Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    • 3,830Posts
    • 19,565Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Get a grip !
    • 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    Get a grip ! 5th Feb 17 at 11:27 AM
    .....25/11/2018 ......
    I have decided to update as its been ages since I started this thread and so much has changed including my priorities.....

We gained a puppy after starting this thread and although she is a handful she has given me something to focus on and to get up for each day.

DS split from one long-term gf and is now several months into a new relationship and started a new job and seems very happy.

Sadly DM passed away suddenly this year and I miss her every day. Then DF was seriously ill in hospital with sepsis and almost died but thankfully he found the strength to pull through and is making a full recovery physically. We are supporting one another emotionally as a family.

I started this thread with the focus on saving some money. That hasn't happened and I have ended up with some debt on a 0% credit card but it is being paid off as planned and I am still managing to pay all bills and still have some money to spend with friends. I am planning to start saving for an emergency fund in the new year 2019.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 25-11-2018 at 7:52 AM.
    Balance 0% credit card £1360 Balance £548 £0
    0% Car Loan £7500 £160 a month last payment £140 due 1/1/2020 ~ paid in full
    Emergency fund £1000
Page 81
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 14th Jan 20, 6:43 PM
    • 3,830 Posts
    • 19,565 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Have been off work poorly today. Think I have a virus, feeling shaky and needing to lie down. Still at least it saves petrol !

Was even too ill to do some decluttering, tried and failed, had to lie down.

Managed to eat an egg this morning. Have ordered KFC for dinner. Probably not the best thing to eat but thinking of anything else makes me feel ill. If I must eat something I would rather just eat a little of what I fancy !

Hoping to feel well enough to go back to work tomorrow.
    Emergency fund £1000
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 14th Jan 20, 6:49 PM
    • 860 Posts
    • 6,189 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Hope you feel better soon.... hopefully it's not the 'cough' type that's going round the country.... it's dire!
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.
    • JennyJukes
    • By JennyJukes 14th Jan 20, 7:16 PM
    • 308 Posts
    • 952 Thanks
    JennyJukes
    get well soon! you'll only be ill momentarily then you'll pick yourself back up, so don't worry about not doing housework or "only" eating an egg and kfc.
    Saving for:
    Emergency Fund: Complete
    House Deposit: On-Going
    Second-Hand Replacement Car: On-Going
    And whatever else the future brings...
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 14th Jan 20, 8:20 PM
    • 5,227 Posts
    • 44,467 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Get well soon, hope the lurgy leaves quickly. Getting a takeaway sounds like a good idea when you're feeling rubbish x
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 14th Jan 20, 10:22 PM
    • 14,429 Posts
    • 47,874 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    OMG OMG take it easy. Rest and recuperate. There are so many things going round my students are getting them too.

Eat whatever helps. Hugs, swxxxxx
    Trying to be a frugal minimalist. 13/31 NSDs. Saving £2 in money boxes.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 14th Jan 20, 10:44 PM
    • 3,830 Posts
    • 19,565 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Thanks for all the get well wishes.

KFC was a bit of a disaster, delivery was an hour late and the food was cold. I microwaved the fries and gravy and ate the chicken cold. At least they gave me a full refund!

I am feeling grotty again tonight and have been in bed since 9.30 but canít sleep as there is a howling gale going on outside!
    Emergency fund £1000
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 15th Jan 20, 4:10 PM
    • 3,830 Posts
    • 19,565 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Gales eased today and it has been bright and sunny this afternoon.
    I was intending to go back to work but the blooming dog was sick this morning before breakfast with some bloody vomit so had to take her to the vet. I used a days holiday. DS & his gf both at work. One anti-sickness injection, 2 days special food & tablets for 2 weeks £53. Consultation fee was included in her health plan which DS pays monthly or would have cost more. She is much better this afternoon.

I intend to go back to work in the morning. I just had enough petrol to get to vet and back and to get to petrol station in the morning. Must do a food shop after work.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 15-01-2020 at 4:43 PM.
    Emergency fund £1000
    • JennyJukes
    • By JennyJukes 15th Jan 20, 5:31 PM
    • 308 Posts
    • 952 Thanks
    JennyJukes
    Still super windy here, I'm almost blowing away lol. Cold but could be colder.

Poor dog! Hopefully the treatment does the job.
    Saving for:
    Emergency Fund: Complete
    House Deposit: On-Going
    Second-Hand Replacement Car: On-Going
    And whatever else the future brings...
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 15th Jan 20, 7:33 PM
    • 14,429 Posts
    • 47,874 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I am so glad you are better and that you could use today as a holiday as this will further aid your recovery. Poor doggie, I hope the injection, special tablets and food all work to keep her well.

This morning the weather was grotty and by this afternoon it seemed much better. I hope your day has improved from the scary start this morning.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 17th Jan 20, 8:52 PM
    • 3,830 Posts
    • 19,565 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Went back to work yesterday and it felt like a Monday so itís great that today is actually Friday

Poor dog had to go to vets again yesterday but has been much better today. DS & gf looked after her this morning and I went shopping after work as my cupboards were bare. Aldi spend £36.37 a bit over this weeks budget £30 but some stuff will last next week too. Also included a dishwasher cleaner 2 pack £1.75 and bathroom spray cleaner 69p and light bulb £2.49. Why are they so expensive!

I cut my tube of face cream in half to get the last of the cream out and got a few extra days out of it. Had a tidy up of my room and more decluttering & recycling. Had to ditch some perfume someone got me from Tesco as a gift as it made my eyes water ! Thatís them struck off my Christmas list actually come to think of it I didnít buy them anything
    Emergency fund £1000
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 18th Jan 20, 9:46 AM
    • 14,429 Posts
    • 47,874 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I hope doggie is getting even better today. Well done on getting a good food shop in.

I'm sure a lot of the packaging looks really fancy but is there to get us to spend more money. Well done in using up the face cream. I just use Nivea now as what you see is what you get and I used to use fancy stuff.

I hope you rest a bit today. It is frosty here and my garden looks like a Christmas card.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 18th Jan 20, 11:30 AM
    • 3,830 Posts
    • 19,565 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I use Nivea Soft as it’s more of a moisturising cream than the lotion and get tubes in £ shop.

It’s lovely and sunny here today. Frost has gone now sun is out. One load of washing on line. Hoping for a NSD. Puppy dog is much better thanks SW, may manage a walk around the pond with her later as she seems a lot more lively today.

Have just had a fry up found 2 small new/salad potatoes in fridge dated July microwaved & sliced them & fried with bacon & egg & beans. I am going to make a batch of vegetable chilli later with tin tomatoes, rest of the beans, courgette & butternut squash & peppers. Not much else planned for the weekend.
    Emergency fund £1000
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 18th Jan 20, 5:52 PM
    • 5,227 Posts
    • 44,467 Thanks
    Kittikins
    I'll bring a bowl, veggie chilli sounds dee-lish!

I knew I wasn't going to have a NSD today as I needed petrol, but thankfully most of my other spends were home-related so I take them back out of the joint account.

Glad you and doggy are feeling better.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 18th Jan 20, 7:17 PM
    • 14,429 Posts
    • 47,874 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on hanging your washing out. I didn't dare risk it as we still had vvv light rain here. I am so proud you are doing all of this walking it makes me feel fit. I spent most of the day sleeping. lol.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 19th Jan 20, 9:32 AM
    • 3,830 Posts
    • 19,565 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Vegetable & bean chilli was lovely. One portion for dinner and 3 for the freezer. Butternut squash was free from DF allotment which he brought last time he visited.

Weather was glorious, no rain & a NSD.

Plans for today (Sunday) Just to walk the dog. DS & gf are off work and are taking me out for Sunday lunch
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 19-01-2020 at 9:35 AM.
    Emergency fund £1000
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 19th Jan 20, 8:21 PM
    • 14,429 Posts
    • 47,874 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    How lovely that they took you out and the weather was bright too. I hope you are chilled. Hurrah.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 19th Jan 20, 10:55 PM
    • 3,830 Posts
    • 19,565 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Had a lovely walk on the common this morning with the dog. Everything white and crisp. Laughed at puppy dog breaking the ice on the puddles with her feet and eating it. The sun was very warm and soon cleared the frost.

Went to a lovely country pub around 3pm for lunch which was delish The price was rather eye watering but DS paid and I tried not to think about it and just enjoy! Sat and watched a little Robin hopping around on the patio tables in the beer garden. Lovely sunset on the way home.

Have instant porridge & banana to take to work in morning. Intending not to spend in the canteen! Have put my windscreen cover on the car earlier as itís meant to be icy again tonight. Will save money on de-icer and save time & pain in hands scraping car in the morning.
    Emergency fund £1000
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 21st Jan 20, 7:42 PM
    • 3,830 Posts
    • 19,565 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Work has been awful. One colleague in tears today.

Went to B&M after work and stocked up on curry noodles 29p each and 3 boxes of microwaveable popadoms £1 each and Nivea cream £1. Came home and took the dog out for a nice walk in the sun.

Tomorrow I am going out with a friend for lunch with a voucher itís 2 courses for 2 people for £20 so £10 each. I am driving so may ask for free tap water. DSí s gf is taking the dog to the forest , so a nice relaxing afternoon for me
    Emergency fund £1000
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 22nd Jan 20, 5:17 PM
    • 3,830 Posts
    • 19,565 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Had a lovely lunch out with a friend today. Garlic mushrooms starter & chicken with leek, mushroom and white wine & cream sauce & creamy mash. Free tap water & then friend treated me to a hot chocolate. Shame about the cost of the parking £3.90 for up to 3 hours !! (then goes up to £6 ) weather awful and very cold. DSís gf walked the dog so I am resting for the evening
    Emergency fund £1000
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 22nd Jan 20, 6:56 PM
    • 14,429 Posts
    • 47,874 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I am glad you are having lunches out as work sounds like a nightmare. How awful that someone was crying. I hope it gets better. Parking is so prohibitive I remember when there weren't really any meters around a long time ago.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

96Posts Today

1,551Users online

Martin's Twitter