Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 12th Feb 17, 9:56 AM
    • 1,579Posts
    • 15,323Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....
    • 12th Feb 17, 9:56 AM
    67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed.... 12th Feb 17 at 9:56 AM
    67,031.92. Seriously. 67,031.92. That is a SCARY number. I can't believe our debt has peaked (and it is the peak, I am determined) at this level.

Our light bulb moment actually happened a few months back, but it's taken since then of wrangling utilities and carefully watching out income/outgoings (using You Need a Budget) to really figure out where we were overspending and how the monthly shortfall of anything from 200-1,000+ was happening.

We have literally nothing to show for this debt, it's just crept up over the past 8 years or so, and has always been at manageable levels, but back in October we realised we were spending more on credit cards each month than we were paying off.

We committed that cardinal sin of taking out a consolidation loan, but alongside it we looked really carefully at our spending over the next couple of months, budgeted realistically for what we spend and have (I think) picked off all the easy 'low hanging fruit' of budget cuts and really identified why we were overspending.

The main reason for the debt is, erm, me. Not that I'm the biggest spender (neither of us are amazing), but because I am self employed with a hugely variable income and basically worked out our budgets on the basis I would always earn my 'best' month's income. Which was, with hindsight, maybe a TINY bit deluded.

The aim of this diary is to keep us on track with actually reducing our debt every single month, not doing it in a three steps forward, two (or four) steps back sort of way. Having sat down and put our numbers into the whatsthecost site, it appears that we are looking at 7 years and 1 month of repayments to clear the debt (and that's assuming we can get rid of the shortfall showing below). I REALLY want to reduce this term as that just seems bonkers.

SOA below, with a couple of explanatory notes.

Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 2
    Number of children in household......... 3
    Number of cars owned.................... 1

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 250 (variable, but this is the minimum I have earned in any month in the last 5 years)
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 2711.86
    Benefits................................ 192
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income.................... 3153.86

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 698
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 174 (including overpayment for a period when we messed up during a house move 18 months ago and didn't restart the direct debit for the new property. Will drop by a little under 50 after either March or April, can't remember which)
    Electricity............................. 52 (gas and electricity are one combined DD, I haven't checked the exact split but the total is 104)
    Gas..................................... 52
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 104 (also including a debt from previous property, but I think this will be included for another 6 months or so. I'm not sure what our actual usage is)
    Telephone (land line)................... 18.5 (includes internet)
    Mobile phone............................ 85 (45 for my contract, which I use for work as well, 40 for DH)
    TV Licence.............................. 12.12
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 0
    Internet Services....................... 0 (included in landline cost)
    Groceries etc. ......................... 520 (Includes 40 for one lot of school lunches. I am REALLY struggling to reduce this, but feel I could and should be able to!)
    Clothing................................ 100 (growing children, plus see notes below re clothes)
    Petrol/diesel........................... 225 (90% DH commuting costs)
    Road tax................................ 16.27
    Car Insurance........................... 25.22
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 30
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 50
    Childcare/nursery....................... 70 (this will disappear in April as child 3 gets free 15 hours)
    Other child related expenses............ 81.85 (music/swimming lessons x2, cubs and beavers, National Trust membership as they love visiting them)
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 5
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 0
    Buildings insurance..................... 27.07
    Contents insurance...................... 0
    Life assurance ......................... 16.26
    Other insurance......................... 0
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 90
    Haircuts................................ 20
    Entertainment........................... 135
    Holiday................................. 75
    Emergency fund.......................... 25
    Total monthly expenses.................. 2707.29

Assets

Cash.................................... 0
    House value (Gross)..................... 210000
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 800
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 210800

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Mortgage...................... 173733...(698)......3.14
    Total secured & HP debts...... 173733....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Barclaycard....................6880.21...156...... .0
    MBNA...........................9614.71...98....... .0
    Parental loan..................20000.....0.........0 (see notes below)
    Tesco loan.....................21000.....377.......10
    Total unsecured debts..........57494.92..631.......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 3,153.86
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 2,707.29
    Available for debt repayments........... 446.57
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 631
    Amount short for making debt repayments. -184.43

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 210,800
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -173,733
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -57,494.92
    Net Assets.............................. -20,427.92

Created using the SOA calculator at stoozing.
    Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using other browser.

Regarding the (relatively) high clothes expense, it is a combination of 3 growing children (8, 6 and 3), plus the fact that my job is in the fashion industry, and as a self employed person I need to have the right sort of 'look' in order to get work (think along the lines of a self employed personal shopper - people need to see you looking good in order to book with you).

The parental loan was for a house deposit. The parent in question has no idea about our debts. She is not desperate for the money back and isn't charging us interest, but has asked us to save 150-200 every month into a savings account and then once we've saved a decent sum to either repay them or 'reborrow' it for work on the house (basically they want us to be able to make repayments if they suddenly need the extra income, but meanwhile are happy for us to benefit from it. I am not saving the money while our debt payments are so high - we are hoping to have paid enough off that if the parent ever needs it that we can reborrow it and pay them back). This isn't great, but realistically I think the best solutions is to treat it as the lowest priority for snowballing - once we have paid back the other debts we will throw the entire 630+ at this debt.

So, there is a freaking enormous shortfall every month, which is somewhat depressing. Most months it is covered by the fact that I earn more than my 'bare minimum', but it is those months where it isn't covered that the debt creeps up again, and I am a total disaster for going 'oh well, we've spent on the credit card, we might as well keep going' and buying more clothes or something for the house - this is probably a significant proportion of our debt problem.

We have managed to get rid of the balance on the one credit card we were spending on, so the remaining ones are both on 0% deals (although one expires in September). I have not cut up the remaining credit card, because we don't have an emergency fund in case of eg boiler repairs, but it has not been used for all of a month, and I hope to keep it that way.

A DMP or similar isn't really on my horizon right now - I feel like we should be able to make the cuts to make our budgets balance, and I am optimistic that as my income goes up (when I can work more as child 3 starts school) that we will be able to make overpayments.

My plan for now is:
    1) Try to wiggle those budget numbers around enough that we don't have a shortfall any more.
    2) Make a plan for any months where I make extra - do I use it for an emergency fund, as a fund to cover future months' shortfalls, to throw money at the debt to try to reduce minimum payments in case of future 'shortfall' months?
    3) Try to make more money. Not quite sure how this will work as I am largely limited to working around DH's working hours (I work evenings and weekends and the 5hrs childcare per week we are paying for for child 3).

Now that's all down in black and white I am feeling a combination of relieved (to be clear on the numbers) and immensely stressed (by the semi-regular 180+ shortfall).

Onwards and downwards (for the debt, not me)!

edited to add: the original 67,031.92 figure was based on the total figure for the Tesco loan, which included all interest payable over the entire term of the loan. I have updated the debt figure in my signature and in all posts going forward as at 4th June 2017 to reflect that actual current debt balance rather than the balance plus interest over the lifetime of the loan. This has knocked 7,911.62 off the debt figure, but means that each monthly payment will have the interest for that month deducted from it, so it won't affect the DFD if I don't make overpayments.
    Last edited by Treadingonplaymobil; 04-06-2017 at 2:58 PM.
Page 135
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 6th Mar 18, 6:08 AM
    • 1,579 Posts
    • 15,323 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Week 56: Day 2

Woop, made a payment on the barclaycard this morning, bringing the balance down to 11,613.48. Can't wait to see this card under the 10k barrier, but I'll settle for under 11,500 first.

Feeling slightly ill this morning - sore throat and streaming nose. The younger two DC have something similar (just slight sore throats for them), although both were perfectly happy to go to school/preschool yesterday. Hoping neither of them wake up feeling worse this morning. I'm supposed to be meeting a friend in a nearby city today (trying to work out where we can sit for lunch so I can take a packed lunch and she can buy one from M&S, as it's freezing cold for sitting outside but I don't want to go to a cafe or restaurant and spend money).

Eco news: I made a couple of cloth bags yesterday for storing/freezing my homemade bread yesterday, in an effort to cut down on the plastic waste. We used to freeze them in ziplock bags, but I am experimenting with freezing and storing them wrapped in a tea towel inside a cloth bag. It's pleasingly frugal too, as I won't need to buy any more ziplocks ever again - even though we reused each one a few times, my mum usually ends up taking a couple each time she comes (she will return cloth bags in a way she wouldn't bother to with plastic ones) and it still all adds up. I already had the fabric so it was totally free. I used a bento bag pattern and am also going to try some drawstring ones, and am going to make some more 'tea towels' for wrapping loaves in inside the bags from a load of fine linen/cotton mix I had kicking around.

Three things to do today
    1. Confirm dates for DC2 and 3 parties.
    2. Sort childcare for a work enquiry for later in the month.
    3. Pack orders for smaller business.

Debt repayment:
    - 16.22/31 March rounding down pot (extra 10 sent over to this pot from my business account).
    - 1,608.78/5,000 2018 debt repayment goal.
    Last edited by Treadingonplaymobil; 06-03-2018 at 7:46 AM.
    67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017: 38,608 unsecured debt/20,000 parental loan/173,282 mortgage = 231,890
    debt on 13th May 2018: 13,648.58 unsecured debt/20,000 parental loan/192,680.11 mortgage = 226,328.69
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 6th Mar 18, 1:40 PM
    • 1,701 Posts
    • 9,159 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I have been looking at the waxed cloth wraps you can buy for storing food - they are very pretty! For now I'm holding off as I think I would need quite a few, addicted as I am to small amounts of things being kept for another day.

I would imagine the main problems with freezing things in cloth might be things drying out or the cloth getting frosty and sticking to other things. It will be interesting to see how your experiment goes! (Be sure to patent it and make your fortune from the results ). I do use cloth bags for potatoes and onions. I also have one for mushrooms which I forgot once and came back to rather good dried mushrooms!
    MFW #30 Paid off 1,622.77/3770 as of 4/5/18
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 7th Mar 18, 5:25 AM
    • 1,579 Posts
    • 15,323 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Week 56: Day 3

Bleurgh, I am ILL. As is DC3, and DC2 is heading in the same direction. Really nasty head colds, snuffly and headachey and DC3 has earache too, which I'll phone the doctor about if it's ongoing when she gets up this morning. Have barely slept.

Yesterday's list
    1. Confirm dates for DC2 and 3 parties.
    2. Sort childcare for a work enquiry for later in the month. Whoops.
    3. Pack orders for smaller business. Double whoops.

Annoyingly, I think I need to do a food shop today in order to cook dinner, as we are very much out of food. Should be fun dragging poorly DC3 round the shop .

Not going to be too ambitious with my list today as I can't see DC3 going to preschool after the night we've had.

Three things to do today
    1. Sort childcare for a work enquiry for later in the month.
    2. Pack orders for smaller business.
    3. Clear work emails.

Debt repayment:
    - 16.50/31 March rounding down pot (extra 10 sent over to this pot from my business account).
    Last edited by Treadingonplaymobil; 07-03-2018 at 5:48 AM.
    67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017: 38,608 unsecured debt/20,000 parental loan/173,282 mortgage = 231,890
    debt on 13th May 2018: 13,648.58 unsecured debt/20,000 parental loan/192,680.11 mortgage = 226,328.69
    • debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 7th Mar 18, 6:13 AM
    • 1,223 Posts
    • 4,625 Thanks
    debtaghh
    Hope you all feel better soon.
    Debt 16th October 2017: Cc 49,987- family 37,561: total debt 87549

Current debt: Cc 44,810 , Family 39,417 total debt 84,227

Frugal living challenge # 10- 8000 presents/ food/ entertainment/clothes/shoes/haircuts
    • warby68
    • By warby68 7th Mar 18, 6:24 AM
    • 937 Posts
    • 9,557 Thanks
    warby68
    Take it easy, the early school years are a nuisance for bugs which are freely shared.

A day of rest at the beginning rather than pressing on does seem to shorten the duration of these things.

I have the joy of sons doing both GCSEs and A Levels in the same year which is proving tense at times as they vie for who is under most pressure and somehow therefore deserves to do the least at home, not that they do masses on a good day
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 7th Mar 18, 9:13 AM
    • 1,701 Posts
    • 9,159 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I'll second Warby's comment about resting as much as possible - I had something similar recently and time spent resting seemed to be paid back in quicker recovery, though it knocked me for six at first. Get the shopping then tuck everyone up on the sofa with a blanket and DVD?

Get well soon x
    • JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 7th Mar 18, 9:44 AM
    • 1,784 Posts
    • 6,538 Thanks
    JoJoC
    Hope you're rid of the germs soon. Do only what you MUST today and rest up.
    CC1: 4481.14/ 5031.14 (12% paid off, 600) | CC2:3307/ 3807 (14.4% paid off, 550) | Loan: 10,528.20/ 15,792.30((33% paid off, 5,264))

July debt total: 24,630.44 | New debt total: 18,316.34 | Total debt paid: 6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 7th Mar 18, 2:06 PM
    • 1,579 Posts
    • 15,323 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    What a thoroughly tedious day I am having. DC3 is thoroughly grumpy, and I'm not much better. Have managed to pop to the shops, but that's it. Oh, and slice a great big chunk out of one finger while preparing dinner, but the less said about that the better I think.
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 7th Mar 18, 8:01 PM
    • 1,579 Posts
    • 15,323 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Well my self-pity party is still in full swing over here. Can't remember the last time I felt so thoroughly rough. I don't usually take medicine - I find if I do I carry on doing everything and don't rest, and end up even more I'll - but today has had me heading for the (Sainsbury's own, no pricey beechams nonsense here) cold and flu remedy.

In slightly less dreary news, the architect came this evening and all seems really positive. He's got an idea for creating a little more space that I hadn't thought of, so the next step is for him to sketch up a few ideas and we'll see whic one makes the most sense to move forward with. We also crawled into the eaves space (currently inaccessible except through a hatch, and unfloored) and it is MASSIVE. Really shows how much unused space there is even in our titchy little house. It's also nice to know that we have 600 in our extensions savings pot ready for his next bill, and that is going up by at least 285 a month.

Made beef stew and dumplings for dinner tonight - so rare for us to have meat, it felt like a real treat! I decided we all needed a bit of extra nourishment so bought 1.5lb of beef skirt at the butchers (which was shrink wrapped. Why?! When they butcher their own beef! Going to try another butcher next time) and made a huge stew with loads of root veg - we've only eaten half, if that, plenty left for another day. Also had a first attempt at the sourdough crackers while I had the oven on for flapjacks for the DCs. SO GOOD. I ate the whole of the first half dozen straight out of the oven!

Three things to do today
    3. Clear work emails.

Debt repayment:
    - 17.38/31 March rounding down pot.
    • PositiveBalance
    • By PositiveBalance 7th Mar 18, 8:04 PM
    • 710 Posts
    • 3,628 Thanks
    PositiveBalance
    Get well soon! *Dashes off before she gets infected*
    Original debt to source: 11,640.02; debt repaid: 6201.01 (53%); remaining debt: 5439.01
    0% CC balance: 4999.67 now 3997.54
    Emergency Fund (#187): 0/1000
    Terrimundi: 30.00ish
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 7th Mar 18, 8:24 PM
    • 1,701 Posts
    • 9,159 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I hope the finger mends soon. It sounds like the sort of injury that's more likely when we are distracted, poorly or hurried so I'm doubly glad the stew will last two days - you are obviously using most of your resources just to get through. And if instinct is saying 'meat', then hearty casserole it is. I must say I really admire your ability to do so much when you're feeling rotten.

Good to hear about the architect and the sourdough crackers though (in no particular order).
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 8th Mar 18, 5:50 AM
    • 1,579 Posts
    • 15,323 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Week 56: Day 4

I'm feeling about 3% less horrific than yesterday, and have to drive 90 minutes to spend the day working hard with clients today . I am going to be taking All The Drugs (erm, legal ones, obv) to get through this one. And I have awful period pain, for added fun.

Annoyed at being ill - between the snow last week and illness this week I am miles behind on hunting down any work which might earn extra money. Not going to be an impressive income month.

In fractionally brighter news, some stock I ordered was less expensive than expected, so I had another 38 to put towards the DCs' birthday pot, which now sits at 166.

Three things to do today
    1. Order stock for work.
    2. Try not to collapse in a small tired heap on the floor.
    3. Email some info to the architect that he needs

Debt repayment:
    - 18.22/31 March rounding down pot.
    Last edited by Treadingonplaymobil; 08-03-2018 at 5:57 AM.
    • Onebrokelady
    • By Onebrokelady 8th Mar 18, 9:18 AM
    • 362 Posts
    • 978 Thanks
    Onebrokelady
    Well my self-pity party is still in full swing over here. Can't remember the last time I felt so thoroughly rough. I don't usually take medicine - I find if I do I carry on doing everything and don't rest, and end up even more I'll - but today has had me heading for the (Sainsbury's own, no pricey beechams nonsense here) cold and flu remedy.

In slightly less dreary news, the architect came this evening and all seems really positive. He's got an idea for creating a little more space that I hadn't thought of, so the next step is for him to sketch up a few ideas and we'll see whic one makes the most sense to move forward with. We also crawled into the eaves space (currently inaccessible except through a hatch, and unfloored) and it is MASSIVE. Really shows how much unused space there is even in our titchy little house. It's also nice to know that we have 600 in our extensions savings pot ready for his next bill, and that is going up by at least 285 a month.

Made beef stew and dumplings for dinner tonight - so rare for us to have meat, it felt like a real treat! I decided we all needed a bit of extra nourishment so bought 1.5lb of beef skirt at the butchers (which was shrink wrapped. Why?! When they butcher their own beef! Going to try another butcher next time) and made a huge stew with loads of root veg - we've only eaten half, if that, plenty left for another day. Also had a first attempt at the sourdough crackers while I had the oven on for flapjacks for the DCs. SO GOOD. I ate the whole of the first half dozen straight out of the oven!

Three things to do today
    3. Clear work emails.

Debt repayment:
    - 17.38/31 March rounding down pot.
    Originally posted by Treadingonplaymobil
    Our local butcher has some meat delivered from outside so that might explain the shrink wrap and after sitting on the bus watching them bring the pigs in from the lorry Im not sure I would want it not wrapped,the man had the pig on his shoulder and it was pressed up against his very spotty face as he was carrying it in
    Hope you all have a swift recovery from the lurgy,there are some nasty bugs doing the rounds at the moment xx
    Just keep swimming
    Original Debt Owed Jan 18 = 17,630 Paid To Date = 636.00 Total Now Owed = 16,994
    Emergency Fund = 400.00 Xmas savings = 200.00
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 8th Mar 18, 12:04 PM
    • 1,701 Posts
    • 9,159 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    the man had the pig on his shoulder and it was pressed up against his very spotty face as he was carrying it in
    Originally posted by Onebrokelady
    Urgh. Just the sort of thing they do cartoons about to illustrate bad HACCP practice!
    • YORKSHIRELASS
    • By YORKSHIRELASS 8th Mar 18, 4:58 PM
    • 4,558 Posts
    • 37,994 Thanks
    YORKSHIRELASS
    Hi

Hope you dont mind but I stumbled across your diary, read a little and was inspired. We are hugely in debt too, have had several small lightbulb moments over the years but the last six months or so have made me realise that big changes have to be made.

You sound so positive, this is what I struggle with - not allowing it to get me down. At the moment I am really tackling my "its only a fiver it doesnt matter" mentality, every penny really does count when you are in debt.

So if its not a bit strange I would like to say thank you, you made me feel a bit better about things.
    • mfmaybe
    • By mfmaybe 8th Mar 18, 5:44 PM
    • 1,104 Posts
    • 3,520 Thanks
    mfmaybe
    Originally posted by Treadingonplaymobil
    Worth knowing that the Aldi cold and flu was very good (and cheap!) DH and I both had awful lurgy recently and bought this in desperation. I am converted.
    BTL Overpayments since 20/4 5.90

AFD May 11/15 NSD May 8/10

Other debts paid since 1/1/14: 17,005
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 8th Mar 18, 5:53 PM
    • 1,579 Posts
    • 8,576 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    I second the Aldi medication recommendation - if you look at the ingredients they are all much the same once you are comparing similar products.
    Hope you get better soon TOPM, some of these lurgies seem to have such sticking power.
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 9th Mar 18, 5:44 AM
    • 1,579 Posts
    • 15,323 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Week 56: Day 5

Well I survived yesterday, more or less. Just need to limp through today, then have clients tomorrow (waaaah) then I can collapse in a messy heap and rest again. This is the downside of self employment, particularly client facing and particularly when you don't have childcare on tap - there is no real opportunity to take a sick day unless you can afford to cancel and refund clients, which I can't, and when you are sick you might also have the added joy of looking after a poorly child too, so even less time to slow down and rest. I know that if I'd been able to just STOP at the beginning of the week, maybe take to my bed for a day or two, I'd be better now. Instead I'm limping through, and can feel my usual post-cold sinus infection kicking in (I always get these after any form of congestion) so I will have a horrible exploding head feeling for a few days once all my other symptoms subside. Urgh, I hate being ill. Lucky it happens so rarely, I don't think I've even had a cold since the autumn.

MS news - not much really. Haven't made any impressive sums of money this week, haven't really spent wildly either, budget is just ticking along. Need to order DC2 and 3's presents in the next few days, then see how much budget there is left for party stuff. Hopefully I'll make a little more money and be able to send some more over to the party budget pot before I need to spend it.

Three things to do today
    1. Pack orders for smaller business
    2. Email info to architect.
    3. Prep for clients tomorrow

Debt repayment:
    - 18.38/31 March rounding down pot.
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 9th Mar 18, 9:32 AM
    • 1,701 Posts
    • 9,159 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Keep up the fluids and plenty of vitamins... hope you are feeling better soon. x
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 10th Mar 18, 6:08 AM
    • 1,579 Posts
    • 15,323 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Week 56: Day 6

Morning! Finally feeling a bit more human, thank goodness. Not at 100% by any means, but definitely feel I'm on the mend.

Slight irritation this morning - was reconciling receipts and noticed that DH is buying sandwiches and snacks when he fills up the car, at maybe 4 a pop, affecting both the diesel budget and his waistline. I was going to go and have a big go at him about it, but I have done that before to little effect (he struggles with his weight, and this picking up of huge unhealthy snacks at random moments is historically one of the key reasons why). Instead I am going to keep checking the receipts and assigning any food he buys to his personal kitty, and when he asks why it's all depleted in a few weeks time I will tell him. I think that will actually make it hit home for him much more than just nagging over a couple of quid here and there. He is theoretically saving up for new clothes, but between the vending machine at work and these 4 food outlays when he fills up the car, he has already spent almost a tenner of his kitty this month, and he only gets 40, of which a tenner goes on apple music. Irritating, but he needs to see the effect to understand why I go on about these little spends I think.

Also, I would actually like to up our food budget - the increasing food prices are really affecting what we can buy, and I have really noticed the increase in DC1 and 2's appetites over the past year - DC1 now eats almost exactly what I do, and DC2 isn't far behind. We are eating really not as much variety and interest as I would like. The DC are just plain bored of the endless vegetarian/lentil soup/stew meals, (although I'm quite happy with them!) and I think need a little more variety, as it has got to the stage where they are choosing to not eat their evening meal more often than I would like (they know not to complain, but really I would prefer it if they took more joy in our family meal together). If the diesel budget is being partly used up on DH's snacks, then the reduction in that if I assign snacks to his personal spends might allow for a slight increase in food budget. Our current food budget is 400 a month, which is only 2.67 per person per day in a 30 day month, or 80 per week for all five of us (including toiletries and cleaning products too, although those will be separated out from March onwards). I think upping it to 450 would be ideal, but even 425 would be manageable as it would allow for one or two slightly more interesting meals a week, like a piece of fish each with veg and potatoes, rather than stretching two tins of fish found five of us with fishcakes or similar.

The food budget debate is interesting for me, as I feel like I have 'proven' I can do a lower food budget (2.21 per person per day in Feb), but I also feel it's turning out fairly joyless for us, and actually just getting the food budget to come in lower and lower isn't necessarily the right thing to do. But the process of getting it down to properly low levels has taught me a huge amount, and I'm perfectly happy with all the cooking from scratch we do.

Clients coming today so need to get on and get the house (and myself ready)!

Three things to do today
    1. Get house ready for clients.
    2. Menu plan for next week.
    3. Plan work for tomorrow - SO much to catch up on after snow and illness.

Debt repayment:
    - 18.38/31 March rounding down pot.
    Last edited by Treadingonplaymobil; 10-03-2018 at 6:40 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,521Posts Today

9,041Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin