Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    • 3,247Posts
    • 18,842Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Get a grip !
    • 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    Get a grip ! 5th Feb 17 at 11:27 AM
    Message to self ... get a grip ! Stop moaning about your job and do something about it. Reduce your outgoings so you can leave your job ! Save money so you can leave your job ! Downsize the house so you can leave your job !

Ok so I am mid-40's divorced with DS 21 still at home. He pays half of the bills and his own food (high protein diet).

I hate my job (in case you hadn't guessed lol) and would like to leave but at the moment it gives me financial security and lots of adaptations for my disabilities which put me off / makes me worry about getting a new job. I am not sure what the future will bring (at some point DS will leave home ...hopefully !) but I really need to get some savings in place.

So here goes........
    Balance 0% credit card to pay 1360 1310
Page 49
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 6th Jul 18, 10:04 PM
    • 5,075 Posts
    • 44,126 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Hope you've cooled down now Skinty, it's getting harder and harder for most of us to cope with the heat....but it's the weekend and we can chill out, even if we're boiling hot!!
    Sealed tin and beach 2p saving - trying to put everything under 1 in my purse in tins each day
    Moved house with my beloved DD and KW - 29.6.18
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 7th Jul 18, 6:46 AM
    • 3,247 Posts
    • 18,842 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    It's forecasting over 30 degrees today
    I will try and get most jobs done this morning whilst it's cool. Have been walking puppy at 5.30am and around 7pm. I've just fed her and will walk her around 8am as it's the weekend.

I need to hoover the puppy room & mop kitchen floor, scrub patio and lots of washing. I washed out the puppy paddling pool on Thursday as it was getting a bit grimy, so will probably refill it today so she can hop in when she feels like it. Good job we are not on a water meter but I am conscious of a potential hosepipe ban so will try to be careful. I don't water my garden and the shrubs and roses are surviving but my lawn is brown and crispy saves having to cut it !

Friends are taking me to lunch / high tea on Monday after work so I am looking forward to that
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 7th Jul 18, 6:50 PM
    • 13,452 Posts
    • 46,931 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on walking dog and all of the washing so early. It is so hot. I just got in from Chichester walk.
    Christmas Fund 41.00 (Dec 1st 2018)
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 7th Jul 18, 10:50 PM
    • 3,247 Posts
    • 18,842 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Well done on all the walking too SW you will be losing weight with all the exercise and sweating perspiring

I walked puppy at 8am and it was already hot. We missed the tide so she rolled in the mud & seaweed had to hose her down when we got home, smelly dog ! Walked her again at 7pm lots of drunk people laying on benches round the pond so we didn't stay long.

Spent most of the afternoon snoozing in the shade under the fan with puppy asleep on the cool tiled floor.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 8th Jul 18, 11:10 AM
    • 3,247 Posts
    • 18,842 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Hot hot hot ! Walked puppy at 7.30am the tide was in so she had fun on the beach running in and out of the sea after her ball. Took some water so we both sat in the shade afterwards and had a drink before walking home. Hosed puppy down at home to get salt water off her and scrubbed patio at same time. Have now put up parasols for some shade and filled puppy's paddling pool for later.

One load of washing towels hung out. One lot of bedding now washing towels should be dry by the time it has finished washing. Have filled a big bottle with water in fridge rather than buy cans of coke. It's a bit cloudier today so hopefully will not be as hot as yesterday !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 8th Jul 18, 4:15 PM
    • 13,452 Posts
    • 46,931 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hello well done on walking, hooray for the sea it'll cool the temperature a bit. I've just got in from Portchester Castle. It is v hot here too. I hope I am losing weight I feel like a round ball though.
    • Dimps_123
    • By Dimps_123 12th Jul 18, 8:47 AM
    • 71 Posts
    • 213 Thanks
    Dimps_123
    Hi I have been reading your posts and a lot of what you have been saying really resonates. I'm in my 40s, single for way too long, not enjoying my job, attempting to pay a stupid amount of debt and trying to understand what life is all about these days :-)

Some of the places some of you are visiting seem very local - I live in Lee on the Solent, so nice and close to the beach, though I don't visit as often as I should.

Take care and I look forward to reading more of your diary.
    xx
    DIMPS
    Working towards being debt free May 2022
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 13th Jul 18, 8:09 PM
    • 3,247 Posts
    • 18,842 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Welcome Dimps we are all friendly here. I try to get out and about with the puppy as much as possible come rain or snow ! but not in this heat phew ! Have walked her today at 5.30am and 7pm. I will probably get shot for saying this but I hope it cools down and we get some rain soon

The entertainment budget is doing well this month. I was taken out to lunch last weekend by a friend and used my birthday money to buy a jug of cocktails 7. Friends took me out on Monday for lunch at a beachfront restaurant which was lovely and didn't let me spend anything. Today I met up with another friend and we went for afternoon tea at a garden centre a few miles away which does lovely food, she had a voucher so it was 6 each for sandwiches, cakes and scones with clotted cream, jam and strawberries and a pot of tea. We spent some time wandering round looking at plants but I didn't buy any. I didn't eat all mine so they gave me a box to bring the rest of my cakes home.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 13-07-2018 at 8:12 PM.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 14th Jul 18, 7:37 AM
    • 3,247 Posts
    • 18,842 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Feeling a bit low today. Its the weekend and I have no plans to see anyone, DS has gone to work and I have walked the puppy. It looks like being another hot day today. I will ring a friend later and see if I can arrange something to do this afternoon somewhere in the shade that wont cost much ! I still have the ice points on my mastercard so have 10 to spend and would like to use it at Toby as I also have a voucher for a free ice cream but the friend who was supposed to be going with me has let me down

My new 0% credit card bill has arrived and once DS pays his "rent" tomorrow I will pay 50 off my debt. Then I will try and spend as little as possible for the rest of the month and throw anything left over at it too. Feeling a bit overwhelmed at the moment. Am trying to save but so much needs doing in the house especially the boiler which I think is "kettling" (looked it up online) and the timer is broken.

Lots of washing to do later. I bought a cheap pork joint in aldi last week and will put it in the slow cooker for pulled pork wraps tonight.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 14th Jul 18, 7:47 AM
    • 13,452 Posts
    • 46,931 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hello my lovely. I was feeling a bit low too. It may be because it's the weekend. I have watered the plants this morning. I wanted to go to the carboot but I don't have enough money.

We will chill and enjoy the weather in the garden together. Hopefully one of your friends will go out with you.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 14th Jul 18, 8:39 AM
    • 5,075 Posts
    • 44,126 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Wish you lovely ladies were near me, you could come over and chill in the garden and drink prosecco x

KW's at work all weekend, which will be lovely for his bank balance but....

DD's still in bed, but we have plans to do cleaning, mooch into town and go to the library and hopefully go in the pool. Fingers crossed the sun keeps on shining, and the chlorine tablet has done its best

I've also got to sort out a gazillion school-related things and would have loved company! Move dahn saarf my dears!
    Sealed tin and beach 2p saving - trying to put everything under 1 in my purse in tins each day
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 14th Jul 18, 4:41 PM
    • 3,247 Posts
    • 18,842 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I think we are mostly already dahn saarf just different parts.

It's so hot puppy is being naughty so has spent most of afternoon in her bed. I've managed 2 loads of washing and have been sitting in the kitchen with the patio doors open watching TV with my feet up hoping they won't swell much more

Slow cooker is on for pulled pork, we have wraps and salad and spring onions with either BBQ, sweet chilli & garlic sauces. I might just have a bit of gravy & apple sauce with mine.

DS will probably be out again after dinner. I suppose at least I have the dog for company and enjoy walking her when it's cool even tho she is a pain in the a** at times
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 14-07-2018 at 4:48 PM.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 15th Jul 18, 7:07 AM
    • 3,247 Posts
    • 18,842 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Have walked the puppy this morning and the weather is likely to be scorching again today. It was like autumn this morning lots of dry crispy leaves on the floor and the grass was damp. DS has gone to work. Plans for today

Pay credit card
    Hoover puppy room and kitchen tiles
    Do some sewing and mending
    All food from stores
    Wash and iron work clothes

Have a good Sunday everyone
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 15th Jul 18, 9:18 AM
    • 13,452 Posts
    • 46,931 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Hello I am still looking for it. lol. Driving me and the boys (who are on the phone) crazy. I could order a spare but by the time it turns up it will be found.

Well done on planning to do these things. I would just sort your clothes for work and chill as it will be hot.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 17th Jul 18, 7:17 PM
    • 3,247 Posts
    • 18,842 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Its been a bit cooler today but unfortunately I haven't been able to enjoy it as I have an ear infection I saw the doc yesterday and he gave me some spray to clear it up. Bad news on the throat & voice though he said he is running out of options and it may be permanent. I have 2 months to try and get a grip ! I need to make changes to my diet no chocolate, ice-cream and cut down on sugar plus no fizzy drinks, caffeine or spicy foods. I have also put some wooden blocks from the shed under the head of my bed to try and see if this makes any difference and whether reflux is causing the problems and try and get it under control.

I felt too poorly to walk puppy this morning but DS was home till lunch time & sorted her. I came home from work early and had a snooze and have just had a short stroll round the pond with her and am now laid down again.

Good news, I have made my first payment on my 0% credit card so balance will be down by 50 to 1310. I would like to try and get it down below 1300 by the end of the month.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 17th Jul 18, 11:14 PM
    • 5,075 Posts
    • 44,126 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Oh heck, that's not good news Skinty - not least that you have to cut out chocolate and ice cream! Maybe non-dairy versions will be okay?

Hope the drops work quickly.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 18th Jul 18, 9:19 PM
    • 13,452 Posts
    • 46,931 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Blimey I can't believe it is taking so long to sort. Mine started to get better a year ago with speech therapy. I don't know how you have stayed so strong. Hang in there my friend. I am so sorry Skinty. Well done on payment on credit card. That's great. It's nearly Friday and you can have some chill time.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 20th Jul 18, 7:44 PM
    • 3,247 Posts
    • 18,842 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Managed one day without ice cream ... I have no willpower I went to morresons after work today to try and get some sorbet but they didn't have any so will have to try elsewhere.

My credit card payment has gone through so its good to see the balance coming down.

I walked puppy for an hour this evening it was much cooler today but they are forecasting a scorching 30 degrees plus again next week. I have 10 left from my birthday money so I am going to get either a Chinese or Indian tonight, just off to order now !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 20th Jul 18, 7:47 PM
    • 13,452 Posts
    • 46,931 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    We have the same idea. I just had fish and chips. I was too tired to cook anything.

Hope you have a good day tomorrow. Ill be in London with over 40 tourists. lol.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

240Posts Today

2,769Users online

Martin's Twitter