Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • VLIT
    • By VLIT 26th Jan 17, 1:37 PM
    • 6Posts
    • 0Thanks
    VLIT
    Barclays account "under review"
    • 26th Jan 17, 1:37 PM
    Barclays account "under review" 26th Jan 17 at 1:37 PM
    Good morning! I know this theme has already been talked about extensively on this forum, but please bear with me. My situation seems to be slightly different from all others that have been already discussed, and therefore I was hoping someone could me advice pertinent to my specific case.
    On the 6th of December I tried to use my debit card without success two times. I tried to open my mobile banking app and found that I could no longer access my account. I therefore called Barclays and was told that my account had been put under review. Noticing the unwillingness of the person at the other end of the phone to help me in any way, I decided to just visit my branch, where an extremely sympathetic teller was far more helpful. Talking to him, he did not know why my account was under review or how long it would take. However, he suggested that it could be connected to a bank transfer that I had received a few days earlier. At that point, he asked if I could provide him with a payslip to prove that the funds actually belonged to me. I explained that I could not, because I am a university student and the funds on my account had come from my mother. This surprised him, as he said that for a student it is normal to receive funds from a parent, especially when the student in question is from another country like I am, and that this should not be a suspicious transaction. He then asked if I could provide the receipt from my mother's hand of the bank transfer, which I did immediately, and he sent it to the fraud department. However, 20 days have now gone by and I still have no access to my funds.
    I am extremely stressed by this situation, as I have been borrowing money from friends for the past three weeks and still have no idea when I will be able to access my bank account again. If anyone could give some helpful suggestions, I would be very grateful.
Page 2
    • starM
    • By starM 25th Mar 17, 9:13 PM
    • 1,380 Posts
    • 182 Thanks
    starM
    For large credits bank can ask for document proof but there should be timescale in which bank should make a decision or ask for further evidence.

Someone said its been 3 months and the account is still under review. That's totally unacceptabe.

We have just sold a property and l20k has been transferred in our account. The money is available and we are hoping the property we are purchasing completion will be done by next Friday.

Now if bank freeze the account because of large credit and took a long time to make a decsion on it. Who would be responsible for our losses especially if we loose the property.

All banks are same but I have seen allot of news of Barclays. Just keep away from Barclays for large deposits.
    • Thrugelmir
    • By Thrugelmir 26th Mar 17, 10:59 AM
    • 59,517 Posts
    • 52,823 Thanks
    Thrugelmir
    We have just sold a property and l20k has been transferred in our account. The money is available and we are hoping the property we are purchasing completion will be done by next Friday.

Now if bank freeze the account because of large credit and took a long time to make a decsion on it. Who would be responsible for our losses especially if we loose the property.
    Originally posted by starM
    Why would this transaction cause an issue? Seems totally straightforward. Unless there's something that you haven't said.
    Financial disasters happen when the last person who can remember what went wrong last time has left the building.
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 26th Mar 17, 12:03 PM
    • 5,646 Posts
    • 4,974 Thanks
    mgdavid
    Conversation with whom exactly? If they want conversation they must have some regular procedure for this and make their customers aware of its existence.
    Originally posted by grumbler
    'They' don't want it, the account-holder needs it.

No must about it; it is not up to 'them' to hand-hold their customers, it is expected that ordinary people have a modicum of common sense and general knowledge, and keep themselves informed and acquainted with what's going on in the world.
    Those that stick their head up their jacksie and ignore it do so at their peril. After all, who actually suffers most?
    I read so many posts on forums (not just MSE) and mutter to myself 'self-inflicted' and move on.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 26th Mar 17, 7:42 PM
    • 51,398 Posts
    • 21,765 Thanks
    grumbler
    Why would this transaction cause an issue? Seems totally straightforward. Unless there's something that you haven't said.
    Originally posted by Thrugelmir
    Did you read the very first post in this thread? Was that transaction not 'straightforward'? Even the bank's employee was surprised by the freezing.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
    • grumbler
    • By grumbler 26th Mar 17, 7:44 PM
    • 51,398 Posts
    • 21,765 Thanks
    grumbler
    I read so many posts on forums (not just MSE) and mutter to myself 'self-inflicted' and move on.
    Originally posted by mgdavid
    I read many times that people tried to inform their bank in advance only to be fobbed off by the frontline CS saying that they couldn't do anything.
    We are born naked, wet and hungry...Then things get worse.

.withdrawal, NOT withdrawel ..bear with me, NOT bare with me
    .definitely, NOT definately ......separate, NOT seperate
    should have, NOT should of
    .....guaranteed, NOT guarenteed
    • shootingstarr
    • By shootingstarr 23rd Mar 18, 6:12 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    shootingstarr
    Ridiculous
    Why is depositing a large cheque 'dodgy', mgdavid?

I received my stamp duty refund from HMRC and went into a branch to have it deposited. The staff did it for me. Next day I was told my 'Premier' account was 'under review' for 10 working days and I should 'refer to the Terms and Conditions' on my account if I had a problem with that. That's it. No way to pay my bills coming at the end of the month.

Am I 'dodgy' for taking a cheque from HMRC into a branch to have it deposited, mgdavid? How else should I have done it? Singing telegram delivery to the head office?
    • John-K
    • By John-K 24th Mar 18, 9:34 AM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,017 Thanks
    John-K
    Did you read the very first post in this thread? Was that transaction not 'straightforward'? Even the bank's employee was surprised by the freezing.
    No, it was a large payment from an overseas account. We do not know which country it was from, but as I am told in my quarterly endless training sessions there are jurisdictions that are immediately red-flagged for greater scrutiny.

If it was a payment from Soc Gen Paris then yes, it is a bit strange, but if it was a payment from a country subject to sanctions then it is not a surprise that it is problematic.
    • Shakin Steve
    • By Shakin Steve 24th Mar 18, 10:42 AM
    • 1,506 Posts
    • 1,246 Thanks
    Shakin Steve
    No, it was a large payment from an overseas account. We do not know which country it was from, but as I am told in my quarterly endless training sessions there are jurisdictions that are immediately red-flagged for greater scrutiny.

If it was a payment from Soc Gen Paris then yes, it is a bit strange, but if it was a payment from a country subject to sanctions then it is not a surprise that it is problematic.
    Originally posted by John-K
    Since the document is in Italian, I'm assuming that the funds are from Italy?
    I came into this world with nothing and I've got most of it left.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 24th Mar 18, 12:17 PM
    • 9,247 Posts
    • 13,424 Thanks
    meer53
    Why is depositing a large cheque 'dodgy', mgdavid?

I received my stamp duty refund from HMRC and went into a branch to have it deposited. The staff did it for me. Next day I was told my 'Premier' account was 'under review' for 10 working days and I should 'refer to the Terms and Conditions' on my account if I had a problem with that. That's it. No way to pay my bills coming at the end of the month.

Am I 'dodgy' for taking a cheque from HMRC into a branch to have it deposited, mgdavid? How else should I have done it? Singing telegram delivery to the head office?
    Originally posted by shootingstarr
    You've replied to a thread that is 12 months old !
    • MoneyManBene
    • By MoneyManBene 7th Aug 18, 3:39 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MoneyManBene
    paranoid?
    You are clearly aware Banks have regulations under anti-money laundering laws to check the source of funds into a customers account. The have the right to block any account if they have suspicions and do not need to inform the customer under T&Cs on the accounts. It will stay blocked until said customer provides proof of those funds.
    • MoneyManBene
    • By MoneyManBene 7th Aug 18, 3:45 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MoneyManBene
    I read many times that people tried to inform their bank in advance only to be fobbed off by the frontline CS saying that they couldn't do anything.
    Ok, so ponder on this one... " Hi Mr CS, I am a fraudster who is about to Scam an 80 year old out of 10,000 of his life savings. I will be sending that money to my account, is that ok? I dont want it to look dodgy or get stopped, as I want to draw it all out in branch the next day, ok "

Banks do not work on a preemptive system but a reactive system, payments are assessed as they are paid rather than clearing them because Mr 18 year old wants to buy a new 10,000 car in cash that they have just scammed someone out of. Again this is the law to check.
    • MoneyManBene
    • By MoneyManBene 7th Aug 18, 3:49 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    MoneyManBene
    For large credits bank can ask for document proof but there should be timescale in which bank should make a decision or ask for further evidence.

Someone said its been 3 months and the account is still under review. That's totally unacceptabe.

All banks are same but I have seen allot of news of Barclays. Just keep away from Barclays for large deposits.
    Originally posted by starM
    3 months is unacceptable? how do you know 100% that person is not in receipt of fraudulent funds? how do you know 100% they have not been money laundering? i'm glad you take random peoples stories on an internet forum as gospel. " oh no the Banks are evil, these people on here must all be salt of the earth kinda folk "
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 7th Aug 18, 4:02 PM
    • 32,315 Posts
    • 20,326 Thanks
    DCFC79
    3 months is unacceptable? how do you know 100% that person is not in receipt of fraudulent funds? how do you know 100% they have not been money laundering? i'm glad you take random peoples stories on an internet forum as gospel. " oh no the Banks are evil, these people on here must all be salt of the earth kinda folk "
    Originally posted by MoneyManBene

You do know you have replied to a thread that's under 5 months old ?
    • Westie983
    • By Westie983 7th Aug 18, 4:20 PM
    • 4,497 Posts
    • 15,047 Thanks
    Westie983
    You do know you have replied to a thread that's under 5 months old ?
    Originally posted by DCFC79
    18 months more like, no reply to the situation.

I assume everything was either sorted, or remained locked or the OP returned back home, (if left education)

Westie983
    Save 12k in 2018 #10 Total (25,000)+13,000/12,000 = 108.33%
    Sealed Pot Challenge ~ 11 #97 Total (410) + 40/500 = 8.00% ( x 11)
    Xmas 2018 1 a Day #2 Total 62.59/365 = 17.14%
    Virtual Sealed Pot #1 Total 1200/1000 = 120.00%
    2 Savers Club 2018 #16 Total (1500)+-470/2000 = 51.50%

Total 15,332.59/15,865 = 96.64%

I'm a Board Guide on Budgeting & Bank Accounts, Debt-Free Wannabe, Disability Money Matters, and Savings & Investments. I'm a volunteer helping the boards run smoothly, but I'm not a moderator, and do not read all posts. If you see an inappropriate/illegal post then email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 7th Aug 18, 4:38 PM
    • 32,315 Posts
    • 20,326 Thanks
    DCFC79
    18 months more like, no reply to the situation.

I assume everything was either sorted, or remained locked or the OP returned back home, (if left education)

Westie983
    Originally posted by Westie983

Nice, your the first 1 to spot it so a prize will be winging its way to you.

Yes I hope after this time the OP has sorted it out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

144Posts Today

1,192Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin