Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • choille
    • By choille 4th Feb 17, 10:31 PM
    • 5,521Posts
    • 28,248Thanks
    choille
    Best Place To Sell Car
    • 4th Feb 17, 10:31 PM
    Best Place To Sell Car 4th Feb 17 at 10:31 PM
    Elderly neighbour is house bound and wants to sell his car. He's hardly driven it since new and has all service history.

He thinks that selling through the people who sold it new to him may not be the best place but doesn't want the hassle of people at the door.

Any advice welcome.
Page 1
    • weeowens
    • By weeowens 5th Feb 17, 12:45 AM
    • 79,219 Posts
    • 9,724,440 Thanks
    weeowens
    • 5th Feb 17, 12:45 AM
    • 5th Feb 17, 12:45 AM
    Via an auction house or We Buy Any Car seems the quickest, least risky ways but may not get the best price.
    Just my thoughts though.
    • wgl2014
    • By wgl2014 5th Feb 17, 7:52 AM
    • 878 Posts
    • 555 Thanks
    wgl2014
    • 5th Feb 17, 7:52 AM
    • 5th Feb 17, 7:52 AM
    What car is it?

Are they bothered about what they get for it?

If it's a good example of a now unusual car then the relevant makes owners club would be a good bet, although this would mean a private sale and buyers coming round you are much less likely to get messed about. This would get the best price as well.

If it's just a case of get it gone then try getting quotes from a few online or local car buying companies but be prepared to receive some low offers.
    • choille
    • By choille 5th Feb 17, 12:01 PM
    • 5,521 Posts
    • 28,248 Thanks
    choille
    • 5th Feb 17, 12:01 PM
    • 5th Feb 17, 12:01 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

I think I'll get a few quotes on-line for them so that they can compare when original seller offers them a price.

It would be a bargain for someone as it's as new almost and very low mileage but they don't want people coming to the house.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 5th Feb 17, 2:23 PM
    • 21,145 Posts
    • 16,960 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 5th Feb 17, 2:23 PM
    • 5th Feb 17, 2:23 PM
    Four options (there may be others) are:

1) Sell to a garage
    2) Sell through a garage (they sell it for the owner and take a cut)
    3) Use a car buying service such as WBAC
    4) Send it to auction

None of these can guarantee that the eventual owner won't come to his house as his name and address will be on the V5C, but at least they won't be coming there to buy it.
    • hollie.weimeraner
    • By hollie.weimeraner 5th Feb 17, 2:33 PM
    • 1,657 Posts
    • 1,180 Thanks
    hollie.weimeraner
    • 5th Feb 17, 2:33 PM
    • 5th Feb 17, 2:33 PM
    Or alternatively are you prepared and trusted enough to sell it on their behalf. I have always found Autotrader to be the best place and they also give a suggested selling price for the car when you enter the reg number which you can compare with WBAC offers.

Be aware WBAC will make an offer online and invariably offer less for minor marks when the car is presented
    • RickRastardly
    • By RickRastardly 5th Feb 17, 9:11 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 15 Thanks
    RickRastardly
    • 5th Feb 17, 9:11 PM
    • 5th Feb 17, 9:11 PM
    Private sale is the highest price you can get for it, WBAC will offer a pittance and still may mess you around by lowering the price even more upon receipt of a car because it has various ridiculous things wrong with it.
    • choille
    • By choille 5th Feb 17, 9:56 PM
    • 5,521 Posts
    • 28,248 Thanks
    choille
    • 5th Feb 17, 9:56 PM
    • 5th Feb 17, 9:56 PM
    Thanks everyone - really good advice here - much appreciated.

I'll get them some quotes off websites & also ask localish garage - who are good & decent if they would be interested in selling on their behalf on commission.

That way they have an idea when they get an offer from original sellers.

I think that they will be offered a very low sum - most of the mileage has been it being collected for a service & returned by garage who charged them a small fortune.

I don't want to get too involved as it's not my expertise at all. If I drove a car I would make them an offer above what they will get quoted as it's a beauty with only a few thousand miles on the clock. Immaculate inside and out.

Thanks guys.
    • Hintza
    • By Hintza 6th Feb 17, 7:57 AM
    • 19,014 Posts
    • 13,960 Thanks
    Hintza
    • 6th Feb 17, 7:57 AM
    • 6th Feb 17, 7:57 AM
    I don't agree that WBAC will offer a pittance. Of course they will never offer the best deal but in the way of things it will be a lowish but fair price. Describe the car accurately and they won't be able to reduce the price by much on inspection.

Of course they will reduce the value for dings scratches and kerbed alloys but that is only fair.
    • loskie
    • By loskie 6th Feb 17, 8:03 AM
    • 1,372 Posts
    • 811 Thanks
    loskie
    There are similar companies to WBAC,
    I sold my car through The Car Buying Group. No fees, emailed on a Tuesday, they called me on Weds we haggled a deal, the car was paid for and collected on Tuesday. No haggling on agreed price on collection day as it was as I had described. In fact if anything I was too honest in my appraisal.
    Price was a few hundred more than wbac.
    • Dr Crypto
    • By Dr Crypto 6th Feb 17, 2:59 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    Dr Crypto
    I'm in a similar situation. I have inherited a car so am looking to sell my 2014 Audi A1.
    Parker's suggests 9,800 for a private sale. WBAC is offering 8,700 and The Car Buying Group 8,500.
    I can't be bothered with tyre-kickers and time-wasters so I'm not going down the road of a private sale. I've tried a few local used car places but most haven't bothered getting back to me so it looks like I'm stuck with WBAC.
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 6th Feb 17, 3:24 PM
    • 2,788 Posts
    • 1,582 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    I can't be bothered with tyre-kickers and time-wasters so I'm not going down the road of a private sale. I've tried a few local used car places but most haven't bothered getting back to me so it looks like I'm stuck with WBAC.
    Originally posted by Dr Crypto
    Its totally upto you but I do not believe there are many people on this forum or the UK that have the option to throw away 1000+ over a few timewasters.
    • Nasqueron
    • By Nasqueron 6th Feb 17, 3:27 PM
    • 5,756 Posts
    • 3,485 Thanks
    Nasqueron
    Its totally upto you but I do not believe there are many people on this forum or the UK that have the option to throw away 1000+ over a few timewasters.
    Originally posted by foxy-stoat
    Lot depends if your time is worth that - if you are having to use up holiday time or unable to work because you are waiting in to see buyers / test drive etc then it might be better for you to use a buyer like WBAC - say a plumber who can't do 3-4 jobs and loses the business as she's in waiting for someone to come round
    • foxy-stoat
    • By foxy-stoat 6th Feb 17, 4:25 PM
    • 2,788 Posts
    • 1,582 Thanks
    foxy-stoat
    I work 8am to 6pm and do not work weekends, I have sold a few cars without any issues.

I am sure a plumber will be able to schedule a half an hour viewing or 3 around their schedule.

If you earn in excess of 150 an hour then WBAC will be a good solution for you.
    • Dr Crypto
    • By Dr Crypto 6th Feb 17, 7:25 PM
    • 136 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    Dr Crypto
    Got 9,200 from a local dealer which I accepted. Saves me paying two lots of tax and insurance and I've read too many horror stories about people being ripped off and having cars stolen.
    • AlTimian
    • By AlTimian 10th Aug 18, 5:24 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    AlTimian
    Always best to try local dealers first, and then there's the obvious online ones to try for indicative valuations and instant offers:

AutoTrader / WeBuy and Motorway.co.uk worked for me - I chose The Car Buying Group who I wouldn't have found otherwise. Compare compare compare
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,363Posts Today

9,502Users online

Martin's Twitter