Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    • 3,192Posts
    • 18,779Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Get a grip !
    • 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    Get a grip ! 5th Feb 17 at 11:27 AM
    Message to self ... get a grip ! Stop moaning about your job and do something about it. Reduce your outgoings so you can leave your job ! Save money so you can leave your job ! Downsize the house so you can leave your job !

Ok so I am mid-40's divorced with DS 21 still at home. He pays half of the bills and his own food (high protein diet).

I hate my job (in case you hadn't guessed lol) and would like to leave but at the moment it gives me financial security and lots of adaptations for my disabilities which put me off / makes me worry about getting a new job. I am not sure what the future will bring (at some point DS will leave home ...hopefully !) but I really need to get some savings in place.

So here goes........
    Balance 0% credit card to pay 768.73. 600 649.37
Page 42
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 25th Jan 18, 8:43 AM
    • 13,303 Posts
    • 46,819 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I hope work is ok and you are not tired. Have a good day.
    Chiistmas Fund 80 (Dec 1st 2018)
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 25th Jan 18, 3:03 PM
    • 3,192 Posts
    • 18,779 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    First day back at work yesterday and I was exhausted ! Lots of meetings and welcome back after 2 weeks off... you are now invited to a disciplinary meeting next week I am waiting for my union rep to confirm she can attend with me.

I put the joint of pork in the slow cooker yesterday before I left for work in the morning and it was ready when I got home at 1pm. DS and I had some shredded with jacket potato and veg and gravy nom nom DS has taken leftovers with spicy rice for lunch at work today and I have just had some with skinny fries and peas from freezer. I took puppy to the park this afternoon and she had a mad run around after her ball. Now she is snoozing and I may go and join her in a minute

I am feeling much better today but still a bit tired. I have washed some old towels we use for washing down the puppy when she gets back from the muddy park field and hung them out to dry as it is warm and sunny with a good drying breeze.

I have paid a lump off my credit card now the statement has finally appeared online. So that leaves me with 405.11 left to pay before 0% runs out.

All leave is suspended at work so I have not been able to book time off to go up north next week. To be honest I am not sure I am yet up to driving 4-5 hours anyway. I will catch up with my friend next time I go home for a week.

I am glad its Friday tomorrow. Roll on payday. I have checked my pay statement online at work and the banks notified my employer of my new account so they should do the same this month and transfer the money into my new account so I shouldn't need to do anything.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 25th Jan 18, 3:33 PM
    • 13,303 Posts
    • 46,819 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Blooming work. It's good that you will have a rep with you. Do they honestly think you choose to be ill? There are such ignorant people in both of our workplaces. Rotters I hope your union rep whips them into shape.

Well done on cooking. I hope you are enjoying it. Hooray for payday. I can't wait for mine next week. Once the xmas credit card's are paid off I will feel so much better.
    Last edited by savingwannabe; 25-01-2018 at 6:05 PM.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 26th Jan 18, 6:54 PM
    • 3,192 Posts
    • 18,779 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Another day at work, another day nearer to payday !
    I was so tired last night I was falling asleep by 6pm. We ended up ordering pizza but I did use a 40% off voucher.

It was sunny this afternoon, I took puppy to vets for her claws clipping. It's included in the health care plan DS pays for. Afterwards I walked her on a field near the vets used by dog walkers and it was so muddy my walking boots were squelching and puppy was rolling around wallowing in it I have a blanket in the back of the car so she laid out on that for the drive home and then I put her straight in the bath ! So she is all fluffy and clean again.

I have cooked some chicken and rice for tea and DS tomorrow as I am going out. One of my friends is having a pamper party tomorrow so I am off for a massage and facial 20. We did the same a few months ago and it was lovely. I have bought a bottle of peach lambrini 2.99 and will pick up a quiche on the way. We all take some food and drink and I am looking forward to a lovely relaxing time.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 26-01-2018 at 6:56 PM.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 26th Jan 18, 8:14 PM
    • 13,303 Posts
    • 46,819 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done you for coping with work. I am not surprised you are tired. It's great you are walking so much and hurrah for the pamper party. It is just what you need.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 27th Jan 18, 8:39 AM
    • 3,192 Posts
    • 18,779 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Hurrah for the weekend

I have checked online banking and moved money around so I should have enough left in my current account to cover my car service plan direct debit 28, the 60 paid for breakdown cover, 20 for the pamper party massage and facial later today & 20 left to cover milk / bread and any bits of shopping needed before payday. If there is anything left on 31st I will transfer it to the 0% credit card. Things are going to plan so far this month with 50 in the birthdays / Christmas account and 200 left in the annual bills account (insurances, line rental saver etc)

I have just realised we have not been informing the pet insurance each time we have been to vets. I thought it was just if we were going to claim but it may be every visit . I am going to ring them at 9am when they open & hope we will not be in trouble.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 27-01-2018 at 8:42 AM.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 27th Jan 18, 5:36 PM
    • 13,303 Posts
    • 46,819 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done in sorting out your finances. I hope the pamper party is fun. I hope the insurance is sorted.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 28th Jan 18, 6:25 AM
    • 3,192 Posts
    • 18,779 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    The pamper party was excellent, I had a neck & shoulder massage and a sinus drainage facial total 20 and felt wonderful afterwards. It was so relaxing and we had lots of chat and laughter which also helped. We all took some nibbles, I spent 3 and a bottle of drink, I just took peach lambrini, which is lovely cold and not very strong 2.99.

Today I have checked online banking and later I need to check what food we have left and make a meal plan to last till payday. I will need to go to the coop and get milk but am hoping not to need anything else.

It rained for most of the day yesterday, but the forecast is dry today so I will walk the puppy this morning and hopefully get some washing done.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 28th Jan 18, 9:13 AM
    • 13,303 Posts
    • 46,819 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    I'm glad you enjoyed the pamper party. Happy walking today.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 28th Jan 18, 7:11 PM
    • 3,192 Posts
    • 18,779 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Forgot to mention pet insurance was sorted yesterday. I phoned them with the dates and treatments and they said no problem. All treatments after 14 days of policy start date and not claiming so she just said she needed to note them on records.

Today has been bright and breezy and fairly mild. Heating has been off all day. I did one load of work clothes on economy wash, dried outside and ironed / put away. I went to coop for milk and bread and peanut butter for puppy lol, stuck to budget. Have prepared a meal plan till payday. Eating up bits and pieces from freezer, last chicken Kiev for lunch with last few skinny fries and peas. Just trying to decide what to make with a chicken breast, maybe a quick curry sauce from gravy granuals and curry powder with half a pack of micro rice and more peas from freezer DS has gone out for dinner so no need to feed him

Back to work tomorrow. Petrol light came on yesterday so I will need to put 10 petrol in for the week.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 28th Jan 18, 8:36 PM
    • 13,303 Posts
    • 46,819 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on meal planning. Good luck at work and have a good night. Don't be stressed by any meetings just focus on the clock and the next pay day like I do.
    • pinknsparkly
    • By pinknsparkly 28th Jan 18, 11:17 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    pinknsparkly
    Well done on the meal planning!! I've had to do that this month too as we've had less than 50 to last most of the month. Fortunately I had a reasonable amount of food in the house but it has resulted in some "interesting" dinners! I've got some left over chicken from today and am planning a chicken risotto-style dinner tomorrow with it (using long grain rice, so takes a little longer to cook!), maybe you could try that? Payday is so close I can practically smell it
    Plan: buy a house in summer 2018
    Realistic savings goal: 10% house deposit. DONE
    Super ambitious savings goal: 15% house deposit. Currently on 13.2% (2nd Apr)

• Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 29th Jan 18, 5:57 PM
    • 3,192 Posts
    • 18,779 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Have just walked the puppy round the pond it's a full moon and the sky was tinged with red, very atmospheric !

Thanks for the food suggestion pinknsparkly, I don't eat rice very often but when I do it's usually half a bag of microwave basmati. They are 49p a bag in aldi and there is no waste. I had half a pot of natural yoghurt in the fridge last night which I mixed with tandoori spice and used to cook the chicken breast. Tonight I am doing a roast using up a whole chicken with leftovers for tomorrow. DS is on night shift so will be off to work around 9.30. Think I will have an early night.

Tomorrow I need to go to the card shop and get a 50th card for my friend. I will use the Christmas / birthday fund and get cards for birthdays coming up in next few months while I'm there.
    • pinknsparkly
    • By pinknsparkly 30th Jan 18, 11:34 AM
    • 74 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    pinknsparkly
    Just remember to actually send the cards! Last year I was really pleased with myself for being super organised and buying all the cards well in advance, but then forgot to actually send several of them Lol, at least (most) of them are still usable for this year!

• Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 4th Feb 18, 12:47 AM
    • 5,018 Posts
    • 44,028 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Oh dear Skint, I'm so sorry to read your news on the 'pleasures' thread. I wish I could do something to help you and your family right now, but can only send virtual hugs and prayers from afar. xx
    Sealed tin saving - trying to put everything under 1 in my purse in there each day
    House deposit savings 52,000
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 4th Feb 18, 5:17 AM
    • 3,192 Posts
    • 18,779 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Thank you Kittikins and SW for your kind messages it means a lot. For those who don't know my mum passed away suddenly and unexpectedly. Will be back some time in the weeks ahead x
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 10th Mar 18, 6:07 PM
    • 13,303 Posts
    • 46,819 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    We miss you and hope you are ok.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 28th Mar 18, 6:25 AM
    • 3,192 Posts
    • 18,779 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Its been a very difficult & emotional few months since I was last here. Its difficult to start posting again, lots of things seem meaningless and its still very raw, but all my spending has gone on 0% credit card, so I need to get back to posting here to help keep my spending under control & pay off the balance of my credit card.

I've just received the 25 cash back from MSE energy club which has been paid towards the credit card & once I get the bank switch 125 that will be paid to credit card also.

Puppy is well, growing like crazy, I've got a voucher for 3 off her dog food to use today. I've got enough left in the bank for petrol up north tomorrow, visiting DF for a week. I think its payday tomorrow as Friday is a bank holiday.

I will not have internet until I return home, so it will be a while before I post again, but I feel more in control now I have made a start.

Have a good Easter everyone x
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 28th Mar 18, 5:07 PM
    • 13,303 Posts
    • 46,819 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Well done on posting Skinty. We have missed you v much. Well done on the switch on the energy club. Glad puppy is keeping you company and I hope you and your DF have a restful time together. Just take it easy and remember to take it a step at a time love, swx
    • pinknsparkly
    • By pinknsparkly 2nd Apr 18, 1:46 PM
    • 74 Posts
    • 230 Thanks
    pinknsparkly
    I'm so sorry Skinty, I'd completely missed the news about your mum. From experience, things will feel meaningless for a long time yet, but you will gradually get there. One step at a time. I'm so glad you've got your puppy to keep you company, I honestly don't know how I'd have got through the last 18 months without my moggy to keep me company! Big hugs xxx

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

156Posts Today

1,494Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin