Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    • 3,414Posts
    • 19,055Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Get a grip !
    • 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    Get a grip ! 5th Feb 17 at 11:27 AM
    .....25/11/2018 ......
    I have decided to update as its been ages since I started this thread and so much has changed including my priorities.....

We gained a puppy after starting this thread and although she is a handful she has given me something to focus on and to get up for each day.

DS split from one long-term gf and is now several months into a new relationship and started a new job and seems very happy.

Sadly DM passed away suddenly this year and I miss her every day. Then DF was seriously ill in hospital with sepsis and almost died but thankfully he found the strength to pull through and is making a full recovery physically. We are supporting one another emotionally as a family.

I started this thread with the focus on saving some money. That hasn't happened and I have ended up with some debt on a 0% credit card but it is being paid off as planned and I am still managing to pay all bills and still have some money to spend with friends. I am planning to start saving for an emergency fund in the new year 2019.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 25-11-2018 at 7:52 AM.
    Balance 0% credit card to pay 1360 1310 1210 1160 1110 1060 998
Page 57
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 10th Oct 18, 8:12 PM
    • 3,414 Posts
    • 19,055 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Another warm day today so I got some bedding dried this afternoon on the line.

Got puppy a squeaky rubber bone in Tesco cost 3 and it has lasted all afternoon without her chewing a hole in it !

Odd pennies in my current account tonight 41p into my emergency fund now totalling 41.50
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 11th Oct 18, 7:30 PM
    • 3,414 Posts
    • 19,055 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Hope you are feeling ok SW x I went to the chemist today to pick up some meds and had my free flu jab. I asked about the MMR jab but they said its only a certain generation that needs it as they missed it first time. I had it according to papers DM gave me a few years ago. Apparently they are writing to everyone who needs it.

Called off at aldi on the way home for food shopping for next week total spend 38.95. Got home and put away shopping and it started raining so 2 dog walks today in the rain. Rubber bone still standing up to puppy teeth ! She loves chewing and squeaking it

I've had a frozen pizza bought last week in aldi for dinner. DS popped in to say hello on his way home from work on way to his gf. Have been having a bit of a clear out and tidy up and as DS is hardly here any more it actually stays tidy 2 bags of "stuff" out for bin men in morning.

Odd pennies in my current account tonight 26p into my emergency fund now totalling 41.76
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 11th Oct 18, 9:19 PM
    • 13,667 Posts
    • 47,135 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I think I had it year's ago as well. The GP said I should have it. Check with your GP.

Well done on Aldi shop. All is well here. Roll on the weekend.
    Christmas Fund is all gone lol.
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 13th Oct 18, 7:12 AM
    • 3,414 Posts
    • 19,055 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Arm is sore following flu jab but no other side effects. Dr surgery pointed me to this for MMR jab
    people born between 1970 and 1979, may have only been vaccinated against measles
    people born from 1980 to 1990, may not be protected against mumps

As I was born in the dim and distant past it seems I don't need it.

Windy out this morning but warm. Puppy has been fed and is snoozing. I want to get some washing done later today, make the bed in the spare room for DF arriving tomorrow and scrub down the patio.

Lots of plans for next week. days out with DF and he is going to make me a radiator cover for the puppy room so we can turn the radiator on this winter. It was cold without it last year but she kept touching it with her nose poor pooch, so we turned it off. Radiator covers large enough are around 100+ so hopefully we can make something cheaper, it doesn't have to be pretty

The fridge and freezer are full of food so I shouldn't need to do any shopping next week and can just pick up milk locally.

I've decided to have a week off from posting on MSE and boring you all I just need a complete break from work and worrying about money but will still be careful with budgeting and spending.

Have a good week everyone x
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 13th Oct 18, 5:57 PM
    • 13,667 Posts
    • 47,135 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hello Skinty, enjoy your week off. PS You don't bore me, you keep me company on my journey, a friend in arms during my financial journey.

The radiator cover sounds like a good project - it's fab that DS can do things like that and lil pup will be happy!

Enjoy the week and let's hope the weather is good.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 14th Oct 18, 3:32 PM
    • 5,133 Posts
    • 44,219 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Oooh, I might be one of those people who need the jab, born in 1971! I'm going for my flu jab this week, but am currently languishing on the sofa with a cold and fever. Hope I'll be back to fighting fitness by Thursday and be fine to have the jab.

Please don't disappear, you're lovely and not dull at all! xx
    Sealed tin and beach 2p saving - trying to put everything under 1 in my purse in tins each day
    Moved house with my beloved DD and KW - 29.6.18
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 21st Oct 18, 10:23 AM
    • 3,414 Posts
    • 19,055 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Hi folks have had a lovely week

Weather has been fab apart from 1 day of damp / rain and we've been out and about and had some nice lunches / dinners out / takeaways. I took 50 out of the birthday/xmas/holiday fund and stayed within budget. DF also made me a radiator cover which came in just under my 50 budget at around 47 and was paid for from savings in the household bills account.

I've paid the pet insurance money onto my credit card 559 and still 100 excess to pay. If I stay on budget for the rest of this month I should have 100 left to cover that.

I've paid another 50 to my 0% credit card so once that has cleared I will update my signature and should be down to 1060 and I will try and pay 61 next month to bring it under 1000 which will feel better

So today is washing, mopping kitchen floor and hoovering. Df has set off home Just taking dog out for a walk its a lovely sunny morning here. Back to work tomorrow.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 21st Oct 18, 11:33 AM
    • 13,667 Posts
    • 47,135 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hello glad you had a great week and feel rested. Well done on the radiator cover. I hope you enjoy the gorgeous weather today.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 21st Oct 18, 4:22 PM
    • 3,414 Posts
    • 19,055 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    The weather has been lovely again today. Me and the dog went for a walk on the common and the tide was in so she went for a splash followed by a shake all over me !

We've just been chillin' all afternoon. I've been watching xfactor and it would have been a NSD but I had a bar of chocolate 1 from shop bought with change left over from the pub yesterday so I'm not sure it counts as a spend !! Dogs curled up in chair snoring

I've decided not to continue with transferring odd pennies between savings at the end of the day. Although it does soon add up its a bit too micro managed for me.

Just going to bring my washing in before the sun goes it and it gets cool and damp. Having something from freezer for tea as CBA to cook.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 22nd Oct 18, 1:46 PM
    • 13,667 Posts
    • 47,135 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    How totally chilled was that post? CBA - I know exactly what you mean! I have done some ironing and more washing. I am so happy the weather is so good.
    • pinknsparkly
    • By pinknsparkly 23rd Oct 18, 12:29 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    pinknsparkly
    Hi Skinty!

Snoring dogs + chocolate + TV viewing sounds like a perfect evening. I'd absolutely love a doggo, but we both work full time so it just wouldn't be fair. My husband was desperate for a cat for years and I just don't understand the attraction, I wanted a dog but would be unfair on them, so we compromised and got a cat turns out I love him (and am now much fonder of all cats, though I'm still a dog girl at heart!).

I know what you mean about the transferring the tiny amounts around. You have to do what's right for you - you do YOU and let others do them! I have also stopped doing it as it often meant we ended up a little bit short at the end of the month and had to transfer 20-30 out of the savings but had only tidied around 15 into them. Somehow, not doing the tidies seems to mean that we don't need to dip into the savings (or maybe I've finally managed to get my husband on board?). I currently intend to start doing them again once we get a mortgage, but will see how it goes when we get to that point!

xxx
    Plan: buy a house in summer 2018 | spring 2019 | winter 2018

Realistic savings goal: 10% house deposit. DONE
    Super ambitious savings goal: 15% house deposit. DONE
    Currently on 13.2% (2nd Apr '18) | 14.1% (2nd Jul '18) | 15.6% (31st Jul '18) | 16.9% (1st Sep '18) | 18.0% (6th Oct '18) | 18.4% (31st Oct '18) 23.9% (2nd Nov '18)
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 27th Oct 18, 6:57 AM
    • 3,414 Posts
    • 19,055 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I never wanted a cat or a dog its actually my sons dog but I seem to have inherited her as he doesn't have the time he thought he would have Its my own fault for agreeing he could have her at my house but now she's here .... she's a bit of a handful but makes me get out and exercise each day and she also makes me laugh with some of her antics and puppy ways so its not all bad !

Its been an awful week so I am glad its the weekend. I switched my gas and electric during the week and the tariff is only slightly more than the one I am on now plus I will get 25 cashback after 3 months thanks to
    It was so cold yesterday that the heating has been tested and is now coming on at 6am and 6pm for 15 minutes to take the chill off. Two radiators are not working so I must look at them today. I hung towels out to dry yesterday as it was sunny and windy but as soon as I hung them out we had a hailstorm ! Once that had passed they dried a bit then finished on the radiators/airers.

I have paid the 100 balance off cc1 and have petrol in the car and enough food to last till payday. I have 21.09 left so I will take out 10 today as I am meeting friends for coffee and cake at a local caf!
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 28th Oct 18, 6:18 AM
    • 3,414 Posts
    • 19,055 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Wow it's cold this morning. Heating has been on for 15 minutes when I got up to feed the dog. It's off again now and I'm back in bed.

I bled the radiator in DS room and banged the thermostat as per instructions from DF but no joy so when DS came home he removed the thermostat and the pin inside was stuck down in the off position so he sorted that and the radiator is now working

The coffee shop was packed yesterday so we went to the pub instead I had a cup of tea 1 and a child's dessert 1.75 and had a good chat and a laugh priceless
    • atrixa
    • By atrixa 28th Oct 18, 2:11 PM
    • 78 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    atrixa
    I'm glad your radiator is fine- that happened to one of mine back when I was at uni. I've got the storage heater on full blast at the moment, it's freezing. We even had some snow yesterday.

Pub sounds lovely (and cheap!)
    I work in Pensions and I'm currently saving for my first house deposit
    • pinknsparkly
    • By pinknsparkly 28th Oct 18, 5:56 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 331 Thanks
    pinknsparkly
    This cold weather is rapidly turning me into hibernation-mode, though we've not had any snow or hailstones here yet. I'm so glad DS managed to get your radiator working for you - I have to admit, that if bleeding it didn't work I'd not have a clue what to try next!!
    Plan: buy a house in summer 2018 | spring 2019 | winter 2018

Realistic savings goal: 10% house deposit. DONE
    Super ambitious savings goal: 15% house deposit. DONE
    Currently on 13.2% (2nd Apr '18) | 14.1% (2nd Jul '18) | 15.6% (31st Jul '18) | 16.9% (1st Sep '18) | 18.0% (6th Oct '18) | 18.4% (31st Oct '18) 23.9% (2nd Nov '18)
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 28th Oct 18, 6:04 PM
    • 13,667 Posts
    • 47,135 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    lol I am the same. Ive been lesson writing on my laptop in bed as its blooming cold.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 3rd Nov 18, 8:11 AM
    • 3,414 Posts
    • 19,055 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Heres the budget for November

Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet
    Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 1
    Number of children in household.........
    Number of cars owned.................... 1
    Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 1110.12
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
    Benefits................................ 0
    Other income............................ 300
    Total monthly income.................... 1410.12

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................. 214.9
    Council tax................ 140
    Electricity & gas ......... 54
    Water rates............. 45.97
    Mobile phone............. 7.55
    TV Licence.............. 12.37
    Cable TV/internet/phone. 51.36
    Groceries etc. ......... 300
    Petrol/diesel............ 40
    Car maintenance (including MOT)28.04
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 50
    Entertainment............ 50
    annual bills/insurances. 100 & clothes/haircuts
    union fees...............7.92
    Total monthly expenses.................. 1102.11

[b]

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Mortgage...................... 0........(214.9)....0
    Total secured & HP debts...... 0.........-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Description............Monthly...APR
    car....................160.......0
    cc 1 pay ..............36........0
    cc2 ................50........0
    Total unsecured debts.....246.......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 1,410.12
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 1,102.11
    Available for debt repayments........... 308.01
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 246
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 62.01

]
    Created using the SOA calculator at www.stoozing.com.
    Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using other browser.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 03-11-2018 at 8:15 AM.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 3rd Nov 18, 8:24 AM
    • 3,414 Posts
    • 19,055 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    So winter is now truly upon us ! I had to de-ice the windscreen on my car yesterday before driving to work. Thankfully I found some de-icer spray left over from last year.

Payday has come and gone with not much fanfare this month. I think I've lost my saving mojo I did however make a bacon and cheese toastie to take to work yesterday instead of buying a bacon roll from the canteen which would have cost 2.15.

I started my Christmas shopping too Two pairs of novelty socks for DS stocking 6 paid for from xmas savings.

My car is booked in for its MOT this month. I hope it will pass ! MOT paid for in monthly car service plan. Car will also be collected and delivered back and washed and hoovered inside. Any additional work needed will cost extra so fingers crossed !

Right, Im off to try and fix my fridge freezer The fridge has stopped working and is not cool so I am armed with my hairdryer to try and fix it which worked last week ... will let you know how I get on really cant afford a new one just now .....
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 03-11-2018 at 8:26 AM.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 3rd Nov 18, 9:37 AM
    • 3,414 Posts
    • 19,055 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Ok the hairdryer worked and the fridge is cooling again. The freezer was not affected and stuff was still frozen. It's amazing what you learn from Utube my fridge/freezer is supposed to be frost free but the fan is freezing up so unplugged, empty the freezer and a quick blast from the hairdryer, ice in vents and on fan melts, dry the small amount of water and put freezer stuff back in. Plug back in and after 20 mins it all comes back to life. Phew !

I think this may become a weekly thing, not great but if it keeps it going will be worth it.

I will put 50 from my soa amount left over into my emergency fund this month and start saving for a new one just in case it conks out for good !
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 4th Nov 18, 5:54 AM
    • 3,414 Posts
    • 19,055 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    It was lovely and warm yesterday. Took the dog for a ramble on the common for an hour. Two loads of washing mostly dried outside and finished on airers.

I cooked some cubed lamb 3 in a curry sauce for dinner instead of takeaway with pilau rice 59p nom nom DS and his gf stayed the night and had pizza from freezer half price 2.50 so they saved money too.

I popped to see a friend for a cuppa in the afternoon and she have me a lovely jar of home made tomato chutney. 2nd puppy walk round the pond in the evening and then feet up in front of the TV watching xfactor
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

250Posts Today

1,544Users online

Martin's Twitter