Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    • 3,442Posts
    • 19,104Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Get a grip !
    • 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    Get a grip ! 5th Feb 17 at 11:27 AM
    .....25/11/2018 ......
    I have decided to update as its been ages since I started this thread and so much has changed including my priorities.....

We gained a puppy after starting this thread and although she is a handful she has given me something to focus on and to get up for each day.

DS split from one long-term gf and is now several months into a new relationship and started a new job and seems very happy.

Sadly DM passed away suddenly this year and I miss her every day. Then DF was seriously ill in hospital with sepsis and almost died but thankfully he found the strength to pull through and is making a full recovery physically. We are supporting one another emotionally as a family.

I started this thread with the focus on saving some money. That hasn't happened and I have ended up with some debt on a 0% credit card but it is being paid off as planned and I am still managing to pay all bills and still have some money to spend with friends. I am planning to start saving for an emergency fund in the new year 2019.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 25-11-2018 at 7:52 AM.
    Balance 0% credit card to pay 1360 1310 1210 1160 1110 1060 998 948
Page 61
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 12th Jan 19, 7:33 AM
    • 3,442 Posts
    • 19,104 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Thank goodness its the weekend ! The first week back at work after Christmas holidays has felt like a lifetime.

Yesterday I collected my parcel of clothes from George bought with my Christmas money and I now have a dilemma. They sent me 2 of the same handbags but I only ordered one and they have only charged me for one !

I didn't get chance to try the clothes yesterday so I will do that today. I have arranged to go with a friend to the local pub for a cheap lunch 2 for 8.99 so I am looking forward to that later. DS is home for the weekend so he will be walking the dog.

I provided my meter reading to my gas & elec supplier and my direct debit has gone up slightly, but not by as much as they wanted last month ! They were asking for 69 a month but I set it at 60 for December and they have now recommended 64 so I've changed to that from 1 Feb as I don't want a big bill. I must admit I do like EON for this reason as you can set your own direct debit, especially after recent reports of a certain foxy provider ripping people off. I tend to go for the cheapest of the larger providers but have been to co-op energy and M&S energy and sainsburys energy in the past when they were offering cheap deals. I must admit I'm the same with car insurance and house insurance I never go for the cheap providers who I have never heard of I go for the cheapest of the well known providers, maybe I'm missing a good deal but it somehow makes me feel more secure

Week 2 of the declutter and I bought a cream plastic wicker effect wash basket for the kitchen for wet dog towels which is ideal. I was looking at a similar small slim basket in h&m last week which was 23, but this curver one was in asda for 12 and is just the right size to fit where I had in mind without taking up too much space. This means the wet dog towels are off the floor/worktop and the dog can't keep pinching them and running off with them

I also bought a clear plastic small 4 drawer stack of shelves in asda also 12 which fit on the end of the worktop and I have decluttered the entire worktop. Anything I have kept has gone into the drawers, including one drawer for carrier bags and one for recycling cans/cardboard etc waiting to go outside to the main recycling bin. It looks so much tidier which is a relief as stuff was starting to pile up and kept falling off. My peg basket fits on the top too, so the dog can't keep pinching my wooden pegs and chewing them !
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 12-01-2019 at 7:35 AM.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 12th Jan 19, 2:04 PM
    • 13,734 Posts
    • 47,241 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hello it does feel like a looooong week. I was just too busy to post but I did read sometimes.

I hope you keep the extra handbag - A&da can afford it. If you feel guilty put a bit of money in a charity tin. Hurrah for all your shopping - it's so nice that you are able to treat yourself for a change.

Glad you are feeling better and hope you have a good time with your friend.
    Christmas Fund 20
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE & OVERPAY!!!!
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 13th Jan 19, 7:12 AM
    • 3,442 Posts
    • 19,104 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Thanks SW. Not sure what I will do about the handbags. I have a really bad guilt complex so if it's going to cause anxiety I will probably send it back. Too honest for my own good

I had a lovely afternoon chatting with my friend. We went to the local pub so only a short walk. It was packed but we got a table and didn't mind waiting. 2 meals for 9.99 plus 2 drinks and my friend had a voucher for 33% off so total cost 6.03 each. . However they got the order wrong and brought out 2 of the same meals so took one back, then my friend started eating hers and the chicken was cold so she sent that back too. The landlord gave us free drinks and 20 minutes later 2 lovely hot tasty meals. So a bit of a wait but as we were not in a rush it was worth it.

Lots of washing to do today hopefully it will be mild and windy as forecast and I can get some dry on the line. Will hoover & clean dog room when DS takes the dog out. More decluttering too.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 13-01-2019 at 7:19 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,936Posts Today

8,741Users online

Martin's Twitter