Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GeorgianaCavendish
    • By GeorgianaCavendish 27th Jan 17, 4:30 PM
    • 734Posts
    • 4,699Thanks
    GeorgianaCavendish
    Small Steps Out Of Massive Debt!
    • 27th Jan 17, 4:30 PM
    Small Steps Out Of Massive Debt! 27th Jan 17 at 4:30 PM
    Hi Everyone,

I'm so glad that I've found this website because I really need to get serious and DO SOMETHING about my debts. I thought that keeping a diary on this forum would keep me accountable.

I have taken stock and I have over £35,000 of personal debt on loans and credit cards, which does not include my Student Loan (around £18,000 but I need to check the last statement). I have no savings at all and am living pay day to pay day. I have a pension, which is probably the only semi-financially responsible thing I've done in my whole life.

I have always had a problem with spending money. I never knew when it was time to stop spending. The idea of a budget was a foreign concept. I'd spend until everything had gone, whether that was my wages, student loan payments or birthday money. I go through phases of pretending to be responsible and looking at debt consolidation, but what usually happens is that I don't close the old accounts so a few months down the line I end up spending money on the cleared card.

I know that I need to sort out my spending and to take a brutal look at the state of my finances and what I spend money on. I need to stop seeing credit limits as targets to reach (!!!!) and start seeing them for what they are - invitations to get into debt!

This is what I have outstanding:

£13000 on personal loan
    £10500 Barclaycard
    £8000 MBNA
    £2500 HSBC
    £870 on catalog
    £800 left on furniture (this one is interest free, there are 9 repayments left)

I've been reading the advice for newbies threads so this weekend I am going to go through my last bank & cc statements with a fine tooth comb to work out what I am spending money on, and I'm going to find out the interest rates on all my credit accounts.

Thanks for reading and wish me luck!

PS. My forum name is from a Duchess in the 1700s. She was so bad with money that after she died her husband found out she was around 4 million pounds in debt. Sadly I could imagine this happening to me if I had access to that much credit
    Last edited by GeorgianaCavendish; 07-03-2017 at 2:31 PM.
Page 54
    • GeorgianaCavendish
    • By GeorgianaCavendish 5th Apr 19, 12:18 PM
    • 734 Posts
    • 4,699 Thanks
    GeorgianaCavendish
    If only you knew me!

Why not give it a try in some other categories as well just to see?

With regard to presents, having a list of who I need to buy for throughout the year and a 'pot' I can dip in/out of when I see a bargain saves me a lot.
    Originally posted by PositiveBalance
    I will give it a go in the other categories

Forward planning and being able to take advantage of bargains really helps. I have to be careful to strike a balance between this and stockpiling though
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 5th Apr 19, 12:38 PM
    • 643 Posts
    • 4,641 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Thank you Chrystal

My present idea is one I borrowed from instagram - Blind Date With A Book. I pick a few good condition books up secondhand, wrap them in plain brown paper, and write a few clues or bullet points about the book on the outside. Then I put them all in a gift bag with some chocolate or another treat. So far I've been picking books that I really love but choice can be a bit limited by what is available! My mum has been saving the wrapping and regifting them after reading

I was also thinking of doing it with DVDs for people that aren't so into reading
    Originally posted by GeorgianaCavendish
    What a great idea! And might also be a way I can 'move on' some of the hundreds of books I REALLY need to offload... Thanks for sharing XX
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.
    • GeorgianaCavendish
    • By GeorgianaCavendish 8th Apr 19, 3:59 PM
    • 734 Posts
    • 4,699 Thanks
    GeorgianaCavendish
    A bit of a rollercoaster weekend here!

Firstly, the dentist. They hadn't paid my claim for the checkup so I thought I'd ring and check. Customer Services said the claims team left a note saying it was rejected because they "couldn't see proof of payment" (even though this was attached to the original claim) they have now "found" the proof of payment so will be processing that this week

I had the further dental work done this weekend. Dental receptionist refused to process it as a direct settlement because she (direct quote) "couldn't do it on a Saturday" and "it would just make life easier" for her if I paid and claimed it back. This was the first time doing direct settlement so I was really unsure of myself - also had a mouth full of anaesthetic and felt quite shaky - I ended up paying (£200!) and then opening a claim to get it back. The person I spoke to today said that the receptionist was talking a load of rubbish and that it is usual practice to process the direct settlements on the next working day. Anyway, that claim should also be processed this week as well. HOW ANNOYING! On the plus side, all is good with the dental work now

Secondly, had a really difficult situation with a family member. Won't go into too many details here but it is the kind of thing that in the past would send me scurrying off to buy something as a way of dealing with the nasty feelings. I haven't done that this time, but everything feels really raw and painful (although getting better). I'm proud of myself for not reverting to one of my old coping/distraction strategies but not enjoying feeling like my emotions turned up to 11!

Thirdly, had a really lovely day yesterday with lots of rest and relaxation. The only minor annoyance was that after giving advice on other diaries against the dangers of stock piling, I went to put a bottle of cleanser in the bathroom cupboard only to discover two other bottles hidden behind the spare loo roll. I received them as Christmas gifts, put them away and then promptly forgot about them. So now I'm giving myself some anti stock piling advice : physically check the cupboards properly before ordering, don't just make decisions based on what I think "must" be in there!

I had a couple of quiet days on ebay selling but then two sales came through in the early hours of this morning, I've packaged up the items and posted them already
    • GeorgianaCavendish
    • By GeorgianaCavendish 8th Apr 19, 4:01 PM
    • 734 Posts
    • 4,699 Thanks
    GeorgianaCavendish
    What a great idea! And might also be a way I can 'move on' some of the hundreds of books I REALLY need to offload... Thanks for sharing XX
    Originally posted by Chrystal
    My pleasure, hope it is helpful!
    • PositiveBalance
    • By PositiveBalance 8th Apr 19, 11:13 PM
    • 1,017 Posts
    • 5,378 Thanks
    PositiveBalance

Secondly, had a really difficult situation with a family member. Won't go into too many details here but it is the kind of thing that in the past would send me scurrying off to buy something as a way of dealing with the nasty feelings. I haven't done that this time, but everything feels really raw and painful (although getting better). I'm proud of myself for not reverting to one of my old coping/distraction strategies but not enjoying feeling like my emotions turned up to 11!
    Well done on identifying that spending pattern and not succumbing to it.

I hope the situation with your relative improves - and quickly.

Thirdly, had a really lovely day yesterday with lots of rest and relaxation. The only minor annoyance was that after giving advice on other diaries against the dangers of stock piling, I went to put a bottle of cleanser in the bathroom cupboard only to discover two other bottles hidden behind the spare loo roll. I received them as Christmas gifts, put them away and then promptly forgot about them. So now I'm giving myself some anti stock piling advice : physically check the cupboards properly before ordering, don't just make decisions based on what I think "must" be in there!

I've had that happen as well. You know what the cure is? Another spreadsheet!
    Original debt to source: £11,640.02; debt repaid: £6771.01 (58%); remaining debt: £5069.01
    0% CC balance: £4999.67 now
    £1517.56 (69.65% repaid)
    Emergency Fund (#187): £500/£500
    Terrimundi: fleeced!
    • ChasingSunshine
    • By ChasingSunshine 9th Apr 19, 6:01 AM
    • 178 Posts
    • 1,183 Thanks
    ChasingSunshine
    Oh no, sorry to hear about situation with relative. I hope it all improves soon but well done on avoiding falling back into old bad habits.

Completely get where you are coming from on the stockpiling of beauty products. I thought I was being so good and finally making progress with using up my stash only to open a suitcase I had put away and found it full of product. How I forgot it was there I do not know!
    • GeorgianaCavendish
    • By GeorgianaCavendish 9th Apr 19, 10:16 AM
    • 734 Posts
    • 4,699 Thanks
    GeorgianaCavendish
    Thank you PositiveBalance and ChasingSunshine, I think things are already improving (or at least the way I'm feeling about it is improving!) and I'm really chuffed with myself for not using spending to try to cope. I'm trying to learn new responses to stressful / upsetting things instead of my old habits of spending (or deciding I need to go on a diet - another great distraction technique!) It isn't easy but I'm seeing improvements

I do love a spreadsheet I like the idea of having one for products, if only to give me something to look at on the days I would usually click into the debt spreadsheet and drive myself mad by running different scenarios

While I'm thinking about identifying spending patterns, I think my stockpiling habits come from feeling that I have to take care of all my bills and "essentials" as soon as I get paid because I can't trust myself to have money available if I run out mid-month (I know it is debatable about how "essential" cleanser is ) Hopefully as I get through the coming months with the feeling of having surplus cash, I'll be able to trust myself and let go of the need to take care of as many outgoings as possible on payday. I really want to break that cycle!

In other news, I had an ebay return last night. I had a feeling that they would return it, they were one of the cheeky question brigade and I'd accepted a Best Offer that I immediately regretted. It is annoying but that is part of the reason why I haven't withdrawn any of the money from PayPal yet. Hopefully I'll get the item back with no hassle and then I can relist it. And block that buyer so they can't mess me around again
    • GeorgianaCavendish
    • By GeorgianaCavendish 10th Apr 19, 5:48 PM
    • 734 Posts
    • 4,699 Thanks
    GeorgianaCavendish
    Update from BUPA saying the £65 for my checkup has been approved and will be paid in 5-7 days. I'm still waiting to hear about the claim for the more expensive work.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 11th Apr 19, 12:41 PM
    • 2,860 Posts
    • 18,010 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    Love your idea about the books Georgiana!

Sorry to hear about the difficulties with the family member . You seem to be dealing with it in a positive way though.

By the way - in my world some form of "cleanser" is an essential. However, I have found through sad, costly experience that you don't have to spend a fortune on it!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 16/04/2019 - £2,903.42
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 25
    My diary: ďPaid off the £31,000! BUT- still scrimping!Ē
    • Homegrown0
    • By Homegrown0 12th Apr 19, 9:50 AM
    • 866 Posts
    • 4,688 Thanks
    Homegrown0
    How irritating about the dentist making you pay and claim back! At least you know now for next time that she absolutely can and should sort it out for you to save you all the hassle. I suppose it's a good thing that you get the money back but the wait must be annoying.

I hope the family issues resolve themselves or at least the emotions surrounding them dull a little. It's horrible feeling that way.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    Pay off by Xmas 2019 #02 - target £10,000
    • GeorgianaCavendish
    • By GeorgianaCavendish 15th Apr 19, 10:36 AM
    • 734 Posts
    • 4,699 Thanks
    GeorgianaCavendish
    Thank you Seasidegal and Homegrown The family situation is resolving itself (as much as it can anyway) and I'm starting to feel a lot better about it. Luckily it isn't someone that I have to see on a daily or even weekly basis, so I'm able to get a bit of space for the moment.

I am really hoping that someone does the blind date books for my birthday as well, I'll have to drop some hints!

Although the cleanser situation was annoying, at least I now have a good supply I "saved" £6 on the RRP with the latest purchase as well (can't believe I've only started price comparing cosmetics and skincare in the last year, feels like such a rip off to have ever paid full price!)

I am still really irritated about the dentist receptionist, especially as it takes 10 working days to process the claims. The Easter bank hols mean that I probably won't get a notification until the middle of next week and the payment takes 5-7 days after that But I received the refund for the checkup in my account this morning, so at least I know the system does work (eventually!)

I am looking forward to having some time off over Easter, I suspect that this will be occupied with spring cleaning though! I had another few ebay sales over the weekend (ready for posting today) and I took two bags off stuff to the charity shop as well.

I didn't check my debt spreadsheet at all last week! I know that there won't be any change on the balances until 19th when the final April statement is generated (although with the bank holidays, maybe this happen on Tuesday next week?) so I'm going to try to hold off until then. I'm feeling much less anxious without the frequent checking and running endless calculations, so I think that this is a positive step for me at least for the time being.
    • GeorgianaCavendish
    • By GeorgianaCavendish 16th Apr 19, 2:59 PM
    • 734 Posts
    • 4,699 Thanks
    GeorgianaCavendish
    Ooh. Checked my bank account to confirm a transaction had cleared and saw that I have a pending incoming payment for the full £197 from the dentist. No other communication from them but I'd rather have the cash than an email, so that is good news

No more ebay sales (or returns!), I might have some more things to list tomorrow but I think I'm getting close to the end of the pile. I've also got a pile of things that need repairs or alterations, I'll try to get the ones beyond my capabilities to the dry cleaners before the weekend so I they don't spend another 6 months shoved at the back of my wardrobe!
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 16th Apr 19, 3:07 PM
    • 4,024 Posts
    • 6,374 Thanks
    another casualty
    Good news that you are finally getting money back from the dentists.
    It would make me feel down in the mouth if I was in that situation .
    Sorry
    Keep going Georgina . Sounds like you're still going in the right direction .
    • Loolooly
    • By Loolooly 17th Apr 19, 7:15 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    Loolooly
    Fab thread👍 Iím learning quite a bit. Youíre doing so well. Good on you 🥳
    • Homegrown0
    • By Homegrown0 19th Apr 19, 7:52 PM
    • 866 Posts
    • 4,688 Thanks
    Homegrown0
    I love a good pun, AnotherCasualty!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    Pay off by Xmas 2019 #02 - target £10,000
    • GeorgianaCavendish
    • By GeorgianaCavendish 21st Apr 19, 8:13 AM
    • 734 Posts
    • 4,699 Thanks
    GeorgianaCavendish
    Hehe, thanks AC!
    Loolooly thank you for stopping by and your kind words, I'm glad that my diary has been helpful

Hope everyone is having a fab Easter weekend! We have been doing a lot of spring cleaning (sooo exciting ) and I'm enjoying having a lovely tidy flat while it lasts I'm getting to the end of the clothes sort out, I've got one more vacuum bag of summer clothes to go and then will tackle the cook books etc and random kitchen gadgets.

Hoping to get out for a walk in the sunshine later though, it looks glorious today
    • Loolooly
    • By Loolooly 21st Apr 19, 5:12 PM
    • 21 Posts
    • 60 Thanks
    Loolooly
    Happy easter all. Another good day for you GC! Sorry I canít remember But have you tried matched betting at all? If so, how did you find it?
    • GeorgianaCavendish
    • By GeorgianaCavendish 22nd Apr 19, 6:28 AM
    • 734 Posts
    • 4,699 Thanks
    GeorgianaCavendish
    Happy easter all. Another good day for you GC! Sorry I canít remember But have you tried matched betting at all? If so, how did you find it?
    Originally posted by Loolooly
    Not me I'm afraid, I've never tried matched betting
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,602Posts Today

7,325Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin