Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Martin
    • By MSE Martin 24th Sep 07, 5:40 PM
    • 8,111Posts
    • 42,248Thanks
    MSE Martin
    Great Ways To Save Money And Turn Green Hunt
    • 24th Sep 07, 5:40 PM
    Great Ways To Save Money And Turn Green Hunt 24th Sep 07 at 5:40 PM
    What's it about?

MoneySaving doesn’t always go with green issues (cheap flights springs to mind) but often going green saves you serious cash. Whether it's water meters, using less gas & elec or even getting energy saving grants.

What do I want to you to do?

So I wanted to tap MoneySavers' collective wisdom for your top tips to save money by going green.

Click post reply to give your tips

Last edited by MSE Martin; 25-09-2007 at 10:34 PM.
    Martin Lewis, Money Saving Expert.
    Please note, answers don't constitute financial advice, it is based on generalised journalistic research. Always ensure any decision is made with regards to your own individual circumstance.

Don't miss out on urgent MoneySaving, get my weekly e-mail at www.moneysavingexpert.com/tips.

Debt-Free Wannabee Official Nerd Club: (Honorary) Members number 000
Page 1
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 26th Sep 07, 8:52 AM
    • 6,430 Posts
    • 4,103 Thanks
    Ken68
    • 26th Sep 07, 8:52 AM
    • 26th Sep 07, 8:52 AM
    Not sure if this counts, but FORAGING saves me 2 a week, and the produce is free, and not flown halfway round the world.
    I'm thinking of blackberries, sloes, hazelnuts, apples and so on. Not available to everyone, and not sure of the urban equivelent and make sure it's legal, quids in.
    Last edited by Former MSE Lawrence; 02-10-2007 at 4:29 PM.
  • flatty
    • 26th Sep 07, 9:07 AM
    • 26th Sep 07, 9:07 AM
    Morrisons are selling Phillips Low energy light bulbs (60 and 100w) for 39p each. So cheap bulbs and save electricity.

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 02-10-2007 at 11:27 AM.
    • Kantankrus Mare
    • By Kantankrus Mare 26th Sep 07, 9:24 AM
    • 5,384 Posts
    • 13,832 Thanks
    Kantankrus Mare
    • 26th Sep 07, 9:24 AM
    • 26th Sep 07, 9:24 AM
    Get rid of your electric guzzling tumble dryer.

Ive been without mine for a year now and have noticed the difference in my bills.

Admittedly its more difficult through the winter but my cupboard under the stairs has a boiler in it so i put clothes on an airer over night and by morning they are dry.

Good for the environment and good for my pocket. Win win situation
    Make 10 a day challenge 2018 Jan/163.14/Feb 116.10/March 5,060.77/April 160.28/May 124.83/Jun 236.71/July 183.73/Aug 251.84/Sep 366.48/Oct 169.63/Nov 173.40
    Walk 2000 miles in 2017....1780.35 miles
    Walk 2018 miles in 2018...1646.73 miles
    Mortgage...47,07046,09245,626.44,182,43,721
  • guiding_barnowl
    • 26th Sep 07, 9:27 AM
    2 suggestions
    • 26th Sep 07, 9:27 AM
    Green Metropolis is a great website that allows you to sell your own second-hand books & buy from others - good for the environment & the bank balance ! (www.greenmetropolis.com )

Freecycle is a national network of local groups which are all about passing on your unwanted items to someone else, to avoid sending items to landfill when they still have useful life. And of course, getting items you need for the home for free is handy too ! Visit uk.freecycle.org for details of local groups.
  • NafUk
    • 26th Sep 07, 9:31 AM
    • 26th Sep 07, 9:31 AM
    Even if you do not have a water meter: if it's yellow, let it mellow, if it's brown, flush it down.
    Turn off lights, including outside lights.
    Walk or cycle to work.
    Compost in your own garden: don't use the brown council bins - free compost and less pollution and lorries (if everyone did it).
    Don't fly - long term money saving on environmental costs for our children and people in poorer countries who suffer immediately from climate change.
  • TFN
    • 26th Sep 07, 10:05 AM
    Fit a solar thermal panel
    • 26th Sep 07, 10:05 AM
    I am biased as I fit them for a living, but in my opinion the best long term way of saving money and going green is to fit a solar (water heating) panel. It will save on fuel costs and CO2 emmisions.
  • harryhound
    • 26th Sep 07, 10:07 AM
    I need to fill my cavities - but I'm so confused.
    • 26th Sep 07, 10:07 AM
    "Hound Hovel" started life in 1928 as a shack. Like topsy it has grown since then and now is a 150 sq meter bungalow.

Some of its walls are solid 9" "Durox" (225mm foam concrete looks like aero chocolate) - I know I built them.

The hovel has a pod built on the back in the 1970's, when grants were given to people without kitchens and bathrooms; this sticks out 11' and is 17' across (3.350 x 5.220). This is a brick-2"cavity-block standard wall, that would have been built under the supervision of the local authority.

The rest of the building was (re)-built by an early retired man, who died in the effort. He appears to have made it up as he went along. I have discovered some walls built of 4" clinker "breeze" block laid on its side:rolleyes: and clinker-cavity-clinker, but with a narrow cavity, more like 1" than 2" (and sometimes appearing to have been built without the use of a level or plumb line:rolleyes

The whole structure is pebble-dashed to hide the sins of its builders.

So I am not the ideal candidate for a semi trained, self employed, commission only, salesman; pretending to be an "energy" consultant.

As well as my misgivings about how to get an experienced person to give me a quote; I am totally confused by the complex structure of "subsidies" in this market.

Though in my 60's, I don't think I qualify for the up front cash subsidies available to those on benefit or at risk of "fuel poverty". However there are generalised "subsidies" in the form of obligations put on power suppliers (I have no mains gas) and in the form of VAT rebates.

The whole situation seems a bit like the mobile 'phone market, where the only thing one can say is what ever deal you get; it will turn out to be not the best deal you could have got.

But the difference, when filling your cavity, is that you are stuck with your wrong decision.

Does anyone have recent experience or up to date knowledge of the market or local knowledge of good firms in the Essex market? Can you point me, and the rest of us, in the right direction?

Harry.

PS I also need to upgrade the insulation in the loft from 4" - 6" to 11"; and it is a big loft. This is a job I can do myself BUT here again there are subsidies floating about, so there is not much point in doing it myself if some other operative is subsidised to do it for me?
    Last edited by harryhound; 26-09-2007 at 10:10 AM.
  • Shanynee
    • 26th Sep 07, 10:23 AM
    • 26th Sep 07, 10:23 AM
    Sometimes the old ways are the best ways...Take a hot water bottle to bed rather than leaving the radiators on in bedrooms.

Last edited by Former MSE Natasha; 02-10-2007 at 11:24 AM.
    • anniebeetham
    • By anniebeetham 26th Sep 07, 10:39 AM
    • 24 Posts
    • 22 Thanks
    anniebeetham
    Turning greener all the time
    Yes to solar panel - I've had mine for about 5 years & it's just brilliant.
    Haven't had a tumble dryer for years - clothes dried outside when possible then into big airing cupboard to finish off or hung on the long brass bar over the stove. I don't iron much either.
    Got rid of dishwasher, but realise that for those with children & working full time it may be too much of a wrench.
    Economy 7 with timer switches for washing machines (& dishwasher if you must).
    I think that hot water bottles are one of the world's best inventions - I use an old whistling kettle & empty the water from the bottle to reheat each time. With a water meter you learn these things!
    Wash car with water from water butts.

There are loads more.

What I'd really like to do is find some workable low-tech way of using rainwater to at least flush loo & if possible use for washing machine too, but that may be too ambitious. There are patented rain harvesting systems with underground tanks but they are extremely expensive - there must be simpler ways. It just seems daft to me to use expensive treated water to flush down the loo. Any ideas anyone?
  • anne_sussex
    Couple of points re insulation help while on benefits:

Seems to me daft that, having several years ago had the Local Authority install 4" loft insulation, on the upgrade I could not have the further 6" "owing to Health and Safety Regulations" ~ something about not having 7ft 6ins. clearance. When the roof is pitched, how can anyone have 7ft 6ins clearance? I was incredibly disappointed.

However, one person did give me a great idea for behind the radiators. Buy those car window heat reflectors from the local Pound shop (actually 99p) and stick them behind the rads with double sided sticky tape.

Another idea for a really hot summer with southfacing windows ~ even if they are double glazed ~ buy 1" thick white expanded polystyrene sheets and cut to fit the window. Sit on cill and keep in place with elastic. Makes a wonderful triple-glazing and the light still gets in. I bought two panels of 4ft x 10ft and one went in the sitting room window, the other up against the front door.

Oh, and check the timer for your Economy 7, if you have it. Don't take it for granted that it is always in the middle of the night. For example, you don't want to set your washing machine for midnight when the timer is not going to come on until 4am.

Bosch do a small sized washing machine for single people, or did a couple of years ago, half the depth of a normal machine. Basic but v. good, saves water usage.
  • harryhound
    Polystyrene Sheets.
    Probably works in the winter too, especially after dark behind the drawn curtains ?

However, were I a safety officer/building inspector, I would be getting "twitchy" about the "surface spread of flame regulations"; so make sure there is no possible potential source of fire.

[Reminds me of proudly coming back from a fete as a kid and putting the goldfish bowl I won on the windowsill; dad got it in the neck for making cigarette burns in the curtains].
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 26th Sep 07, 11:30 AM
    • 6,430 Posts
    • 4,103 Thanks
    Ken68
    Quote........What I'd really like to do is find some workable low-tech way of using rainwater to at least flush loo & if possible use for washing machine too, but that may be too ambitious..unquote

A bucket Annie. Filter the rainwater first thru a muslin or large kitchen strainer. A fat splash preventer has a finer mesh.Keep these items for the purpose. If you start using pipes and gravity tanks, you're into more and more cleaning. My water bill is 20 a year. Not evryones cuppa.
    • Ken68
    • By Ken68 26th Sep 07, 11:34 AM
    • 6,430 Posts
    • 4,103 Thanks
    Ken68
    "Hound Hovel" started life in 1928 as a shack. Like topsy it has grown since then and now is a 150 sq meter bungalow.

Some of its walls are solid 9" "Durox" (225mm foam concrete looks like aero chocolate) - I know I built them.

The hovel has a pod built on the back in the 1970's, when grants were given to people without kitchens and bathrooms; this sticks out 11' and is 17' across (3.350 x 5.220). This is a brick-2"cavity-block standard wall, that would have been built under the supervision of the local authority.

The rest of the building was (re)-built by an early retired man, who died in the effort. He appears to have made it up as he went along. I have discovered some walls built of 4" clinker "breeze" block laid on its side:rolleyes: and clinker-cavity-clinker, but with a narrow cavity, more like 1" than 2" (and sometimes appearing to have been built without the use of a level or plumb line:rolleyes

The whole structure is pebble-dashed to hide the sins of its builders.

So I am not the ideal candidate for a semi trained, self employed, commission only, salesman; pretending to be an "energy" consultant.

As well as my misgivings about how to get an experienced person to give me a quote; I am totally confused by the complex structure of "subsidies" in this market.

Though in my 60's, I don't think I qualify for the up front cash subsidies available to those on benefit or at risk of "fuel poverty". However there are generalised "subsidies" in the form of obligations put on power suppliers (I have no mains gas) and in the form of VAT rebates.

The whole situation seems a bit like the mobile 'phone market, where the only thing one can say is what ever deal you get; it will turn out to be not the best deal you could have got.

But the difference, when filling your cavity, is that you are stuck with your wrong decision.

Does anyone have recent experience or up to date knowledge of the market or local knowledge of good firms in the Essex market? Can you point me, and the rest of us, in the right direction?

Harry.

PS I also need to upgrade the insulation in the loft from 4" - 6" to 11"; and it is a big loft. This is a job I can do myself BUT here again there are subsidies floating about, so there is not much point in doing it myself if some other operative is subsidised to do it for me?
    Originally posted by harryhound
    Just had a card from the council, e.g. loft insulation 100 max DIY 75 and TRV 10 each DIY. So see your council.
  • StoozingSteve
    Solar Power
    I am having a conservator fitted soon, and would Ideally like to run it through Solar power (if possible), tried looking at a few sites, but all seems very confusing.

Looking for a straight forward site that does everything, IE panels batteries connection, with a all in simple price.

my tips are...
    1. Energy light bulbs are great, converted most of my house,
    2. Only boil as much water as you need.
    3. Full loads in the washing machine
    4. turn off TV and computers when not in use.
    5. turn off lights when you leave the room.
    Saved a fortune in last 18mths, mill elec bill came down!!!
  • JenniO
    Ken68 - Can you expand on how you achieve a 20 a year water bill? Very interested!
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 26th Sep 07, 3:52 PM
    • 27,547 Posts
    • 13,516 Thanks
    Cardew
    I am biased as I fit them for a living, but in my opinion the best long term way of saving money and going green is to fit a solar (water heating) panel. It will save on fuel costs and CO2 emmisions.
    Originally posted by TFN
    Not only are you biased but you are talking absolute rubbish.

This is a money saving site and this thread is specifically about saving money by going green.

Give us any figures to show they are money saving, but remember there are people on this site who understand the subject.
  • Hulud the undertaker
    Insulate heating pipes to save gas
    Not sure if it has been posted already: I have an old style boiler and before many hot pipes ran allong walls and in the airing cupborad. a susbtantial ammount of heat was lost trough the pipes without any benefit for the house. I bought cheap pipe insulation (any DIY shop has them) and can now report that I had a decrease in the gas bills as a result of this. They are very easy to install and are relatively inexpensive. One tip though do not buy the more expensive "water board" thick insulation (it doesn't make that much of a diff in terms of savings). However do buy the ready made "Shoulders", they are brilliant for corners. All in all I must have covered about 25 metres of pipe.
    Now the heat is only released from the radiators, where I want, and not just anywhere. It is green becuse it saves gas, helps to keep the house warmer and doesn't cost the earth
    From Arakis with Love
    • Poppycat
    • By Poppycat 26th Sep 07, 4:31 PM
    • 12,644 Posts
    • 9,571 Thanks
    Poppycat
    I recently replaced my gu10's, spots and candle bulbs to energy saving bulbs (not the normal £1 ones you can get in supermarket), whilst this may costs me about £60-£70 it will pay in the long run. As I monitor and record my energy bills every month on 25th, I already yesterday noticed by electricity bill falling even though we haven't changed our habits and will use more light as the days getting shorter

I still have 3 candles bulbs to change to change yet but had to order them and wholesaler only carries a small stock of the megaman bulbs

I also have loft well insulated and plan on using CT much less, have a modern thermostat, some of the rads have insulation behind them (home made, bubble wrap, foil and card board). Also now have a Log burner at great expense and use free wood when I can.
    Last edited by Poppycat; 26-09-2007 at 5:41 PM.

• rainbow-kristie
    avoiding new stuff saves money and resources
    May seem obvious, but I try and save money and be green by not buying stuff unless I really really need it... I've stopped going into shops, looking in magazines/catalogues, watching tv ads... if I'm not aware of the products I supposedly need, or if I don't go into shops and spot apparent bargains in the sale, then I don't buy them.
    When I do 'need' something, I try and get it second-hand (eg charity shops) which is cheaper and greener, and is sometimes free (freecycle). Also I let all the people I meet know that I'm into recycling and it's amazing the number of people amongst my community/family/friends who pass on things they don't want. They're happy to find "a good home" for their bits, and I'm happy to welcome, re-use/recycle free stuff!!

I enjoy the "live simply" ethos - mend rather than replace; walk rather than drive; Make birthday cards, presents etc from bits and bobs rather than buy things. etc etc.

Kristie
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,094Posts Today

6,682Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's FRI Twitter poll: As everyone knows, you're a creative genius with an huge range of highly honed skills.? https://t.co/KV5FHAqK6v

• Watching Theresa May... seriously would anyone in their right mind truly want her job right now!

• RT @thecheekypostie: @MartinSLewis Thanks to this, I have just skim read it. To those in Scotland - on page 548, Dounreay is mentioned by n?

• Follow Martin