Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Runningfast
    • By Runningfast 29th Jan 17, 9:40 PM
    • 138Posts
    • 88Thanks
    Runningfast
    Working away from home
    • 29th Jan 17, 9:40 PM
    Working away from home 29th Jan 17 at 9:40 PM
    I'm in a position in work that after several pay cuts after bills and general living expenses I don't have much for enjoying life or saving. It is getting me down!!

I have been looking for new jobs now for about 18months but there is nothing in my sector in my local area on my original salary or above. In the wider area there are jobs paying more and I have been applying for them.

Now this is the crux, after I factor in the extra deductions (increase in tax, student loan etc) using the pay calculator on this site I end up about 200 per month above what I earn now. Great, the whole point of getting a new job on more pay is to improve your life!! - Not so, The issue is to get to these jobs in the wider area I will need a train season ticket which costs over 200 per month!!! So infact I would be worse off financially.

I have come to the realisation that I need to move from my current area but my partner wants us to remain in this area (friends and family etc)

How did people find a compromise?

All I know is I can't continue where I am and in the financial position I am in.

Just looking to hear what solutions other people have come up with.
    Last edited by Runningfast; 29-01-2017 at 9:42 PM.
Page 3
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 6th Jul 18, 6:11 PM
    • 20,979 Posts
    • 56,556 Thanks
    Pollycat
    OP, why does it have to be a season ticket ?

Why cant you get a 1litre banger and drive it ?
    My own commute is not far off the miles you state
    Originally posted by AndyPix
    Andy
    This thread dates back 18 months

Maddison, this sounds a truly awful experience Can you return home to your parents, or is there someone else you could stay with? Is going home and going to college an option for you?
    It sounds as though you maybe being exploited -if you are on minimum wage of 4.20 and earning 230 pw, then that's an average working week of 54 hours. Are your employers approachable, could you ask them to smarten up the staff quarters? Could you eat outside while the weather is decent?

if you are beginning to feel depressed, then you need to have a talk with your GP before it spirals out of control.

I really feel for you, and hope things improve soon.,
    Originally posted by Rubik
    My thoughts too.
    Madison's situation doesn't sound good and it doesn't sound right & fair.
    Fruit picking?
    • Soph1988
    • By Soph1988 7th Jul 18, 12:38 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 24 Thanks
    Soph1988
    I have a partner who works away almost all summer, popping back for a weekend or a few days here and there. He loves his job and its a great job.

I on the other hand work 9-5 and look forward to the weekends.

IMO, there is nothing more destroying of a relationship than feeling lonely. You may be busy travelling back and forth and enjoying your new job, but your partners life hasn't changed, they are now just alone when they're not at work.

I'm not saying you need to be at home whenever they are, but realistically long term working away isn't the best option. I know I consider lots of things such as when to go on holiday, when to have children!, renovating the house we just brought etc etc.... But I certainly feel very alone in it all.

And no - I could never ask him to leave a job he loves or enjoys - because then it's my fault if he hates a new job he gets closer. Resentment is just as bad as anything else.
    • DevilsAdvocate1
    • By DevilsAdvocate1 7th Jul 18, 1:18 AM
    • 1,616 Posts
    • 3,140 Thanks
    DevilsAdvocate1
    Only being home at weekends means you have less family time.

Home late on Friday night, leave Sunday to start work Monday morning.

Weekend spent catching up on jobs around the house.

From experience children resent you coming home at weekends and 'bossing' them around or upsetting the routine they have with mum during the week.
    Originally posted by sheramber

I think the mum can resent this too !
    • CarmenEllis
    • By CarmenEllis 10th Aug 18, 10:58 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    CarmenEllis
    I just hate working away from home. I have an experience of 3 years and I can understand how it feels.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

290Posts Today

4,370Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @laurawithers84: @MartinSLewis Our school is going to use your book for our new finance fortnight for year 8 students. We thought we wou?

• RT @katiejane13uk: ????????IMPORTANT - CALLING ALL LEASEHOLDERS TO COMPLETE???????? @mhclg Leasehold Reform Consultation closes this month. This is the?

• Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

• Follow Martin