Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrea
    • By MSE Andrea 13th Feb 17, 12:10 PM
    • 9,052Posts
    • 21,859Thanks
    MSE Andrea
    Make money from recycling
    • 13th Feb 17, 12:10 PM
    Make money from recycling 13th Feb 17 at 12:10 PM
    Hi everyone!

Our former MSE staff Rebecca Rutt wrote this Daily Mail article on How to Make Money from your Recycling.

Has anyone made cash from their old jam jars, corks etc? How much have you made? Do you use eBay, Facebook Marketplace or Gumtree?
    Could you do with a Money Makeover?

Follow MSE on other Social Media:
    MSE Facebook, MSE Twitter, MSE Deals Facebook, MSE Deals Twitter, Forum Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest
    Join the MSE Forum
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
    Report inappropriate posts: click the report button
    Point out a rate/product change
    Flag a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
Page 1
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Feb 17, 1:00 PM
    • 62,787 Posts
    • 367,923 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    • 13th Feb 17, 1:00 PM
    • 13th Feb 17, 1:00 PM
    I don't have these things in the first instance.

If you are a wanton consumer, you'll have lots of recycling.

There's no money in my empty frozen chips bag.

She does also say in the article "if you've space to store them" - so it's for people with larger houses. It might make more sense to downsize the house than the use an entire room to store old jars and bog rolls.

Looking at the example list/chart printed in the article - those items are not in my life to start with:

60 Toilet roll tubes - this would take 6 months to collect.
    35 Kitchen roll tubes - 3 years
    60 Jam jars - 30 years
    100 Green milk bottle lids - forever, any colour would work out at 25 years
    25 Wine bottle corks - forever, I don't have wine
    200 Can ring pulls - 2-3 years
    100 Champagne and Prosecco corks - forever, I don't have champagne/prosecco
    19 Glass dessert ramekins dishes - I don't even know what these are, to be honest
    50 Old silver clothes hangers - not seen these for 20+ years
    10 Coffee tins - no idea what these even are

In short, this article is "a bit of fluff" and realistically not of any use to anybody's real life. All it does is gets her blog some free publicity ... presumably she mixes socially with somebody who works at the DM.
    Last edited by PasturesNew; 13-02-2017 at 1:03 PM.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 13th Feb 17, 1:06 PM
    • 25,714 Posts
    • 54,574 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    • 13th Feb 17, 1:06 PM
    • 13th Feb 17, 1:06 PM
    Interesting idea as I don't like to throw money away...but I have even less of a desire to collect this junk in the hope of making a few pounds here and there. I'd rather just get rid of anything that accumulates and makes the place look untidy.

The LO has hours of fun with empty kitchen roll tubes, though
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • kittie
    • By kittie 13th Feb 17, 1:08 PM
    • 12,166 Posts
    • 76,321 Thanks
    kittie
    • 13th Feb 17, 1:08 PM
    • 13th Feb 17, 1:08 PM
    a nonesense pointless article, encouraging more people to hoard rubbish. Me, well I prefer to give my unused items away, to people in need. Life is not all about greed and money
    • LameWolf
    • By LameWolf 13th Feb 17, 1:11 PM
    • 10,577 Posts
    • 115,841 Thanks
    LameWolf
    • 13th Feb 17, 1:11 PM
    • 13th Feb 17, 1:11 PM
    Many years ago, I managed to acquire, over a period of a good many months, enough scrap copper - mainly from old electrical wire innards - to be worth selling, but that's the only time I've made actual cash from recycling.

I'll use the list PN posted and give my take on those items, just for comparison.

60 Toilet roll tubes - probably take about three or four months, and tbh, I chuck 'em in the pink sack.
    35 Kitchen roll tubes - 10 years or more
    60 Jam jars - I keep what few empties I get and reuse. To amass an extra 60 would take about 20 years minimum, as I reuse what I have for HM jam and marmalade. The only time I get a new-to-me jar is when I get honey.
    100 Green milk bottle lids - Do you mean plastic lids? If so this would take a year roughly.
    25 Wine bottle corks - forever, we tend to buy wine with screw tops
    100 Champagne and Prosecco corks - Roughly 10 years
    19 Glass dessert ramekins dishes - Forever - I don't buy desserts, I make my own.
    50 Old silver clothes hangers - Don't get these, ever.
    10 Coffee tins - Don't get these; I have a couple indoors that were given to me as storage tins, I keep some of my candle-making stuff in them.
    LameWolf
    If your dog thinks you're the best, don't seek a second opinion.
    • Ilona
    • By Ilona 13th Feb 17, 1:39 PM
    • 2,083 Posts
    • 7,145 Thanks
    Ilona
    • 13th Feb 17, 1:39 PM
    • 13th Feb 17, 1:39 PM
    I sometimes use my own rubbish for crafting, like make a shopping bag with cat food pouches, or cut out flower embellishments from aluminium drinks cans, but I wouldn't buy other people's rubbish. Nor would I hoard my rubbish with the view to selling it, that's just plain daft.

Ilona
    I love skip diving
    • culpepper
    • By culpepper 13th Feb 17, 2:14 PM
    • 3,911 Posts
    • 7,284 Thanks
    culpepper
    • 13th Feb 17, 2:14 PM
    • 13th Feb 17, 2:14 PM
    Toilet roll tubes we make them into fire lighters for camping
    Kitchen roll tubes as above
    Jam jars use for making jam/pickles etc
    Green milk bottle lids Milk bottles???
    Wine bottle corks dont drink plonk
    Can ring pulls very rare to have drink in cans
    Champagne and Prosecco corks dont drink champers
    Glass dessert ramekins dishes good grief !
    Old silver clothes hangers who has these?
    Coffee tins we have about 3 of these a year and they become storage

I remember looking at how many pop tins it would need to be worth litter picking them (I see lots every time I go out) and it was so many it wasn't worth it.

I can see what the article writer means but really they would have to look at it as an obsession to collect enough of these things to be worth it. Remember when the scouts used to collect such things?
    Tin foil, bottle tops, old newspapers and presumably they could still do that if their scout leaders could be bothered to do the ebaying part but of course that was a joint effort for collecting and why it was worth it to them in the first place.
    • ariarnia
    • By ariarnia 13th Feb 17, 3:07 PM
    • 1,626 Posts
    • 4,732 Thanks
    ariarnia
    • 13th Feb 17, 3:07 PM
    • 13th Feb 17, 3:07 PM
    I recycle to save money - does that count?
    Almost everything will work again if you unplug it for a few minutes, including you. Anne Lamott

It's amazing how those with a can-do attitude and willingness to 'pitch in and work' get all the luck, isn't it?
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 13th Feb 17, 3:23 PM
    • 15,972 Posts
    • 135,536 Thanks
    JackieO
    • 13th Feb 17, 3:23 PM
    • 13th Feb 17, 3:23 PM
    I too would find it difficult to store all the rubbish,even if I had a garage (which I no longer have) plus the inclination (also missing )
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Running total for four months food only shopping =£126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals £31.11 June spends so far £18.90, brought a few odds and ends home from my holiday and using those up first.
    • Farway
    • By Farway 13th Feb 17, 3:28 PM
    • 6,228 Posts
    • 9,939 Thanks
    Farway
    I read the article, and the DM readers letters, and it all falls into "clickbait" IMO

Probably worth recycling the article on the 1st April
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 13th Feb 17, 3:36 PM
    • 11,101 Posts
    • 29,657 Thanks
    suki1964
    Good grief, why would you want to store rubbish?

I've a huge house and I still wouldn't want to fill it with rubbish

Toilet roll /kitchen roll tubes are firefighters or treat dispensers for the cat

Jam jars. I always have one under the sink to tip used cooking oil/fat into. We have a septic tank, only biogradable waste gets put down the drains

Wine bottle corks - we buy wine by the box

Ring pulls, well yes we could save those but we leave them on the can and crush the cans

Glass ramekins, we don't buy shop bought desserts

Champagne corks? If we lived a champagne lifestyle I wouldn't be worrying about making a few pennies flogging used corks

Silver coat hangers from dry cleaners? Hand wash cycle on the machine works for me

Coffee tins, bought a new tin today. Last one sat in the cupboard had BB 2015 and the coffee had gone rock hard lol
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • PasturesNew
    • By PasturesNew 13th Feb 17, 4:20 PM
    • 62,787 Posts
    • 367,923 Thanks
    PasturesNew
    I read the article, and the DM readers letters, and it all falls into "clickbait" IMO

Probably worth recycling the article on the 1st April
    Originally posted by Farway
    Yep. Read the OP and it states "Our former MSE staff Rebecca Rutt wrote this Daily Mail article", indicating to us that "oooh it's somebody like us". Only it's not. That statement's clickbait in itself.

She's actually an actual journalist; did a degree in journy-stuff... been a journalist, is a journalist, works as a journalist.

So, clickbait through and through.
    • VfM4meplse
    • By VfM4meplse 13th Feb 17, 4:58 PM
    • 25,714 Posts
    • 54,574 Thanks
    VfM4meplse
    Actually I do have some glass ramekins - I bought some RTC desserts years ago when Gü was new to the market, gave the desserts away and asked for the ramekins back. They are just the right size for snacks served with drinks .

There's no way in tarnation they're going to be recycled, far too useful!
    Value-for-money-for-me-puhleeze!

"No man is worth, crawling on the earth"- adapted from Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio

Hope is not a strategy ...A child is for life, not just 18 years....Don't get me started on the NHS, because you won't win...If in doubt, don't pull out... I love chaz-ing!
    • Hermia
    • By Hermia 13th Feb 17, 5:12 PM
    • 4,138 Posts
    • 11,254 Thanks
    Hermia
    Actually I do have some glass ramekins - I bought some RTC desserts years ago when Gü was new to the market, gave the desserts away and asked for the ramekins back. They are just the right size for snacks served with drinks .

There's no way in tarnation they're going to be recycled, far too useful!
    Originally posted by VfM4meplse
    I have some Gü ones too. I use them when cooking to as I like to measure my ingredients out first and they are great for that.

The Tesco near me used to have a recycling machine where you got points for each item you put in. It was great for a while, but they cut the points value as people were apparently cutting up their recycling so they could get multiple points for each item.

I find with so many of these types of these articles that the people who would make decent money are the ones who spent out a lot to be able to do that! I just don't buy enough wine bottles or fancy desserts to make this worthwhile. It's like when there was a spate of 'I made ££££££ from cashback sites' articles cropping up in the tabloids a while back. When you realised how much these people were spending to make that much cashback you kinda wondered whether they could have saved more money not buying all that stuff in the first place!
    • THIRZAH
    • By THIRZAH 13th Feb 17, 9:34 PM
    • 1,361 Posts
    • 6,771 Thanks
    THIRZAH
    I took some glass ramekins down to the church hall. We use them as sugar basins if we have a tea or coffee morning and want to put sugar on each table. Also we put night lights in them for evening events.
    • JIL
    • By JIL 13th Feb 17, 10:47 PM
    • 3,024 Posts
    • 20,139 Thanks
    JIL
    Around the corner someone has dumped a bin bag full of clothes and bedding, it has been there a week. Perhaps I could load it up in my car and pop to cash for clothes for 92p or thereabouts.
    However, tomorrow is bin collection day, so tonight I walked the dog, picked up the bin liner full of clothes and popped it in a bin awaiting collection.
    Tidy street, no money made but the satisfaction of not seeing it as I drive to work will be my reward.
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 14th Feb 17, 8:14 AM
    • 15,972 Posts
    • 135,536 Thanks
    JackieO
    Can't remember a time I ever had many champagne corks I have two indoors in the drawer both of which have a silver coin tucked into them They were from my DDs Christenings, one in 1968 and one in 1970 I can remember my late OH cutting through the top and putting a half a crown in there wedged tightly and him saying The baby will always have a bit of silver for luck and never be penniless Today those half a crowns are worth more to me as a keepsake just for the memory it invokes
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Running total for four months food only shopping =£126.24.Freezer stuff slowly going down at last May totals £31.11 June spends so far £18.90, brought a few odds and ends home from my holiday and using those up first.
    • Dclutterchique
    • By Dclutterchique 19th Feb 17, 4:20 PM
    • 112 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    Dclutterchique
    I agree with everybody else that it would take up too much time and storage space to make it worthwhile for most people to do on their own. However, it could be possible, in some cases, for groups of people or organisations to make this idea work

When I was a member of the local Play Group (in the early '70's) the parents/volunteers got together and arranged a group collection of their old newspapers and when they had a large enough quantity they took it to a paper recycling plant and sold it to raise funds. As individual households it would have taken forever, but as a group it didn't take nearly as long. Unfortunately, they were only able to collect two batches (each equivalent to a lock-up garage full) as after that everyone got on the recycling band wagon and the price of scrap paper bottomed out and it wasn't worth the cost of the fuel. So, you need perfect timing (either through luck or skill) to hit the market highs, or access to a recyclable commodity that holds a fairly consistent price over time.
    • Caterina
    • By Caterina 19th Feb 17, 5:31 PM
    • 5,753 Posts
    • 39,774 Thanks
    Caterina
    I have two glass ramekins from Marks puddings that I bought to share with DH when he was only a casual boyfriend, in 1987. I have other ramekins as well, accumulated over the years, mainly from charity shops, but those two are still around somewhere in the cupboard. Ramekins are very useful as non-plastic containers for small amounts of leftover food, sliced lemon, tea strainers, I love the little blighters!
    Finally I'm an OAP and can travel free (in London at least!).
    • Serendipitious
    • By Serendipitious 19th Feb 17, 7:26 PM
    • 5,445 Posts
    • 65,179 Thanks
    Serendipitious
    I can sort of see the point regarding jam jars - Lakeland sell them new and charge rather a lot.

http://www.lakeland.co.uk/in-the-kitchen/preserving-and-make-your-own/preserving-and-pickling/jars-and-bottles/

But as for the other things on the list, there's no point in accumulating junk for the sake of a few pennies.

A local charity used to collect the plastic tops from milk containers and many people supported that - one lady I knew had all her friends collecting them too and used to donate carrier bags full of them. But it all stopped because the recycling place that paid for them put up the minimum weight to something ridiculous which made it non-viable.
    “All shall be well, and all shall be well and all manner of thing shall be well.”

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,134Posts Today

8,140Users online

Martin's Twitter