Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • motivated
    • By motivated 28th Jan 17, 3:51 PM
    • 2,534Posts
    • 5,695Thanks
    motivated
    Debt Demolisher
    • 28th Jan 17, 3:51 PM
    Debt Demolisher 28th Jan 17 at 3:51 PM
    Hi MSE ers

Have plucked up the courage to admit that I cannot cope financially.

Long story short. We are £82,590 in Credit card and Loan debt basically spent on nothing but shopping, holidays, clothes and household things.

We are not in arrears or any CCJs at present but fear this will not last.

I completed the step change debt remedy tool thing today and it advised me to ring them on Monday Petrified at the thought of phone calls, bailiffs at my door and threatening letters etc. I don't even know what to expect about the process etc.

What do I have to show for it all NOTHING

So angry with myself but I do feel a little easier as it seems I have woken up and am willing to face it all, pay it all off and remove a lot of the stress I have every month.

Myself and My OH both work and are both willing to pull together to sort this sorry mess out. I am hoping that keeping a diary and soaking up some excellent tips and advice will see us through to the end.

I have seen some excellent advice and encouragement given on here and have thoroughly enjoyed reading all of the advice and diaries.

One day I will be advising others (I hope)

Please be gentle with me
    M
    Last edited by motivated; 30-05-2017 at 9:33 AM.
Page 38
    • motivated
    • By motivated 4th Jun 19, 4:40 AM
    • 2,534 Posts
    • 5,695 Thanks
    motivated
    You certainly have the right user name. What a great attitude you have to this debt clearing. It is hard when you are on a long journey but you seem to be able to find the positives and don't give up no matter what life throws at you. Keep going, it will be worth it. Holidays are great and something to look forward to, but spending lots of money that you don't have and paying off the holiday for the whole of the next year is just foolishness. So many people go down that path nowadays and it is seen as normal to get into debt for holidays when actually planning a relaxing time at home can be just as beneficial and costs almost nothing. Have a great summer in your garden and lets hope the sun is shining.
    Originally posted by Moneywhizz
    Hi moneywhizz. Your username reminds me of my wages whizzing through my account every month

If I think about it I'm probably still paying for holidays that we've had in the past When I speak to our kids too about them growing up they both remember holidays but also remember days out that we had with family and have happy memories of them.

Already ive seen a big planter in my neighbours front garden amongst a load of other toot. I'm assuming she is throwing it out, I will be asking them if it is no longer needed would they mind me giving it a new home.

Have some good ideas in my head how I plan to renovate my garden and what it will look like in the end.

Work calls again and it's a big English exam today. Come on year 11 you can smash this
    M
    If you want the rainbow you have to put up with the rain
    EF - £1000
    • debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 4th Jun 19, 6:45 PM
    • 1,679 Posts
    • 6,336 Thanks
    debtaghh
    Hi motivated,

I was thinking of you the other day and was hoping you would post soon. That's good about your garden, always nice to have an achievable goal. Good luck with it!
    Credit card debt ( May 2019) : £56,918... won't even start on the family debt
    • motivated
    • By motivated 5th Jun 19, 4:18 AM
    • 2,534 Posts
    • 5,695 Thanks
    motivated
    Hi debtaghh

Sometimes I just forget to post or get sick of just posting about blooming money all the time. I seem to be at the stage again where I constantly think about money.

How much I have
    How much I don't have
    How much I need
    How much I wish I had
    How much I need to pay out
    How much we have coming in

The list goes on

It's probably a lot to do with the way things went tits up the last few months.

I have given myself the garden project as a distraction as well as a much needed project. Hopefully it will keep my mind on other things. For a while.

Hope you are doing ok and not stressing and worrying too much
    M
    EF - £1000
    • debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 5th Jun 19, 7:50 AM
    • 1,679 Posts
    • 6,336 Thanks
    debtaghh
    Hi debtaghh

Sometimes I just forget to post or get sick of just posting about blooming money all the time. I seem to be at the stage again where I constantly think about money.

How much I have
    How much I don't have
    How much I need
    How much I wish I had
    How much I need to pay out
    How much we have coming in

The list goes on

It's probably a lot to do with the way things went tits up the last few months.

I have given myself the garden project as a distraction as well as a much needed project. Hopefully it will keep my mind on other things. For a while.

Hope you are doing ok and not stressing and worrying too much
    M
    Originally posted by motivated
    I feel the same. I'm also feeling I need to change my life as I'm not happy with lots of aspects of it.
    • motivated
    • By motivated 5th Jun 19, 5:21 PM
    • 2,534 Posts
    • 5,695 Thanks
    motivated
    Hi debtaghh

Do you think the debt has a lot to do with the aspects of life you mentioned. I definitely understand that having the debt hanging round your neck can make you feel erggghhh about lots of things.

I also find that when financial things are running smoothly here my mood lifts quite a bit too.
    M
    EF - £1000
    • debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 5th Jun 19, 6:16 PM
    • 1,679 Posts
    • 6,336 Thanks
    debtaghh
    Hi debtaghh

Do you think the debt has a lot to do with the aspects of life you mentioned. I definitely understand that having the debt hanging round your neck can make you feel erggghhh about lots of things.

I also find that when financial things are running smoothly here my mood lifts quite a bit too.
    M
    Yes partly but definitely agree about the mood changing according to finances.
    • motivated
    • By motivated 11th Jun 19, 5:12 AM
    • 2,534 Posts
    • 5,695 Thanks
    motivated
    Morning diary world

Just checking in to get things in writing to help get rid of the stupid ideas I have been having recently.

I find myself looking on booking.com for weekends away. Not until nearer the end of the year. DH and I have a big anniversary coming up and I wanted us to have a weekend away as a treat. I totally know it's the wrong thing to do. On booking.com you don't have to pay until you arrive at chosen hotel. Stupidly I'm thinking oh well I've got months yet. So talking myself down before I sign up to anything

Maybe we will try to put a little away each month and see how far we get. The front garden at this rate
    M
    Last edited by motivated; 11-06-2019 at 6:33 PM.
    EF - £1000
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 11th Jun 19, 8:53 AM
    • 3,272 Posts
    • 21,105 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    I think there's a lot to be said for something to look forward to, so why not start a little savings account towards celebrating your anniversary? It might help you resist booking that hotel for a while!
    MFW #30 Overpaid by £4,100.58/£3000 in 2018 Overpaid by £2877.91/2,880.00 to 04/09/19. Decluttered in 2019: 1,899/2,019 as of 11/10/19
    • arsenalbarnie
    • By arsenalbarnie 11th Jun 19, 10:37 AM
    • 453 Posts
    • 3,132 Thanks
    arsenalbarnie
    Hi Motivated haven’t spoken for a while on your diary but I read it all the time. Am going through a tough patch health wise and it has made me think. You never know what is round the corner, save up for your special anniversary. You could always book something last minute and bag a bargain. Life is short. Cherry fudge is right, something to look forward to makes all the difference.
    • motivated
    • By motivated 11th Jun 19, 6:32 PM
    • 2,534 Posts
    • 5,695 Thanks
    motivated
    I think there's a lot to be said for something to look forward to, so why not start a little savings account towards celebrating your anniversary? It might help you resist booking that hotel for a while!
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    Hi Motivated haven’t spoken for a while on your diary but I read it all the time. Am going through a tough patch health wise and it has made me think. You never know what is round the corner, save up for your special anniversary. You could always book something last minute and bag a bargain. Life is short. Cherry fudge is right, something to look forward to makes all the difference.
    Originally posted by arsenalbarnie

Thank you both. You are right and I've talked myself down now (I think)

October is a way off yet so will see how much we can squirrel away towards doing something. Be it a cinema night, a meal or a weekend away If the kids ask for any ideas for a small gift I may mention that we would just like an evening out rather than a gift for the home. Failing that we will put a little by and book something last minute.com. At least that way we haven't signed up to a new debt

Thanks for the advice guys it it much appreciated.
    X
    EF - £1000
    • debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 14th Jun 19, 6:29 PM
    • 1,679 Posts
    • 6,336 Thanks
    debtaghh
    Hi,

Well done on not booking anything. Put a little aside if you can and then book something ... it will feel good knowing you have saved for it.
    • motivated
    • By motivated 17th Jun 19, 6:32 PM
    • 2,534 Posts
    • 5,695 Thanks
    motivated
    Hi debtaghh and all

No I still haven't booked anything. I managed to resist and have definitely talked myself out of it. So glad I've got out of the mindset of book it on the spur of the moment and hope for the best. I spent the weekend pottering around the garden and generally tidying. I did my pots as Asda have 3 trays of plants for a fiver. Just adding some colour to the garden has brightened it up loads. Although I'm not too good with flowers so we will see how they go

Another round of payments made this month and looking forward to DHs full month wages as we will be able to save some of it and will finally feel like we have put the debt wagon back on the rails.

Have also been watching Love Island It winds me up massively but I feel I have to watch to see what happens next. What an exciting life I lead
    M
    EF - £1000
    • motivated
    • By motivated 28th Jun 19, 9:22 PM
    • 2,534 Posts
    • 5,695 Thanks
    motivated
    Evening diary world

Today DH had his first full months wages . We have distributed it between accounts so Xmas car F&F Bills and EF accounts have all been fed and topped up. It's a nice feeling that things are getting back on track and moving in the right direction again God willing will continue like that.

And it's the weekend yaaaaay

Grocery shopping done and a nice relaxing weekend is planned. Other than housework which I plan to do early tomorrow and hopefully spend some time in the garden as the weather is supposed to be beautiful tomorrow. So a coffee and a chill out in the sun will be gratefully received thank you

Hope you all get some lovely sunny weather tomorrow too.
    M
    EF - £1000
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 28th Jun 19, 10:00 PM
    • 3,272 Posts
    • 21,105 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Great that the wages are in - the upturn is now well and truly underway!

Enjoy your weekend.
    MFW #30 Overpaid by £4,100.58/£3000 in 2018 Overpaid by £2877.91/2,880.00 to 04/09/19. Decluttered in 2019: 1,899/2,019 as of 11/10/19
    • motivated
    • By motivated 29th Jun 19, 4:52 AM
    • 2,534 Posts
    • 5,695 Thanks
    motivated
    Thanks Cherry

I was up super early this morning and already the sun is shining. Feeling ‘motivated’ again

Also DS gave me a scratch card that he’d won £5 on. I swapped it for another yesterday and now won £35 I said half each? he said no mum you keep it

Have a lovely day all
    M
    EF - £1000
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 29th Jun 19, 9:09 AM
    • 3,272 Posts
    • 21,105 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    DS gave me a scratch card that he’d won £5 on. I swapped it for another yesterday and now won £35 I said half each? he said no mum you keep it
    How lovely!

We have sunshine too, it's such a game changer. I can do anything when the sun is shining! (Well, more than usual ).

Have a lovely weekend.
    • BalanceBy50
    • By BalanceBy50 29th Jun 19, 10:36 AM
    • 243 Posts
    • 1,595 Thanks
    BalanceBy50
    What a lovely gesture from your son motivated. Could you put it towards a nice treat for you & DH?

Lovely to hear your pots are topped up xx
    • motivated
    • By motivated 29th Jun 19, 5:00 PM
    • 2,534 Posts
    • 5,695 Thanks
    motivated
    How lovely!

We have sunshine too, it's such a game changer. I can do anything when the sun is shining! (Well, more than usual ).

Have a lovely weekend.
    Originally posted by Cherryfudge
    It's too hot in our garden we have no shade whatsoever. I've melted but had a relaxing day

What a lovely gesture from your son motivated. Could you put it towards a nice treat for you & DH?

Lovely to hear your pots are topped up xx
    Originally posted by BalanceBy50
    I thought we could go out for dinner in the week they do 2 meals for between £10 and £15. Win win

How sad I keep logging in just to check my pots lol
    Thankyou both
    M
    EF - £1000
    • debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 30th Jun 19, 7:03 AM
    • 1,679 Posts
    • 6,336 Thanks
    debtaghh
    What a lovely gesture! Definitely treat yourselves x
    • debtaghh
    • By debtaghh 18th Jul 19, 5:37 AM
    • 1,679 Posts
    • 6,336 Thanks
    debtaghh
    Hope you're ok motivated x
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,498Posts Today

8,751Users online

Martin's Twitter