Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Chris4
    • By Chris4 26th Jan 17, 10:18 AM
    • 127Posts
    • 46Thanks
    Chris4
    0 WOW
    Cheapest way to change name on long-haul flight
    • 26th Jan 17, 10:18 AM
    0 WOW
    Cheapest way to change name on long-haul flight 26th Jan 17 at 10:18 AM
    Hi, my friend booked a long-haul flight under "Chris" rather than "Christopher". We've contacted the agency (Travel Trolley) and there's a pretty hefty charge for changing it.

Apparently the airline (Singapore Airlines) doesn't have control of the flights until 24 hours before departure, and someone suggested waiting until that period before changing. Has anyone ever done this?
Page 1
    • Stevie Palimo
    • By Stevie Palimo 26th Jan 17, 10:29 AM
    • 3,099 Posts
    • 4,419 Thanks
    Stevie Palimo
    • 26th Jan 17, 10:29 AM
    • 26th Jan 17, 10:29 AM
    Speak to the airline directly and waiting on the 24 hour window would not make any difference as the fee that they may charge would not alter, I changed a name on a ticket and that was 20.00, This was with the airline and was around 6-7 years ago.
    • inkwat
    • By inkwat 26th Jan 17, 11:37 AM
    • 31 Posts
    • 19 Thanks
    inkwat
    • 26th Jan 17, 11:37 AM
    • 26th Jan 17, 11:37 AM
    Some airlines do not charge for 'spelling' mistakes on tickets but will charge to change the name. You could try emphasising that it is a spelling error and not a change of name. I also heard one case where the person changed the name on a ticket without incurring fees by ringing up once per day and changing it one letter at a time but I can't say I'd advise that method.
    • Chris4
    • By Chris4 26th Jan 17, 11:45 AM
    • 127 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Chris4
    • 26th Jan 17, 11:45 AM
    • 26th Jan 17, 11:45 AM
    Speak to the airline directly and waiting on the 24 hour window would not make any difference as the fee that they may charge would not alter, I changed a name on a ticket and that was 20.00, This was with the airline and was around 6-7 years ago.
    Originally posted by Stevie Palimo
    Some airlines do not charge for 'spelling' mistakes on tickets but will charge to change the name. You could try emphasising that it is a spelling error and not a change of name.
    Originally posted by inkwat
    I'm awaiting confirmation from the agent on the cost, but online I have seen figures for Travel Trolley name change at 100-200, but that was a few years ago. A more recent post suggested 68. According to this document, Singapore Airlines instruct their Trade Partners to collect 65 in fees.

As I say, because I booked via the agent, I don't believe it's possible to change it via the airline as you've both suggested. But correct me if I'm wrong.

I also heard one case where the person changed the name on a ticket without incurring fees by ringing up once per day and changing it one letter at a time but I can't say I'd advise that method.
    Originally posted by inkwat
    Haha thanks I'll keep that in mind!
    Last edited by Chris4; 26-01-2017 at 11:49 AM.
    • Heliflyguy
    • By Heliflyguy 26th Jan 17, 11:53 AM
    • 805 Posts
    • 390 Thanks
    Heliflyguy
    • 26th Jan 17, 11:53 AM
    • 26th Jan 17, 11:53 AM
    Singapore airlines will probably refer you back to the agent as they made the booking.

As mentioned its a name correction rather than a change and the cost will be as in the terms and conditions you have with the agent.

The procedure you link to is a bit of a faff for the agent so depending on what they are quoting you it maybe slightly justified.
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 26th Jan 17, 12:09 PM
    • 3,154 Posts
    • 2,078 Thanks
    jpsartre
    • 26th Jan 17, 12:09 PM
    • 26th Jan 17, 12:09 PM
    I have a friend who travels under the shortened version of his first name and has been doing so for years. He has yet to experience any problems. In fact, I can't recall ever reading of anyone that has been denied boarding for using a commonly accepted shortened version of their first name.
    • Mumof32k18
    • By Mumof32k18 2nd Mar 18, 4:56 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Mumof32k18
    • 2nd Mar 18, 4:56 AM
    Hey
    • 2nd Mar 18, 4:56 AM
    Hi Chris
    Just wanted to know the outcome of your dilemma... As I have made same error with my partners ticket !!!128542;!!!128542;
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 2nd Mar 18, 6:46 AM
    • 11,183 Posts
    • 7,340 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 2nd Mar 18, 6:46 AM
    • 2nd Mar 18, 6:46 AM
    I have made same error with my partners ticket
    Originally posted by Mumof32k18
    same airline and same agent? (answers will differ with different airlines/agents)
    • Mumof32k18
    • By Mumof32k18 2nd Mar 18, 7:10 AM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Mumof32k18
    • 2nd Mar 18, 7:10 AM
    • 2nd Mar 18, 7:10 AM
    Yes same airline and same agency
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 2nd Mar 18, 8:29 AM
    • 3,397 Posts
    • 1,610 Thanks
    eDicky
    Yes same airline and same agency
    And how does the name on the booking vary from the passport name? If it's just a common shortened version such as Chris for Christopher there should be no need to correct it, as jpsartre says.
    • Mumof32k18
    • By Mumof32k18 2nd Mar 18, 4:42 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Mumof32k18
    Hi
    I spelt husband name instead of Steve I put ateve!!!!!!!
    • eDicky
    • By eDicky 2nd Mar 18, 9:27 PM
    • 3,397 Posts
    • 1,610 Thanks
    eDicky
    Hi
    I spelt husband name instead of Steve I put ateve!!!!!!!
    That's an obvious typo, a one letter spelling mistake that S'pore Airlines would likely correct for free if you contact them quickly, but having booked through Travel Trolley if SQ say you must deal with them, that's another matter... Please let us know how you get on with SQ and/or TT (which the OP failed to do).
    • TheRevJimJones
    • By TheRevJimJones 7th Mar 18, 9:47 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    TheRevJimJones
    Apropos of nothing, perhaps, but I have an extremely long (Portuguese) surname. It runs to 28 characters including spaces and I also have two given names.

It is rare that I travel with an airline that has space on their booking/ticketing system for my entire legal name and does not have to abbreviate it in some way. Usually this involves removing the spaces and truncating, or else just using the final part of my surname. Either way, what is on my boarding pass hardly ever matches what is in my passport.

I've never had any issues travelling.
    • Mumof32k18
    • By Mumof32k18 8th Mar 18, 4:24 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    Mumof32k18
    Hi all

Just to let you know
    That after a 5 phonecalls and 6 emails and a few sleepless nights

Travel trolley have changed the booking name and cost 63!!!!! But at least it is corrected
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

80Posts Today

2,001Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin