Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • GeorgianaCavendish
    • By GeorgianaCavendish 27th Jan 17, 5:30 PM
    • 622Posts
    • 3,945Thanks
    GeorgianaCavendish
    Small Steps Out Of Massive Debt!
    • 27th Jan 17, 5:30 PM
    Small Steps Out Of Massive Debt! 27th Jan 17 at 5:30 PM
    Hi Everyone,

I'm so glad that I've found this website because I really need to get serious and DO SOMETHING about my debts. I thought that keeping a diary on this forum would keep me accountable.

I have taken stock and I have over £35,000 of personal debt on loans and credit cards, which does not include my Student Loan (around £18,000 but I need to check the last statement). I have no savings at all and am living pay day to pay day. I have a pension, which is probably the only semi-financially responsible thing I've done in my whole life.

I have always had a problem with spending money. I never knew when it was time to stop spending. The idea of a budget was a foreign concept. I'd spend until everything had gone, whether that was my wages, student loan payments or birthday money. I go through phases of pretending to be responsible and looking at debt consolidation, but what usually happens is that I don't close the old accounts so a few months down the line I end up spending money on the cleared card.

I know that I need to sort out my spending and to take a brutal look at the state of my finances and what I spend money on. I need to stop seeing credit limits as targets to reach (!!!!) and start seeing them for what they are - invitations to get into debt!

This is what I have outstanding:

£13000 on personal loan
    £10500 Barclaycard
    £8000 MBNA
    £2500 HSBC
    £870 on catalog
    £800 left on furniture (this one is interest free, there are 9 repayments left)

I've been reading the advice for newbies threads so this weekend I am going to go through my last bank & cc statements with a fine tooth comb to work out what I am spending money on, and I'm going to find out the interest rates on all my credit accounts.

Thanks for reading and wish me luck!

PS. My forum name is from a Duchess in the 1700s. She was so bad with money that after she died her husband found out she was around 4 million pounds in debt. Sadly I could imagine this happening to me if I had access to that much credit
    Last edited by GeorgianaCavendish; 07-03-2017 at 3:31 PM.
Page 41
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 9th Apr 18, 8:17 PM
    • 2,365 Posts
    • 14,646 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    I'm using a retinol night cream from Roche-Posey at the moment. Will definitely have to check out The Ordinary - the Roche one isn't that expensive compared to some makes but I've got a feeling it may be dearer than The Ordinary range!
    Finally Debt Free! - July 2016
    Finished Emergency Fund- £10,000 April 2017

Next Scrimpy Goal - Ad Hoc Savings - 10/11/2018 - £1801.03
    MONTHS TO RETIREMENT: 29
    My diary: “Paid off the £31,0000! BUT- still scrimping!”
    • GeorgianaCavendish
    • By GeorgianaCavendish 10th Apr 18, 10:35 AM
    • 622 Posts
    • 3,945 Thanks
    GeorgianaCavendish
    I'm absolutely loving the skincare chatter on here - it's one of the things I really like to play with.

I've discovered that acids really don't work on my skin but the things that I like from the Ordinary range is the marula oil (does the exact same job, looks and smells the same as the £80 African Botanics one I was using previously), the retinoid 0.5% in squalane, the hyaluronic acid and the niacinamide with zinc. What I hate is the vitamin C suspension - too gritty - and the alpha arbutin - too gloppy!

GC, have you tried Glossier? Everyone raves about it but almost single product I've tried (milky jelly cleanser, priming moisturiser, cloud paint, stretch concealer) I've hated. I don't get it. I don't know why everyone loves it!
    Originally posted by Silver Queen
    I'm loving the skincare chat too I've never tried Glossier, I heard about them after I'd already discovered Beauty Pie and I didn't need more makeup at that time. Its a shame that the products didn't work out for you, I'll give them a miss based on your experience!

I'm using a retinol night cream from Roche-Posey at the moment. Will definitely have to check out The Ordinary - the Roche one isn't that expensive compared to some makes but I've got a feeling it may be dearer than The Ordinary range!
    Originally posted by Seasidegal58
    Definitely worth having a look at The Ordinary! They might not have a substitute for your RP night cream but I think its worth a look and running through the sums.
    18 months ago I was using Chanel moisturiser, I loved it but I'm shuddering now at the cost!
    I changed to Clinique which was half the price and while I've not found anything from Beauty Pie or The Ordinary that works as well as the Clinique, I've compromised by asking for it as Christmas and birthday presents. I was lucky this Christmas because three people chose to get me moisturiser so I shouldn't need to buy any more until after the summer
    Working towards being debt free by 31st March 2020!
    • GeorgianaCavendish
    • By GeorgianaCavendish 10th Apr 18, 10:42 AM
    • 622 Posts
    • 3,945 Thanks
    GeorgianaCavendish
    I made the decision to trim my credit limits on a couple of cards and making sure that I've opted out of automatic credit limit increases on all of them. I have been holding out and thinking that it is better to have unused credit in the hopes of a balance transfer offer, but being brutally honest with myself I think the bigger danger is that I will always feel that the unused credit is a safety net and I will use it in "emergencies" instead of employing other MSE techniques.

I'm feeling a bit better having done this. I was staring at my spreadsheet yesterday and feeling more and more anxious at all the totals, and even started looking at balance transfers or loan options. I talked myself down from that particular ledge and by making the decision to reduce the credit limits, I feel like I've got some control back. I'm going to amend my spreadsheet to show the percentage repaid on each account, not just the total - I think that will help my motivation!
    • One-step-at-a-time
    • By One-step-at-a-time 10th Apr 18, 10:58 AM
    • 205 Posts
    • 703 Thanks
    One-step-at-a-time
    I was staring at my spreadsheet yesterday and feeling more and more anxious at all the totals, and even started looking at balance transfers or loan options. I talked myself down from that particular ledge and by making the decision to reduce the credit limits, I feel like I've got some control back. I'm going to amend my spreadsheet to show the percentage repaid on each account, not just the total - I think that will help my motivation!
    Originally posted by GeorgianaCavendish
    I get spreadsheet anxiety if I spend too long staring at it.
    I do love changing percentages, though. I have percentage paid, percentage of credit used per card, and percentage of overall credit used, all to two decimal places so I can usually make a positive change even if the payment is only tiny
    LBM: Jan 2017. Total owed: 46993.21
    Current debt: 28525.84 - 39.3% paid
    DFD: May 2021
    • GeorgianaCavendish
    • By GeorgianaCavendish 10th Apr 18, 3:11 PM
    • 622 Posts
    • 3,945 Thanks
    GeorgianaCavendish
    I get spreadsheet anxiety if I spend too long staring at it.
    I do love changing percentages, though. I have percentage paid, percentage of credit used per card, and percentage of overall credit used, all to two decimal places so I can usually make a positive change even if the payment is only tiny
    Originally posted by One-step-at-a-time
    I've got my new percentage paid column set to two decimal places too, really glad I did because some of them will barely move while I concentrate on the Top 4!
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 10th Apr 18, 8:00 PM
    • 2,365 Posts
    • 14,646 Thanks
    Seasidegal58
    I'm loving the skincare chat too I've never tried Glossier, I heard about them after I'd already discovered Beauty Pie and I didn't need more makeup at that time. Its a shame that the products didn't work out for you, I'll give them a miss based on your experience!

Definitely worth having a look at The Ordinary! They might not have a substitute for your RP night cream but I think its worth a look and running through the sums.
    18 months ago I was using Chanel moisturiser, I loved it but I'm shuddering now at the cost!
    I changed to Clinique which was half the price and while I've not found anything from Beauty Pie or The Ordinary that works as well as the Clinique, I've compromised by asking for it as Christmas and birthday presents. I was lucky this Christmas because three people chose to get me moisturiser so I shouldn't need to buy any more until after the summer
    Originally posted by GeorgianaCavendish
    I must admit that I've never found a toner as good as Clinique's which I've been using since my late twenties. I've tried other makes both dearer and cheaper but I always go back to it.

• JoJoC
    • By JoJoC 11th Apr 18, 11:55 AM
    • 1,128 Posts
    • 6,921 Thanks
    JoJoC
    After reading all the talk of percentages, I just added a column to my already busy spreadsheet! It's so nice to see it though - I generally just work it out when I do my end of month round up but this way is better. I can look ahead to see when I should reach a certain % milestone and try to beat my future self
    CC1: £4481.14/ £5031.14 (12% paid off, £600) | CC2:£3307/ £3807 (14.4% paid off, £550) | Loan: £10,528.20/ £15,792.30((33% paid off, £5,264))

July debt total: £24,630.44 | New debt total: £18,316.34 | Total debt paid: £6,414.10 (26%)
    *My debt busting and savings diary*
    • GeorgianaCavendish
    • By GeorgianaCavendish 12th Apr 18, 10:27 AM
    • 622 Posts
    • 3,945 Thanks
    GeorgianaCavendish
    After reading all the talk of percentages, I just added a column to my already busy spreadsheet! It's so nice to see it though - I generally just work it out when I do my end of month round up but this way is better. I can look ahead to see when I should reach a certain % milestone and try to beat my future self
    Originally posted by JoJoC
    I've only had the % column for a few days but it is already helping me to feel more positive. Yes it is frustrating when the overall figure doesn't seem to be moving much, but when I can see that one of the debts is 40% paid it makes me feel like I'm making progress
    • GeorgianaCavendish
    • By GeorgianaCavendish 12th Apr 18, 10:30 AM
    • 622 Posts
    • 3,945 Thanks
    GeorgianaCavendish
    I'm trying to rediscover my teaspoon zen. I need to keep the focus on emptying the teaspoon and not start staring at the lake and feeling helpless. I know all too well where that behaviour leads!

Part of this is not being over ambitious with my debt busting, it is really tempting to go all out because sitting and thinking about my debt total feels intolerable. BUT I know that if I over-commit myself with over payments / don't put aside money for an emergency fund or start budgeting for expensive periods then I will end up with more debt.

So there's a bit teaspoon meditation going on here today!
    • thegirlinthegreenscarf
    • By thegirlinthegreenscarf 12th Apr 18, 10:49 AM
    • 90 Posts
    • 225 Thanks
    thegirlinthegreenscarf
    Hi GC Good to see you back

GC/Seasidegal58
    Which clinique moisturiser to you use?
    MBNA (Was £2000), Now £1,441.22 (Expected date Dec/2019)
    CAR (Was £300) Now
    £2,280 (Interest free loan from family member)

**Want to be on my way to being debt free for 40**
    • GeorgianaCavendish
    • By GeorgianaCavendish 12th Apr 18, 10:59 AM
    • 622 Posts
    • 3,945 Thanks
    GeorgianaCavendish

GC/Seasidegal58
    Originally posted by thegirlinthegreenscarf
    Thank you, its good to be back!

I use Moisture Surge (the "Extended Thirst Relief" variant, there is a plain "Moisture Surge" one too)
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 12th Apr 18, 11:03 AM
    • 2,061 Posts
    • 12,812 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I like the teaspoon metaphor.

Clinique for me is the moisture surge one, lovely stuff but not as good as my favourite ever skin thing which is Estee Lauder Idealist.

Silver queen thanks for the feedback on the Vit C one, that was on my mental to try list.
    • GeorgianaCavendish
    • By GeorgianaCavendish 12th Apr 18, 2:12 PM
    • 622 Posts
    • 3,945 Thanks
    GeorgianaCavendish
    I like the teaspoon metaphor.

Clinique for me is the moisture surge one, lovely stuff but not as good as my favourite ever skin thing which is Estee Lauder Idealist.

Silver queen thanks for the feedback on the Vit C one, that was on my mental to try list.
    Originally posted by redofromstart
    It's good isn't it? It's from another poster with a really inspiring thread but of course now I can't find or remember it Will update if it comes back to me!
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 12th Apr 18, 3:47 PM
    • 2,061 Posts
    • 12,812 Thanks
    redofromstart
    I think I can remember IwanttobeSW posting about it ages ago on her diary? I had some as a free sample and really liked it so bought some when they did a buy one, get one free offer last year.
    • Seasidegal58
    • By Seasidegal58 12th Apr 18, 9:43 PM
    • 2,365 Posts
    • 14,646 Thanks
    Seasidegal58

GC/Seasidegal58
    Originally posted by thegirlinthegreenscarf
    I don't use the Clinique moisturiser any more TGITGH. Up until a few years ago I used to use their whole three step system but now use a micellar water based cleanser and an Olay serum during the day under my foundation. I found I needed something a bit stronger for my ageing skin than the moisturiser - plus I still have combination skin that doesn't need that much hydrating. Last summer I discovered Roche-Posey's tinted moisturiser which was great for hot days when foundation felt too heavy and gives reasonable coverage.

• PositiveBalance
    • By PositiveBalance 12th Apr 18, 11:56 PM
    • 831 Posts
    • 4,254 Thanks
    PositiveBalance
    Hello Duchess - nice to have you back!

Blimey, I feel really out of it on the skincare discussion - I joined the No More Buying Toiletries thread a while back and it really helped me figure out what does/doesn't work for me and stick to it.

Best of luck with the debt-busting. It's going slooooowly for me.
    Original debt to source: £11,640.02; debt repaid: £6771.01 (58%); remaining debt: £5069.01
    0% CC balance: £4999.67 now
    £2799.40 (44% repaid)
    Emergency Fund (#187): £500/£500
    Terrimundi: fleeced!
    • FiscalPickle
    • By FiscalPickle 13th Apr 18, 10:30 AM
    • 130 Posts
    • 317 Thanks
    FiscalPickle
    I have problematic skin, with acne now combined with dry spots. A few years ago I realised that cheap skincare was no longer cutting it. Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair serum has done wonders for my skin, I think that given the results the price isn't too hideous. I buy it in Boots for Advantage points and Estee Lauder are really generous with samples and treatments for regular customers. I (now) don't spend particularly much on shoes, clothes or anything else for myself really, but a good haircut and decent skincare are non-negotiable for me. I may have debt, but equally I can't turn up to work looking like a bag lady.
    DFD - 26/10/19
    In the process of shedding £20k and 35lbs
    • Silver Queen
    • By Silver Queen 13th Apr 18, 10:56 AM
    • 508 Posts
    • 2,280 Thanks
    Silver Queen
    I have problematic skin, with acne now combined with dry spots. A few years ago I realised that cheap skincare was no longer cutting it. Estee Lauder Advanced Night Repair serum has done wonders for my skin, I think that given the results the price isn't too hideous. I buy it in Boots for Advantage points and Estee Lauder are really generous with samples and treatments for regular customers. I (now) don't spend particularly much on shoes, clothes or anything else for myself really, but a good haircut and decent skincare are non-negotiable for me. I may have debt, but equally I can't turn up to work looking like a bag lady.
    Originally posted by FiscalPickle
    I have the same issue - acne and dry spots. Advanced Night Repair used to work wonders for me too (I used to work for EL so got it on massive discount and often free) but I've actually now had better results using Body Shop's camomile cleansing balm in conjunction with the Ordinary skincare! I completely agree that EL are really good with giving samples and treatments though.
    Debt Totals December 2018::
    £350 Natwest Credit Card / Now £0 (paid off and closed 04/2017) £15,500 postgrad loan from parents/ Now £8,500 £500 train ticket loan from parents / Now £0 (paid off 16/02/18) £2,000 Overdraft Now £0 (paid off 09/03/18) £1,967.83 Barclays 0% card Now £1,967.83
    • leon103
    • By leon103 13th Apr 18, 3:08 PM
    • 722 Posts
    • 173 Thanks
    leon103
    Since yesterday I have read this entire thread and enjoyed more than the current book I am reading. Well done on changing your life style. I would be interest in seeing how your monthly outgoings have changed.

I used to read these diaries a lot in the past. I am in a fortunate position have having little debt, a mortgage and a few months left of my student loan. This has been achieved from reading threads like this and being a tight !!!!. But I always learn little tips and ideas how to make adjustments to my finances.
    • GeorgianaCavendish
    • By GeorgianaCavendish 16th Apr 18, 10:26 AM
    • 622 Posts
    • 3,945 Thanks
    GeorgianaCavendish
    Since yesterday I have read this entire thread and enjoyed more than the current book I am reading. Well done on changing your life style. I would be interest in seeing how your monthly outgoings have changed.

I used to read these diaries a lot in the past. I am in a fortunate position have having little debt, a mortgage and a few months left of my student loan. This has been achieved from reading threads like this and being a tight !!!!. But I always learn little tips and ideas how to make adjustments to my finances.
    Originally posted by leon103
    Thank you, that is really nice to hear Congratulations on getting to the end of your student loan, it must feel like a weight is about to be lifted!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

933Posts Today

6,018Users online

Martin's Twitter