Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • welshyyyyy
    • By welshyyyyy 7th Feb 17, 7:33 PM
    • 17Posts
    • 2Thanks
    welshyyyyy
    A friend is being scammed, advice wanted please
    • 7th Feb 17, 7:33 PM
    A friend is being scammed, advice wanted please 7th Feb 17 at 7:33 PM
    Hi I'm hoping someone can give me some advice on what to do, a friends father has been landed with a rather hefty bill (£600) by a company to fix his Toshiba laptop. He had an issue with not being able to open his email due to what appeared to be a virus, so rang BT (his ISP) - they tried to help but suggested he ring Toshiba for some reason, they were unable to help so referred him to a company "UK IT Tech Ltd". I cant vouch for the conversations with BT or Toshiba or this UK IT Tech company but the upshot is a £600 bill from this IT company for what sounds like running an anti virus scan, installing AVG pro on his laptop (with a 3 or 4 year licence costing £100+) and running CCleaner.
    My friend has rung this company and spoken to someone and managed to "talk/shout" them down to ask for £300 instead. The guy on the phone apparently reduced the fee when my friend refused to pay and said "if my boss finds out, he'll take it out of my wages" - which sounds more than a bit iffy to me, no reputable company would say anything like this.
    This all sounds very dubious to me, apart from the obvious rip off charge for essentially about an hours work (going on my previous experience of running scans and using free software such as AVG and CCleaner) - at the most I would expect to pay about £100 to a local computer shop if they were to do similar work to whats been described for their time. £600 or even £300 just sounds like a figure plucked out of the air to take advantage of someone
    Apart from the strange situation of BT recommending him to Toshiba, and the even more strange that Toshiba recommended him to this company, has anyone ever heard of them ? (their number is 0800 0903828 which I can't find if I Google it) and any recommendations about what to do next ? This sounds like the scam where the company rings you, the fact that he rang them and then got ripped off just doesnt sound like the usual way this "scam" works
    Latest tonight is that they contacted my mates father again earlier and he is panicking and wants to pay them. The guy said to my mate when he spoke to them that the conversation with his Dad was recorded and he could send it to him to prove that his Dad was told the costs upfront. He has since said that his company won't allow it. So that sounds like some threatening way to get their money when they have nothing to back it up with

Any suggestions about how to proceed would be very welcome

Many thanks
Page 1
    • zagubov
    • By zagubov 7th Feb 17, 7:52 PM
    • 15,274 Posts
    • 130,715 Thanks
    zagubov
    • 7th Feb 17, 7:52 PM
    • 7th Feb 17, 7:52 PM
    This reminds me very much of this recent thread.
    http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5507115
    There is no honour to be had in not knowing a thing that can be known - Danny Baker
    • welshyyyyy
    • By welshyyyyy 7th Feb 17, 8:12 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    welshyyyyy
    • 7th Feb 17, 8:12 PM
    • 7th Feb 17, 8:12 PM
    thanks, Toshiba recommending this dodgy company sounded unlikely but after reading that thread it's certainly possible
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 7th Feb 17, 9:08 PM
    • 31,662 Posts
    • 19,970 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 7th Feb 17, 9:08 PM
    • 7th Feb 17, 9:08 PM
    Was this Toshiba recommending the firm or the employee getting a kickback from the firm for passing the customer onto them.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • Sicard
    • By Sicard 8th Feb 17, 8:17 AM
    • 670 Posts
    • 594 Thanks
    Sicard
    • 8th Feb 17, 8:17 AM
    • 8th Feb 17, 8:17 AM
    Why can't he reset the pc to factory settings? This would format and reload the operating system thus wiping out any nasties.
    Am proud I only have one sourpuss on my ignore list
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 8th Feb 17, 8:38 AM
    • 31,662 Posts
    • 19,970 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 8th Feb 17, 8:38 AM
    • 8th Feb 17, 8:38 AM
    Why can't he reset the pc to factory settings? This would format and reload the operating system thus wiping out any nasties.
    Originally posted by Sicard
    He could have done yes but I dont believe the owner has the laptop.
    Can people stop loaning money/being a guarator to family/friends, it rarely ends well and you lose out as your money is gone or you get shafted with being a guarantor.
    • welshyyyyy
    • By welshyyyyy 8th Feb 17, 8:53 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    welshyyyyy
    • 8th Feb 17, 8:53 AM
    • 8th Feb 17, 8:53 AM
    Was this Toshiba recommending the firm or the employee getting a kickback from the firm for passing the customer onto them.
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    Isn't it the same thing, if its a Toshiba employee recommending these people then they represent Toshiba. I'm guessing that Toshiba may not know about this though
    • welshyyyyy
    • By welshyyyyy 8th Feb 17, 8:56 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    welshyyyyy
    • 8th Feb 17, 8:56 AM
    • 8th Feb 17, 8:56 AM

That's the next thing to do, there may not even be any nasties, this company might have run a scan, added the anti virus software and the computer is clean, it's the disgraceful £600 bill (or whatever they're going to knock it own to) that's essentially the main issue here. They might do a good job, (I don't know) but with extortionate prices
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 8th Feb 17, 9:01 AM
    • 3,552 Posts
    • 2,737 Thanks
    AndyPix
    • 8th Feb 17, 9:01 AM
    • 8th Feb 17, 9:01 AM
    Do you have an actual invoice for the work carried out, breaking the cost down ?

That is discraceful and i would simply refuse to pay it on the grounds that it extortionate.
    It sounds like they dont have any proof the costs were agreed before the work carried out and as long as they dont still have hold of the laptop im not sure there is much they can do.

I would have charged you £25 for that job, and im sure most highstreet independent computer shops would have done it for around £50

Tell them to send you a proper invoice, outlining each cost, along with the proof that this work was sanctioned (ie a signed purchase order or recording of verbal contract) and you will pay the fee.
    Otherwise to stop contacting you and you will see them in court
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • welshyyyyy
    • By welshyyyyy 8th Feb 17, 9:25 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    welshyyyyy
    Do you have an actual invoice for the work carried out, breaking the cost down ?

That is discraceful and i would simply refuse to pay it on the grounds that it extortionate.
    It sounds like they dont have any proof the costs were agreed before the work carried out and as long as they dont still have hold of the laptop im not sure there is much they can do.

I would have charged you £25 for that job, and im sure most highstreet independent computer shops would have done it for around £50

Tell them to send you a proper invoice, outlining each cost, along with the proof that this work was sanctioned (ie a signed purchase order or recording of verbal contract) and you will pay the fee.
    Otherwise to stop contacting you and you will see them in court
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    Good suggestion, thanks Andy I'll pass this info on. I've done similar work for family and friends (i used to be reasonably tech savvy in my previous job) and i would have probably charged similar to you, or a bottle of whisky ! I was thinking £100 at the very most and that would be way too much but potentially (as they have his address and phone number, which he gave them when the call started) there could be potential harassment from them, ie constant phone calls etc, which have already started to stress him
    Last edited by welshyyyyy; 08-02-2017 at 9:30 AM. Reason: added info
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 8th Feb 17, 6:22 PM
    • 2,852 Posts
    • 2,061 Thanks
    Tarambor
    This all sounds very dubious to me, apart from the obvious rip off charge for essentially about an hours work (going on my previous experience of running scans and using free software such as AVG and CCleaner)
    Originally posted by welshyyyyy
    Yeah, lots of people like you say that. Its an hour if you're doing it for personal, lucky and you don't give a toss about losing data. When you're doing it as a business it is an entirely different story and a quick run through of AVG and CCleaner quite simply doesn't cut it because you have to be absolutely sure as possible that its completely clear and that usually involves not just sorting out the issue with the virus but any other OS issues and issues with the hardware such as a blocked CPU heatsink as well to be sure its not malware causing the problem. When you get the inevitable "all my babas photos are on there and they're irreplaceable" and the reply to "do you have a back up" is inevitably no then you can spend more than an hour just retrieving the stuff and sticking it on a removable drive/DVD.

As to the "I'd have done it for £25", all I can say is I've sorted out plenty of messes left by people who are in that club. I would do it for £25 but all that'll get you is the hard drive wiped by zeroing it and the OS reinstalled and I won't even bother about backing up your data so consider it lost if you haven't backed it up yourself. You want more than that and you're paying by the hour because this is the kind of job that has a tendency to take a long time with some of the stuff out today.
    Last edited by Tarambor; 08-02-2017 at 6:28 PM.
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 8th Feb 17, 6:24 PM
    • 2,852 Posts
    • 2,061 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Except MBR ones...

https://arstechnica.co.uk/security/2015/12/nemesis-malware-hijacks-pcs-boot-process-to-gain-stealth-persistence/
    • welshyyyyy
    • By welshyyyyy 8th Feb 17, 7:28 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    welshyyyyy
    Yeah, lots of people like you say that. Its an hour if you're doing it for personal, lucky and you don't give a toss about losing data. When you're doing it as a business it is an entirely different story and a quick run through of AVG and CCleaner quite simply doesn't cut it because you have to be absolutely sure as possible that its completely clear and that usually involves not just sorting out the issue with the virus but any other OS issues and issues with the hardware such as a blocked CPU heatsink as well to be sure its not malware causing the problem. When you get the inevitable "all my babas photos are on there and they're irreplaceable" and the reply to "do you have a back up" is inevitably no then you can spend more than an hour just retrieving the stuff and sticking it on a removable drive/DVD.

As to the "I'd have done it for £25", all I can say is I've sorted out plenty of messes left by people who are in that club. I would do it for £25 but all that'll get you is the hard drive wiped by zeroing it and the OS reinstalled and I won't even bother about backing up your data so consider it lost if you haven't backed it up yourself. You want more than that and you're paying by the hour because this is the kind of job that has a tendency to take a long time with some of the stuff out today.
    Originally posted by Tarambor

and you think this justifies a £600 bill !?? Sounds like you're one of these people that charges this type of money to take advantage of people that don't know any better
    • welshyyyyy
    • By welshyyyyy 8th Feb 17, 7:36 PM
    • 17 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    welshyyyyy
    Update is that my mate spoke to Toshiba today to complain about this and they put him straight through to this company so they are obviously a Toshiba partner! What ensued was a further conversation which the outcome was that the company ripped up the invoice (figuratively not literally as I'm sure there never was actually one) but not before the "analyst" rang my mates father to accuse him of losing his job. Nice people.
    • EdwardB
    • By EdwardB 8th Feb 17, 11:47 PM
    • 412 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    EdwardB
    Sounds like the fake IT companies that pretend to fix your computer after saying you have a virus. They get you to do remote access, then they put backdoors and all sorts on your laptop.

Toshiba has pulled out of Laptop market so they may well have formed dubious partner, if it was indeed really Toshiba he called.

Public information says that company was formed just a few days ago by one

Prabhudas RUPARELIA

Registered office is this residential address

https://goo.gl/maps/pLM5UXj6ozr

Name & Registered Office:
    UK IT TECH LIMITED
    83 ELMSLEIGH AVENUE
    KENTON
    UNITED KINGDOM
    HA3 8HY
    Company No. 10594587

Date of Incorporation: 01/02/2017
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue.
    • NiftyDigits
    • By NiftyDigits 9th Feb 17, 4:27 AM
    • 10,287 Posts
    • 4,379 Thanks
    NiftyDigits
    Update is that my mate spoke to Toshiba today to complain about this and they put him straight through to this company so they are obviously a Toshiba partner! What ensued was a further conversation which the outcome was that the company ripped up the invoice (figuratively not literally as I'm sure there never was actually one) but not before the "analyst" rang my mates father to accuse him of losing his job. Nice people.
    Originally posted by welshyyyyy
    Perhaps your mate isn't calling Toshiba in the first place.

I doubt that he is calling this number; 01932 84 1600 but rather a Freephone number that he found on the Internet.
    There is no way that anyone at Toshiba could put him through to an Indian scam artist.
    • EdwardB
    • By EdwardB 9th Feb 17, 8:31 AM
    • 412 Posts
    • 330 Thanks
    EdwardB
    Perhaps your mate isn't calling Toshiba in the first place.

I doubt that he is calling this number; 01932 84 1600 but rather a Freephone number that he found on the Internet.
    There is no way that anyone at Toshiba could put him through to an Indian scam artist.
    Originally posted by NiftyDigits
    I agree that it is unlikely that it is Toshiba, there are loads of IT companies that pretend to be Microsoft and other vendors.
    Please be nice to all MoneySavers. That’s the forum motto. Remember, the prime aim is to help provide info and resources. If you don’t like someone, their situation, their question or feel they’re intruding on ‘your board’ then please bite the bullet and think of the bigger issue.
    • AndyPix
    • By AndyPix 9th Feb 17, 9:15 AM
    • 3,552 Posts
    • 2,737 Thanks
    AndyPix
    Yeah, lots of people like you say that. Its an hour if you're doing it for personal, lucky and you don't give a toss about losing data. When you're doing it as a business it is an entirely different story and a quick run through of AVG and CCleaner quite simply doesn't cut it because you have to be absolutely sure as possible that its completely clear and that usually involves not just sorting out the issue with the virus but any other OS issues and issues with the hardware such as a blocked CPU heatsink as well to be sure its not malware causing the problem. When you get the inevitable "all my babas photos are on there and they're irreplaceable" and the reply to "do you have a back up" is inevitably no then you can spend more than an hour just retrieving the stuff and sticking it on a removable drive/DVD..

You must just be very bad at it.
    It takes around what, 5 mins to boot from a linux live usb and copy the users profile to a usbhdd
    Windows installed in around 15-20 minutes, office around 10 minutes, blast an air duster through the vents

Rubbish.

If i were a business doing this for a living then i would naturally charge more than £25 squid but i have a real job and just do these as a little income boost to spend on my daughter.

Its an hours work, if it takes you longer thats down to you
    Running with scissors since 1978
    • Willfoy
    • By Willfoy 11th Apr 18, 7:34 PM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Willfoy
    Sorry to bump this up, but my mum's just been stung for 360 quid after she was locked out of her outlook account...

Did this get resolved?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,749Posts Today

7,655Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin