Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    • 3,292Posts
    • 18,890Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Get a grip !
    • 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    Get a grip ! 5th Feb 17 at 11:27 AM
    Message to self ... get a grip ! Stop moaning about your job and do something about it. Reduce your outgoings so you can leave your job ! Save money so you can leave your job ! Downsize the house so you can leave your job !

Ok so I am mid-40's divorced with DS 21 still at home. He pays half of the bills and his own food (high protein diet).

I hate my job (in case you hadn't guessed lol) and would like to leave but at the moment it gives me financial security and lots of adaptations for my disabilities which put me off / makes me worry about getting a new job. I am not sure what the future will bring (at some point DS will leave home ...hopefully !) but I really need to get some savings in place.

So here goes........
    Balance 0% credit card to pay 1360 1310 1210 1160
Page 43
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 15th Apr 18, 6:22 AM
    • 3,292 Posts
    • 18,890 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Morning all, have been away and still here as DF has been in hospital seriously ill. At one point with organs failing and bed in intensive care being prepared, but he has pulled through and started to eat again

Not much saving done. Have parked 15 min walk from hospital every day for free parking and taken packed lunch last few days.

125 switch bonus received from natwest and paid onto credit card.

Will post again when I can. x
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 15th Apr 18, 7:44 AM
    • 13,528 Posts
    • 46,990 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    OMG Skinty, your poor father, I am so sorry for you. You have been through so much. I hope he is not in too much pain and they are making him as comfortable as possible.
    Christmas Fund 41.00 (Dec 1st 2018)
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 15th Apr 18, 8:35 AM
    • 5,105 Posts
    • 44,180 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Hugs Skint, sending get well soon wishes x Keep up the good no-spending work
    Sealed tin and beach 2p saving - trying to put everything under 1 in my purse in tins each day
    Moved house with my beloved DD and KW - 29.6.18
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 16th Apr 18, 7:25 AM
    • 3,292 Posts
    • 18,890 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    DF continues to make recovery. Quick post on my phone before turn mobile data off so don't go over my plan allowance.

Work have kindly allowed me a week compassionate leave and I'm using my last 5 days annual this week so hoping not to need to take unpaid leave or a payment holiday on my mortgage.

Off to hospital later. Just doing some washing hope to dry outside weather looking good so far.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 16th Apr 18, 11:32 AM
    • 13,528 Posts
    • 46,990 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I hope dad is ok. Well done on drying. I am going to try to do some today too.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 21st Apr 18, 9:06 PM
    • 3,292 Posts
    • 18,890 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    DF continues to make a good recovery thanks SW. He is home now and I've arranged for family members to stay / visit over the weekend and next week to make sure he settles in at home ok now they have let him leave the hospital.

I had a big fry up before travelling home so didn't need sandwiches from home / saved money on food at the services. But I did treat myself to an ice cream as it was so hot ! Also managed most of the journey without aircon, so managed to conserve fuel, only needed it at one point when stuck in non-moving traffic on M25.

Puppy has been very pleased to see me since I got back Had a lovely puppy walk in the evening sun yesterday and sunny but cool this morning. Cloudy this evening and some spots of rain.

Last week I got a refund from Which? I paid 2 for 2 months free trial with Which magazine to use their free money helpline to help with DM's probate. With DF being unexpectedly ill I missed the deadline to cancel by 2 days and was charged 5.60. When I rang to cancel next month the lovely lady refunded the 5.60 also which I wasn't expecting. Every little helps at the moment as my vax hoover has broken and I need to ring them on Monday to see if it can be repaired/replaced under warranty. In the meantime we have had no hoover, so I called on the way home and bought a shark dog hoover 189.99 on my 0% credit card. Unexpected spend but couldn't go any longer without hoovering up puppy hair ! So I will need to save as much as possible in the next few months to pay off the balance before the 0% runs out.

Today I have done some washing, 2 dog walks as DS on nights and going on holiday tomorrow, scrubbed the patio with disinfectant, cut half the lawn (its like a jungle) and will finish it next week and hoovered the puppy room carpet & kitchen floor tiles. I am going to have a rest day tomorrow, apart from puppy walks, as I am back at work on Monday.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 21-04-2018 at 9:09 PM.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 22nd Apr 18, 12:41 PM
    • 3,292 Posts
    • 18,890 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Lovely weather here today after the rain last night. I have done one puppy walk and put a load of washing out.

I've checked the freezer and cupboards and I should have enough food to last till payday. So I am going to try and have a no spend/no shopping week from Monday until payday on 30 April. I only need to get milk for me and apples/carrots for the dog and I have enough cash in my purse to get them from co-op later today. I should have enough petrol left in the car for a week at work.

DS is away on holiday now so I have had some of his bacon and eggs for breakfast
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 22nd Apr 18, 1:02 PM
    • 3,292 Posts
    • 18,890 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Just updating my signature re credit card
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 22nd Apr 18, 1:46 PM
    • 13,528 Posts
    • 46,990 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Crumbs you have been v busy. I do hope your father is recovering well. You have done sooo much. I hope you can rest a bit today. It is glorious here.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 23rd Apr 18, 1:02 PM
    • 13,528 Posts
    • 46,990 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I hope you are ok and enjoying the nice weather.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 23rd Apr 18, 2:32 PM
    • 3,292 Posts
    • 18,890 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    It's sunny but cold here. I went back to work today and my brain is like mush. I walked the dog when I got back and I've had spicy chicken from freezer with leftover salad for lunch.

I phoned vax and they are sending me a replacement hoover under warranty. It will be about 10 working days so I am glad I bought the new shark hoover at the weekend. It's fab at picking up puppy hair. The vax cordless will still be brill for the rest of the house and the stairs.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 23rd Apr 18, 7:33 PM
    • 13,528 Posts
    • 46,990 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done in surviving work and eating healthily. Glad your vacuum cleaner is being sorted. I am so interested in the Shark hoover - I keep seeing it on the telly. My hoover isn't v old so I can't upsize.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 24th Apr 18, 7:17 PM
    • 13,528 Posts
    • 46,990 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    How are you? I hope you had a good day.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 24th Apr 18, 7:28 PM
    • 3,292 Posts
    • 18,890 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I am so tired. I have been to work this morning and done 2 puppy walks, one in the sun and one this evening in the rain !

Online banking checked and money moved around to pay another credit card payment tomorrow. My house insurance is due for renewal next week so I need to get some quotes over the weekend.

I've used some mince from the freezer with some pasta for dinner. I've taken a West Country steak and ale pie out for tomorrow - I bought two a few weeks ago reduced from 2.60 to 65p.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 24th Apr 18, 7:31 PM
    • 13,528 Posts
    • 46,990 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    It is so good that you are having these puppy walks as walking is motivating. Good luck with renewal. Yum on bargain food.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 24th Apr 18, 8:44 PM
    • 3,292 Posts
    • 18,890 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I have been updating my SOA to try and get back on track after payday for saving and paying off 0% credit card and once I make a payment tomorrow there should be 600 left to pay.

Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet
    Household Information

Number of adults in household........... 1
    Number of children in household.........
    Number of cars owned.................... 1
    Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 1092.84
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
    Benefits................................ 0
    Other income............................ 300 food/bills from DS
    Total monthly income.................... 1392.84

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 211
    Council tax............................. 144.28
    Electricity............................. 0
    Gas..................................... 69.5 dual fuel
    Water rates............................. 45.82
    Mobile phone............................ 7.6
    TV Licence.............................. 12.37
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 36.49 plus phone/internet
    Groceries etc. ......................... 320
    Clothing................................ 0 included in annual bills
    Petrol/diesel........................... 40
    Road tax................................ 0 included in annual bills
    Car Insurance........................... 0 included in annual bills
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 28.04
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 50
    Haircuts................................ 0 included in annual bills
    Entertainment........................... 50
    Holiday................................. 0 (2 x council tax free months)
    Emergency fund.......................... 0
    annual bills............................ 100
    union fees.............................. 7.92
    Total monthly expenses.................. 1123.02

Secured & HP Debts[/b]
    Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Mortgage...................... 0........(211)......0
    Total secured & HP debts...... 0.........-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    car............................0.........160...... .0
    credit card....................600.......100.......0
    Total unsecured debts..........600.......260.......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 1,392.84
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 1,123.02
    Available for debt repayments........... 269.82
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 260
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 9.82

Personal Balance Sheet Summary
    Total assets (things you own)........... 0
    Total HP & Secured debt................. -0
    Total Unsecured debt.................... -600
    Net Assets.............................. -600

Created using the SOA calculator at www.stoozing.com.
    Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using other browser.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 24-04-2018 at 8:46 PM.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 25th Apr 18, 3:37 PM
    • 3,292 Posts
    • 18,890 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Sunny day today but very windy and some sharp showers.

I walked puppy in the sun when I got home from work then had a bag of curry noodles for lunch (pack of 4 for 1 in store cupboard).

This afternoon I finally went to the hospital and had my blood tests which would have been 2 weeks ago if DF had not fallen ill. Now that I've done the tests I can start taking the medication the doctor gave me in march to try and sort out my throat ! I also made a payment off my 0% credit card.

It was cold and raining when I came out of the hospital. I walked to the shop and bought a jar of tikka sauce 1 for dinner with some chicken from the freezer.

The petrol light came on today so I will need to put 10 in tomorrow. The car is being collected by the garage on Friday for a service so I need to put some petrol in or they will not be happy if it runs out on the way to the garage. They collect and deliver it back and wash & valet it as part of my service plan which includes service and MOT. The MOT passed in January.

I have a day off on Friday and a friend is coming round so I am looking forward to that.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 25-04-2018 at 3:39 PM.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 25th Apr 18, 3:43 PM
    • 13,528 Posts
    • 46,990 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I hope the blood tests go well. I can't believe you walked in the showers by me the showers were lethal. I was lucky when I walked I missed the rain.

I am glad you have Friday off - hurrah you can have fun.
    • pinknsparkly
    • By pinknsparkly 25th Apr 18, 4:43 PM
    • 81 Posts
    • 235 Thanks
    pinknsparkly
    I'm glad your dad is back home and comfy again! And big congrats on being able to update your signature that must feel great

The weather has been flipflopping between absolute downpours and blazing sunshine down here - and obviously it was a downpour during my lunchbreak when I was planning on going for a walk!!

I think I might have to look into your hoover - we have a long haired, super fluffy cat that sheds EVERYWHERE and whilst our hoover does pick it all up, it's quite a work out to do so (going over each bit of the carpet repeatedly on hands and knees!)
    Plan: buy a house in summer 2018

Realistic savings goal: 10% house deposit. DONE
    Super ambitious savings goal: 15% house deposit. DONE

Currently on 13.2% (2nd Apr '18) | 14.1% (2nd Jul '18) | 15.6% (31st Jul '18)
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 26th Apr 18, 4:22 PM
    • 3,292 Posts
    • 18,890 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Thanks Pink, its good to reduce the credit card bill but I am struggling at the moment financially after using most of my emergency fund travelling between home in the south and the north and the additional expenses I have had in the last few months. In fact I am in a bit of a mess.

I realised today that my line rental saver runs out and I need to find 196 or my monthly bill will increase by 19. I usually have the funds to pay this. My home insurance runs out on 1 May and I usually have the funds to pay this, but I may be able to find a pay monthly option hopefully at no extra cost. I think my car is going to need new tyres too I've only got 300 in the bills fund.

The new hoover is great for dog hair and sucks it up instantly I have just hoovered the car in about 15 minutes as it hasn't been cleaned since I took the dog up north when my mum passed away and it was too disgusting to let the garage have it tomorrow I probably shouldn't have bought it as that's another 200 on the 0% credit card but I couldn't manage 10 working days without a hoover when puppy is moulting (that's how long it will take vax to send me replacement)

Just feel really low at the moment
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,993Posts Today

8,606Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin