Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 2
    • Malthusian
    • By Malthusian 20th Feb 17, 9:45 AM
    • 4,337 Posts
    • 6,841 Thanks
    Malthusian
    And that is why I think it's wrong to simplify it in that way, because you shouldn't blindly assume that investment will offer a positive return.
    Originally posted by phillw
    GGS has already covered the difference between assuming a positive return and expectation of a positive return.

There is no assuming going on, this is a very simple mathematical concept. I flip a coin for a £1 stake and offer you £1.10 if it lands heads and 95p if it lands tails = investment. I flip a coin for a £1 stake and offer you £1.95 if it lands heads and nothing if it lands tails = gambling.

Binary trading isn't the bad guy, it's the con men running it.
    Ponzi schemes aren't the bad guy, it's the con men running them. Theft isn't the problem, it's the thieves.

Lloyds names who underwrote the insurance company didn't understand their investment either & lots of them went bankrupt.
    Because they thought it was possible that someone would give you free money if you agreed to be liable for stuff that would never happen, like people suffering health issues from asbestos. Whoops. What the connection is with binary options I have no idea.
    • Nodding Donkey
    • By Nodding Donkey 5th Sep 17, 7:44 PM
    • 2,569 Posts
    • 2,176 Thanks
    Nodding Donkey
    This looks like the latest one

http://198.187.30.79/~cnn/Martin-Lewis-58949-pounds-Arbitrage-Exposed-to-UK/?key1=43-lewis&campaign_id=23842663342490662&adset_id=23842 663343200662&adset_name=11+-+Lookalike+%28GB%2C+5%25%29+-+UK+Look+alike+all+Dep%2C+Desktop+Feed&ad_id=%7B%7 Bad.id%7D%7D&ad_name=Ad+12&placement=Desktop+Feed& age=30-65&gender=-&interest=-&sxid=9d34h1f8gttz

And Facebook are making money out of it as well
    • DemiDee
    • By DemiDee 4th Feb 18, 7:45 PM
    • 511 Posts
    • 257 Thanks
    DemiDee
    The con linking Martin Lewis to bitcoin continues. I have just had an ad come up in my Facebook news feed, a sponsored ad from the 'Graduate Hero' FB page which, when you click on it, looks like a real link to a trashy tabloid. See here: https://hrsumo.com/debt-free-wannabe-collection-inspiring-true-stories-help-beat-debts-uks-1-money-saving-expert/?adset=Adset1+Desktop+M+30&adid=Ad002&int=noint&ge nder=M.

I know that it's false because yesterday I saw the same ad that went through to an identical article on Katie Price, and when I checked out what was being said about bitcoin, I came straight to Money Saving Expert as a first port of call and already knew what Martin has to say about it!
    • Reaper
    • By Reaper 5th Feb 18, 8:46 AM
    • 6,280 Posts
    • 4,529 Thanks
    Reaper
    I've re-posted it in the "Fake Sites" feedback section for you where it is more likely to get spotted by MSE
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=73832336#post73832336
    • Gonz03
    • By Gonz03 24th Jun 18, 10:10 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gonz03
    I made the mistake of signing up to this website initially. Further investigation proved it to be a scam so fortunately I didn’t “invest”.
    The only problem is they keep ringing me using lots of different number and I can’t make them stop. I used extremely inventive swearing for a while to no avail but now I just red button them. Wish they’d stop though. Any ideas?
    • Reaper
    • By Reaper 24th Jun 18, 11:30 AM
    • 6,280 Posts
    • 4,529 Thanks
    Reaper
    There's not a lot you can do. If they are calling from abroad or withholding the number you might be able to block all those types of calls depending on your provider.

If they are calling you on your mobile try the Truecaller app (details at www.truecaller.com) to block known spam numbers.

Be aware they will likely pass your number on to other spam/scam companies too be be on your guard for cold calls about other "unmissable" investments from companies you have never heard of before.
    • Gonz03
    • By Gonz03 24th Jun 18, 12:28 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Gonz03
    Thanks for the advice. I won’t get conned I hope. Only looked into it because of the ad with Martin on it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

240Posts Today

2,769Users online

Martin's Twitter