Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
Page 273
    • marsman802
    • By marsman802 8th Nov 17, 5:41 PM
    • 555 Posts
    • 243 Thanks
    marsman802
    Not so much a retention deal because it is offered to new customers but they did offer me 19 Red Entertainment with 16GB for 12mnths.
    Now given I pay for Spotify already that effectively makes the deal 9 for 16GB.

I thought that was great however I've decided to go to PAYG for a couple of days and then go back to Vodafone via Mobiles.co.uk who are offering the above but with 78 cashback.

So my shiny new iPhone X (which I bought via the British Airways estore and clicked through to John Lewis to net 3,996 Avios and an additional years warranty for free) is on a contract for 12 months that is effectively only costing me 2.51 per month. No idea if I'll get close to that in 12 months time but if I can my iPhone X is costing me the equivalent of 44 a month.

The guy on the phone did say he was only allowed to discount Entertainment packs by 30% at most and the 19 is well over that - never know if he!!!8217;s being entirely honest of course

P.S. as an aside you can balance transfer the above cost of the phone to one of the balance transfer cashback cards saving another 15 (check MSE balance transfer offers - Lloyds!) which is what I have done.
    Last edited by marsman802; 08-11-2017 at 5:51 PM.
    • Sarah2018
    • By Sarah2018 26th Nov 17, 1:42 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Sarah2018
    After selecting 'I'm thinking of leaving' and waiting 50 mins on hold I'm now pretty sure I'm definitely wanting to leave! Been a customer for 10 years now and really don't like having to go down this retentions route every year in order to get a good deal.

Currently on 40% discount - 11.15 4GB & unlimited calls and texts, but will go back up to 18 next month. Said I wanted my bill to be less than currently paying but ideally more data and was offered:

5GB of data
    500 minutes & unlimited text
    Free to use in 50 free destinations

I said I'd found a better deal online (it's Black Friday weekend) with Three for more data: 13 8GB 600 mins, unlimited & 1 month contract and asked what they could do around the 8GB mark. They said they could discount 18 8GB package with unlimited calls and texts to 14. I said that was still too high. Asked about whether they could include the entertainment package (Spotify etc) - said the cheapest they could offer for that is 16....

I thought I'd been put through to retentions team but have a feeling it wasn't as he wasn't offering anything else, free months etc. Perhaps I should have ummed and ahhed a bit more, but just want to sort this out and not waste time. So I asked for my PAC code - they said if i wait until closer to Xmas before using it there may be some better deals they can offer...so not keen to keep me after almost 10 years.

I've found an offer with Three (via Bill Monitor website) for:
    12GB data with world wide roaming
    Unlimited calls and texts

Don't think there coverage is as good in the UK but OK for where I live. Hope everyone else has more luck!
    • imavillan
    • By imavillan 11th Dec 17, 5:37 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    imavillan
    After selecting 'I'm thinking of leaving' and waiting 50 mins on hold I'm now pretty sure I'm definitely wanting to leave! Been a customer for 10 years now and really don't like having to go down this retentions route every year in order to get a good deal.

Currently on 40% discount - 11.15 4GB & unlimited calls and texts, but will go back up to 18 next month. Said I wanted my bill to be less than currently paying but ideally more data and was offered:

5GB of data

I said I'd found a better deal online (it's Black Friday weekend) with Three for more data: 13 8GB 600 mins, unlimited & 1 month contract and asked what they could do around the 8GB mark. They said they could discount 18 8GB package with unlimited calls and texts to 14. I said that was still too high. Asked about whether they could include the entertainment package (Spotify etc) - said the cheapest they could offer for that is 16....

I thought I'd been put through to retentions team but have a feeling it wasn't as he wasn't offering anything else, free months etc. Perhaps I should have ummed and ahhed a bit more, but just want to sort this out and not waste time. So I asked for my PAC code - they said if i wait until closer to Xmas before using it there may be some better deals they can offer...so not keen to keep me after almost 10 years.

I've found an offer with Three (via Bill Monitor website) for:
    12GB data with world wide roaming
    Unlimited calls and texts

Don't think there coverage is as good in the UK but OK for where I live. Hope everyone else has more luck!
    Originally posted by Sarah2018

Have you moved over to Three or did Voda get back to you?

I have a similar story in that i have been offered exactly the same sim only deal and i have been with them for well over 10 years and have two lines with them.
    5GB of data

I quote the current deal on uswtich with Plusnet of
    2.5GB of data
    3000 minutes & unlimited text

Said the 10.80 deal was the best they could do so i have asked for my PAC code. Hopefully i will get a call from them in the next couple of days.
    • imavillan
    • By imavillan 11th Dec 17, 9:22 PM
    • 26 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    imavillan
    Have you moved over to Three or did Voda get back to you?

I have a similar story in that i have been offered exactly the same sim only deal and i have been with them for well over 10 years and have two lines with them.
    5GB of data

I quote the current deal on uswtich with Plusnet of
    2.5GB of data
    3000 minutes & unlimited text

Said the 10.80 deal was the best they could do so i have asked for my PAC code. Hopefully i will get a call from them in the next couple of days.
    Originally posted by imavillan

Update:

Ive had a call off Voda already, barely 2 hours after my initial call asking for my PAC code. They've come back and said the best they can do is;
    5GB of data
    Free for 4 months then 8 months at 10.80. That works out at 7.20 per month.

An alternative offer is 2GB of data
    unlimited minutes & unlimited text
    Free for 4 months then 8 months at 9.25. That works out at 6.16 per month.

I've told them i'll think about it over night. They are going to call me back tomorrow. Both seem good a good deal to me, but just means i'll have to go through the same effort in 12 months time.

But hey, at least some progress has been made.
    • cybervic
    • By cybervic 2nd Jan 18, 11:01 AM
    • 382 Posts
    • 524 Thanks
    cybervic
    I contacted vodafone via live chat, told CS about virgin deals (9, 5GB, 1500min/unlimited txt) and 3 network (10, 4GB, unlimited min/txt). Live-chat CS could not match the price so I ask for PAC code. I was ready to leave and could not be bother to play the waiting game with them. I was then transferred to another dept who is supposed to give me Pac code but instead, I was offered the following:

- unlimited minutes
    - unlimited text
    - 6GB of data (should be 4GB)
    - Take your home plan abroad
    This should be 22.00 a month, offered 13.20 (40% discount) and a goodwill credit of 39.60. it works out at 9.90 a month over the 12 months

I then asked for a package includes entertainment package and they gave me:
    - unlimited minutes
    - unlimited text
    - 8GB of data
    - Take your home plan abroad
    - 12 months free entertainment pack (sky sports. spotify or now TV)

This should be 28.00 a month, got offered 16.80 (40% discount) plus 50.40 goodwill credit so works out 12.60 per month over 12 month.

I took up the second offer.
    • johnwb89
    • By johnwb89 4th Jan 18, 3:53 PM
    • 29 Posts
    • 18 Thanks
    johnwb89
    I advise people to get a PAK code from Vodafone so they really think you're leaving (you'll have to fight through various retention deals to get to this point).

Once you have it, you'll get phoned up by what I can only assume is the ultimate retention team & they have a lot more flexibility.

Though the deal i've just got isn't as good as last year, I managed to get the following;

8GB Data
    Unlimited Calls
    Unlimited Texts
    Spotify for a year

5 Months FREE then 16.80 after.

Effectively makes it 9.80 a month for 12 months.

NOT BAD!
    • astra46
    • By astra46 7th Jan 18, 6:19 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    astra46
    I signed up to a deal on 11/12 with mobiles.co.uk, 16gb data, unlimited texts and calls, 12 month sim only.

Seen a better offer over Xmas, 20gb data, unlimited data and texts 12 a month with mobiles.co uk, got my PAC code from Vodafone, then their retention team rang me a few days later offered me 20gb data, unlimited calls and text for 16 a month, so i thought it was easlier to do this than transfer my number to another network then back to Vodafone.

I eventually got my contract sorted, after getting in touch with complaints and 1hr 20 on the phone, as they didnt process the offer after me speaking to 2 different people over a few days, and promises of a call back once it has been processed.

I am very impressed with the coverage with Vodafone. Much better than i had with 3, who i had been with for a few years.

Such a shame their Customer Service is terrible.
    • Norman-B
    • By Norman-B 9th Jan 18, 2:44 PM
    • 1,582 Posts
    • 279 Thanks
    Norman-B
    Just off the line to CS about my contract, due to expire March 3rd. I was offered,
    5GB of data
    10.80 with first 3 months free.

At present, I'm paying 8.75 (after 50% discount) for 500 mins, UL Text and 7 GB Data. As I rarely use more than 1GB of data, I'm happy with the package. Just wonder if it is worth the hassle to move to Plusnet for the sake of 1 per month saving.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 9th Jan 18, 3:40 PM
    • 547 Posts
    • 328 Thanks
    Mister G
    You should probably look to see if Plusnet, who run on the EE network, offer equivalent/acceptable coverage to Vodafone.
    • Hurley
    • By Hurley 11th Jan 18, 2:03 PM
    • 1,429 Posts
    • 435 Thanks
    Hurley
    I got offered unlimited texts and calls, 8gb data for 13.60 a month with the first four months free, bringing the equivalent cost to 9.07 a month.

I took it.
    • Norman-B
    • By Norman-B 24th Jan 18, 2:23 PM
    • 1,582 Posts
    • 279 Thanks
    Norman-B
    I've just renewed my contract with Voda. It took 4 phone calls but lovely Joyce (in South Yorkshire) offered me 500 mins, 5GB and UL Texts for 10.80 PM, with 4 months Credit to my account.

Thanks Joyce.
    • alisont
    • By alisont 12th Mar 18, 9:11 PM
    • 1,607 Posts
    • 2,232 Thanks
    alisont
    My contracts due up soon so just rang 191 and got the call centre who were unable to get through to the loyalty team so are ringing me back tomorrow.

That gives me time to check other providers, currently trying out. 16.20 for unlimited texts and minutes a day 8gb data plus free Spotify.

I never go over 5gb data but do like Spotify.

He told me about the 25gb deal for 25 which I'd get for 20, not one I'd be after. I'll see what's offered tomorrow but will probably ask for PAC code if no good and then hope retentions ring me with a better deal.

I get fairly good coverage with Vodafone and have never had problems with them and been with them since 2012 but could move elsewhere if needed.

Got an iPhone 6 not on a contract apart from a 12 month SIM and do not need a new phone.

Wonder what I'll get offered.
    Sealed Pot Challenge number 8 Amount declared 365.50.

Sealed pot challenge number 9 number 482
    • techno12
    • By techno12 13th Mar 18, 8:55 AM
    • 619 Posts
    • 252 Thanks
    techno12
    I'm on live chat with retentions now. Asked to be transferred as the upgrade person I chatted to could only offer my current deal at a 30% price hike to 13.50

I'm on 5GB, 500 mins unlimited txts (was 10.40 but it's gone back up to 17+ a month).

As prices have fallen this past year across the board (or more data included for similar) I'm expecting much better...

...10GB, 500 mins unlimited txts 11.30 plus 2 months 'free'. I'm late for work so I've taken it. Could probably have held out for more

PS Initial offer from retentions was the same 5GB deal for 11.30. As soon as I quoted 3's deal (8GB for 12) they added on 5GB of data immediately. Worth having other offers to hand
    Last edited by techno12; 13-03-2018 at 8:58 AM.
    • alisont
    • By alisont 13th Mar 18, 6:02 PM
    • 1,607 Posts
    • 2,232 Thanks
    alisont
    Not the best start, got put through to retentions who offered at first same deal I'm on now as in 8gb, unlimited minutes and texts plus entertainment pass for 20.30 I'm paying 16.20 now!

So second offer without Spotify 500 minutes, unlimited texts 5gb data normally 18.50 now 11.10.

I do use Spotify so think I'll hang on and if I don't get a call tomorrow I'll ring for my PAC code then play the waiting game.

2 years ago I was paying 8.50 for 5gb data (no Spotify) where have the old deals gone!

• alisont
    • By alisont 18th Mar 18, 7:15 PM
    • 1,607 Posts
    • 2,232 Thanks
    alisont
    Well several days on and no call from retentions - had expected a better deal by now. I'll have to ring them to ask for a better deal or for my PAC code I guess.

The deals offered didn't seem good to me but not sure about who to switch to as the Vodafone signal is good here.

Hate all these calls trying to barter so might try live chat but don't think they are the best for deals.

• cybervic
    • By cybervic 18th Mar 18, 10:25 PM
    • 382 Posts
    • 524 Thanks
    cybervic
    Well several days on and no call from retentions - had expected a better deal by now. I'll have to ring them to ask for a better deal or for my PAC code I guess.
    Originally posted by alisont
    You will only receive a call from retention team after pac code is requested. Sometimes a pac code is issued straight away when you are speaking to CS, but retention team will call few days afterwards (mine called 6 days after.)
    Live chat deal isn't too bad if you already have other networks' best price in hand to negotiate with them but Retention Team offer is the best.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,840Posts Today

6,580Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin