Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • HitAndMiss
    • By HitAndMiss 24th Jan 17, 10:48 AM
    • 57Posts
    • 13Thanks
    HitAndMiss
    0 WOW
    How Far in advance can I renew my passport
    • 24th Jan 17, 10:48 AM
    0 WOW
    How Far in advance can I renew my passport 24th Jan 17 at 10:48 AM
    My passport expires in mid October 2017. How far in advance can I renew it. If I use the Post office service costing around £82 how long does it take to receive the new passport.
Page 1
    • DomRavioli
    • By DomRavioli 24th Jan 17, 11:06 AM
    • 2,996 Posts
    • 5,129 Thanks
    DomRavioli
    • 24th Jan 17, 11:06 AM
    • 24th Jan 17, 11:06 AM
    My passport expires in mid October 2017. How far in advance can I renew it. Max 9 months can be added onto a new passport. https://www.gov.uk/renew-adult-passport/renew has the details and its the second result on google.

If I use the Post office service costing around £82 how long does it take to receive the new passport. How long is a piece of string?! Each passport application/renewal is unique and as such it could be two weeks or six months. Best to give them a call for actual information regarding your specific renewal.
    Originally posted by HitAndMiss
    See above, and please use google.
    • Murphy_The_Cat
    • By Murphy_The_Cat 24th Jan 17, 11:08 AM
    • 19,596 Posts
    • 25,560 Thanks
    Murphy_The_Cat
    • 24th Jan 17, 11:08 AM
    • 24th Jan 17, 11:08 AM
    Here you go

• eDicky
    • By eDicky 24th Jan 17, 12:19 PM
    • 4,432 Posts
    • 2,593 Thanks
    eDicky
    • 24th Jan 17, 12:19 PM
    • 24th Jan 17, 12:19 PM
    I think you can renew any time, for example if it becomes completely full, but you will not get more than the additional nine months prior to its expiry date by applying nine months in advance.

Processing time is according to each particular case and how busy they are, not on whether you use the Post Office service or not.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 24th Jan 17, 1:22 PM
    • 22,397 Posts
    • 18,412 Thanks
    agrinnall
    • 24th Jan 17, 1:22 PM
    • 24th Jan 17, 1:22 PM
    I'm not sure yet how long it will take to get the new passport but last week I had a letter from them rejecting my photos and asking me to get new ones 4 days after posting the application.

Edit: Photos posted on Saturday (21st), got a text from the Passport Office today to say that my passport has been renewed and will be with me in the next few days.
    Last edited by agrinnall; 26-01-2017 at 11:28 AM. Reason: More info
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 24th Jan 17, 6:23 PM
    • 6,176 Posts
    • 4,665 Thanks
    sheramber
    • 24th Jan 17, 6:23 PM
    • 24th Jan 17, 6:23 PM
    We used the Post Office and our new passports arrived in under week.

Apply outwith the main holiday dates for a quicker turn around.
    • photome
    • By photome 24th Jan 17, 6:59 PM
    • 13,939 Posts
    • 9,467 Thanks
    photome
    • 24th Jan 17, 6:59 PM
    • 24th Jan 17, 6:59 PM
    Using the post office will not speed up your application, it will just cost you more
    • Shelldean
    • By Shelldean 24th Jan 17, 7:43 PM
    • 2,069 Posts
    • 1,314 Thanks
    Shelldean
    • 24th Jan 17, 7:43 PM
    • 24th Jan 17, 7:43 PM
    Didn't use passport check and send via post office. Posted last Wednesday and new passport rec'd today
    • Dean'sDilemma
    • By Dean'sDilemma 25th Jan 17, 4:49 PM
    • 25 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Dean'sDilemma
    • 25th Jan 17, 4:49 PM
    • 25th Jan 17, 4:49 PM
    I thought you could only renew 6 months in advance if you wanted the finish date to coincide with that on your passport i.e. 10 years from your current expiry date.If you wanted to renew before does not the start date commence from the date it is received not the expiry date.Have I got that wrong!!!. It is in my opinion always a good idea to pay the extra at the post office as they will verify photographs are OK. If possible avoid trying to renew between June and September as it is peak season and will take longer.
    • MallyGirl
    • By MallyGirl 25th Jan 17, 5:03 PM
    • 3,588 Posts
    • 8,937 Thanks
    MallyGirl
    My DD's passport was due to expire in May but she needed 6 months clear on it for our next destination. We sent it using the 'check and send' process on 7th Jan and it came back on 16th Jan, new expiry date is in June.
    • Mischiefmanaged
    • By Mischiefmanaged 25th Jan 17, 9:31 PM
    • 20 Posts
    • 209 Thanks
    Mischiefmanaged
    Mine runs out in October 17. I re newed mine about 3 weeks ago. I used the online service. I also had to change my name as I got married 6 years ago but didn't change my passport cos I was too tight to lose the 6 years I had left. I answered the questions online. I was instructed to print off the declaration and sign and date. I had to send this along with 2 new photos, that didn't need countersigning because my appearance hadn't really changed, my old passport and my marriage certificate. I paid online. I sent in on a Monday afternoon and received it back in my new name by Thursday.
    • agrinnall
    • By agrinnall 26th Jan 17, 8:27 AM
    • 22,397 Posts
    • 18,412 Thanks
    agrinnall
    I thought you could only renew 6 months in advance if you wanted the finish date to coincide with that on your passport i.e. 10 years from your current expiry date.If you wanted to renew before does not the start date commence from the date it is received not the expiry date.Have I got that wrong!!!.
    Originally posted by Dean'sDilemma
    Yes. Murphy's link in post #3 will do the search for you, and this is the relevant paragraph from the gov.uk renewal page:

"You can renew your passport at any time. When you renew your passport, time left on your existing passport is added to your new one, up to a maximum of 9 months."
    • Wayne's Woes
    • By Wayne's Woes 28th Jan 17, 4:30 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Wayne's Woes
    I renewed my passport just over 6 months prior to expiry through the Post office service. My new passport took just under 4 weeks to arrive. This was longer than I expected, but fortunately it did not cause me any inconvenience as I had no plans to go away until April.
    • Me4
    • By Me4 12th Sep 18, 8:27 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Me4
    Hi,

Please be aware that, after following the advice above, I received my new passport with a validity of 10 years - i.e. without the 5 months that were left on my old passport added. When querying this with the Passport Service, I was told the following:

From the 10th September HMPO will no longer be adding additional validity to any of their passports and all passports issued from this date will default to a maximum 10 years validity for adult applications and 5 years validity for child applications. International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO) best practice recommends that the passport is valid for up to 10 years for adults, UK passports align with ICAO best practice.

Is this correct? There's nothing on the website that mentions this change.

Me4
    • elsien
    • By elsien 12th Sep 18, 8:29 AM
    • 18,812 Posts
    • 47,715 Thanks
    elsien
    It apparently did change on 10 September. See here. The info on the gov.uk page has been changed to remove the bit about extra months being added on.

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5893848&highlight=
    Last edited by elsien; 12-09-2018 at 8:31 AM.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
    • DonnaElmore
    • By DonnaElmore 16th Apr 19, 4:34 AM
    • 5 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    DonnaElmore
    Hi! From what I’ve heard and read before, one can renew their passport even if it still has 9 months validity on it. That remaining validity can then be added to the new one. In my case, I renewed mine with the help of a passport renewal service provider when I only have 6 months left in it. Cause many countries these days require visitors to have at least 6 months left on their passport, so it’s best to renew your passport as early as possible to avoid any hassle on your trip.
    • photome
    • By photome 16th Apr 19, 6:20 AM
    • 13,939 Posts
    • 9,467 Thanks
    photome
    Hi! From what Iíve heard and read before, one can renew their passport even if it still has 9 months validity on it. That remaining validity can then be added to the new one. In my case, I renewed mine with the help of a passport renewal service provider when I only have 6 months left in it. Cause many countries these days require visitors to have at least 6 months left on their passport, so itís best to renew your passport as early as possible to avoid any hassle on your trip.
    Originally posted by DonnaElmore

have you read the thread?

you cannot do what you are suggesting and there is no need to use a service provider
    • bradders1983
    • By bradders1983 16th Apr 19, 7:02 AM
    • 375 Posts
    • 246 Thanks
    bradders1983
    As thread bumps go, that was a bit of a fail.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 16th Apr 19, 7:26 AM
    • 22,137 Posts
    • 59,752 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Well, Donna's post would have been correct at the time the thread was started but now...Elsien's post immediately above Donna's reflects the current situation.
    • soolin
    • By soolin 16th Apr 19, 8:17 AM
    • 61,890 Posts
    • 44,360 Thanks
    soolin
    This is the danger of leaving old threads open- the information at the time of posting in 2017 is now wrong as things changed in late 2018!
    I'm the Board Guide for the Ebay Board , Charities Board , Dosh & Disability , Up Your Income and the Local MoneySaving-England board which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. However, do remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with this). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    New to Forum? Guide
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

161Posts Today

985Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin