I've been a victim of a Direct Debit Fraud - Barclay's will not refund me

Comments

• elsien wrote: »
    To be fair, I'm not sure how you expected Barclays fraud system to pick up the payments when you failed to do so yourself.

Do Barclays have a copy of the original direct debit set up?

Isn't their set up my first line of defense?
  • MyOnlyPost
    MyOnlyPost Posts: 1,562 Forumite
    edited 9 February 2017 at 8:05PM
    I cannot fathom how a DD could be set up on your account without your consent (By which I mean the bank would have to believe you had given consent). It seems to me that either you have been the victim of a phishing scam at some point in the past, someone has faked your signature on a mandate or someone else has fraudulently passed themselves off as you online.

The bank should be able to trace the account orginating the DD and give details at least of sort code and account number (or overseas equivelant) but may need police intervention to make them do it. Then Paypal could confirm the account isn't one of theirs
    It may sometimes seem like I can't spell, I can, I just can't type
  • Hasbeen
    Hasbeen Posts: 4,404 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    The world is not ruined by the wickedness of the wicked, but by the weakness of the good. Napoleon
  • Very helpful, thank you.
  • grumbler
    grumbler Posts: 58,629 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post Photogenic First Anniversary
    edited 9 February 2017 at 10:10PM
    tempus31 wrote: »
    I have sent proof to Barclays showing my normal paypal transactions against the fake 'paypal' debits.
    tempus31 wrote: »
    Very helpful, thank you.
    If this really was helpful, your finances are a big mess.
  • Shakin_Steve
    Shakin_Steve Posts: 2,700 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic First Post Name Dropper
    Having read this, I've removed the PayPal DD from my bank account, both with PayPal and the bank. I now only have a CC on file, a bit less risky, I think.
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
  • frank777
    frank777 Posts: 296 Forumite
    Is it o.k to use a Personal Current Account for Business - don't Barclays have an issue with this?
    I'm not judging you, just wondering where you now stand with your Personal Banking Account
  • leclerc
    leclerc Posts: 137 Forumite
    Tempus have they established the exact date that the DD was set up?

Is there an original mandate or was this set up electronically(the original one)?
  • tempus31 wrote: »
    Hello
    Four weeks ago I discovered that I had been the victim of a direct debit fraud placed on my account, named as PAYPAL INTER LTD.
    I was shocked to discover that this had been on my account for 8 years and as I use Paypal extensively, these debits went unnoticed ( i use paypal now and transfer the money into my account and can take up to 500 payments in a weekend whilst at work).
    These debits have totalled to nearly £25,000 and are not linked to Paypal in any way. I have been in contact with paypal to confirm this.
    I have sent proof to Barclays showing my normal paypal transactions against the fake 'paypal' debits and they have refused my indemnity claim on the basis i have not provided proof. How I don't know... as i have done. Barclay's have also told me to track down the fraudsters and claim my money back from them... !!
    Their attitude stinks. They are telling me to become a private detective to sort this out.
    I have never authorised or signed any direct debit agreement with this so called company and yet Barclays refuse to investigate, though i have a crime number too.
    Just where do i stand in trying to reclaim my money back?
    In two days the thieves took over £2000 in six separate debits, and yet none of these were ever picked up by Barclays fraud systems.
    I have contacted the ombudsman, but the way Barclay's treated me makes me furious that they are willing to allow fraud and not investigate and this situation is making me ill.
    I would appreciate any help or guidance.

If this post is in the wrong area, admin please move to the relevant place where i can come back and check on any feedback.

Thank You

Well if I was Barclays I would not refund you £25000 on your say so especially if it has been going on for 8 years.
    You must have noticed that there were 2 paypal d/d on your payments list and on your bank statements?
    I certainly would know from a longtime ago if £25k were to go missing from my account.
    500 paypal transactions over a weekend and paypal have never questioned you about this and got you to set up a business agreement or Barclays for that matter?

There is a lot more to this and I don't think we have had all of the story.
    If I was you I would be opening a new account with another bank as potentially they could close your account.
  • meer53
    meer53 Posts: 10,217 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker
    I would notice a 25p DD leaving my account if i didn't recognise it, never mind £25k.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure