Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 12th Feb 17, 9:56 AM
    • 1,585Posts
    • 15,404Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....
    • 12th Feb 17, 9:56 AM
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed.... 12th Feb 17 at 9:56 AM
    £67,031.92. Seriously. £67,031.92. That is a SCARY number. I can't believe our debt has peaked (and it is the peak, I am determined) at this level.

Our light bulb moment actually happened a few months back, but it's taken since then of wrangling utilities and carefully watching out income/outgoings (using You Need a Budget) to really figure out where we were overspending and how the monthly shortfall of anything from £200-£1,000+ was happening.

We have literally nothing to show for this debt, it's just crept up over the past 8 years or so, and has always been at manageable levels, but back in October we realised we were spending more on credit cards each month than we were paying off.

We committed that cardinal sin of taking out a consolidation loan, but alongside it we looked really carefully at our spending over the next couple of months, budgeted realistically for what we spend and have (I think) picked off all the easy 'low hanging fruit' of budget cuts and really identified why we were overspending.

The main reason for the debt is, erm, me. Not that I'm the biggest spender (neither of us are amazing), but because I am self employed with a hugely variable income and basically worked out our budgets on the basis I would always earn my 'best' month's income. Which was, with hindsight, maybe a TINY bit deluded.

The aim of this diary is to keep us on track with actually reducing our debt every single month, not doing it in a three steps forward, two (or four) steps back sort of way. Having sat down and put our numbers into the whatsthecost site, it appears that we are looking at 7 years and 1 month of repayments to clear the debt (and that's assuming we can get rid of the shortfall showing below). I REALLY want to reduce this term as that just seems bonkers.

SOA below, with a couple of explanatory notes.

Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 2
    Number of children in household......... 3
    Number of cars owned.................... 1

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 250 (variable, but this is the minimum I have earned in any month in the last 5 years)
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 2711.86
    Benefits................................ 192
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income.................... 3153.86

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 698
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 174 (including overpayment for a period when we messed up during a house move 18 months ago and didn't restart the direct debit for the new property. Will drop by a little under £50 after either March or April, can't remember which)
    Electricity............................. 52 (gas and electricity are one combined DD, I haven't checked the exact split but the total is £104)
    Gas..................................... 52
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 104 (also including a debt from previous property, but I think this will be included for another 6 months or so. I'm not sure what our actual usage is)
    Telephone (land line)................... 18.5 (includes internet)
    Mobile phone............................ 85 (£45 for my contract, which I use for work as well, £40 for DH)
    TV Licence.............................. 12.12
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 0
    Internet Services....................... 0 (included in landline cost)
    Groceries etc. ......................... 520 (Includes £40 for one lot of school lunches. I am REALLY struggling to reduce this, but feel I could and should be able to!)
    Clothing................................ 100 (growing children, plus see notes below re clothes)
    Petrol/diesel........................... 225 (90% DH commuting costs)
    Road tax................................ 16.27
    Car Insurance........................... 25.22
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 30
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 50
    Childcare/nursery....................... 70 (this will disappear in April as child 3 gets free 15 hours)
    Other child related expenses............ 81.85 (music/swimming lessons x2, cubs and beavers, National Trust membership as they love visiting them)
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 5
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 0
    Buildings insurance..................... 27.07
    Contents insurance...................... 0
    Life assurance ......................... 16.26
    Other insurance......................... 0
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 90
    Haircuts................................ 20
    Entertainment........................... 135
    Holiday................................. 75
    Emergency fund.......................... 25
    Total monthly expenses.................. 2707.29

Assets

Cash.................................... 0
    House value (Gross)..................... 210000
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 800
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 210800

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Mortgage...................... 173733...(698)......3.14
    Total secured & HP debts...... 173733....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Barclaycard....................6880.21...156...... .0
    MBNA...........................9614.71...98....... .0
    Parental loan..................20000.....0.........0 (see notes below)
    Tesco loan.....................21000.....377.......10
    Total unsecured debts..........57494.92..631.......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 3,153.86
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 2,707.29
    Available for debt repayments........... 446.57
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 631
    Amount short for making debt repayments. -184.43

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 210,800
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -173,733
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -57,494.92
    Net Assets.............................. -20,427.92

Created using the SOA calculator at stoozing.
    Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using other browser.

Regarding the (relatively) high clothes expense, it is a combination of 3 growing children (8, 6 and 3), plus the fact that my job is in the fashion industry, and as a self employed person I need to have the right sort of 'look' in order to get work (think along the lines of a self employed personal shopper - people need to see you looking good in order to book with you).

The parental loan was for a house deposit. The parent in question has no idea about our debts. She is not desperate for the money back and isn't charging us interest, but has asked us to save £150-200 every month into a savings account and then once we've saved a decent sum to either repay them or 'reborrow' it for work on the house (basically they want us to be able to make repayments if they suddenly need the extra income, but meanwhile are happy for us to benefit from it. I am not saving the money while our debt payments are so high - we are hoping to have paid enough off that if the parent ever needs it that we can reborrow it and pay them back). This isn't great, but realistically I think the best solutions is to treat it as the lowest priority for snowballing - once we have paid back the other debts we will throw the entire £630+ at this debt.

So, there is a freaking enormous shortfall every month, which is somewhat depressing. Most months it is covered by the fact that I earn more than my 'bare minimum', but it is those months where it isn't covered that the debt creeps up again, and I am a total disaster for going 'oh well, we've spent on the credit card, we might as well keep going' and buying more clothes or something for the house - this is probably a significant proportion of our debt problem.

We have managed to get rid of the balance on the one credit card we were spending on, so the remaining ones are both on 0% deals (although one expires in September). I have not cut up the remaining credit card, because we don't have an emergency fund in case of eg boiler repairs, but it has not been used for all of a month, and I hope to keep it that way.

A DMP or similar isn't really on my horizon right now - I feel like we should be able to make the cuts to make our budgets balance, and I am optimistic that as my income goes up (when I can work more as child 3 starts school) that we will be able to make overpayments.

My plan for now is:
    1) Try to wiggle those budget numbers around enough that we don't have a shortfall any more.
    2) Make a plan for any months where I make extra - do I use it for an emergency fund, as a fund to cover future months' shortfalls, to throw money at the debt to try to reduce minimum payments in case of future 'shortfall' months?
    3) Try to make more money. Not quite sure how this will work as I am largely limited to working around DH's working hours (I work evenings and weekends and the 5hrs childcare per week we are paying for for child 3).

Now that's all down in black and white I am feeling a combination of relieved (to be clear on the numbers) and immensely stressed (by the semi-regular £180+ shortfall).

Onwards and downwards (for the debt, not me)!

edited to add: the original £67,031.92 figure was based on the total figure for the Tesco loan, which included all interest payable over the entire term of the loan. I have updated the debt figure in my signature and in all posts going forward as at 4th June 2017 to reflect that actual current debt balance rather than the balance plus interest over the lifetime of the loan. This has knocked £7,911.62 off the debt figure, but means that each monthly payment will have the interest for that month deducted from it, so it won't affect the DFD if I don't make overpayments.
    Last edited by Treadingonplaymobil; 04-06-2017 at 2:58 PM.
Page 138
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 14th Mar 18, 8:56 AM
    • 6,407 Posts
    • 13,188 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Thanks but itís an iphone.
    Originally posted by Verbatim
    http://appleinsider.com/articles/17/09/26/tips-turn-off-ios-11-smart-punctuation-to-avoid-data-entry-problems

Any apple device later than iOS 11 is affected.

Try settings then general then you should see keyboards and smart punctuation.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 14th Mar 18, 8:15 PM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 15,404 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Amazon issue resolved - DH had ordered a new Cubs jumper for DC1. Glad nothing had gone wrong there, didn't want the hassle of chasing it!

Weirdly exhausted today, suppose I've done a lot, although haven't ticked off my entire list. Have spent more on the birthdays, getting party bag things. Still haven't really bought a proper present for DC3, although DC2's came today - a rock tumbler polisher thing, which he will absolutely love. I'm not looking forward to it grumbling away in the background for two months, but I think he'll enjoy the process enormously.

I chucked a bundle of cheap cards into the Amazon order today too, seemed as good a place as any to bulk buy them. Hope they aren't individually cellophane wrapped. Had to buy a card for my uncle today - £2.95 on one card! Much nicer than the amazon cards, but when I'm sending two or three a month I'm very happy with £1 Amazon ones. I am on a mission this year to write a thoughtful message in cards rather than just sending them, so hopefully that will be remembered more than the picture on the card.

Three things to do today (um, that was so much more than three)
    1. Pack orders for smaller business.
    2. Complete extra piece of contract work.
    3. Town - post orders and birthday cards, buy toothpaste (anyone else's children incapable of squeezing out a sensible sized blob of toothpaste? Even the 9yo is useless at it), cash out for school residential deposit - £83 in total to pay!
    4. Order cheap birthday cards - we have nowhere cheap locally to buy them and I keep ending up buying £3 ones from town, it was so useful having a cheap stock of them in the house when I remembered to buy a load last year. Wondering whether I can order a load of plain ones and just get the DC to decorate them all in one go, as there never seems to be time for homemade ones when birthdays roll around. Will compare prices.
    5. Social media post.
    6. Follow up a couple of client enquiries.

7. Phone a tutor for DC1 for next year (11+ area). Whoops, really must do this.
    8. Change DC2's bed sheets - nosebleed in the night! Bad mother. DH has changed his pillow case though, which was the worst affected bit!
    9. Sort childcare for a work enquiry for April. Have sorted DH for one day, need to beg my mother for the other.

Debt repayment:
    - £21.45/31 March rounding down pot.
    - £1,608.78/£5,000 2018 debt repayment goal
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017: £38,608 unsecured debt/£20,000 parental loan/£173,282 mortgage = £231,890
    debt on 13th May 2018: £13,648.58 unsecured debt/£20,000 parental loan/£192,680.11 mortgage = £226,328.69
    • PositiveBalance
    • By PositiveBalance 14th Mar 18, 8:55 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 3,638 Thanks
    PositiveBalance
    R. E. Cards. Do you have a Card Factory near you? They do lots of inexpensive cards. The best ones are the little 10 for £1 cards. I'm sure they would be perfect for the birthdays of your DCs' classmates.
    Original debt to source: £11,640.02; debt repaid: £6201.01 (53%); remaining debt: £5439.01
    0% CC balance: £4999.67 now £3818.43
    Emergency Fund (#187): £0/£1000
    Terrimundi: fleeced!
    • ToTheBatcave
    • By ToTheBatcave 14th Mar 18, 9:35 PM
    • 9 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    ToTheBatcave
    Delurking just to say The Works have also recently offered 10 cards for £1 - if that helps at all!
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 15th Mar 18, 5:02 AM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 15,404 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Week 57: Day 4

Morning!

Cards - we don't have a card factory or Works anywhere particularly nearby - if I go somewhere and pass one I'll stop in and get some more to stock up though. Cheap cards for friends sounds ideal (sometimes, I have to confess, I don't even bother including one for friends' birthdays, as long as the present has a tag on it).

Need to get a top up food shop today, only to last until tomorrow. Have nothing for dinner! Going to get some veg and pearl barley and make a nice winter veg soup. I am into week three of my budgeting month, which I'm hoping will be cheaper than week 2 - I spent the most appalling amount on food, and the party spends have been too high (gosh, what a shock). Hopefully it will be one of those times where it's an expensive week followed by a cheap week.

Three things to do today (more than three again! Hopefully for the last time this week)
    1. Follow up another work enquiry.
    2. Redo schedule for contract work.
    3. Change DC2's sheets.
    4. Tidy our room a bit.
    5. Sort childcare for 2nd date in April.
    6. Order business cards.
    7. Make sourdough.
    8. Prep for a talk I'm doing on the weekend.
    9. Finish baby cardigan for imminently arriving baby (not mine, I hasten to add ).
    10. Top up food shop.

Debt repayment:
    - £1,608.78/£5,000 2018 debt repayment goal
    £67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017: £38,608 unsecured debt/£20,000 parental loan/£173,282 mortgage = £231,890
    debt on 13th May 2018: £13,648.58 unsecured debt/£20,000 parental loan/£192,680.11 mortgage = £226,328.69
    • Eager_Elephant
    • By Eager_Elephant 15th Mar 18, 6:40 AM
    • 4,356 Posts
    • 24,705 Thanks
    Eager_Elephant
    https://www.cardfactory.co.uk/

Free delivery when you spend £20
    Ninja Saving Turtle No. 34 for April
    NSD - 0/15
    (up to 2/4/18)
    My Diary is here - http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=2175629 (Eager Elephants Effective Everyday Excursion)
    • warby68
    • By warby68 15th Mar 18, 7:30 AM
    • 937 Posts
    • 9,557 Thanks
    warby68
    Whistlefish is good for a birthday card stock up

Current deal is 10 for £8 and they are much nicer than 80p per card suggests.

Quite a satisfying browse and choose as well ToPM
    • warby68
    • By warby68 15th Mar 18, 7:35 AM
    • 937 Posts
    • 9,557 Thanks
    warby68
    Also, you use Amazon quite a bit I think ToPM

Do you have a Kidstart account for cashback? You don't need specific children's accounts - you can set it up for your own bank account.

Only 2% but Amazon cashback is rare.
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 15th Mar 18, 7:53 AM
    • 6,407 Posts
    • 13,188 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    I second card factory for good range of cheap cards.

Also re the plastic waste. My eldest DD is very anti plastic and lives in Bristol where a new green no waste shop has opened up. I don't know if you live near there or go there occasionally but she gets her staples like rice, oats, pasta etc from there and they don't use any plastic packing.

I am definitely with you on the no tat and party bags. Years ago we would send kids home with just a slice of birthday cake wrapped in a napkin and a balloon. Now it seems the trend to spend loads on party bags and cheap toys all of which end up in the bin.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • WannabeFree
    • By WannabeFree 15th Mar 18, 4:07 PM
    • 1,536 Posts
    • 13,289 Thanks
    WannabeFree
    I'm delurking again.. all the talk of parties.

Unicorn cake.. are you making yourself? If so.. Dowel.. extra dowel and do again just to be safe. I made DD's last month (8inch but 6 cakes tall to get the effect) and it's the only cake I've made that's collapsed. I was devastated and had to do it again! It's never happened before even on wedding cakes! I can only think it's the 'horn' being so heavy right in the middle although it was on a dowel all the way to the board (not plastic ) But you can imagine my delight when my other DD asked for a cake the same but blue not pink That one survived though

We did paper party bags Not much better than plastic I guess but hopefully a little.
    ďOnce you hit rock bottom, that's where you perfectly stand; That's your chance of restarting, but restarting the right way.Ē
    • Sayschezza
    • By Sayschezza 15th Mar 18, 5:41 PM
    • 255 Posts
    • 2,334 Thanks
    Sayschezza
    Works have nice small brown paper craft bags 3 For £1
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 15th Mar 18, 8:12 PM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 15,404 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Well I've had a productive day. Always pleasing.

Didn't realise card factory had free delivery, will definitely do an order there soon, thanks Eager_Elephant! And Warby the whistlfish cards are lovely - they look much nicer than the price! Will get some from there for people I like more .

Enthusiasticsaver I've been reading about the new Bristol shop today, sounds excellent. We have a zero waste shop nearby which I have started using for a few things (it's actually cheaper for jumbo oats than the supermarket, and for a couple of pulses), and have discovered the joy of the local greengrocers, although they're not the cheapest. So lovely browsing in there though, acres of beautiful fresh seasonal veg.

WannabeFree at the collapsing cake! It wouldn't have occurred to me to support it, and I've made an awful lot of cakes, including wedding ones, too! Will hunt down my dowels and other wedding cake supplies. I have the last of last year's revolting plastic bags to use up this year for DC3, and have paper bags for DC2. Was trying to think of an inventive solution, but failed. If DC2 had been having a party at the house I might have got them to decorate a (recycled card, natch) treasure chest and put sweets in that to take home, but not so easy on a train!

Still waiting for confirmation on what DH's bonus will be, to be paid with March's salary. Rumours are that it's 4% of 2017 salary, which would put it close to £1,000 after tax if true, but I'm trying not to get my hopes up. Would be amazing to boost the savings pots and make a debt overpayment. Must not get excited. Must not get excited.

Three things to do today (more than three again! Hopefully for the last time this week)
    1. Follow up another work enquiry.
    2. Redo schedule for contract work.
    3. Change DC2's sheets.

4. Tidy our room a bit. FAIL
    5. Sort childcare for 2nd date in April.
    6. Order business cards.
    7. Make sourdough.
    8. Prep for a talk I'm doing on the weekend.

9. Finish baby cardigan for imminently arriving baby (not mine, I hasten to add ). DOUBLE FAIL
    10. Top up food shop.

Not a total disaster. Hopefully I'll get those other couple of things done tomorrow.

Debt repayment:
    - £1,608.78/£5,000 2018 debt repayment goal.
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 16th Mar 18, 5:00 AM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 15,404 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Week 57: Day 5

Last day of the week, although for me it's more like the last day of a long relaxing weekend (well, I've been working, but not client-facing), whereas Saturday, Sunday and Monday are all going to be hectic days with clients. It's paid for the birthday parties and presents though, so I can't complain - it would have been a case of robbing the other savings pots otherwise.

I've had a really good week in terms of catching up with things (work and non-work), and I'm hoping for another productive day today, as next week isn't going to be anything like as successful, with clients Monday, Wednesday and Saturday.

I always feel like this middle-of-the-month stage is just a case of watching my bank account deplete, while nothing else much is happening. Once I get into the last 10 days of the month or so I start to think about DH's salary coming in, building my bank account back up to three months' salary and expenses, and budgeting for the following month. This bit of the month, though, is always when I slightly lose the will to live with the debt repayment and it all just seems very tedious and sloooooowwwww.

I had a real wobble yesterday when the DCs once again turned their noses up at dinner. It's DC2, really, and then DC3 copies him (although DC3 ended up coming back for a second dinner later on as it turned out to not be so awful after all - I wouldn't usually allow this but just wasn't up for the fight). I feel like I'm serving them an endless round of things they don't really like, even though I'm trying hard to produce food that is healthy, tasty, seasonal and unprocessed. At this time of year, 'seasonal' obviously gets a little samey, as it's all about variations on the theme of root veg, leeks and winter greens, and I serve a lot of soups and stews. Not sure how to tackle this, although I suppose it will improve through the year as the variety of veg increases.

Three things to do today (I'll be honest, I have a dozen things I'm hoping to get done, but trying to prioritise in case my plans get thrown off, as they so often do, by having DC3 to look after on a Friday)
    1. Pop into town - the fishmonger comes on a Friday and I'm going to get something, although not sure what yet. I might get some cheap white fish and make goujons - two chicken breasts did for five of us last time I did that! I have a couple of potatoes leftover so could do wedges to go with.
    2. Redo menu plan - both my parents are coming down next week now, instead of just my mum, so I need to make sure I have proper food in! So much for my cheap week, with two extra adults to feed.
    3. Bake the sourdough that's been proving overnight.

Debt repayment:
    - £1,608.78/£5,000 2018 debt repayment goal.
    Last edited by Treadingonplaymobil; 16-03-2018 at 5:10 AM.
    • Verbatim
    • By Verbatim 16th Mar 18, 7:14 AM
    • 4,577 Posts
    • 13,622 Thanks
    Verbatim
    Thanks EE. Let's see if your recommended fux has worked.
    All looking under control TOPM. Fingers crossed for the bonus.
    CCs @0% £24k Dec 05 £19,621.41 Au £13400 S 12600 Oct £11,981 £9481 £7500 Nov £7250 D £7100 Jan 6950 F £5800 Mar£5400 May £4830 June £4660 July £4460 Aug £3200, S £900, £0 18/9/07 DFW Nerd 042
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 16th Mar 18, 8:01 AM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 15,404 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Random question: has anyone made vanilla extract? It takes a few months but I seem to spend a fortune on the stuff (bake a lot). There are cheap-ish vanilla pods on amazon, I'm thinking of giving it a try. Less plastic waste too
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 16th Mar 18, 8:09 AM
    • 1,331 Posts
    • 6,201 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    Random question: has anyone made vanilla extract? It takes a few months but I seem to spend a fortune on the stuff (bake a lot). There are cheap-ish vanilla pods on amazon, I'm thinking of giving it a try. Less plastic waste too
    Originally posted by Treadingonplaymobil

No, but having just google the incredibly easy process I'm tempted to experiment with a range of 'gin flavoured' vanilla extracts...

A link to the vanilla pods would be appreciated TOPM. thank you.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s £34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 £1600ish/£2,500
    • dawnybabes
    • By dawnybabes 16th Mar 18, 8:51 AM
    • 1,576 Posts
    • 3,844 Thanks
    dawnybabes
    Vanilla extract
    I make my own, itís gets better with age .....

I bought a big batch of vanilla pods off the bay of e a few years ago, a cheap bottle of vodka and made little bottles of it for family and friends for Xmas, added some nice ribbon looked lovely.
    Sealed pot challenge 822

Jan - £176.66
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 16th Mar 18, 8:54 AM
    • 1,331 Posts
    • 6,201 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    I make my own, itís gets better with age .....

I bought a big batch of vanilla pods off the bay of e a few years ago, a cheap bottle of vodka and made little bottles of it for family and friends for Xmas, added some nice ribbon looked lovely.
    Originally posted by dawnybabes
    I was thinking Christmas presents too. How long does it last?
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = £400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s £34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100 April 19/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 £1600ish/£2,500
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 16th Mar 18, 9:05 AM
    • 1,707 Posts
    • 9,216 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I had been looking at vanilla extract ideas too... it may take me a while to source the optimum bottles but I think they are a lovely idea for a gift.
    MFW #30 Paid off £1,622.77/£3770 as of 4/5/18
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 16th Mar 18, 11:10 AM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 15,404 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    It must last for absolutely ages - it's basically just vodka with seeds in. It takes 3-6 months to even make, I'd hope it would last a year or two beyond that. I was looking at these ones on amazon, but haven't searched elsewhere to compare prices - eBay worth a look.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,990Posts Today

6,015Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin