Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 12th Feb 17, 9:56 AM
    • 1,501Posts
    • 14,577Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed....
    • 12th Feb 17, 9:56 AM
    67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed.... 12th Feb 17 at 9:56 AM
    67,031.92. Seriously. 67,031.92. That is a SCARY number. I can't believe our debt has peaked (and it is the peak, I am determined) at this level.

Our light bulb moment actually happened a few months back, but it's taken since then of wrangling utilities and carefully watching out income/outgoings (using You Need a Budget) to really figure out where we were overspending and how the monthly shortfall of anything from 200-1,000+ was happening.

We have literally nothing to show for this debt, it's just crept up over the past 8 years or so, and has always been at manageable levels, but back in October we realised we were spending more on credit cards each month than we were paying off.

We committed that cardinal sin of taking out a consolidation loan, but alongside it we looked really carefully at our spending over the next couple of months, budgeted realistically for what we spend and have (I think) picked off all the easy 'low hanging fruit' of budget cuts and really identified why we were overspending.

The main reason for the debt is, erm, me. Not that I'm the biggest spender (neither of us are amazing), but because I am self employed with a hugely variable income and basically worked out our budgets on the basis I would always earn my 'best' month's income. Which was, with hindsight, maybe a TINY bit deluded.

The aim of this diary is to keep us on track with actually reducing our debt every single month, not doing it in a three steps forward, two (or four) steps back sort of way. Having sat down and put our numbers into the whatsthecost site, it appears that we are looking at 7 years and 1 month of repayments to clear the debt (and that's assuming we can get rid of the shortfall showing below). I REALLY want to reduce this term as that just seems bonkers.

SOA below, with a couple of explanatory notes.

Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet

Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 2
    Number of children in household......... 3
    Number of cars owned.................... 1

Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 250 (variable, but this is the minimum I have earned in any month in the last 5 years)
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 2711.86
    Benefits................................ 192
    Other income............................ 0
    Total monthly income.................... 3153.86

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 698
    Secured/HP loan repayments.............. 0
    Rent.................................... 0
    Management charge (leasehold property).. 0
    Council tax............................. 174 (including overpayment for a period when we messed up during a house move 18 months ago and didn't restart the direct debit for the new property. Will drop by a little under 50 after either March or April, can't remember which)
    Electricity............................. 52 (gas and electricity are one combined DD, I haven't checked the exact split but the total is 104)
    Gas..................................... 52
    Oil..................................... 0
    Water rates............................. 104 (also including a debt from previous property, but I think this will be included for another 6 months or so. I'm not sure what our actual usage is)
    Telephone (land line)................... 18.5 (includes internet)
    Mobile phone............................ 85 (45 for my contract, which I use for work as well, 40 for DH)
    TV Licence.............................. 12.12
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 0
    Internet Services....................... 0 (included in landline cost)
    Groceries etc. ......................... 520 (Includes 40 for one lot of school lunches. I am REALLY struggling to reduce this, but feel I could and should be able to!)
    Clothing................................ 100 (growing children, plus see notes below re clothes)
    Petrol/diesel........................... 225 (90% DH commuting costs)
    Road tax................................ 16.27
    Car Insurance........................... 25.22
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 30
    Car parking............................. 0
    Other travel............................ 50
    Childcare/nursery....................... 70 (this will disappear in April as child 3 gets free 15 hours)
    Other child related expenses............ 81.85 (music/swimming lessons x2, cubs and beavers, National Trust membership as they love visiting them)
    Medical (prescriptions, dentist etc).... 5
    Pet insurance/vet bills................. 0
    Buildings insurance..................... 27.07
    Contents insurance...................... 0
    Life assurance ......................... 16.26
    Other insurance......................... 0
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 90
    Haircuts................................ 20
    Entertainment........................... 135
    Holiday................................. 75
    Emergency fund.......................... 25
    Total monthly expenses.................. 2707.29

Assets

Cash.................................... 0
    House value (Gross)..................... 210000
    Shares and bonds........................ 0
    Car(s).................................. 800
    Other assets............................ 0
    Total Assets............................ 210800

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Mortgage...................... 173733...(698)......3.14
    Total secured & HP debts...... 173733....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Barclaycard....................6880.21...156...... .0
    MBNA...........................9614.71...98....... .0
    Parental loan..................20000.....0.........0 (see notes below)
    Tesco loan.....................21000.....377.......10
    Total unsecured debts..........57494.92..631.......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 3,153.86
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 2,707.29
    Available for debt repayments........... 446.57
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 631
    Amount short for making debt repayments. -184.43

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 210,800
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -173,733
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -57,494.92
    Net Assets.............................. -20,427.92

Created using the SOA calculator at stoozing.
    Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using other browser.

Regarding the (relatively) high clothes expense, it is a combination of 3 growing children (8, 6 and 3), plus the fact that my job is in the fashion industry, and as a self employed person I need to have the right sort of 'look' in order to get work (think along the lines of a self employed personal shopper - people need to see you looking good in order to book with you).

The parental loan was for a house deposit. The parent in question has no idea about our debts. She is not desperate for the money back and isn't charging us interest, but has asked us to save 150-200 every month into a savings account and then once we've saved a decent sum to either repay them or 'reborrow' it for work on the house (basically they want us to be able to make repayments if they suddenly need the extra income, but meanwhile are happy for us to benefit from it. I am not saving the money while our debt payments are so high - we are hoping to have paid enough off that if the parent ever needs it that we can reborrow it and pay them back). This isn't great, but realistically I think the best solutions is to treat it as the lowest priority for snowballing - once we have paid back the other debts we will throw the entire 630+ at this debt.

So, there is a freaking enormous shortfall every month, which is somewhat depressing. Most months it is covered by the fact that I earn more than my 'bare minimum', but it is those months where it isn't covered that the debt creeps up again, and I am a total disaster for going 'oh well, we've spent on the credit card, we might as well keep going' and buying more clothes or something for the house - this is probably a significant proportion of our debt problem.

We have managed to get rid of the balance on the one credit card we were spending on, so the remaining ones are both on 0% deals (although one expires in September). I have not cut up the remaining credit card, because we don't have an emergency fund in case of eg boiler repairs, but it has not been used for all of a month, and I hope to keep it that way.

A DMP or similar isn't really on my horizon right now - I feel like we should be able to make the cuts to make our budgets balance, and I am optimistic that as my income goes up (when I can work more as child 3 starts school) that we will be able to make overpayments.

My plan for now is:
    1) Try to wiggle those budget numbers around enough that we don't have a shortfall any more.
    2) Make a plan for any months where I make extra - do I use it for an emergency fund, as a fund to cover future months' shortfalls, to throw money at the debt to try to reduce minimum payments in case of future 'shortfall' months?
    3) Try to make more money. Not quite sure how this will work as I am largely limited to working around DH's working hours (I work evenings and weekends and the 5hrs childcare per week we are paying for for child 3).

Now that's all down in black and white I am feeling a combination of relieved (to be clear on the numbers) and immensely stressed (by the semi-regular 180+ shortfall).

Onwards and downwards (for the debt, not me)!

edited to add: the original 67,031.92 figure was based on the total figure for the Tesco loan, which included all interest payable over the entire term of the loan. I have updated the debt figure in my signature and in all posts going forward as at 4th June 2017 to reflect that actual current debt balance rather than the balance plus interest over the lifetime of the loan. This has knocked 7,911.62 off the debt figure, but means that each monthly payment will have the interest for that month deducted from it, so it won't affect the DFD if I don't make overpayments.
    Last edited by Treadingonplaymobil; 04-06-2017 at 2:58 PM.
Page 126
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 13th Feb 18, 7:10 AM
    • 1,501 Posts
    • 14,577 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    February's lists

Since I'm going to keep a longer list and check in with it weekly, I'm going to divide it up into sections so I can more clearly see how I'm getting on in different areas. I'm sure I'll add to these in the coming days.

Home/Family
    1. Play around with designs in preparation for the architect's visit in early March.
    2. Eat the contents of the freezer and defrost it.
    3. Declutter and organise the utility room.
    4. Sort through all the stuff I've decluttered from various rooms and store the children's stuff that needs to be kept for a month or two to see if they ask for it. Charity shop the rest.
    5. Keep on top of packed lunches and make sure we have sufficient for a few days at any time, especially as the freezer gets lower.
    6. Repaint the bathroom tiles - the tile paint is peeling off (we are avoiding doing any proper work in this bathroom until we know whether it is being moved in the course of the extension). I HATE the bathroom, find it utterly depressing.
    7. Spend an hour tidying up outside the front of the house. I need to do some proper gardening once the weather warms up, but it needs a bit of TLC before then.
    8. DH finish the fencing at the front of the house.
    9. Sew buttons and loops on DC1's new coat to hold the inner fleece onto the cuffs (DC1 loves the coat apart from this).
    10. Plan veg planting.
    11. Put the word out about needing a little trailer for camping.
    12. Mend DC3's dressing up costume (Elsa's plait is coming loose...).
    13. Buy cheaper spoons for packed lunches - the DC have been taking in our proper cutlery and I'm fairly sure we've lost one or two of our nice (not cheap) spoons.

Me
    1. Stick to three things on my daily list at any one time.
    2. Keep it SLOW. A steady half term without too much over-commitment and then taking lots of care of myself the following week, which is very busy with work.
    3. Keep up a fuller yoga practice - it has been a real challenge to get back into this after neglecting it horribly at the end of last year, but I feel I'm settling back into more of a routine.
    4. Finish handmade presents for friend's imminent baby.
    5. Plan handmade presents for DC2 and 3 birthdays in March and ensure I have any supplies needed.
    6. Try to plan in a night away from the DC with DH. We haven't had an evening out or a night away from them for over 18 months and I think we should try to make it happen. Maybe they could go to my mum's in the Easter holidays for a couple of days, although I'd like to do something a bit more 'special' than just loiter at home without them. But needs to be on budget .

Work
    1. Go through who I'm following on social media for work and make sure they're relevant to my business so I'm not wasting time when on social media.
    2. 10% growth on my main social media platform (293 followers).
    3. A new blog post for my website.
    4. Declutter my work cupboard and clear out any un-needed junk.
    5. Confirm childcare for March and April so I can make dates available for clients.

MSE
    1. 28 minimum overpayment from rounding down YNAB pots.
    2. Sort out the Partnership/Virgin balance transfer and change name of Partnership card if necessary.
    3. List wooden marble run on eBay (as you all know, I loathe the hassle of selling things, but this might actually get some sensible money).
    4. Don't raid the savings pots!
    5. Move my rounding down savings pots over from my business account in the middle of the month and again at the end (I operate the same system there, with rounding down split between a debt overpayment and an extensions savings pot).
    6. When doing March's budget at the end of the month try to put some money by for train ticket to London for my dad's birthday meal. I have the price of the meal covered.
    67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt
    LBM debt on 12th Feb 2017/DFD: 58,608.13/Dec 2026
    debt on 6th Apr 2018: 34,168.99/Feb 2026

Mortgage = c.192,200
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 13th Feb 18, 8:06 AM
    • 4,964 Posts
    • 39,123 Thanks
    DawnW
    Presumably the pricey knitting pattern can be used again for other baby presents?
    NSDs for April: 10 / 15

• Purplemumof2
    • By Purplemumof2 13th Feb 18, 8:29 AM
    • 6,025 Posts
    • 22,019 Thanks
    Purplemumof2
    Morning,

That looks like a doable list.

Have a great day xx
    Official DFW Nerd Club - Member no. 791 - Proud to be dealing with my debts
    MBNA: 6500.00 Cap 1: 417.28 BC: 8224.59 (temporary)
    AFD xxx LTW 14/16
    POAMAYC 2018 #041 PD 3790.84/7000
    Savings for Christmas 131.00/365
    20p Savers 2018 2 Savers 2018 50p Savers 2018 SPC 11 2018 #003
    • warby68
    • By warby68 13th Feb 18, 8:35 AM
    • 928 Posts
    • 9,524 Thanks
    warby68
    Did you really NEED the 4.20 baby pattern or just WANT that one as opposed to the myriad free ones or one you already had?

Just throwing it out there
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 13th Feb 18, 8:43 AM
    • 1,501 Posts
    • 14,577 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Did you really NEED the 4.20 baby pattern or just WANT that one as opposed to the myriad free ones or one you already had?

Just throwing it out there
    Originally posted by warby68
    If I'd had one, believe me I wouldn't have spent 4.20 on one! The only one I had was for much finer yarn, and the pattern was cheaper (and less wasteful) than replacing the yarn. The regret is that I'm sure I could have found a cheaper/free one if I'd been more organised and done it further in advance, as it's a really basic pattern. On the less gloomy side, at least it has a few size options so I can make a bigger size for the same baby for Christmas, and if anyone else has a baby they're all getting this pattern knitted - it's a lovely easy knit and quite quick as the wool is DK so thick-ish (I usually knit with fingering weight, so everything takes forever!).
    67,031.92 is a frightening number indeed... The debt free diary of one family and their enormous debt

Mortgage = c.192,200
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 13th Feb 18, 8:53 AM
    • 1,683 Posts
    • 9,973 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    All sounding very positive, your lists are all very achievable.

Do you find that motorway travel is becoming more and more stressful. We have had a few bad journeys going south in the last 12 months.

As for the knitting pattern, if you are like me I have mine for years. The one I am using at the moment is 55 yrs old , the one my mum knitted from when she was expecting me. New ones are expensive though but sometimes wants must !
    CC1 3655 April 2018.
    • warby68
    • By warby68 13th Feb 18, 3:28 PM
    • 928 Posts
    • 9,524 Thanks
    warby68
    If I'd had one, believe me I wouldn't have spent 4.20 on one! The only one I had was for much finer yarn, and the pattern was cheaper (and less wasteful) than replacing the yarn. The regret is that I'm sure I could have found a cheaper/free one if I'd been more organised and done it further in advance, as it's a really basic pattern. On the less gloomy side, at least it has a few size options so I can make a bigger size for the same baby for Christmas, and if anyone else has a baby they're all getting this pattern knitted - it's a lovely easy knit and quite quick as the wool is DK so thick-ish (I usually knit with fingering weight, so everything takes forever!).
    Originally posted by Treadingonplaymobil
    I was only teasing you a bit in case there was a washing up bowl scenario going on ( but you've made a really good point - that it came about because you were 'last minute'. That's so true of a lot of things where planning ahead gets you cheap or free and last minute means you pay through the nose. Simple stuff like not letting things run out so you HAVE to buy the replacement as full price because you can't then wait for the offer. Great for branded stuff which has a regular cycle of offers. Obviously you need a bit of spare budget as well to be able to stock up just a little or buy ahead on offers. Maybe this will be something else your SLOWER year 2 and your non-raided savings pots will bring - Christmas is a great example where you can save a fortune by buying certain things earlier.
    • ellen vannin
    • By ellen vannin 13th Feb 18, 4:00 PM
    • 204 Posts
    • 952 Thanks
    ellen vannin
    I agree totally with Warby - last minute purchases are always more expensive.

You are doing well very well , mindset has changed a lot in the year. However some of your purchases still need more consideration in my opinion. But only you know your life and how things work - in the end it comes down to how much you want the extension?

Planning ahead when you have time always saves money - I have bought Xmas cards and tags for pence in Wh Smiths and M and S in the last week.

Having said that I really enjoy reading your diary every day - it makes me consider my own purchases more.
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 13th Feb 18, 8:27 PM
    • 1,501 Posts
    • 14,577 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Week 53: Day 2

Bleurgh, not feeling the half term love today. Two of the DC were absolutely miserable for about 60% of the day, just grotty and tired and teary, and it was an afternoon of minor injuries, tantrums and general unrest. Fingers crossed they wake up on the right side of bed tomorrow!

The sweetcorn fritters we had for dinner (with pancakes for pudding, of course) were yum, it's a great mega cheap recipe. Used up the end of a bag of frozen sweet potato fries and some normal fries too.

Nothing more to write, slightly wiped out by my day!

Three things to do today
    1. Menu plan. Done.
    2. Food shopping. Done, very cheaply although a few bits to buy in Sainsbury.s tomorrow.
    3. Plan work for this week for maximum efficiency in minimum time. Done. Not quite sure how it's all going to get done though.

Savings/Spends:
    - 36.52/28 February 'rounding down' overpayment pot (moved across the rounding down pot from my business account).
    - 1,046.80/5,000 2018 debt repayment goal.
    - 37.61 Aldi (food shopping). Probably need to spend a tenner more in Sainsburys on things like dried pulses, then that will get us through until Sunday.
    Last edited by Treadingonplaymobil; 14-02-2018 at 4:56 AM.

Mortgage = c.192,200
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 14th Feb 18, 1:20 AM
    • 1,622 Posts
    • 8,591 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I was only teasing you a bit in case there was a washing up bowl scenario going on.
    Originally posted by warby68
    One day, TOPM, you will write a book entitled "How I didn't buy a washing up bowl and saved 67,031.92 " and you will make a fortune and be featured on the front page of MSE.

Think it's time I went to bed.
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 14th Feb 18, 5:15 AM
    • 1,501 Posts
    • 14,577 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Week 53: Day 3

Cherryfudge I think you have chosen the title of my book . I frequently think of my fellow MSE-ers while doing the washing up in my ugly, cheap but very functional washing up bowl!

Up early, about to go and do my yoga, and really hoping for a slightly less stressful day today. Hoping DC3 in particular sleeps in a bit and wakes in a good mood. We've got a quiet morning then meeting a friend for a forest walk this afternoon, so hoping for a cheap day. Might pop into the supermarket and grab some juices on the way to save buying extortionate cafe juices. Feeling fairly poor after expensive meal and diesel on the way back from my dad's.

Forgot to mention, had a horrible moment with the car yesterday when it lost power going up a hill on the dual carriageway. Managed to pull over and turn the engine off and on again and it was fine, but it was a bit hairy, with all three DC in the car too. It needs to go in for a service anyway, but I do hope it isn't anything expensive to get it fixed. I will actually cry if it drains all of my savings pots. I wish we could manage to go long enough without dramas to get an emergency fund together. Will get DH to book it in for the next few days if possible.

I am waiting on payment for a client booking for next week which will, assuming it happens, take me (FINALLY) to three months' buffer in my business account, so I think rather than using what's left after topping up the buffer (about 70 I think) to overpay debt I'll shove it straight in the emergency fund to help towards the car service.

We attempted the Virgin/Partnership balance transfer again last night, hoping it goes through and I don't have to go through the performance of changing my name on my Partnership card.

I'm hoping I can get out of the financial doldrums today, and have a better day with the DC than I did yesterday.

Three things to do today
    1. Pack and post orders for smaller business.
    2. Arrange playdate for Friday.
    3. Focus properly on the DC when I can today, rather than being half hearted, in an attempt to kill-with-kindness any nascent tantrums!

Savings/Spends:
    - 37.68/28 February 'rounding down' overpayment pot (moved across the rounding down pot from my business account).
    - 1,046.80/5,000 2018 debt repayment goal.
    - 34.35 dinner in services on way home (from family entertainment budget)
    - 16.50 on scrapstore visit (9 membership for the year, 5 on scraps and 2.50 on foam paint rollers) (from Christmas budget).

Mortgage = c.192,200
    • warby68
    • By warby68 14th Feb 18, 5:53 AM
    • 928 Posts
    • 9,524 Thanks
    warby68
    Hope you have a better day ToPM - some days with little ones just have to be written off and most grumps are solved by a good sleep

I have the joy of an OH away, my car frozen solid when it does an interesting thing of refusing to let me open the front doors and I have to scramble in inelegantly from the back plus its a working day so 3h commute with doctor's visit at either end to add to the fun. All while my warring teenagers snooze peacefully for half term. I think your mood will have safely transferred to me today
    • cocalls
    • By cocalls 14th Feb 18, 6:13 AM
    • 841 Posts
    • 2,087 Thanks
    cocalls
    i'm sure there's a spoon monster pinching spoons in our house too, our local charity shop have a big box of assorted ones for the princely sum of 10p each, if yours are going to pack ups at school they dont need to match.
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 14th Feb 18, 8:32 AM
    • 796 Posts
    • 3,190 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Can you get teaspoons that have coloured handles? They won't get muddled up with school teaspoons and would hopefully be distinctive for your DCs to spot.

Hope you have a good day with your DCs. Feb half term can be tricky when inclement weather stops any outside activities.
    paydbx #93 642/8,000.
    Loan 17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans 3342 March 2017. 3123 in Jan 18
    • wishingthemortgaheaway
    • By wishingthemortgaheaway 14th Feb 18, 8:37 AM
    • 1,221 Posts
    • 5,598 Thanks
    wishingthemortgaheaway
    I used to get sent to school with the plastic spoons from the medicine bottles.
    Failing that, drill a hole in the end and tether it to the lunchboxes.
    The 100 payment countdown (each payment = 400) 2018 Starts at 13/100 o/s 34,750.
    Jan 18 14/100 Feb 15/100 March 18/100
    Term Mortgage free date: October 2029 Current mortgage free date: April 2025 March 2024 Jan 2024
    MFW 2018 Challenge Member #162 1400ish/2,500
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 14th Feb 18, 8:45 AM
    • 6,265 Posts
    • 12,438 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Cars can be budget breakers. I think that is wise to use your excess earnings to put into emergency fund now you have your 3 month buffer.

Sympathy on the grumpy DCs too. We had a clingy and grumpy 2 year old DGD most unhappy on Monday at all the noisy half term kids taking over "her" soft play at our country club. She normally has it to herself not sure how she is going to take to her new baby sister in a few months as she is firmly ensconced in the "mine" stage at the moment
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 14th Feb 18, 8:54 AM
    • 1,501 Posts
    • 14,577 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    Honeysucklelou2 good idea about coloured handle teaspoons. I will hunt in charity shop as cocalls suggests and see if I can find some coloured ones! It's the hassle as much as anything else, so even if they're only 10p I'd like to not just run out of them every few weeks.

Mortgage = c.192,200
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 14th Feb 18, 9:25 AM
    • 1,683 Posts
    • 9,973 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    When my children were at school , they had neon coloured ice cream spoons for packed lunches. We still have some left 20 years later. They are selling on Amazon for 4.99 for . 100 may seem excessive but they will last a very long time .
    CC1 3655 April 2018.
    • Treadingonplaymobil
    • By Treadingonplaymobil 14th Feb 18, 9:26 AM
    • 1,501 Posts
    • 14,577 Thanks
    Treadingonplaymobil
    On toilet roll and other household supplies...

I've been thinking about trying to reintegrate some more of the more planet- and people-friendly ideas that we used to stick to, but doing them in a way that honours our long term budget restrictions. Obviously going back to buying organic food is out of the question, but I've been researching a few areas where we can be a little bit more thoughtful.

Also related (bear with me), I've been thinking for a while that it would be good to even out some of our household costs in an effort to avoid the swinging pendulum of our food shopping bill - some weeks it can be only 50, whereas in a 'bad' household supplies week it can be more like 100. I'm going to try separating out some sort of household supplies budget from the main food budget, which can then be used for big purchases. I don't actually really know how much we spend on household stuff, so I'm going to start with taking 25 a month from the food budget from next month and see how we go from there.

The first one is toilet roll. Recycled supermarket toilet roll is usually fairly rubbish (or wildly expensive for the nicer stuff), but I've been reading good things about Who Gives A Crap (I wonder if the language censor will allow that brand name in there!) both in terms of their eco credentials and also the niceness of the toilet roll. And the price, while not ridiculously cheap, is comparable with the 'one rung up from standard own brand' toilet roll (not recycled, although most is FSC certified - how insane to be using new trees for bottom wiping though!), which is what we usually buy, as I find that anything cheaper than that we use up incredibly quickly as it's so thin. The quality vs quantity struggle is real when it comes to toilet roll .

I also like the fact that with WGAC as we get to grips with how often we need to replace things like toilet roll (they do tissues and kitchen roll too, although I don't find the supermarket versions of those so annoying) we can set up a 16/12/8 week subscription so it can just be budgeted as a monthly cost and come out regularly without any extra effort.

I had to buy toilet roll when I went to the shop yesterday, but if I can bring next week's shop in at a sensible budget I'm going to get a box of the WGAC toilet roll to give it a try.

I'm pleased to find something like this where the maths doesn't make it unfeasible, we can make a better choice as a family for the environment, and I can slot the cost in as a monthly budget category as I get to grips with it.

I'll post in the next few days on the maths and rationalising I did on a few other things, some successfully and some not.

Mortgage = c.192,200
    • hannh
    • By hannh 14th Feb 18, 11:01 AM
    • 30 Posts
    • 125 Thanks
    hannh
    That WGAC looks fab, thank you for suggesting! Will look into it properly later. For us, we buy the eco stuff at more expensive supermarkets and then inevitably spend extra whilst we are in the shop even though weve just gone in for toliet paper! So delivery will probably work out better
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,769Posts Today

8,800Users online

Martin's Twitter