Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    • 3,213Posts
    • 18,799Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Get a grip !
    • 5th Feb 17, 11:27 AM
    Get a grip ! 5th Feb 17 at 11:27 AM
    Message to self ... get a grip ! Stop moaning about your job and do something about it. Reduce your outgoings so you can leave your job ! Save money so you can leave your job ! Downsize the house so you can leave your job !

Ok so I am mid-40's divorced with DS 21 still at home. He pays half of the bills and his own food (high protein diet).

I hate my job (in case you hadn't guessed lol) and would like to leave but at the moment it gives me financial security and lots of adaptations for my disabilities which put me off / makes me worry about getting a new job. I am not sure what the future will bring (at some point DS will leave home ...hopefully !) but I really need to get some savings in place.

So here goes........
    Balance 0% credit card to pay 1360.83
Page 39
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 26th Dec 17, 1:23 PM
    • 3,213 Posts
    • 18,799 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Christmas day over for another year. The meat I bought in Tesco was horrible and I will be complaining tomorrow and asking for my money back. Apart from that we ate, drank and watched movies. Today is mild, sunny and breezy but warm, I walked puppy this morning as DS is at work. Managed to get one load of washing out on the line and scrubbed down the patio. Had my day off yesterday its back to normal today I have checked online banking and moved some money around so I have 500 to pay off my credit card.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 26th Dec 17, 2:22 PM
    • 13,375 Posts
    • 46,869 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    How is your throat? I'm so sorry your meat was horrid. Mine was nice but I have loads left over and don't know what to do with it!!!!

Sorry you are back at work. I hope it was a gentle day. Glad you went for a walk.
    Chiistmas Fund 21.00 (Dec 1st 2018)
    Reminder: I HAVE EVERYTHING I COULD WANT so SAVE!!!!
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 26th Dec 17, 3:12 PM
    • 3,213 Posts
    • 18,799 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Not back at work till 2nd jan just back to normal housework today after my "day off" yesterday. What sort of meat did you have ? I would slice it up and freeze in portions so can defrost a meal at a time and then warm up with gravy or curry sauce. It's raining here now got to take dog out soon
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 26th Dec 17, 3:45 PM
    • 13,375 Posts
    • 46,869 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Poor you it's raining by me. Lodger has gone to the football match. The Daily Fail has an article on Tesco Turkey's you were not alone.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 27th Dec 17, 8:44 PM
    • 3,213 Posts
    • 18,799 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Its been really cold today. It was sleeting at 5.30 when puppy went out this morning, nothing really settled apart from a bit on the cars. I was glad she went back to sleep after her breakfast until 9am when I got up again.

I walked puppy at 9.30 and she rolled in the biggest muddiest puddle she could find so I had to wash her off when we got home. I was supposed to be going into town with friends but it was so cold and windy we decided to cancel until tomorrow. I was glad as my lurgy has gone to my chest and I feel very wheezy.

I went online to chat with Tesco about the awful meat I bought for Christmas dinner and they offered me 5 compensation, but I managed to get them up to 10. They are sending me a gift card which I can use for milk etc at my local Tesco express which is on the way to/from work. I took the box back to the main store I bought it from and got a full refund.

I slept for 2 1/2 hours this afternoon after second puppy walk.
    I did a bit of ironing and put a load of washing on airers to dry by the radiators this evening.
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 28th Dec 17, 9:57 AM
    • 13,375 Posts
    • 46,869 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Glad they gave you a refund. How awful we take the meat at the meal for granted. It didn't even occur to me that it could end up being bad!

Sorry about puppy she is still growing up and it sounds fun but tiring. She will give you years of love and company in the future.

Rest as much as you can as it'll be crazy when we go back to work. I'm off to town to meet friends. Rather excited. First time ive been out since xmas.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 29th Dec 17, 9:12 PM
    • 3,213 Posts
    • 18,799 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I went into town with friends yesterday. It was a lovely sunny day but the air was very cold made my chest ache. I bought a blue cardigan for work in the sales reduced to 14.99 and we went for lunch. It was 2 for 9.99 so my meal was just under 5 and I had a diet coke 2.15.

I am very tired today and my cough is worse. I text my friend who I was supposed to be going out for coffee with and we will reschedule for the new year. It was lashing down with rain this morning but brightened up this afternoon. I walked the puppy after the rain just round the corner to the park and she ran around for half an hour chasing her ball. After that I popped to sainburys for tinned pumpkin for the dog (don't ask !) and got a few other bits and pieces salad & cold meat and nibbles for new years eve. I'm not going out and DS is working. I got half price coleslaw and fajita packet mix was on offer half price so I bought 6. On the way home I got a big mac and fries for 1.99 thanks to MSE I washed a load of dog towels and they dried on the line within 2 hours in the wind. There is loads of stuff needs doing in the house but I just don't have the energy. DS walked the puppy this afternoon while I had a snooze
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 29th Dec 17, 9:23 PM
    • 13,375 Posts
    • 46,869 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    OMG poor you. I think some chill time at home is needed. Watch telly, wrap self in blanket, do nails and chill. DS can walk puppy for tomorrow. Dr SW has spoken
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 30th Dec 17, 7:09 AM
    • 3,213 Posts
    • 18,799 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Feet up resting today just what doctor SW ordered

DS is on his way home from work he had to go 50 miles away on night shift last night so will be exhausted after the drive back so I will be walking the puppy this morning. He will do the afternoon walk.

Today I need to pay some money onto my credit card. I have decided to change my current account back to my previous bank after payday at the end of January. I have been paid so I am now updating my SOA ready for the end of the month / end of the year review tomorrow.
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 30-12-2017 at 7:17 AM.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 30th Dec 17, 8:46 AM
    • 5,049 Posts
    • 44,060 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Your second opinion is in - Dr Kittikins concurs with her learned colleague, today is to be a day for resting and chilling

Get well soon pretty please!

What does your DS do that means he has to work so far away? I'm far too lazy these days to do much in the way of commuting. When I went to look at a couple of schools recently, one of the main reasons for turning them down before applying was the add-on to my commute (and the fact I love my class!!)
    Sealed tin saving - trying to put everything under 1 in my purse in there each day
    House deposit savings 52,000
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 30th Dec 17, 8:48 AM
    • 13,375 Posts
    • 46,869 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Glad that you are following advice.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 1st Jan 18, 6:06 AM
    • 3,213 Posts
    • 18,799 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Morning all Happy New Year ! I'm afraid I was in bed by 10.30 I vaguely heard cheering and fireworks at some point then was woken by the dog at 4.30. Anyway not doing much today relaxing and dinner this afternoon. DS home from work in about an hour so we will have breakfast together before he goes to bed.

Have a good day and a great moneysaving 2018 !!!!
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 01-01-2018 at 6:08 AM.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 1st Jan 18, 11:14 AM
    • 5,049 Posts
    • 44,060 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Happy New Year!

DD and I stayed up, albeit snuggled up in my bed, watching stuff on our laptops, then closed one lid to watch the fireworks We had loads going on outside the house as well, which the dog was incensed by, which was one of the reasons we were hidden away upstairs...
    Sealed tin saving - trying to put everything under 1 in my purse in there each day
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 2nd Jan 18, 4:41 PM
    • 3,213 Posts
    • 18,799 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Well folks its the 2nd of January so here's my monthly review of the highlights for December

- saved 100 into annual bills account
    - saved 50 into birthdays / xmas account
    - paid 310 off 0% credit card
    - switched gas and electric to a cheaper tariff as my fix was ending & will get 30 cash back after 3 months
    - old gas & electric account is 43.83 in credit just waiting for refund

- puppy was spayed using 50% off voucher
    - donated pet carriers to local animal charity - they were sent in error by amaxon who told us to keep them so we had 3 to donate

- posted xmas cards in time to use 2nd class stamps instead of 1st
    - got lots of bargains on offer for DS stocking
    - got lots of veg on xmas offers

- got a full refund on awful xmas meat 12 from Tesco & 10 compensation voucher

- HbA1c reduced
    - took advantage of the McD 1.99 big mac and fries offer
    - returned clothes that didn't fit to George for refund onto credit card
    - had a lovely 3 course meal out at zizzy with friends on 23rd and total spend including drinks and transport 30
    - got a mini Christmas tree in wilko 6 in sale after reading weekly email

- Had 2 weeks of work ... its Chrissmas
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 2nd Jan 18, 4:49 PM
    • 3,213 Posts
    • 18,799 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Well it was back at work today. Feeling better after a relaxing day yesterday. We had a lovely roast dinner with Aldi shoulder of lamb I had bought on offer and put in freezer, it was a much better dinner than xmas days disaster ! My cough has almost gone and work went quickly enough. I went to aldi on my way home for some food and cleaning bits, bleach dishwasher tablets etc. total spend 47.00 then called into co-op and got 6 pack pepsi max on offer 2 and xmas cards on offer 75p for next year !

I need to get back on track with recording my spending this month as I want to pay off my 0% credit card as soon as possible. I have used it to buy Christmas presents and do work on the house so I need to transfer money from my savings accounts to cover most of this and then pay off the rest before the 0% ends. It was planned spending but I still don't like having a balance so high to pay off !
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 2nd Jan 18, 5:35 PM
    • 13,375 Posts
    • 46,869 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Yum to the roast! Well done on bargains in the Coop. A tree for 6 and low price cards that's great! It's great that you know you will pay the 0% credit card off. I will pay off this month's card and next months even if I have to live on beans and toast.

All in all it's been a good start to the year.
    • Kittikins
    • By Kittikins 3rd Jan 18, 7:00 PM
    • 5,049 Posts
    • 44,060 Thanks
    Kittikins
    Glad your return to work has been good
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 3rd Jan 18, 10:53 PM
    • 3,213 Posts
    • 18,799 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    Well the first day back was good. Today was a struggle and I'm having an anxiety attack at the moment about tomorrow. I wish I had just phoned in sick So my news years resolution is to start searching for another job.

Puppy was almost out of food today so I used a voucher to get 3 off and they actually gave me 4 off ! I also went to morresons and got a cauliflower, double cream and a bag of 4 jacket potatoes and 2 packs of curry noodles total cost 2.99. I had a bag of noodles for lunch with the last of the leftover lamb from ny day. Tonight we had leftover gammon with jacket potato and cauli cheese. I cheat with cheese sauce and just melt cheese into double cream no lumps !!
    • savingwannabe
    • By savingwannabe 3rd Jan 18, 11:17 PM
    • 13,375 Posts
    • 46,869 Thanks
    savingwannabe
    Please take it easy and be kind to yourself. Speak to the GP about counselling to help cope with eejits at work. Have a good night. Focus on the good things and take work a day at a time. When you get home do nice things.
    • Skint yet Again
    • By Skint yet Again 6th Jan 18, 6:58 AM
    • 3,213 Posts
    • 18,799 Thanks
    Skint yet Again
    I have finally got round to working out my budget for January and I should have 100 left over to pay onto my 0% credit card.

Statement of Affairs and Personal Balance Sheet
    Monthly Income Details

Monthly income after tax................ 1092.84
    Partners monthly income after tax....... 0
    Benefits................................ 0
    Other income............................ 300 DS food & half bills
    Total monthly income.................... 1392.84

Monthly Expense Details

Mortgage................................ 211.8
    Council tax............................. 134
    Electricity............................. 0
    Gas..................................... 69.5 & electric
    Water rates............................. 44.23
    Telephone (land line)................... 36.49 internet & tv package
    Mobile phone............................ 7.55
    TV Licence.............................. 12.12
    Satellite/Cable TV...................... 0
    Internet Services....................... 0
    Groceries etc. ......................... 320
    Clothing................................ 0
    Petrol/diesel........................... 40
    Road tax................................ 0
    Car Insurance........................... 0
    Car maintenance (including MOT)......... 28.04
    Presents (birthday, christmas etc)...... 50
    Haircuts................................ 0
    Entertainment........................... 50
    Holiday................................. 0
    Emergency fund.......................... 0
    annual bills............................ 100
    union fees.............................. 15.68
    Total monthly expenses.................. 1119.41

Secured & HP Debts

Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    Mortgage...................... 30000....(211.8)....0
    Total secured & HP debts...... 30000.....-.........-

Unsecured Debts
    Description....................Debt......Monthly.. .APR
    car loan.......................0.........160.......0
    Total unsecured debts..........0.........160.......-

Monthly Budget Summary

Total monthly income.................... 1,392.84
    Expenses (including HP & secured debts). 1,119.41
    Available for debt repayments........... 273.43
    Monthly UNsecured debt repayments....... 160
    Amount left after debt repayments....... 113.43

Created using the SOA calculator at www.stoozing.com.
    Reproduced on Moneysavingexpert with permission, using other browser.

Annual bills covers car tax, house insurance, car insurance, line rental saver, hair cuts, and anything else is used as an emergency fund for household repairs or replacement white goods etc
    Last edited by Skint yet Again; 06-01-2018 at 7:01 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

229Posts Today

2,190Users online

Martin's Twitter