Get a grip woman!

Comments

• Suffolk_lass
    Suffolk_lass Posts: 9,340 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Thanks UncannyScot and Hidden, It really does help to have a bit of encouragement.

We went to a barn dance with two friends last night and had a really good laugh (although the food has been repeating on me ever since). It is good to laugh. While I was in the queue for the loo, one of the women I work with on the lunches came and asked me about the For Sale board and said how upset people who she had spoken to are, that we are moving. And then my Husband's Beekeeping mentor (yes, really) came and sat with me and said he wished me luck with the sale but he hoped we would not leave. It is amazing how many people have told us they don't want us to move.

It's fate really isn't it. Maybe there is something much more serious wrong with the house we want to buy than we can see, and this is life's way of saying we don't have enough money to do it. I have no intention of being one of Gorgeous George's precarious projects, or giving Kevin McCloud the opportunity to talk earnestly to camera about the demerits of someone's (my) project.

All the media reports are that Estate Agents have fewer houses on their books than ever before. Perhaps I am in a mini housing crash :eek:

I am up and doing the washing early this morning because my cat fell off the pile of duvet, cover and blanket on the narrow table under the window in our bedroom. She had been sleeping on it in "Princess and the Pea" mode and it all went wrong. The thud woke me and I leapt out of bed. She was standing there looking dazed and confused next to the pile of bedding. Well that's it, I'm awake now! so much for my Sunday morning lay-in!
    Save £12k in 2024 - #2 target is £5000 only £798.34 so far
    OS Grocery Challenge 2024 25.04% spent or £754.10/£3,000 annual
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
    My Debt Free Diary Get a grip Woman
  • trix-a-belle
    trix-a-belle Posts: 1,481 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Mortgage-free Glee!
    edited 16 July 2017 at 8:19AM
    lol i can just imagine the look on the cats face SL! :D

It does sound like the universe is trying to tell you something regarding the possible move. fingers crossed you are happy with the outcome either way. do get the agent to earn their money and prod the ones who were so keen though (is that the ones who werent on the market yet?)

do you have a contract in place with your sons lodgers? there seem to be far too many doing flits and leaving you out of pocket, perhaps its time to make it more formal and you choose the person rather than him just getting any old mate in, I don't mean to sound harsh but i'm sad your son isn't making an effort to stand on his own two feet more and be an adult :( you can't be there to protect him all his life & you really don't need the stress when you are looking after DH, your mum and yourself
    - Mortgage: 1st one down, 2nd also busted
    - Student Loan gone
    Swagbucks, Mingle, GiffGaff, Prolific, Qmee & Quidco; thank you MSE every little bit helps
  • Suffolk_lass
    edited 16 July 2017 at 8:42AM
    Thanks Trix - It's not really a case of him standing on his own feet financially. I refer to it as my Son's house because he owns 25% of it (we gifted him some when we bought it) and he lives there. The other 75% is ours and DH runs it and the finances.

The lodger did have a contract - and doesn't owe us anything - one month's notice on either side. We have been fleeced once, by a so-called friend of our Son's. I still find it completely appalling that a "friend" should think it is acceptable to steal from a friend's parents. Because of the house move prospect I think we are going to suggest no new lodger for a while. It might be fate.

We could sell that house first and top up the proceeds with additional borrowing on this house to secure the dream derelict so having no tenant to worry about would make that more straightforward. It is under consideration but I don't think we will put it on the market until Autumn at the earliest so we will cover the expenses (we elected to double glaze it a year ago - our Son would never have had the surplus funds to do that). He covers the bills though.
    I also Reverse Meal Plan on that thread and grow much of our own premium price fruit and veg, joining in on the Grow your own thread
  • Suffolk_lass
    Well, this month is rather squeaky for finances - for me both June and July are five week shopping months. Not good.

While we are eating loads of veg from the garden, I confess that courgettes are losing their appeal - I just pick them smaller so we can keep on top of the glut! and I still seem to be spending more (I suspect alcohol - it's so easy to pick up a pack of beers and a couple of bottles of wine or Pimms as I stroll around the sm).

Anyway, today is our wedding anniversary and we have a lovely surprise cheque from my lovely Mum. So appreciated.
  • Hiddenidenity
    Hiddenidenity Posts: 5,423 Forumite
    Happy Anniversary :D

Have a lovely day x
  • JoJoC
    JoJoC Posts: 1,836 Forumite
    Happy Anniversary to you and your other half! I hope you enjoy some courgettes and wine to celebrate :)
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
  • Karmacat
    Karmacat Posts: 39,460 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Happy Anniversary for last week :)

Have you made courgette pickle and whatnot, to help cope with the glut?
    2023: the year I get to buy a car
  • boxofpaws
    boxofpaws Posts: 753 Forumite
    First Anniversary Photogenic Name Dropper First Post
    Happy Anniversary!

I got a glut of courgettes last year and made courgette and chorizi soup. I grated courgette onion and potatoes, and then blitzed half of it in the blender and then mixed it all together to get a chunky-ish consistency then added finely chopped chorizo. Yum
    Debt Jan 2017 = £42k
    May 2022 = £15k
  • Suffolk_lass
    Thank you for all the good wishes and for the cooking suggestions. As we are about to go on holiday for more than a fortnight I am going to roast all the courgettes I have on Sunday in olive oil with Salt, pepper and chilli flakes and then freeze them all to make into soup as and when (easier to store in the freezer in plastic bags in lumps than as soup). Then I think any left when we return I shall make that walnut and courgette pickle that sounds fab.

And it's so good to see you back Paws!
  • Suffolk_lass
    DEBTS

[STRIKE]£110,621[/STRIKE] £103,999.83 (£6,621.17 paid so far) - Mortgage
    [STRIKE]£3,476[/STRIKE] £2,276 (£1200)- DH's car (payment on 22nd)
    [STRIKE]£8,755.54[/STRIKE] £5,969.30 (£2,785.84) - Barclays Finance for double glazing

Total [STRIKE]£122,852.54[/STRIKE] £112,245.53 - that is £10,607.01 or 8.63% paid off so far.

SAVINGS
    £12,138.48 (aiming for £10,000+£2000) Emergency fund today - I need £2,076 to clear the 0% CC by 1st September so carrying on.
    £12,397.07 S&S ISA with Fidelity International (original £10,000 4 years ago, no further capital added) a reduction this month due to the stock market
    £5,887.15 DH's S&S ISA with Charles Stanley Direct also a reduction this month
    £3,131.75 2 year Bond with Skipton BS @ 4% Finishes in early 2018
    £10,947.52 7 year bond with Skipton BS - matures Oct 20
    [STRIKE]£38,630.43[/STRIKE] £44,501.97 Total actual cashable savings

Shortfall -£67,743.56 (all debts)

Everything in stock market investments has reduced a little this month and our overall savings will reduce again when I return from holiday as the 0% interest on our credit card runs out on 1st September so I need to pay that off in the last week of August.

No further viewings on our house this month. According to local agents the whole market is flat as everyone goes on holiday and no half-year bonuses are due until September. Typical!

Our lodger has moved out meaning a shortfall in the funds to pay for the replacement windows at our house we own with our Son - so the £200 per month I have been paying down the credit card balance by has another use already!

My diet has improved a bit and we have been living off fruit and veg from the garden. So it's not all doom and gloom - just very slow progress. I shall have a think while we are away.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure