Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MissTasmanian
    • By MissTasmanian 25th Jan 17, 10:51 AM
    • 677Posts
    • 308Thanks
    MissTasmanian
    Avoid gospendit gift cards at all costs!
    • 25th Jan 17, 10:51 AM
    Avoid gospendit gift cards at all costs! 25th Jan 17 at 10:51 AM
    I was really touched when a friend gave me a gift card after I looked after her cat for a week, but it's been worse than a nightmare trying to use the card.

I’ve tried several times to use it in online and after that wasn’t successful I had a horrendous experience at Tesco when progressively more senior staff members were called over to “help.” Eventually, they concluded that there was a problem with the card.

So, I bit the bullet and called gospendits premium number since there’s no other way to contact them. Eventually, I could speak to an Indian gentleman after waiting on hold and entering every single digit on the card into their automated service.

I’d lost all patience and a huge chunk of my phone balance; however, he quickly twisted my irritation into a sort of jaded, resigned acceptance when he kept repeating, as if on a loop, that there was no problem with the card and that I should “sue Tesco.”

Instead of suing Tesco I decided to try one last time in another shop but this time the card said it was declined because it was reported as lost.

Sometimes you just need to admit you’re beat in life and so I say kudos to gospendit : they managed to save themselves £50 and also make £8 from me for the privilege of calling them to tell them their card doesn’t work.
Page 1
    • DavidFx
    • By DavidFx 25th Jan 17, 12:15 PM
    • 208 Posts
    • 122 Thanks
    DavidFx
    • 25th Jan 17, 12:15 PM
    • 25th Jan 17, 12:15 PM
    From http://www.saynoto0870.com

You can use the general VISA "Contact US" number (020 7795 5777) and navigate the options rather than dialing the 0870 number on the GOSPENDIT website.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 25th Jan 17, 12:19 PM
    • 4,399 Posts
    • 4,433 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 25th Jan 17, 12:19 PM
    • 25th Jan 17, 12:19 PM
    Is gospendit a UK company? If yes then they're breaking the law by only offering a premium rate customer service number.
    Diary of a madman
    Walk the line again today
    Entries of confusion
    Dear diary, I'm here to stay
    • reehsetin
    • By reehsetin 25th Jan 17, 12:30 PM
    • 4,818 Posts
    • 4,554 Thanks
    reehsetin
    • 25th Jan 17, 12:30 PM
    • 25th Jan 17, 12:30 PM
    Gift cards are a waste of time whatever they are, always more restrictive than cash I can't understand why people get them at all
    Yes Your Dukeiness
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 25th Jan 17, 2:17 PM
    • 2,026 Posts
    • 1,184 Thanks
    Ian011
    • 25th Jan 17, 2:17 PM
    • 25th Jan 17, 2:17 PM
    Using an 084, 087 or 09 number for this is illegal.

Listen to the first 8 minutes of this: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0890kj6
    • fleshandbone
    • By fleshandbone 25th Jan 17, 2:23 PM
    • 553 Posts
    • 285 Thanks
    fleshandbone
    • 25th Jan 17, 2:23 PM
    • 25th Jan 17, 2:23 PM
    the gospendit webpage does not offer much information about the cards, seems like a deliberate attempt to make things difficult for the user.
    • MissTasmanian
    • By MissTasmanian 30th Jan 17, 2:00 PM
    • 677 Posts
    • 308 Thanks
    MissTasmanian
    • 30th Jan 17, 2:00 PM
    • 30th Jan 17, 2:00 PM
    http://imgur.com/a/bKXDW

This is a nightmare I was unable to call them with the "US Number," as they ask you to call the premium number, and so having spent the last of my credit I demanded they reimburse me for the money I've spent having to call their premium number. They're insisting on proof but I don't know of a way to get the individual calls to show with giffgaff without paying for a subject access request, if anyone knows I'd be very grateful.

Anyway, at least now they'll supposedly refund me for the gift card once I drop the request for my phone calls to be reimbursed.

But it really boils my blood that they're claiming that 0870 is a geographic number! The lies coming out of these people is awful.
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 30th Jan 17, 3:15 PM
    • 4,399 Posts
    • 4,433 Thanks
    DoaM
    • 30th Jan 17, 3:15 PM
    • 30th Jan 17, 3:15 PM
    Screenshot the call history on your phone?
    Diary of a madman
    Entries of confusion
    • MissTasmanian
    • By MissTasmanian 30th Jan 17, 3:17 PM
    • 677 Posts
    • 308 Thanks
    MissTasmanian
    • 30th Jan 17, 3:17 PM
    • 30th Jan 17, 3:17 PM
    Screenshot the call history on your phone?
    Originally posted by DoaM
    I need to show them how much the call cost me and unfortunately my phone only shows that I called their number and not how much it cost me.
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 30th Jan 17, 4:39 PM
    • 2,026 Posts
    • 1,184 Thanks
    Ian011
    But it really boils my blood that they're claiming that 0870 is a geographic number! The lies coming out of these people is awful.
    Originally posted by MissTasmanian
    You can report the false claims about call costs to ASA and to the Phone-paid Service Services Authority. This is a premium rate number operating outside of the relevant rules.

Call costs are explained here:
    -https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/articles/contacting-08-and-03-numbers

Call cost rules detailed here:
    -http://ask.ofcom.org.uk/help/telephone/businesscalling
    -https://www.cap.org.uk/Advice-Training-on-the-rules/Advice-Online-Database/Chargeable-08-numbers-General.aspx

The illegal usage of an 0870 number for after-sales enquiries can be reported to the Citizen's Advice national Consumer Helpline on 0345 404 0506. They can escalate to Trading Standards.

Regulations:
    -http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2013/3134/regulation/41/made
    Last edited by Ian011; 30-01-2017 at 4:42 PM.
    • MissTasmanian
    • By MissTasmanian 30th Jan 17, 8:06 PM
    • 677 Posts
    • 308 Thanks
    MissTasmanian
    Many thanks Ian, I'll call the consumer helpline tomorrow
    • MissTasmanian
    • By MissTasmanian 1st Feb 17, 2:59 PM
    • 677 Posts
    • 308 Thanks
    MissTasmanian
    So, bad news is is that banking doesn't fall under the non-premium number requirement
    • DoaM
    • By DoaM 1st Feb 17, 4:08 PM
    • 4,399 Posts
    • 4,433 Thanks
    DoaM
    I need to show them how much the call cost me and unfortunately my phone only shows that I called their number and not how much it cost me.
    giffgaff publish their call rates. https://www.giffgaff.com/pricing

Calls to other UK mobiles, landlines and calls forwarding ... 15p per minute

Numbers starting 084, 087, 09, 118
    The call cost will be our Access Charge plus the Service Charge of the company being called. More info ... 25p per minute + Service Charge
    Last edited by DoaM; 01-02-2017 at 4:38 PM.
    Diary of a madman
    Entries of confusion
    • paddyrg
    • By paddyrg 1st Feb 17, 5:20 PM
    • 13,112 Posts
    • 11,187 Thanks
    paddyrg
    I would be uncertain about trying to reclaim 25ppm on top of the service charge - they could argue that you chose to call from a mobile making the call cost 35ppm instead of 10ppm from a landline (for instance, not real figures)
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 2nd Feb 17, 2:17 PM
    • 2,026 Posts
    • 1,184 Thanks
    Ian011
    So, bad news is is that banking doesn't fall under the non-premium number requirement
    The FCA introduced regulation covering banks, card companies and insurers effective 26 October 2015.

I would be uncertain about trying to reclaim 25ppm on top of the service charge - they could argue that you chose to call from a mobile making the call cost 35ppm instead of 10ppm from a landline (for instance, not real figures)
    Originally posted by paddyrg
    The BIS regulations give callers the right to a refund of excess call costs incurred over and above whatever an equivalent call to an 01, 02 or 03 number would have cost.

If you have inclusive calls to 01, 02 and 03 numbers, the regulations give the caller the right to a full refund of all of the call cost incurred in calling an 084, 087 or 09 number.
    • MissTasmanian
    • By MissTasmanian 5th Feb 17, 12:40 PM
    • 677 Posts
    • 308 Thanks
    MissTasmanian
    Thanks, I'll try the consumer line again as they were mistaken in telling me that legislation hadn't been brought in yet when it has.
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 13th Nov 17, 12:31 PM
    • 2,026 Posts
    • 1,184 Thanks
    Ian011
    The premium rate 0870 number now plays an announcement...

"This number has changed to comply with the Consumer Contracts Regulations 2013, Part 4. Please hang up and re-dial 0330 808 5057."

Now they have clearly acknowledged the regulations, anyone who has called the premium rate 0870 number at any time since 13 June 2014 should contact them for a refund of the call charges.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 13th Nov 17, 6:30 PM
    • 2,626 Posts
    • 4,145 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    One wonders whether the friend who gave you the card had already been through all this and discovered it was worthless.
    • offcumden
    • By offcumden 10th Mar 18, 8:46 AM
    • 97 Posts
    • 187 Thanks
    offcumden
    GoSpendit Phishing
    We were given a £50 card as a Golden Wedding Gift.
    The Card was valid from 11/12 to 10/19 although purchased in

M&S would not accept it at Christmas 2016 tried to use it in the local Pub this Christmas, no way.!

Receipt showed it was purchased in a London Tesco store so this Christmas took it to the local Tesco Store eventually got them to accept it spent £25.
    Returned a couple of days later was told there was only£15 credit left.
    Apparently there is an annual charge for not using it ???

Now I've been offered a full£50 Refund by a nice gentleman in
    America if I could let him know which bank to sent it to.
    He has already tried to make contact three times .
    Would the Police be interested in his phone number?

I
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 10th Mar 18, 9:05 AM
    • 31,929 Posts
    • 20,106 Thanks
    DCFC79
    We were given a £50 card as a Golden Wedding Gift.
    The Card was valid from 11/12 to 10/19 although purchased in

M&S would not accept it at Christmas 2016 tried to use it in the local Pub this Christmas, no way.!

Receipt showed it was purchased in a London Tesco store so this Christmas took it to the local Tesco Store eventually got them to accept it spent £25.
    Returned a couple of days later was told there was only£15 credit left.
    Apparently there is an annual charge for not using it ???

Now I've been offered a full£50 Refund by a nice gentleman in
    America if I could let him know which bank to sent it to.
    He has already tried to make contact three times .
    Would the Police be interested in his phone number?

I
    Originally posted by offcumden
    How did the nice gentlemen get your number ?

Is the guy in America ?

If he is then not much point in giving his number to the police ?

I take it you have checked his number is amaerican bssed one ?
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

595Posts Today

5,741Users online

Martin's Twitter