Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    • 3,282Posts
    • 18,881Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Get a grip !
    • 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    Get a grip ! 5th Feb 17 at 11:27 AM
    Message to self ... get a grip ! Stop moaning about your job and do something about it. Reduce your outgoings so you can leave your job ! Save money so you can leave your job ! Downsize the house so you can leave your job !

Ok so I am mid-40's divorced with DS 21 still at home. He pays half of the bills and his own food (high protein diet).

I hate my job (in case you hadn't guessed lol) and would like to leave but at the moment it gives me financial security and lots of adaptations for my disabilities which put me off / makes me worry about getting a new job. I am not sure what the future will bring (at some point DS will leave home ...hopefully !) but I really need to get some savings in place.

So here goes........
    Balance 0% credit card to pay 1360 1310 1210
Page 51
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 28th Jul 18, 7:50 PM
    • 13,520 Posts
    • 46,979 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Glad you managed to get some drying done and well done on cooking at home and the dog walk. I cheated and had a takeaway.
    Christmas Fund 41.00 (Dec 1st 2018)
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 29th Jul 18, 6:56 AM
    • 3,282 Posts
    • 18,881 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    It is 6 months since my DM suddenly passed away. It feels like yesterday and the pain has not eased. I miss her. Money seems so meaningless. I feel like selling up, walking away from my job and leaving. Feeling very sad today
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 29-07-2018 at 6:58 AM.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 29th Jul 18, 8:01 AM
    • 13,520 Posts
    • 46,979 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Skinty I am so sorry. It is a terrible thing to go through. I know you are really down but you must think your mum is at peace now. You are going through grief which is understandable and natural. Whenever anyone feels down they forget the good things we have around us. I know I do it too. Please go and find little puppy and give him a hug, ring a friend so you are not alone today. Spend the day together. You will have holiday in two weeks and you can spend some nice time focussing on staying positive. Sending you big hugs. love swx
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 29th Jul 18, 8:23 AM
    • 3,282 Posts
    • 18,881 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Thank you SW for your kindness and friendship xx
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 29th Jul 18, 8:39 AM
    • 13,520 Posts
    • 46,979 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    We love you very much you are such a lovely person.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 31st Jul 18, 2:47 PM
    • 3,282 Posts
    • 18,881 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Its payday and I'm adding up the pennies as I had a naughty McD for lunch. I have credit 9.37 left in my account from July so that should cover it.

In July I saved 100 into the bills account and 50 into birthdays/xmas account. I reduced my credit card by 150 of which 100 was a refund from the pet insurance.

We have decided to try the dog food from up North direct from the manufacturer, and will buy 5 bags to try. The contents are very similar on comparison and we currently pay 35.99 for 15kg. The new food is 22.98 a bag so that's a saving of 13.01 a bag. Each bag lasts about 45 days, roughly one and a half months.
    Greedy puppy at least she is on a diet so she's eating less than before.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 31st Jul 18, 3:13 PM
    • 13,520 Posts
    • 46,979 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    At least you had money left over from July! That's fine. Well done on paying towards your credit card and on saving money on puppy's food.

Hope you are ok.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 4th Aug 18, 6:49 AM
    • 3,282 Posts
    • 18,881 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Well I made it to the end of the week and apart from some trouble at work yesterday over time off I am now on holiday and trying not to think about it !

I have fed the puppy and DS has gone to work. She's having a snooze now so I will walk her a bit later as its the weekend. I've had my tires done this week 191.96 paid out of bills account and set aside 115 for dog food out of bills account, saving 65.20 on our usual brand. I've also had my hair done as budgeted 40 for cut colour foils & blow dry and feel much cooler now I don't have a rug on my head

There is a local car boot today at 12 which I might go to. I am waiting to hear from my friend what time the "pamper day" starts. I also want to do some batch cooking this morning whilst it is cooler. Chicken pasta bake and sweet chilli chicken with noodles for the freezer plus boil some new potatoes for potato salad over the weekend.

Right I'm off for a snooze. Have a good weekend everyone
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 5th Aug 18, 6:45 AM
    • 3,282 Posts
    • 18,881 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Saturday morning chores, one load of washing done, scrubbed patio & mopped kitchen floor, then had a great afternoon. It was good to see friends and have a laugh and the massage and facial were so relaxing and worth every penny of 20. I took with me a quiche and strawberries bought in the co-op 4.99 and all the others brought food as well and I took my bottle of strawberry lambrini which was lovely cold and not much alcohol, so don't feel hungover today

I posted my meter readings online last week and my new bill has now been calculated and I am 4.56 in credit which is good news. I've had a look and cant find a cheaper tariff at the moment.

Today I will walk the dog, do more washing and I am doing some batch cooking as I didn't get round to it yesterday. Puppy is snoozing and DS has gone to work so I am going to have another hour in bed then get up and walk the dog before it gets too hot.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 5th Aug 18, 8:12 AM
    • 13,520 Posts
    • 46,979 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on being in credit on meter readings. I owe loads! I had the heating on in the winter an awful lot! Like you I will be looking for a new supplier at the end of the month.

I am glad you had fun at the pamper session and hope you enjoy yourself in the rest of the holiday. When I was ill work kept going bonkers about the time I took off but that is something that isn't your fault as you have been ill and had so much happening to your parents so don't let it get you down. The rotters. Have a good day my flower
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 6th Aug 18, 11:41 AM
    • 3,282 Posts
    • 18,881 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Yesterday was so hot even at 9am when I walked the dog so we kept to the park under the shade of the trees. I tidied the kitchen and then DS cane home from work with his mates for a BBQ. They did all the cooking and tidying up

This morning I walked the dog at 5.30 am much cooler so she had a good run around after her ball. There was an atmospheric low mist hanging over the grass.

Then I went back to bed for a couple of hours got up at 9 and it's hot already. I've got both fans on in the kitchen as I have done the batch cooking before the sun gets round in the afternoon. I made chicken pasta bake, chicken curry and peri-peri chicken. So DS should have plenty of "ready meals" in freezer while I am away.

I'm waiting in for a parcel for DS should be here by 2pm. DS has gone to gym then will be off to work on late shift. Once parcel arrives I will go to bank and pay in 50 cheque from house insurance cash back and go to the chemist to pick up meds so I have enough to go away.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 7th Aug 18, 6:31 AM
    • 3,282 Posts
    • 18,881 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Early morning puppy walk done. I put up her paddling pool yesterday and she made a hole in it so the water has slowly leaked out overnight I will try and find a repair kit or some superglue and try sticking it.

Online banking checked. I couldn't pay the 50 cheque in yesterday as the branch has closed ! I think I will post it with a paying in slip as I cant see me getting into town to our one remaining branch before I go on holiday and I need the money to give to DF to pay for puppy food next week which he has kindly gone and collected for me.

I didn't get to the chemist yesterday so I will need to go today. Then I will pop to Aldi and get the last few things DS will need while I am away.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 7th Aug 18, 7:06 PM
    • 3,282 Posts
    • 18,881 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    It's been raining here this afternoon so had a nice cool dog walk. Did shopping and picked up meds this morning.

I used up the last chicken from the BBQ with some grilled halloumi and salad for lunch and I resisted a pizza delivery tonight and had garlic Kiev fries & sweetcorn.

Also decided against buying new pj shorts and sewed up the waistband on my existing ones which had frayed and fallen apart. Doesn't look great but as they are only for sleeping in they are still wearable.
    • atrixa
    • By atrixa 7th Aug 18, 8:58 PM
    • 67 Posts
    • 66 Thanks
    atrixa
    I feel like all I've done is sewn clothes lately! I had a phase of splitting my trousers :/ I tend to keep pj's until they walk themselves into the bin. Well done on making the effort
    I work in Pensions and I'm currently saving for my first house deposit
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 8th Aug 18, 7:16 AM
    • 13,520 Posts
    • 46,979 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Right that's it. if you are all sewing I will have to do my sewing too. I have been putting it off for ages! I hope you can repair the paddling pool. Poor puppy doesn't realise what she's done. So glad you are going away so you can have a good time with your father.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 8th Aug 18, 11:14 PM
    • 3,282 Posts
    • 18,881 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Took puppy to the vet today for her annual jabs all covered by monthly pet plan paid for by DS. Vet thinks she may have problems with her hips and has suggested xrays at over 700. This should be covered by pet insurance paid for by DS apart from excess of 99.

I went out for lunch with friend 4.85 for mug of tea and jacket potato with vegetable chilli , nice and warming as the weather was chilly too ! We had a wander round the shops and I only spent 1.85 on a frizbee for puppy reduced from 2.50. She has had lots of fun catching it this afternoon

I have started packing ready to go oop norff tomorrow. I will walk puppy in the morning then DS will be home from nights and on his 4 day off shift rotation to look after her whilst I am away. I've managed to find some instructions on tax website which may mean that there is no tax to pay on income to DMs estate, so we should be able to finalise the paperwork whilst I am there. I will be without wi-fi whilst away so I may not post but hope you all have a good week.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 9th Aug 18, 8:22 AM
    • 13,520 Posts
    • 46,979 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Omg to the poor puppy! 99 for xray is still a lot. I hope that vet can help poor puppy so she is not in any pain.

glad you went out for a meal. Well done on finding paperwork for your mum's estate. I hope you have a lovely time with your father and can chill out too.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 14th Aug 18, 6:56 AM
    • 3,282 Posts
    • 18,881 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I arrived back home yesterday and have the rest of the week off work. I need to get some masonry paint for under the bay window outside the front of the house and a quick search online showed B&M the cheapest so I will go there later.

Puppy is well and has been out for a run around on the field with her ball. I need to phone the vets today and get more info about our visit the other day so I can contact the insurance company to check we are covered.

Had a lovely time up north with DF, my youngest sister & Niece (eldest sisters daughter) came over too and we had a lovely meal out for DNiece birthday. DF paid and gave me some money towards petrol which was lovely of him and has really helped me out this month. DS has gone to work he gets paid tomorrow so once I have his "board" money I can pay my credit card and work out what I will have left this month to save.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 14th Aug 18, 7:42 AM
    • 13,520 Posts
    • 46,979 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Welcome back, I'm just waiting for the boys to collect me and we are off to London for the day. Glad DF helped with petrol and for the board money.Have a good day and rest don't paint.
    Last edited by savingwannabe; 14-08-2018 at 7:45 AM.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 14th Aug 18, 12:33 PM
    • 5,105 Posts
    • 44,180 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Glad you had a lovely break, and that you and puppy are now able to enjoy your walks! I'm missing the sun less than I thought I would...but probably will change my mind in a couple of days when I have to stop wearing flip flops!!
    Sealed tin and beach 2p saving - trying to put everything under 1 in my purse in tins each day
    Moved house with my beloved DD and KW - 29.6.18
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,067Posts Today

7,446Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin