Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • trinidadone
    • By trinidadone 18th Feb 17, 12:56 AM
    • 3,053Posts
    • 1,133Thanks
    trinidadone
    0 WOW
    Are value / Basic brands disappearing from the supermarkets?
    • 18th Feb 17, 12:56 AM
    0 WOW
    Are value / Basic brands disappearing from the supermarkets? 18th Feb 17 at 12:56 AM
    Last month, while shopping in Sanisburys, I notice all the basic soups were reduce to 10p. I bought a few cans, and notice they are no longer on the shelves.

When I went into Tesco's to purchase fairy liquid, I notice there was no value brand fairy liquid on the shelves.

Tesco's value toothpaste was reduced from 25p to 23p today, and a yellow sticker underneath it, which read "clearance price".

The one liter value foam soap was reduced from 50p to 45p, again with a yellow sticker saying "clearance price". None of these products are damage, so I can only assume the supermarkets are discontinuing some of there value/basic products linr products - Thoughts please???
    Last edited by trinidadone; 18-02-2017 at 9:38 AM.
    Trinidad - The hottest place to go
Page 5
    • Living proof
    • By Living proof 17th Apr 18, 8:26 PM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 8,167 Thanks
    Living proof
    Morrisons are promoting their basic's brand! everything is cheap
    Originally posted by jadewest94
    Yes, they have just emailed me a survey about this. They wanted to know if there was anything new about their new brands and I said no because everyone else has already done it. I guess the answer should have been...so there is a good opening for anyone now who can keep the promise.
    Solar Suntellite 250 x16 4kW Afore 3600TL dual 2KW E 2KW W no shade, DN15 March 14
    Mortgage and Debt Free. Unfortunately Pension Free too!
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 20th Apr 18, 9:59 PM
    • 12,458 Posts
    • 9,507 Thanks
    fatbelly
    Yes, I use a few Morrisons saver products:

washing-up liquid 34p
    laundry liquid 1.58
    oats 75p
    honey 1
    tin beans
    tin tomatoes / kidney beans 30p
    crumpets 37p
    tissues 65p
    binbags 95p

haven't tried but should be ok:

Jaffa cakes 30p
    orange juice 1l 55p
    yogurt 500g 45p
    • sarahj1986
    • By sarahj1986 21st Apr 18, 6:44 PM
    • 1,076 Posts
    • 1,977 Thanks
    sarahj1986
    Morrisons seemed to have rebranded their value range and started marketing it again. I don!!!8217;t know how it compares to the old value brand range or price though
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 24th Apr 18, 12:15 PM
    • 15,002 Posts
    • 144,113 Thanks
    mardatha
    I've never been to a Morrisons - are these basics items nice - and could you get a sizeable chunk of the weekly shop there?
    • fatbelly
    • By fatbelly 24th Apr 18, 7:32 PM
    • 12,458 Posts
    • 9,507 Thanks
    fatbelly
    I've never been to a Morrisons - are these basics items nice - and could you get a sizeable chunk of the weekly shop there?
    Originally posted by mardatha
    I get most of my weekly shop there with a few bits from Lidl. occasionally Iceland.

I've been doing that for a few years since I got fed up with Tesco. I never go there now.

All the saver items I listed earlier are fine. You can't really go wrong with them. Oats is oats.

I might avoid some of the saver range. I think they do a cottage pie for 1. Haven't tried it.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 24th Apr 18, 8:52 PM
    • 15,002 Posts
    • 144,113 Thanks
    mardatha
    I'll try and get to one sometime soon, could stock up and save a good bit over Sainsbugs I think.
    • judexx
    • By judexx 7th May 18, 11:13 AM
    • 446 Posts
    • 819 Thanks
    judexx
    Tesco rebranding their 'EverydayValue' range
    Heads-up if you're shopping online - Tesco would appear to be rebranding their 'Value' range.

The old 'value' ones are showing as discontinued and (of course) they don't suggest the rebranded one as an alternative but their more expensive own label.

Initially I cursed as it appeared that they had stopped selling so many of my favourite 'value' items but then I realised that they are just changing them to many different brands.

So far I've found Cupboard stock eg oats, sultana are now 'Grower's Harvest' and tinned goods are 'Stockwell & Co'. - would appear to be identical products to the old 'Value' ones.

Can't keep up with the various 'farm' brands for fruit and veg.

Has anyone else found any other new brands that used to be 'Value' ?
    • mummyof5
    • By mummyof5 7th May 18, 11:46 AM
    • 329 Posts
    • 716 Thanks
    mummyof5
    Their chocolate digestives are now Ms Molly I think.
    Just hope they don't take away their value tea bags !
    • anamenottaken
    • By anamenottaken 7th May 18, 2:05 PM
    • 4,146 Posts
    • 3,628 Thanks
    anamenottaken
    H W Nevill's for white sliced bread (45p) and I think there should be wholemeal too but not in the Metro I was in this morning.
    • KxMx
    • By KxMx 8th May 18, 2:23 PM
    • 7,406 Posts
    • 10,691 Thanks
    KxMx
    Heads-up if you're shopping online - Tesco would appear to be rebranding their 'Value' range.

The old 'value' ones are showing as discontinued and (of course) they don't suggest the rebranded one as an alternative but their more expensive own label.

Initially I cursed as it appeared that they had stopped selling so many of my favourite 'value' items but then I realised that they are just changing them to many different brands.

So far I've found Cupboard stock eg oats, sultana are now 'Grower's Harvest' and tinned goods are 'Stockwell & Co'. - would appear to be identical products to the old 'Value' ones.

Can't keep up with the various 'farm' brands for fruit and veg.

Has anyone else found any other new brands that used to be 'Value' ?
    Originally posted by judexx
    Hearty Food Co is a new one,
    Suntrail Farms & Woodside Farms are old re-brands.
    • SeeMe
    • By SeeMe 8th May 18, 5:22 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    SeeMe
    Just hope they don't take away their value tea bags !
    Originally posted by mummyof5
    Was in today and the value tea bags were Stockwell & Co 80 for 50p in a box, you could buy their old value tea bags for 20p for 40, so its 10p dearer for the 80 box.
    • Katiehound
    • By Katiehound 8th May 18, 10:00 PM
    • 4,448 Posts
    • 38,879 Thanks
    Katiehound
    Morrison's saver yoghurt @ 45 pence is fine- well my dogs loved it last week !!

The saver products have disappeared from all over. I used to buy such things for my Christmas shoe box appeal boxes- Wilco's had a great range but they've pretty much all gone. Yes, don't ask! trying to sort out the box contents out now! There used to be cheap toothpaste, t.brushes, bars of soap etc- no more. Found cheap shower gel (smells nice) in Aldi @ 35? pence.....
    Being polite and pleasant doesn't cost anything!
    If you found my posting helpful please hit the "Thanks" button!
    Many thanks

2018 Wombling : Entrant 8 ..2319 cc+.2205mm (2.20.5) + RK 5.21= 30.64.5
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 9th May 18, 7:50 AM
    • 7,768 Posts
    • 13,987 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Two things I never buy in the value lines are meat (raw and cooked as in ham) and cleaning products.

One of my friends tried out a supermarket value washing up liquid and it was false economy as needed a huge squirt to get the dishes clean. This supermarket's normal washing up liquid was 12p more.
    • Clutterfree
    • By Clutterfree 10th May 18, 8:43 PM
    • 3,513 Posts
    • 19,110 Thanks
    Clutterfree
    Our local Tesco store sells very few Value products now.
    I used to buy the toilet duck, disinfectant and sandwich bags but not been able to get them for months.
    They still sell them in other stores but apparently our store is regarded as being in an "affluent" area so they stopped selling them!
    Ageing is a privilege not everyone gets
    • NoNoDrama
    • By NoNoDrama 12th May 18, 10:25 PM
    • 225 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    NoNoDrama
    Sainsbury's Basic still have a range of 234 (type in "basics" in their Grocery search )

If desperate enough you can get still do a full budget shop from that.

Like any value range it's a bit grim though their 20p dry Spaghetti is just pure starch , their 45p Cornflakes taste like 100% cardboard their toothpastes and deodorant (50p each currently) contain less of the active ingredients which makes them toothpaste and deodorant. Tinned stuff has more liquid to content ratio (Rice Pudding, Beans etc). Fruit, meat and vegetables are decent enough if you don't mind funny shapes etc.

It doesn't surprise me the supermarkets are stripping back on this kind of stuff, not sure the demand is quite there anymore. Shelf space rules in these places, if more people want the middle or higher ranges the shelf space will be taken by them.

Remember Vanilla Coke? Everybody loved that right? So why did it disappear? There is more people who like Diet Coke and normal Coke than Vanilla. Why take up shelf space with Vanilla if it won't go as fast as the standard Coke/s?

Like everything post recession it's risk averse. Risk averse Supermarkets means less choice and more of what the majority want.

This is how Lidl and Aldi have done so well...there isn't much or any choice in their product range (one type or Orange Juice, Toilet Roll etc). They have the price/quality ratio on point but as importantly there are no 'filler' products on their shelf's, it's a linear/risk adverse shopping experience.

They could choose to have 3 types of Orange Juice, but one would be the most popular and sell the most. So they don't offer the 3 types of Orange Juice, they just give the one they know will sell quickly thus maximising shelf space. The other 2 types of Orange Juice could sell ok say 30%, 30% 40% ratio but still less than the Juice selling 40%, so they take the choice out of the equation.
    • mardatha
    • By mardatha 14th May 18, 5:47 PM
    • 15,002 Posts
    • 144,113 Thanks
    mardatha
    We find the same thing, Asda Greek yog is brilliant and Sainsbugs is quite ok as well. And both cheap.
    • S_uk
    • By S_uk 21st May 18, 8:14 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    S_uk
    I noticed Tesco EV tissues have been discontinued, annoyingly. Looks like I'll be buying the Smart Price version from Asda.
    • 20aday
    • By 20aday 22nd May 18, 9:56 AM
    • 2,231 Posts
    • 924 Thanks
    20aday
    I work for Tesco and their Everyday Value cooked meats, pastry and dips are being re-branded as Eastman!!!8217;s Deli now.
    It's not your credit score that counts, it's your credit history. Any replies are my own personal opinion and not a representation of my employer.
    • ScarletMarble
    • By ScarletMarble 29th May 18, 7:53 AM
    • 7,768 Posts
    • 13,987 Thanks
    ScarletMarble
    Tesco use Molly's for their puddings EV lines. As saw trifle for 1 and some mini swiss rolls for 45-55p
    • klew356
    • By klew356 30th May 18, 1:20 PM
    • 158 Posts
    • 1,093 Thanks
    klew356
    a month ago our local morrisons had a dedicated area for their basic range, this was brilliant to see it all together, now it has disappeared and half the stuff isnt there anymore? very strange - i liked their peaches
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,886Posts Today

7,808Users online

Martin's Twitter