Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Amy240277
    • By Amy240277 12th Feb 17, 7:28 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 23Thanks
    Amy240277
    0 WOW
    Travelling alone
    • 12th Feb 17, 7:28 PM
    0 WOW
    Travelling alone 12th Feb 17 at 7:28 PM
    I have just split up from my husband, and we were due to go to New York in December. I've decided I want to go but by myself.

I was just wondering has anyone travelled abroad alone?

Thanks
Page 1
    • Voyager2002
    • By Voyager2002 12th Feb 17, 7:56 PM
    • 13,302 Posts
    • 9,165 Thanks
    Voyager2002
    • 12th Feb 17, 7:56 PM
    • 12th Feb 17, 7:56 PM
    Yes: loads of people.

I found it very easy to meet people in New York.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 12th Feb 17, 7:57 PM
    • 22,820 Posts
    • 18,840 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 12th Feb 17, 7:57 PM
    • 12th Feb 17, 7:57 PM
    Millions of people have (I'm one), and at least some of them have started previous threads about it, so a search of the board will probably find some of those threads.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 12th Feb 17, 8:00 PM
    • 14,459 Posts
    • 12,792 Thanks
    zagfles
    • 12th Feb 17, 8:00 PM
    • 12th Feb 17, 8:00 PM
    Yes, loads. Solo travel is a lot more common than people think. I have a wife and family but I still like going on solo trips, as well as family holidays.

Been discussed here a lot, have a search and come back with any specific questions. Also worth reading the tripadvisor/lonely planet forums. Loads of solo travellers there.
    • converted
    • By converted 13th Feb 17, 6:35 AM
    • 149 Posts
    • 114 Thanks
    converted
    • 13th Feb 17, 6:35 AM
    • 13th Feb 17, 6:35 AM
    i was in the same position a number of years ago and went ahead on my own and loved it. Since then I prefer going on holiday myself and very rarely even consider going anywhere with anyone else. I went to New York alone last year and it was a very easy place to do alone.

Go for it and don't worry you will have a blast
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 13th Feb 17, 10:11 AM
    • 6,252 Posts
    • 5,708 Thanks
    mgdavid
    • 13th Feb 17, 10:11 AM
    • 13th Feb 17, 10:11 AM
    OP, (Amy240277)

happy birthday for next week
    They do still say life begins at 40
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
    • dawyldthing
    • By dawyldthing 13th Feb 17, 6:46 PM
    • 3,379 Posts
    • 3,334 Thanks
    dawyldthing
    • 13th Feb 17, 6:46 PM
    • 13th Feb 17, 6:46 PM
    I went to Oz and New Zealand on my own and spent 3 weeks on my own in Thailand. It's great - no debating where to go, bickering over where yo eat, what to do. I love it and would do it again. You'll always bump into people to talk to along the way
    to the lil one
    • Sleazy
    • By Sleazy 13th Feb 17, 6:51 PM
    • 18,079 Posts
    • 38,713 Thanks
    Sleazy
    • 13th Feb 17, 6:51 PM
    • 13th Feb 17, 6:51 PM
    OP, (Amy240277)

happy birthday for next week
    They do still say life begins at 40
    Originally posted by mgdavid
    240277 could have been a phone number
    I'm more inclined to go with your assumption however ....
    Weekly Distance Walked 30km / Total For Year 1046 km
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 14th Feb 17, 4:19 AM
    • 4,890 Posts
    • 2,988 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 14th Feb 17, 4:19 AM
    • 14th Feb 17, 4:19 AM
    I've always tended to avoid traveling with other people...
    • Blue264
    • By Blue264 15th Feb 17, 10:28 AM
    • 1,554 Posts
    • 926 Thanks
    Blue264
    I have just split up from my husband, and we were due to go to New York in December. I've decided I want to go but by myself.

I was just wondering has anyone travelled abroad alone?

Thanks
    Originally posted by Amy240277
    Have you ever watched 'Eat, Pray, Love'?
    There is a joy to travelling as a solo woman, unshackled from other people's needs. I would strongly recommend Barcelona and Italy, but also had a wonderful time wandering around Hong Kong Island when I was single.
    Luckily, my partner now, enjoys travel as much as I do, instead of making it sometimes tortuous as my ex did.

If you fancy travelling in a small group, check out these people... http://www.intrepidgroup.travel/
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 15th Feb 17, 11:47 AM
    • 6,629 Posts
    • 31,457 Thanks
    bugslet
    I don't mind spending time on my own abroad, but I hate eating an evening meal on my own. That's the one thing that holds me back.
    • katejo
    • By katejo 15th Feb 17, 1:52 PM
    • 3,173 Posts
    • 1,242 Thanks
    katejo
    I do my solo trips in the summer as it is easier to eat alone at an outside caf! than inside a restaurant.
    • zagfles
    • By zagfles 15th Feb 17, 4:46 PM
    • 14,459 Posts
    • 12,792 Thanks
    zagfles
    I don't mind spending time on my own abroad, but I hate eating an evening meal on my own. That's the one thing that holds me back.
    Originally posted by bugslet
    Lots of solutions to this one.

Have your main meal at lunchtime, lots of people eat alone at lunchtime in cafes/bars. Grab a snack in the evening

Don't dine "alone", find a pub/restaurant with wifi and Skype your friend/relative/spouse/mum

Stay somewhere with self catering eg a hostel and cook your own meal. You'll likely to find others doing the same who you can have a chat with while cooking/eating.

Though I've never found eating alone in restaurants a problem - I've done it enough while travelling on buisiness. You won't be gawped at or have people people sorry for or thinking you're billy no mates, really. No-one will care, if that's what you're worried about. Take a book or newspaper to read, or listen to music on your phone.

But when travelling alone I don't usually go to resturants, tend to have sandwiches, fruit and on-the-go type food rather than sitting down for a meal most days.
    Last edited by zagfles; 15-02-2017 at 4:51 PM.
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 15th Feb 17, 8:08 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,406 Thanks
    AubreyMac
    Originally posted by bugslet
    I'm planning my first solo trip and this is something I've been thinking of.

Lunch time is usually fine but the evening meal I think could be a bit daunting. Especially in busy restaurants.
    • AubreyMac
    • By AubreyMac 15th Feb 17, 8:10 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,406 Thanks
    AubreyMac
    Lots of solutions to this one.

Have your main meal at lunchtime, lots of people eat alone at lunchtime in cafes/bars. Grab a snack in the evening

Don't dine "alone", find a pub/restaurant with wifi and Skype your friend/relative/spouse/mum

Stay somewhere with self catering eg a hostel and cook your own meal. You'll likely to find others doing the same who you can have a chat with while cooking/eating.

Though I've never found eating alone in restaurants a problem - I've done it enough while travelling on buisiness. You won't be gawped at or have people people sorry for or thinking you're billy no mates, really. No-one will care, if that's what you're worried about. Take a book or newspaper to read, or listen to music on your phone.

But when travelling alone I don't usually go to resturants, tend to have sandwiches, fruit and on-the-go type food rather than sitting down for a meal most days.
    Originally posted by zagfles
    Lots of good tips here.

As for skyping friends, that will depend on time zone. Doubt many of my family or friends will be happy being at being called to keep me company for a meal at 4am
    • Doshwaster
    • By Doshwaster 15th Feb 17, 8:21 PM
    • 5,261 Posts
    • 4,325 Thanks
    Doshwaster

Lunch time is usually fine but the evening meal I think could be a bit daunting. Especially in busy restaurants.
    Originally posted by AubreyMac
    Eating alone has never bothered me. I'm hungry and I want to eat so why should I care what other people think?

Maybe the sort of high end "romantic" restaurant where you might go with a partner would be a bit odd but there are always loads of pubs, cafes where you get a lot of solo diners. My top tip is to sit at the bar rather than a table as you always get talking to the staff or other punters.
    • usernameisvalid
    • By usernameisvalid 15th Feb 17, 10:19 PM
    • 283 Posts
    • 736 Thanks
    usernameisvalid
    When DH worked away from home for years I got used to eating out alone

Didn't cost me a thought to walk into a busy resturaunt and ask for a table

It was easier to eat out then to cook myself a meal and sit at home alone

My iPhone was great company if I got a rubbish table. Mostly though I'd end up chatting to those at the next table or just people watched through the window.

I've never travelled abroad alone but I 'sight saw' this country alone when we moved here. I like chatting to strangers and I'm happy with my own company so for me it's relatively easy

If I'm unsure of an area, a meal in a shopping mall suffices
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 15th Feb 17, 10:48 PM
    • 15,981 Posts
    • 22,352 Thanks
    Gloomendoom

Originally posted by AubreyMac
    I used to travel alone on business and I always found a newspaper eased the ordeal of eating dinner alone. You do get used to it though.
    Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience. - Mark Twain
    • bugslet
    • By bugslet 16th Feb 17, 8:08 AM
    • 6,629 Posts
    • 31,457 Thanks
    bugslet
    Eating alone has never bothered me. I'm hungry and I want to eat so why should I care what other people think?

Maybe the sort of high end "romantic" restaurant where you might go with a partner would be a bit odd but there are always loads of pubs, cafes where you get a lot of solo diners. My top tip is to sit at the bar rather than a table as you always get talking to the staff or other punters.
    Originally posted by Doshwaster
    I eat at night in restaurants on my own when I'm away for business, doesn't bother me in the slightest, but by then I'm probably in the mood for a bit of decompression on my own. Occasionally I'll pop out at home on my own and eat out if I CBA to make something myself.

Going away though, I think it's missing someone to talk over the day with. I like the idea of eating at the bar though - good idea!

And zagfles idea, I like the idea of a main meal at lunchtime - I prefer a bigger meal then anyway.

Thanks to all for the thoughts.
    • heatherw_01
    • By heatherw_01 16th Feb 17, 10:43 AM
    • 5,498 Posts
    • 3,929 Thanks
    heatherw_01
    I travel alone most of the time and love it. Been to New York alone 4 times too
    I'm the Board Guide on Quick Grabbit, Freebies, Overseas Holidays & Travel Planning and the UK Holidays, Days Out & Entertainments boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,113Posts Today

7,921Users online

Martin's Twitter