Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • motivated
    • By motivated 28th Jan 17, 4:51 PM
    • 2,216Posts
    • 4,407Thanks
    motivated
    Debt Demolisher
    • 28th Jan 17, 4:51 PM
    Debt Demolisher 28th Jan 17 at 4:51 PM
    Hi MSE ers

Have plucked up the courage to admit that I cannot cope financially.

Long story short. We are 82,590 in Credit card and Loan debt basically spent on nothing but shopping, holidays, clothes and household things.

We are not in arrears or any CCJs at present but fear this will not last.

I completed the step change debt remedy tool thing today and it advised me to ring them on Monday Petrified at the thought of phone calls, bailiffs at my door and threatening letters etc. I don't even know what to expect about the process etc.

What do I have to show for it all NOTHING

So angry with myself but I do feel a little easier as it seems I have woken up and am willing to face it all, pay it all off and remove a lot of the stress I have every month.

Myself and My OH both work and are both willing to pull together to sort this sorry mess out. I am hoping that keeping a diary and soaking up some excellent tips and advice will see us through to the end.

I have seen some excellent advice and encouragement given on here and have thoroughly enjoyed reading all of the advice and diaries.

One day I will be advising others (I hope)

Please be gentle with me
    M
    Last edited by motivated; 30-05-2017 at 10:33 AM.
Page 28
    • booksandbacon
    • By booksandbacon 11th Jul 18, 8:55 PM
    • 11 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    booksandbacon
    Massive amounts of great advice on here, and people who will encourage and advise (and give the occasional kick up the backside when needed)

Wishing you luck, and hope that things go well for you. X
    Originally posted by Chrystal
    Thanks so much Chrystal
    Debt Balance: 36,294
    Creditors: 14
    Savings: 0
    • motivated
    • By motivated 12th Jul 18, 8:50 PM
    • 2,216 Posts
    • 4,407 Thanks
    motivated
    I just wanted to say Hi I've been reading your diary the last few days and it's been really inspiring and informative, thank you so much for sharing your story and being so open and honest about the DMP process, I'm just starting out and it seems so massive and scary right now
    Originally posted by booksandbacon

Hi booksandbacon thanks for popping in. The DMP process has been absolutely fine if I'm honest.

Reading back at the beginning of my diary I was in a right state. Sleepless nights, arguments with DH, tears the lot. You name it we went through it. BUT I can honestly say it's one of the best decisions we've ever made.

You will feel scared and think there is no way out but take it from me our creditors have been brilliant with us. Non judgemental, supportive and even asking us if our payments are low enough for us

Please don't panic about the DMP journey and don't be afraid to tell your creditors what you can realistically afford to repay them. Don't leave yourself short and we even upped our budget on quite a few things to give ourselves a little breathing space. Yes it will take us a long time to repay but repaying it we are as well as being able to live.

No nasty letters or phone calls so far and I'm not scared to speak to our creditors either now. . A far cry from what I was like at the start.

Good luck and post lots on this site, ask questions on the DMP thread and I promise you, you will be fine

Massive amounts of great advice on here, and people who will encourage and advise (and give the occasional kick up the backside when needed)

Wishing you luck, and hope that things go well for you. X
    Originally posted by Chrystal
    Hi Crystal and thankyou

Without the advice and support on this site I dread to think where I'd be right now. The DMP thread has been a godsend for us and can't thank the members on there enough.

Another payday for me and another lot of payments gone to our debt. Will update signature in a moment and see the total come down a little again. At least it's coming down and not up.

Overall things are still ticking along nicely and even had a phone all from one of our DCAs for a review. The nice lady even questioned that I have been paying 74p too much on one of our debts.

I rounded the figure up to a nice round number and she wanted to know where the 74p is coming from and checking that we are not leaving ourselves short. She even asked if we wanted to lower the payments.

So creditors can be supportive and accommodating

Hope everyone is well and enjoying the beautiful weather we are having.
    M
    I have arrived in DMP land and I like it, I may stay a while
    LBM 82,590 Jan 17/76,231.91 July 18
    Short term goal 1683.73/1796 / PDBX 18 # 31 - 3914.52/5,000
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 12th Jul 18, 10:08 PM
    • 1,849 Posts
    • 10,029 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    Overall things are still ticking along nicely and even had a phone all from one of our DCAs for a review. The nice lady even questioned that I have been paying 74p too much on one of our debts.

I rounded the figure up to a nice round number and she wanted to know where the 74p is coming from and checking that we are not leaving ourselves short. She even asked if we wanted to lower the payments.

So creditors can be supportive and accommodating
    Originally posted by motivated
    That's such a nice thing to have happen!
    MFW #30 Paid off 2,109.13/3770 as of 12/7/18
    • Robin09
    • By Robin09 13th Jul 18, 2:37 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    Robin09
    Good afternoon Motivated,

Just read through your diary and I hope you don't mind if I subscribe as you have been very positive throughout your DMP journey so far. We are also on DMP with SC.

Have a lovely day,

Robin.
    • motivated
    • By motivated 13th Jul 18, 4:02 PM
    • 2,216 Posts
    • 4,407 Thanks
    motivated
    Good afternoon Motivated,

Just read through your diary and I hope you don't mind if I subscribe as you have been very positive throughout your DMP journey so far. We are also on DMP with SC.

Have a lovely day,

Robin.
    Originally posted by Robin09

Of course I don't mind. The more the merrier lol.

We can all cheer each other along on the DMP journey. Good luck with your journey too.
    M
    • motivated
    • By motivated 13th Jul 18, 4:05 PM
    • 2,216 Posts
    • 4,407 Thanks
    motivated
    Just off to Lidl's to do a shop and need to stick within budget. I have a holiday from work now so I won't need to worry about buying too much, I will be here to ensure I cook from scratch and use up what in the deepest darkest depths of the freezer.

Heaven knows what I'll find in there
    M
    • motivated
    • By motivated 13th Jul 18, 6:27 PM
    • 2,216 Posts
    • 4,407 Thanks
    motivated
    • Shopping done within budget
    • Another round of monthly payments made
    • Debt total reduced a little
    • Sun is shining
    • Sticking to my diet 16lb lost so far. 10lb to go

So overall a positive start to the weekend
    • Cherryfudge
    • By Cherryfudge 14th Jul 18, 12:26 AM
    • 1,849 Posts
    • 10,029 Thanks
    Cherryfudge
    16lbs is fab! Well done
    MFW #30 Paid off 2,109.13/3770 as of 12/7/18
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

634Posts Today

7,278Users online

Martin's Twitter