked for toilet roll tubes in the completed listings on eBay

Almost all had remained unsold, but maybe between 5 and 10% had made 4 to 6 pence each in batches of 40 or more.
    Originally posted by redux
    There appears to be a limited market for toilet roll tubes (surprise, surprise!) Trying to penetrate a buyer's market is little short of pointless.
    • blink18
    • By blink18 23rd Feb 17, 12:10 AM
    • 614 Posts
    • 1,048 Thanks
    blink18
    So 50 loo rolls for 5, minus fees and postage and you've made 2 quid, or even a loss depending on how bulky the box is
    • wightmouse
    • By wightmouse 23rd Feb 17, 10:14 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    wightmouse
    Having read your Flogging Your Junk For Cash article I have to point out that you can only post perfume if it is in it's original retail packaging, placed in strong outer packaging and cushioned to prevent breakage. An empty bottle would contain flammable fumes and a tiny drop of flammable liquid. It should therefore be refused at the Post Office counter unless it is in it's original packaging (if the clerk was doing their job correctly). If it was posted it could be destroyed and the sender could be prosecuted so really not worth it!
    • redux
    • By redux 23rd Feb 17, 1:05 PM
    • 19,629 Posts
    • 27,236 Thanks
    redux
    Aaaargh. I received an email from eBay about viewing an item recently, so now they think I'm interested.
    • L33bou
    • By L33bou 24th Feb 17, 8:30 AM
    • 20 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    L33bou
    its the middle class equivalent of wandering the streets with a shopping trolley and picking up drinks cans.
    If it helps someone earn a bit of money i think its helpful, shame you feel you have to be negative
    • lincroft1710
    • By lincroft1710 24th Feb 17, 2:45 PM
    • 12,153 Posts
    • 10,695 Thanks
    lincroft1710
    If it helps someone earn a bit of money i think its helpful, shame you feel you have to be negative
    Originally posted by L33bou
    Even "earn a bit of money" is optimistic! Unless you have a large family or someone with IBS (or similar) how long will it take you to save 40/50 toilet roll tubes? Chances of selling them? 5-10%, even less if more people start selling.
    • fraserbooks
    • By fraserbooks 26th Feb 17, 3:19 PM
    • 325 Posts
    • 5,686 Thanks
    fraserbooks
    I collect them for a charity but used postage stamps sold in 1 kg bulk lots do quite well on e.bay.
    • Firemunchkin
    • By Firemunchkin 27th Feb 17, 8:47 AM
    • 276 Posts
    • 485 Thanks
    Firemunchkin
    I save my loo rolls for planting seeds in, so saving them isn't an issue for me and they don't take up as much room as you'd think. I have a beach bag under a hall table that I throw them in. Gets about 40 in there. But, as I'm likely to use them, any I don't I'd probably prefer to donate to my local allotments rather than try making pennies out of them. Still, it's a great way to reduce overall waste (even recycling uses up energy so is a last resort for the zero waste movement - better to reuse than recycle).

The other ideas, milk bottle tops, can pulls, corks, jars etc all seem sensible too. I reuse my corks and jars anyway (jams, chutneys, cork homemade gifts) but if other things have a reuse I'll save them to pass on, regardless of whether I can sell them or not (see above re reuse over recycle) although making a few extra quid isn't a bad thing!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

922Posts Today

6,789Users online

Martin's Twitter