Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jonamora
    • By Jonamora 24th Jan 17, 5:11 PM
    • 1Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Jonamora
    Electric cars
    • 24th Jan 17, 5:11 PM
    Electric cars 24th Jan 17 at 5:11 PM
    Just wanted people's opinions on buying an electric car?

Before long all cars will be electric and therfore is it best to sell petrol car at full value and invest in electric car.

I don't want to start a new finance deals for 4 years and be complete but then left with and cat nobody wants or has resale value because all are electric.....thoughts

Jonathan
Page 45
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 2nd Feb 18, 1:28 PM
    • 17,158 Posts
    • 15,469 Thanks
    AdrianC
    From personal experience the Mitsubishi Outlander Phev is a lovely car to drive, shame the literature and salesman aren't honest.
    The car gets about 16-20 miles on a single charge and the petrol engine at most gives an average of 32mpg.
    I leased this based on the theory that you got over 80mpg combined (the suggestion is 120mpg) and 51mpg on petrol alone.
    As I use the car for long distance trips for work I get about 32mpg and I can only claim 14p per mile so a 300 mile trip costs £51.00 in fuel but I can only claim £42.00.
    Mitsubishi mis-sold the car to me but there appears nothing I can do to get out of a very expensive 5 year lease.
    My advice is unless you only do 20 mile trips and can plug in for several hours, then don't buy one.
    Originally posted by JPR5
    You might be forgetting one detail. As with every new car, regardless of power source, it would actually be illegal for any economy/range figures to be used in any sales or marketing except for the official ones, derived from the standardised and tightly-defined lab test cycle.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 2nd Feb 18, 4:16 PM
    • 6,776 Posts
    • 10,916 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    "Advert" is not the only word beginning with "A". "Analogy" does, too.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    And A troll.
    Mart. Cardiff. 5.58 kWp PV systems (3.58 ESE & 2.0 WNW)

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 3rd Feb 18, 1:00 PM
    • 6,776 Posts
    • 10,916 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Some nice news for the UK.

50-Fold Increase In Electric Motor Manufacturer YASA’s Production Capacity (UK)

The UK-based electric motor manufacturer YASA will be increasing its production capacity 50-fold over the coming months. That is, it will be increasing from a production capacity of 2,000 units a year to 100,000 units a year. The increase is in anticipation of a surging market for electric vehicles in coming years, company execs have revealed.

For general PV advice please see the PV FAQ thread on the Green & Ethical Board.
    • NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 4th Feb 18, 8:23 AM
    • 2,858 Posts
    • 1,145 Thanks
    NigeWick
    Some nice news for the UK
    Originally posted by Martyn1981
    Nissan state they've had 14,000 orders for the 2018 Leaf in Europe since they opened the books on it in October. A bit like Tesla, that's sight unseen and no test vehicles to drive.

I ordered one as it will be an improvement on my current 30kWh model.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    • JPR5
    • By JPR5 8th Feb 18, 2:30 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JPR5
    As a company car under 2ltr the relief allowable is 14p per mile, over 2ltr is 22p per mile.
    Thanks
    • JPR5
    • By JPR5 8th Feb 18, 2:32 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JPR5
    Official figures are unachievable so why publish utter rubbish, if I could get half the stated average I would be happy!
    • JPR5
    • By JPR5 8th Feb 18, 2:40 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    JPR5
    I leased the car based on 19k miles per year, it doesn't take a genius to work out that on this mileage I'm not doing local jaunts to the office, I work from home as well!
    I still say this was mis-sold, the facts don't lie, the advice from Mitsubishi is don't use anything electrical, no heating, no air con, don't do anything that can use up power, if you are cold put the steering wheel heater on and warm the seat, pre heat the car before you un plug, apply the regenerative braking, (this makes little difference), don't accelerate hard, basically aim for down hill journeys with the wind behind you and pray!
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 8th Feb 18, 2:51 PM
    • 17,158 Posts
    • 15,469 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Official figures are unachievable so why publish utter rubbish, if I could get half the stated average I would be happy!
    One of the biggest factors is driving style. A lead-footed incompetent will use much more fuel in the same car on the same route as somebody driving more smoothly.

But there is a change from the NEDC fuel and emissions test cycle to a "more representative" WLTP cycle - all new type-approvals from last September need to have gone through it, and all new cars registered after next September need to. It's aimed more at the emissions side - the Euro6 thresholds aren't changing, but they different testing will weed some of the tighter passes out. In doing so, the fuel figures can only become more representative, too.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 9th Feb 18, 11:33 AM
    • 6,776 Posts
    • 10,916 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    I leased the car based on 19k miles per year, it doesn't take a genius to work out that on this mileage I'm not doing local jaunts to the office,
    Genuine question, but for long drives, did you really expect to do better than 32mpg with such a big vehicle?

• NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 9th Feb 18, 11:43 AM
    • 2,858 Posts
    • 1,145 Thanks
    NigeWick
    But there is a change from the NEDC fuel and emissions test cycle to a "more representative" WLTP cycle
    I still reckon the USA EPA is most representative of real world driving. They give the 2018 40kWh Nissan Leaf 151 miles. Even at that, I'm fairly sure one would not get such a high number from full charge to empty at 70 mph on a motorway. That said, the old NEDC is fairly accurate if one drives around town at 30mph or below on a summer's day with no air conditioning on.
    The mind of the bigot is like the pupil of the eye; the more light you pour upon it, the more it will contract.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 10th Feb 18, 7:49 AM
    • 6,776 Posts
    • 10,916 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    The new Leaf is getting some good reviews, including a low (projected) cost of ownership:-

Kelly Blue Book Says Nissan LEAF Has Lowest 5 Year Cost Of Ownership

How did the folks at KBB decide a car that has only been available for 5 days (5 weeks in the US) will have such a low cost of ownership? Let’s dig into that a bit. The operative word in this instance is “projected.” Kelly Blue Book has taken out its crystal ball and “projected” how much it will cost to own a LEAF. Your mileage may vary. See dealer for details.

The calculus includes such factors as expected depreciation, fuel costs (electricity, in this case), finance charges, and insurance premiums, together with maintenance expenses, repair costs, and state and local fees. Every new car buyer should do the same thing before signing on the dotted line, but of course most don’t. They only want to know what their monthly payment will be and whether they can take the car home today.

• NigeWick
    • By NigeWick 10th Feb 18, 11:29 AM
    • 2,858 Posts
    • 1,145 Thanks
    NigeWick
    The new Leaf is getting some good reviews,
    Originally posted by Martyn1981
    But, they've done away with the specs holder in the roof lining which I find really convenient. Should get mine in four to five weeks.
    Oliver Wendell Holmes
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 11th Feb 18, 3:06 AM
    • 2,665 Posts
    • 1,911 Thanks
    Tarambor
    Official figures are unachievable
    I exceed those of my Mondeo even though its now on 127k, nearly 128k miles. I've seen as high as 70MPG on a long motorway run from Yorkshire to France even with two adults, two kids and a boot of luggage.

If you know how to drive economically they're fairly easy to hit.
    • David Aston
    • By David Aston 11th Feb 18, 12:43 PM
    • 792 Posts
    • 533 Thanks
    David Aston
    A bit of clarification please guys. I had assumed that a hybrid used the small ice to keep the battery charged. Say, on a trip up the motorway, periodically starting up when needed. However, is it the case that the first 25 miles might be electric, but the remainder would use the ice. Perhaps the ice would also be charging the battery during the journey?
    • uknick
    • By uknick 11th Feb 18, 2:27 PM
    • 758 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    uknick
    A bit of clarification please guys. I had assumed that a hybrid used the small ice to keep the battery charged. Say, on a trip up the motorway, periodically starting up when needed. However, is it the case that the first 25 miles might be electric, but the remainder would use the ice. Perhaps the ice would also be charging the battery during the journey?
    Originally posted by David Aston
    If you're referring to a hybrid such as a Prius, then no the petrol engine does not keep the batteries charged so you can run on only electric. So, as you say you might get about 25 miles on pure electric and then have to use the ICE to power the car until you can recharge the batteries at a charging point. There will be some recharging of the batteries from the regeneration system but I don't think that's enough to give enough power to retain charge to drive in electric only mode.

I believe the only car currently available in the UK which has an ICE to keep charging the batteries is the BMW i3 with range extender (REX). This only runs on electric power. The range extender is a little petrol engine which acts as a generator to maintain the charge in the batteries when they fall to a certain level.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 11th Feb 18, 3:38 PM
    • 17,158 Posts
    • 15,469 Thanks
    AdrianC
    If you're referring to a hybrid such as a Prius, then no the petrol engine does not keep the batteries charged so you can run on only electric.
    Originally posted by uknick
    Yes, it does.

The internal combustion engine both powers the car's motion and charges the battery. The electric-only range is, however, very short, and the performance is very limited. Some hybrids are now available as plug-in hybrids, with larger batteries and greater performance, but they are still primarily internal combustion vehicles with limited electric-only operation.

The i3 is primarily electric - the REx version's electric motor doesn't directly provide motion, only charging.
    • uknick
    • By uknick 11th Feb 18, 3:51 PM
    • 758 Posts
    • 344 Thanks
    uknick
    Adrian, from what you say about the ICE charging the batteries, does this mean you can drive a hybrid in electric only mode for more than 20 or 30 miles?
    • David Aston
    • By David Aston 11th Feb 18, 3:58 PM
    • 792 Posts
    • 533 Thanks
    David Aston
    Thanks guys. The BMW does seem to be a heck of a lot cheaper than a Tesla. 37 grand is still a lot of money.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 11th Feb 18, 4:43 PM
    • 17,158 Posts
    • 15,469 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Adrian, from what you say about the ICE charging the batteries, does this mean you can drive a hybrid in electric only mode for more than 20 or 30 miles?
    Originally posted by uknick
    Depends entirely on the battery capacity, of course.

A non-plugin Prius has a 6.5kWh battery. A plugin Prius has a 25kWh battery. Toyota claim 39 mile range from the plugin. They make no claims on the range from the non-plugin, but assuming it consumes power at the same rate, that'd be about 10 miles range at most.
    • Martyn1981
    • By Martyn1981 12th Feb 18, 11:54 AM
    • 6,776 Posts
    • 10,916 Thanks
    Martyn1981
    Depends entirely on the battery capacity, of course.

A non-plugin Prius has a 6.5kWh battery. A plugin Prius has a 25kWh battery. Toyota claim 39 mile range from the plugin. They make no claims on the range from the non-plugin, but assuming it consumes power at the same rate, that'd be about 10 miles range at most.
    Do you have a link for those figures? I thought the plug-in was about 9kWh. I don't know what the current non plug in is, but I recall it used to be about 1.3kWh.

If Toyota are only getting 39 miles from a 25kWh batt, then they need to have a chat with Nissan, who get far far more.

I'm also not sure that the Prius engine charges the battery in a comparative way to a range extender - instead I believe it adds some charge to the batt if in high gear and driving steadily in the torque sweet spot ..... plus of course brake re-gen.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,757Posts Today

8,292Users online

Martin's Twitter