Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jonamora
    • By Jonamora 24th Jan 17, 5:11 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jonamora
    Electric cars
    • 24th Jan 17, 5:11 PM
    Electric cars 24th Jan 17 at 5:11 PM
    Just wanted people's opinions on buying an electric car?

Before long all cars will be electric and therfore is it best to sell petrol car at full value and invest in electric car.

I don't want to start a new finance deals for 4 years and be complete but then left with and cat nobody wants or has resale value because all are electric.....thoughts

Jonathan
Page 58
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 1st Mar 18, 8:20 PM
    • 13,946 Posts
    • 18,352 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Hi

Apparently that's because of nothing other than the effect on range and nothing to do with a physical inability to tow or any other technical reason ... according to Jaguar's Director of Design (Ian Callum) that is, so I expect he'd have a better clue than most! ...

HTH
    Z
    Originally posted by zeupater
    Yes. I saw his tweet...

It looks like towing drastically reduces the range of current EVs...

Source
    Last edited by Gloomendoom; 01-03-2018 at 8:23 PM.
    “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
    • zeupater
    • By zeupater 1st Mar 18, 8:45 PM
    • 4,140 Posts
    • 5,359 Thanks
    zeupater
    Yes. I saw his tweet...

It looks like towing drastically reduces the range of current EVs...

Source
    Originally posted by Gloomendoom
    Hi

So about a 40%(ish) reduction in range on the Tesla X example, not with the typical 'trip-to-the-skip' trailer though, they all look like decent size trailers - but you can understand why the manufacturers are steering clear of EV towing at the moment ...

Maybe, as battery costs fall, there'll be solutions involving battery capacity extension within the towed load - something like a caravan with it's own rechargeable power-source which can assist with range when being towed and trickle recharged when on site ....

HTH
    Z
    "We are what we repeatedly do, excellence then is not an act, but a habit. " ...... Aristotle
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 2nd Mar 18, 8:02 AM
    • 7,226 Posts
    • 6,498 Thanks
    Herzlos
    Nice.

Too pricey for me though... and you still can't tow with it.
    I might sacrifice towing to get one of these, once they hit about £15k.
    Can always keep something else for a workshorse
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 2nd Mar 18, 8:24 AM
    • 6,870 Posts
    • 11,115 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Maybe, as battery costs fall, there'll be solutions involving battery capacity extension within the towed load - something like a caravan with it's own rechargeable power-source which can assist with range when being towed and trickle recharged when on site ....

HTH
    Z
    Or, and just throwing this out there, folk could go on a camping tour of UK charging locations?
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 2nd Mar 18, 8:28 AM
    • 2,923 Posts
    • 1,860 Thanks
    Car 54
    Rather than looking for a solution to the towing problem, perhaps we should simply rejoice at the prospect of the demise of the caravan.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 2nd Mar 18, 9:50 AM
    • 13,946 Posts
    • 18,352 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Or, and just throwing this out there, folk could go on a camping tour of UK charging locations?
    Originally posted by Martyn1981
    Just a thought. Can you actually get a car and a caravan close to a charging point without unhitching, blocking other chargers or the road?
    “Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.” - Mark Twain
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 2nd Mar 18, 9:53 AM
    • 13,946 Posts
    • 18,352 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I might sacrifice towing to get one of these, once they hit about £15k.
    Can always keep something else for a workshorse
    Originally posted by Herzlos
    Given the range it has solo, I don't know why they don't just approve it for towing. We can work round a 40% reduction of near 300 miles but we can't do anything about type approval.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 2nd Mar 18, 11:27 AM
    • 6,870 Posts
    • 11,115 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Just a thought. Can you actually get a car and a caravan close to a charging point without unhitching, blocking other chargers or the road?
    Personally?

Chuck me the keys and I'll try to channel my inner Russ Swift.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • Andy L
    • By Andy L 2nd Mar 18, 12:59 PM
    • 8,852 Posts
    • 7,293 Thanks
    Andy L

HTH
    Z
    or tow something like this perhaps
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 2nd Mar 18, 2:44 PM
    • 7,226 Posts
    • 6,498 Thanks
    Herzlos
    I genuinely think there will be some market for range extending trailers, at least within the motorway network (i.e. collect battery trailer of batteries from services A, drop off at services B), assuming the total range is better than not towing. They'd also be great for vehicles running out of juice on the network - recovery van charges them from trailer, or lets them take trailer to next services. Potentially saves the recovery vehicle waiting with you whilst you charge.

Rather than looking for a solution to the towing problem, perhaps we should simply rejoice at the prospect of the demise of the caravan.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    Nothing wrong with caravans, but there are plenty of thing that you can tow that aren't caravans. Most can be replaced with trucks or vans though.

Nope, and a lot of services have one-way systems that take you back onto the carriageway, so dropping the trailer in the trailer section before going to charge may be impossible.

Won't be long until there are some options for charging from the trailer parking.
    • Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 2nd Mar 18, 3:05 PM
    • 13,946 Posts
    • 18,352 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    I genuinely think there will be some market for range extending trailers, at least within the motorway network (i.e. collect battery trailer of batteries from services A, drop off at services B), assuming the total range is better than not towing. They'd also be great for vehicles running out of juice on the network - recovery van charges them from trailer, or lets them take trailer to next services. Potentially saves the recovery vehicle waiting with you whilst you charge.
    I know they have been considered by land rover for extending EV use into remote areas. Not a lot of help unless manufacturers start to approve EVs for towing and let customers worry about the reduction in range.

Unfortunately, unless you are Billy Smart, towing a trailer with a trailer/caravan isn't really a practical proposition for most. Although this chap seems to have it licked. Two trailers and a Land Rover in tow...

Last edited by Gloomendoom; 02-03-2018 at 3:09 PM. Reason: Typo
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 2nd Mar 18, 3:16 PM
    • 2,843 Posts
    • 2,058 Thanks
    Tarambor
    I genuinely think there will be some market for range extending trailers
    Most people would need to take a driving test to tow them. Basically anyone who took a driving test after 1997 who doesn't drive an artic would need to take a Category E test.
    • Herzlos
    • By Herzlos 2nd Mar 18, 3:26 PM
    • 7,226 Posts
    • 6,498 Thanks
    Herzlos
    Yeah there would possibly be some changes required to regulations (such as allowing an exemption for battery trailers on motorways only, or an exemption for emergency use).

It changed again in 2015 (IIRC) where you can tow anything as long as the total actual weight is under 3500kg, so a 1000-1500kg trailer on most normal sized cars would be allowed.
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 2nd Mar 18, 8:33 PM
    • 26,945 Posts
    • 10,847 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    People who passed their driving test after 1997 can still tow, but they
    are limited to a gross trainweight of 3500kg.

And its the car and trailers gross weights that count. Not the kerb or unladen weight.

Cars gross laden weight 2200, then it can tow a trailer with a gross laden weight upto 1300kg.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 2nd Mar 18, 8:46 PM
    • 9,394 Posts
    • 10,378 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    Battery trailers are never going to happen. Too heavy too expensive.
    And pointless, by the time they would be affordable you'd have a car with 400-500 miles range so what would be the point ?
    • docmatt
    • By docmatt 3rd Mar 18, 10:51 AM
    • 870 Posts
    • 448 Thanks
    docmatt
    Originally posted by Car 54
    Indeed.

Until Musk invents the Tesla Caravan
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 8th Mar 18, 10:00 AM
    • 6,870 Posts
    • 11,115 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Just to say that the truck, which we've been unreliably informed, doesn't really exist, is now about to start making deliveries.

So expect lots of footage of the prototypes out and about in the wild.

Tesla’s new electric Semis make their first cargo deliveries

Tesla is about to make its first delivery with its all-electric Semi

A Tesla battery truck, delivering Tesla batteries for Tesla battery cars ..... nice little circle that.

• Gloomendoom
    • By Gloomendoom 8th Mar 18, 11:01 AM
    • 13,946 Posts
    • 18,352 Thanks
    Gloomendoom
    Just to say that the truck, which we've been unreliably informed, doesn't really exist, is now about to start making deliveries.
    Originally posted by Martyn1981

I think I may have found an answer to my range and towing ability problem.

The $150k price tag even looks like good value when compared to that of a Tesla passenger car.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 8th Mar 18, 3:58 PM
    • 6,870 Posts
    • 11,115 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    I think I may have found an answer to my range and towing ability problem.

The $150k price tag even looks like good value when compared to that of a Tesla passenger car.
    Funnily enough I've thought similar. Good value, great range, sports car like performance, and you could run your house of it, actually, you could probably run a medium sized business off of it.

If they really can deliver the 300 mile range model for that price and the specs promised (Elon has recently suggested they are going to beat the specs), then it's a diesel killer, especially in Europe.

• silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 8th Mar 18, 5:37 PM
    • 1,820 Posts
    • 2,384 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    But denial of the very real drawbacks,
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    Eh..? I've already said that they don't yet work for me as have others on here. I'm sure some people have been disappointed after range claims from car sales people, but 'twas ever thus. People are examining the situation closely and being very realistic in my view of the situation.

At the moment, if you go on the EV boards you'll find that for popular models there are very long waiting lists, which doesn't help those of us looking for S/H cars.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

440Posts Today

5,799Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin