Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 12th Feb 17, 9:56 AM
    • 1,585Posts
    • 15,406Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....
    • 12th Feb 17, 9:56 AM
    67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed.... 12th Feb 17 at 9:56 AM
    67,031.92. Seriously. 67,031.92. That is a SCARY number. I can't believe our debt has peaked (and it is the peak, I am determined) at this level.

Our light bulb moment actually happened a few months back, but it's taken since then of wrangling utilities and carefully watching out income/outgoings (using You Need a Budget) to really figure out where we were overspending and how the monthly shortfall of anything from 200-1,000+ was happening.

We have literally nothing to show for this debt, it's just crept up over the past 8 years or so, and has always been at manageable levels, but back in October we realised we were spending more on credit cards each month than we were paying off.

We committed that cardinal sin of taking out a consolidation loan, but alongside it we looked really carefully at our spending over the next couple of months, budgeted realistically for what we spend and have (I think) picked off all the easy 'low hanging fruit' of budget cuts and really identified why we were overspending.

The main reason for the debt is, erm, me. Not that I'm the biggest spender (neither of us are amazing), but because I am self employed with a hugely variable income and basically worked out our budgets on the basis I would always earn my 'best' month's income. Which was, with hindsight, maybe a TINY bit deluded.

The aim of this diary is to keep us on track with actually reducing our debt every single month, not doing it in a three steps forward, two (or four) steps back sort of way. Having sat down and put our numbers into the whatsthecost site, it appears that we are looking at 7 years and 1 month of repayments to clear the debt (and that's assuming we can get rid of the shortfall showing below). I REALLY want to reduce this term as that just seems bonkers.

SOA below, with a couple of explanatory notes.

Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 2
    Number of children in household......... 3
    Number of cars owned.................... 1

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 250 (variable, but this is the minimum I have earned in any month in the last 5 years)
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 2711.86
    Benefits................................ 192
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income.................... 3153.86

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 698
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 174 (including overpayment for a period when we messed up during a house move 18 months ago and didn't restart the direct debit for the new property. Will drop by a little under 50 after either March or April, can't remember which)
    Electricity............................. 52 (gas and electricity are one combined DD, I haven't checked the exact split but the total is 104)
    Gas..................................... 52
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 104 (also including a debt from previous property, but I think this will be included for another 6 months or so. I'm not sure what our actual usage is)
    Telephone (land line)................... 18.5 (includes internet)
    Mobile phone............................ 85 (45 for my contract, which I use for work as well, 40 for DH)
    TV Licence.............................. 12.12
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 0
    Internet Services....................... 0 (included in landline cost)
    Groceries etc. ......................... 520 (Includes 40 for one lot of school lunches. I am REALLY struggling to reduce this, but feel I could and should be able to!)
    Clothing................................ 100 (growing children, plus see notes below re clothes)
    Petrol/diesel........................... 225 (90% DH commuting costs)
    Road tax................................ 16.27
    Car Insurance........................... 25.22
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 30
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 50
    Childcare/nursery....................... 70 (this will disappear in April as child 3 gets free 15 hours)
    Other child related expenses............ 81.85 (music/swimming lessons x2, cubs and beavers, National Trust membership as they love visiting them)
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 5
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 0
    Buildings insurance..................... 27.07
    Contents insurance...................... 0
    Life assurance ......................... 16.26
    Other insurance......................... 0
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 90
    Haircuts................................ 20
    Entertainment........................... 135
    Holiday................................. 75
    Emergency fund.......................... 25
    Total monthly expenses.................. 2707.29

Assets

Cash.................................... 0
    House value (Gross)..................... 210000
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 800
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 210800

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Mortgage...................... 173733...(698)......3.14
    Total secured & HP debts...... 173733....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Barclaycard....................6880.21...156...... .0
    MBNA...........................9614.71...98....... .0
    Parental loan..................20000.....0.........0 (see notes below)
    Tesco loan.....................21000.....377.......10
    Total unsecured debts..........57494.92..631.......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 3,153.86
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 2,707.29
    Available for debt repayments........... 446.57
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 631
    Amount short for making debt repayments. -184.43

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 210,800
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -173,733
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -57,494.92
    Net Assets.............................. -20,427.92

Created using the SOA calculator at stoozing.
    Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using other browser.

Regarding the (relatively) high clothes expense, it is a combination of 3 growing children (8, 6 and 3), plus the fact that my job is in the fashion industry, and as a self employed person I need to have the right sort of 'look' in order to get work (think along the lines of a self employed personal shopper - people need to see you looking good in order to book with you).

The parental loan was for a house deposit. The parent in question has no idea about our debts. She is not desperate for the money back and isn't charging us interest, but has asked us to save 150-200 every month into a savings account and then once we've saved a decent sum to either repay them or 'reborrow' it for work on the house (basically they want us to be able to make repayments if they suddenly need the extra income, but meanwhile are happy for us to benefit from it. I am not saving the money while our debt payments are so high - we are hoping to have paid enough off that if the parent ever needs it that we can reborrow it and pay them back). This isn't great, but realistically I think the best solutions is to treat it as the lowest priority for snowballing - once we have paid back the other debts we will throw the entire 630+ at this debt.

So, there is a freaking enormous shortfall every month, which is somewhat depressing. Most months it is covered by the fact that I earn more than my 'bare minimum', but it is those months where it isn't covered that the debt creeps up again, and I am a total disaster for going 'oh well, we've spent on the credit card, we might as well keep going' and buying more clothes or something for the house - this is probably a significant proportion of our debt problem.

We have managed to get rid of the balance on the one credit card we were spending on, so the remaining ones are both on 0% deals (although one expires in September). I have not cut up the remaining credit card, because we don't have an emergency fund in case of eg boiler repairs, but it has not been used for all of a month, and I hope to keep it that way.

A DMP or similar isn't really on my horizon right now - I feel like we should be able to make the cuts to make our budgets balance, and I am optimistic that as my income goes up (when I can work more as child 3 starts school) that we will be able to make overpayments.

My plan for now is:
    1) Try to wiggle those budget numbers around enough that we don't have a shortfall any more.
    2) Make a plan for any months where I make extra - do I use it for an emergency fund, as a fund to cover future months' shortfalls, to throw money at the debt to try to reduce minimum payments in case of future 'shortfall' months?
    3) Try to make more money. Not quite sure how this will work as I am largely limited to working around DH's working hours (I work evenings and weekends and the 5hrs childcare per week we are paying for for child 3).

Now that's all down in black and white I am feeling a combination of relieved (to be clear on the numbers) and immensely stressed (by the semi-regular 180+ shortfall).

Onwards and downwards (for the debt, not me)!

edited to add: the original 67,031.92 figure was based on the total figure for the Tesco loan, which included all interest payable over the entire term of the loan. I have updated the debt figure in my signature and in all posts going forward as at 4th June 2017 to reflect that actual current debt balance rather than the balance plus interest over the lifetime of the loan. This has knocked 7,911.62 off the debt figure, but means that each monthly payment will have the interest for that month deducted from it, so it won't affect the DFD if I don't make overpayments.
    Last edited by Treadingonplaymobil; 04-06-2017 at 2:58 PM.
Page 136
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 10th Mar 18, 7:18 AM
    • 730 Posts
    • 1,016 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    What I've noticed amongst friends with pre-teen and teenage DC's is that they really start to become un-interested in "Family" activities as they get older.

They no longer want to eat together, play together, go out and do activities, together, and want to just be off doing their own thing (which almost always involves extra 's)

I think so far you seem to have given the kids an idyllic childhood, with lots of activities and family time...but that will start to ebb away over the next few years, and you need to let them "find themselves". Your instinct may be to try to "hold it all together" but its easier said than done.
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow "
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 10th Mar 18, 7:42 AM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 15,406 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    What I've noticed amongst friends with pre-teen and teenage DC's is that they really start to become un-interested in "Family" activities as they get older.

They no longer want to eat together, play together, go out and do activities, together, and want to just be off doing their own thing (which almost always involves extra 's)

I think so far you seem to have given the kids an idyllic childhood, with lots of activities and family time...but that will start to ebb away over the next few years, and you need to let them "find themselves". Your instinct may be to try to "hold it all together" but its easier said than done.
    Originally posted by Sea Shell
    No problem with any of that (I LOVE downtime away from my children and savour it when I am not having family time with them as I spend so much of the rest of the time with them), but not at 6 and 3!
    67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017: 38,608 unsecured debt/20,000 parental loan/173,282 mortgage = 231,890
    debt on 13th May 2018: 13,648.58 unsecured debt/20,000 parental loan/192,680.11 mortgage = 226,328.69
    • Sea Shell
    • By Sea Shell 10th Mar 18, 7:53 AM
    • 730 Posts
    • 1,016 Thanks
    Sea Shell
    But before you can say it, they'll be 16 & 13, in what seems like the blink of an eye. Enjoy it whilst it lasts.
    " That pound I saved yesterday, is a pound I don't have to earn tomorrow "
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 10th Mar 18, 7:56 AM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 15,406 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    But before you can say it, they'll be 16 & 13, in what seems like the blink of an eye. Enjoy it whilst it lasts.
    Nah, I'm going to have a riot when they're that age - I'm going to stand outside their bedrooms at 5am and yell 'is it time to get uuuuuuuup yet?' And 'Are you asleeeeeeep?'
    67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017: 38,608 unsecured debt/20,000 parental loan/173,282 mortgage = 231,890
    debt on 13th May 2018: 13,648.58 unsecured debt/20,000 parental loan/192,680.11 mortgage = 226,328.69
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 10th Mar 18, 8:33 AM
    • 1,978 Posts
    • 20,670 Thanks
    Suffolk lass

I agree this happens at high-school but TOPM's oldest is not ten yet!
    MFiT T4 #2 update 88.72% after Q9 tiny bit ahead of where I should be
    Save 12k in 2018 #53 - after March 19.96% 1,996.19/10,000 5.04% behind
    OS Grocery Challenge 2018 spent 721.33/3,000 including stores so far 24.04% of my annual budget at the end of April
    My DFD is here
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 10th Mar 18, 8:35 AM
    • 1,978 Posts
    • 20,670 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    May I suggest that rather than planning a definite meal plan you look at what meat or fish is on offer - I used to write "meat and veg" on my list and then look at what was on offer and include at least one brightly coloured vegetable. On the other hand, that does also explain why my freezer is too full...
    OS Grocery Challenge 2018 spent 721.33/3,000 including stores so far 24.04% of my annual budget at the end of April
    My DFD is here
    • arsenalbarnie
    • By arsenalbarnie 10th Mar 18, 8:54 AM
    • 269 Posts
    • 1,678 Thanks
    arsenalbarnie
    Re the meals, I have four boys and a girl all now adults. They used to love a roast chicken dinner. They still do, I find the Aldi free range ones fairly reasonable. You can then use the carcass for chicken soup. We used to have a roast on a Weds night rather than a Sunday, as weekends were a bit busy. Do they like a roast dinner? I agree with Suffolk Lass and see what is on offer. I used to base my week around Mon, meat free, Tues pasta, Weds roast, Thurs homemade chips, egg, beans type thing, Fri fakeaway or fish etc, then go from there. Still do it now! Usually a quiche chucked in somewhere! If I was skint my veg pasta sauce would do two nights, once with spaghetti, then next night in with pasta shapes and cheese on top for pasta bake. It's two onions, garlic, two carrots, two courgettes, tin of chopped toms. Saute chopped veg then add toms and bit of water. When cooked blend til smooth and the carrots make it go creamy. They still love that now.
    • arsenalbarnie
    • By arsenalbarnie 10th Mar 18, 9:00 AM
    • 269 Posts
    • 1,678 Thanks
    arsenalbarnie
    Oh just remembered quite often the night before shopping was a bits and bobs night. Sandwiches, cut up carrots etc, plate of fruit cut up, jelly and a few baked cakes, they loved it! I could sometimes stretch the shopping to 8 days doing that.
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 10th Mar 18, 8:12 PM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 15,406 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Looking for meat and fish on offer/being less specific is a great plan, but would still require an increase in current budget - we currently just don't buy it (this week's beef stew was the first meat or fish in probably three weeks, and even then it was probably tinned fish). One to think about.

Another potential booking today, which will be another little chunk towards the birthday pot if it happens. And that's abut as exciting as it gets from me.

Did some batch cooking so I can focus on work tomorrow. Cracked out the pasta making attachment for my kenwood chef and made some fresh pasta, just for the fun of it. Also made some mini cheddars for packed lunches, flapjacks, bread rolls and veggie burgers.

Three things to do today
    1. Get house ready for clients.
    2. Menu plan for next week.
    3. Plan work for tomorrow - SO much to catch up on after snow and illness. Not much success on this one, hopefully will get more done tomorrow.

Debt repayment:
    - 18.38/31 March rounding down pot.
    - 1,608.78/5,000 2018 debt repayment goal.
    • ellen vannin
    • By ellen vannin 10th Mar 18, 8:21 PM
    • 209 Posts
    • 998 Thanks
    ellen vannin
    Just agreeing with prev. posters - using what's on offer saves loads,
    e.g. - today fresh chickens in Tesco 2.50 and lasts for a lunch as well as dinner.

I like your idea to stop OH buying snacks etc with the diesel . Men can be less organised, so perhaps supply a healthy snack box for his car filled with nuts etc.?

Also using loyalty cards always pays , saved 10 today on 70 worth of shopping in Tesco, although it did involve stocking up on long shelf life items. Buying in bulk when an offer is on def. pays if you have the storage space.
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 11th Mar 18, 5:23 AM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 15,406 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Week 56: Day 7

Hurrah, feel positively human today, thank goodness. Just about to go and get my yoga out of the way so I can spend some mother's day time with the DC when they wake up.

Yesterday's potential booking paid last night and I put all the profit towards the DCs' presents and parties. I think I actually have enough to cover everything in a pinch, although I'd like a little more in reserve just in case.

Lots and lots of work to catch up on today, but I'm going to just concentrate on my three most urgent things first, and worry about the rest once they are done.

Three things to do today
    1. Pack orders for smaller business.
    2. Finish contracted work for client A.
    3. Finish contracted work for client B.

Debt repayment:
    - 18.55/31 March rounding down pot.
    • Suffolk lass
    • By Suffolk lass 11th Mar 18, 7:40 AM
    • 1,978 Posts
    • 20,670 Thanks
    Suffolk lass
    Oh just remembered quite often the night before shopping was a bits and bobs night. Sandwiches, cut up carrots etc, plate of fruit cut up, jelly and a few baked cakes, they loved it! I could sometimes stretch the shopping to 8 days doing that.
    Originally posted by arsenalbarnie
    I love this. We occasionally CBA to cook on a Thursday or Friday night and so I go to egg and chips - I always have a few chips in the freezer but I love the indoor picnic idea.

I should have made clear that if no meat met my budget, we go to freezer or veg meals (leek and cauliflowers are two of our seasonal staples and combining these with onion, carrot and cabbage with a veg stock thing makes a lovely veg mix that I pour a little cheese sauce over and bake for "veg au gratin".

I do have food enough for the next Suffolk Siege here and there are only two of us but I have spent 452.64 so far this year (including the next week)
    My DFD is here
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 11th Mar 18, 7:10 PM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 15,406 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Am feeling really pleased with having nailed the work I wanted to get done today. So nice to not feel frustrated with how little I've achieved at the end of the day!

Ordered DC2's present and DC3's party decorations/pinata etc today. Am down to 96 in the birthday pot with DC3's present and DC2's birthday activity still to pay for (and a present each for two close child relatives too). It isn't really enough but will cover the bare necessities although not any extra gifts for either or cake/party food supplies. Hopefully will be able to top up the pots over the coming fortnight so I don't have to dip into any others. I'm pleased with how it's shaping up so far though, and that I haven't needed to rob other pots to pay yet.

Could it be that I am finally getting the hang of this budgeting thing? Even if I am only getting the hang of it by scrabbling frantically each month to cover whichever pot I have a shortfall in! I'm lucky I've had a couple of months of really good income which have enabled me to stay ahead. Hopefully if I can keep it up for another month or two each pot will build up enough so this won't keep repeating on a monthly basis.

Ooh, and another nice thing today - DH took on board that I'd asked for garden things for mothers day - and is embracing the plastic free thing - and I got presented with a lovely repurposed cardboard crate from the garden centre this morning with three tomato and strawberry seedlings, some potatoes and seeds for spinach, chard and salad leaves. And some biscuits and a hot chocolate lolly (one of those blocks of chocolate on a lolly stick you melt in milk). I felt thoroughly treated, and like I'd really got something that was a good use of money (he has form for panic buying something daft).

Three things to do today
    1. Pack orders for smaller business.
    2. Finish contracted work for client A.
    3. Finish contracted work for client B. Hurrah to getting everything done!!!

Debt repayment:
    - 19.32/31 March rounding down pot.
    Last edited by Treadingonplaymobil; 11-03-2018 at 7:12 PM.
    • PositiveBalance
    • By PositiveBalance 11th Mar 18, 8:28 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 3,638 Thanks
    PositiveBalance
    Happy Mother's Day, ToPM!

Perhaps you aren't the only one who is getting the hang if the budgeting thing.
    Original debt to source: 11,640.02; debt repaid: 6201.01 (53%); remaining debt: 5439.01
    0% CC balance: 4999.67 now 3818.43
    Emergency Fund (#187): 0/1000
    Terrimundi: fleeced!
    • Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 11th Mar 18, 9:07 PM
    • 376 Posts
    • 1,773 Thanks
    Silver Queen
    It sounds like things are really shaping up well for your family. Well done
    Debt Totals May 2018::
    350 Natwest Credit Card / Now 0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) 15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now 10,250 500 train ticket loan from parents / Now 0 (paid off 16/02/18) 2,000 Overdraft Now 0 (paid off 09/03/18)
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 12th Mar 18, 2:55 AM
    • 837 Posts
    • 3,334 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    What a brilliant Mother's Day present!
    paydbx #93 692/8,000.
    Loan 17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans 3342 March 2017. 3123 in Jan 18
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 12th Mar 18, 4:45 AM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 15,406 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Week 57: Day 1

Another new week! And maybe this week I'll actually achieve some work and house stuff! Fingers crossed for not losing another chunk of time to weather, poorly DC, poorly me or any other factors.

Thank you for the mothers day wishes, I hope everyone else had a lovely day too. It was so nice that DH had listened and got what I wanted, and sat and done homemade cards with the DC etc too. Really lovely day.

I have my 'houseowork' day today, and a fairly quiet week all round, until the weekend anyway, when I am working with clients all day Saturday, Sunday and Monday (all that extra money I've been earning has to come with some work attached I suppose!). Amazed the house isn't looking worse after being totally neglected for a fortnight, although our bedroom (which always becomes the dumping ground) is just awful. Hoping to get a bit on top of it all today. I'll revisit my monthly list in my next post too, which should be depressing - I don't think I've done a single thing from it yet this month, with one thing and another.

Sort of MS news: I have decided to give the DCs an ultimatum of either practising more, or stopping piano lessons at the end of the term. Just seems a bit pointless to keep sending them every week if they don't practise at home ever. They are quite happy to go for lessons, but not really getting anywhere with it. I suspect DC2 might carry on, and DC1 probably won't. We're going to put the money it frees up into a 'DC kitty' for nice cultural activities (sorry, that sounds a bit pretentious), even if it only pays for a trip to the local theatre or ballet once a year, it will be nice to feel that they're not just losing another opportunity because of our tight budget.

Menu plan for the week
    Mon - boiled eggs and soldiers for DC, leftovers for DH and I (DC have early dinner due to clubs)
    Tue - leftover stew and dumplings
    Wed - black bean chilli with salsa and tortilla chips
    Thu - winter veg soup with pearl barley
    Fri - fish of some description from market (with greens and potatoes?)
    Sat - sweet potato and coconut milk soup with lentils and brown rice
    Sun - mujadara with green veg
    Lunches - cheese + crackers + houmous + veg sticks, leftovers, savoury cheese and veg muffins.
    snacks - fruit, toast, drop scones, flapjacks.

Three things to do today
    1. Town - present for relative and top up food shop.
    2. Clear ironing.
    3. Savoury muffins for DC lunchboxes.

Debt repayment:
    - 19.90/31 March rounding down pot.
    Last edited by Treadingonplaymobil; 12-03-2018 at 5:04 AM.
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 12th Mar 18, 5:12 AM
    • 1,585 Posts
    • 15,406 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    March's lists update

Ha, have just read this from my post at the beginning of the month:
    I'm seeing March as a time to instill some new habits - I've succeeded in slowing down and doing less, and now I need to work out which habits/routines I want to re-incorporate into our lives. At the end of the day, cleaning, work, exercise etc all need to happen, so I need to make sure they appear somewhere in my routine. I still don't feel I've sorted out the balance between looking after myself and actually achieving everything that needs to be done. My yoga practise is always a symptom of this - when I am relaxed, eating well and managing to both get things done and have some downtime, I practise well. When everything else isn't quite right I can't face practising at all. At the moment I am leaning more towards the latter than the former.

Well that's been a total washout so far! <shakes fist at snow and illness>

Hopefully things will start to improve now. Anyway, here's the lists for the month...

Home/Family
    1. Defrost the freezer. Ooh, I've actually done this.
    2. Repaint bathroom tiles.
    3. Tidy up the front garden.
    4. DH finish front fence.
    5. Plan/start veg planting. Well I have A Plan. Need to check when what I've been given can be sown/planted.
    6. Put the word out about needing a little trailer for camping.
    7. Mend DC3's dressing up costume (Elsa's plait is coming loose...).
    8. Buy cheaper spoons for packed lunches - the DC have been taking in our proper cutlery and I'm fairly sure we've lost one or two of our nice (not cheap) spoons.
    9. Try to get back into a daily laundry/ironing rhythm.
    10. Try some new budget recipes. I have tasked DH with this as his mission for the week.
    11. Experiment with greater food planning - snacks and lunches as well as dinners (we usually rely on there being leftovers or cheese/crackers/veg, which is OK, but I wonder if we could do better by cooking more soup and stew batches or something, especially for weekends when we are all here). This is actually going really well and definitely improving what I personally eat day to day.

Me
    1. Stick to three things on my daily list at any one time. Well three things would count as a huge success in recent days!
    2. Eat proper meals and snacks, instead of grazing more or less continuously. Improving.
    3. Self care - downtime, nice baths, morning and evening rituals. Ha. No.
    4. Daily yoga. I'm only doing a short practice, but I am actually getting on my mat each day.
    5. Finish handmade presents for friend's imminent baby.
    6. Make any handmade presents for DC2 and 3 birthdays.

Work
    1. 10% growth on my main social media platform (296). Amazingly am up to 293 so far.
    2. A new blog post for my website.
    3. Get well ahead with contract work.
    4. Focus on my key aim - of developing some passive income that allows me to move away from my current (not hugely enjoyable) main income source.

MSE
    1. 31 minimum overpayment from rounding down YNAB pots.
    2. List wooden marble run on ebay.
    3. Fund birthdays somehow! This is going surprisingly well.
    4. Keep the food and diesel bills down. This is going less well.
    5. Experiment with smaller food shops, more often. We don't have masses of waste but I do feel we could improve a bit, and also up our veg intake - I often don't buy much veg because of the risk of it going off. We have plenty in the freezer, but it can get a bit samey. Experiment is ongoing. It's no cheaper, so far but a huge amount more enjoyable as I am going to the grocers etc. Need to fine tune what comes from the supermarket and what gets bought fresh.

I'm actually quite impressed that anything on that list has happened! I feel quite buoyed up seeing that I have done some things
    • cocalls
    • By cocalls 12th Mar 18, 5:55 AM
    • 842 Posts
    • 2,090 Thanks
    cocalls
    looking good-keep it up!
    • PurpleFairy26
    • By PurpleFairy26 12th Mar 18, 6:16 AM
    • 2,164 Posts
    • 14,646 Thanks
    PurpleFairy26
    TOPM have a look at Campbell's website. They do really good meat and fish and often have offers on boxes. The quality really is excellent and you can freeze it too. They have on offer on a family fish box at the moment .....

Glad the lergy has gone and how lovely you got useful but nice gifts for Mothering Sunday. It'll be lovely eating your gifts and your budget benefitting from them in a few months

One thing on the architect, I know you have mentioned a few times you need to pay him for further design changes. Can you not negotiate an all in price? What if he does a design you don't like, but wasn't wholly your idea? Just a thought, ours gave us a price, but it was all in,as many iterations as we wanted and overseeing planning for one fixed priced. Worth a thought to stop cost creep (or having to pay for another iteration of the plans to get the final design you really want)
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

54Posts Today

3,126Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin