Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Andrew
      Verified User verified user
    • By MSE Andrew Verified User verified user 23rd Jan 17, 11:52 AM
    • 95Posts
    • 27Thanks
    MSE Andrew
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Tonik
    • 23rd Jan 17, 11:52 AM
    Add your feedback on energy supplier Tonik 23rd Jan 17 at 11:52 AM
    This is a feedback thread on energy supplier

Tonik

Please share your experience with other MoneySavers. Click reply to take part
    • Did your switch go smoothly?
    • Have you had problems since?
    • Is it easy to contact?
    The feedback comes as part of the

Click reply below to discuss. If you haven’t already, join the forum to reply.
    Last edited by MSE Andrea; 06-09-2017 at 11:02 AM.
Page 4
    • AmateurMS
    • By AmateurMS 30th Apr 18, 7:47 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    AmateurMS
    Hi. Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences about Tonik. I look forward to signing up with them in coming days. Can someone explain how a referral code works? Also wouldn't mind receiving one, if possible. Appreciate.
    • Blackdog
    • By Blackdog 2nd May 18, 9:16 AM
    • 449 Posts
    • 305 Thanks
    Blackdog
    Hi. Thanks to everyone for sharing their experiences about Tonik. I look forward to signing up with them in coming days. Can someone explain how a referral code works? Also wouldn't mind receiving one, if possible. Appreciate.
    Originally posted by AmateurMS
    Tonik have a 'refer a friend' scheme where you can send a link to a friend to click on or they can use your name when they sign up and both of you get a 20 Amazon voucher. Even if you have already signed up with Tonik you can email them with a name and email address of an existing customer and they will still honour the referral fee for both parties. Seeing as Tonik are one of the cheapest suppliers at the moment this is a great bonus.
    • Dark Eyes
    • By Dark Eyes 2nd May 18, 7:46 PM
    • 5 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Dark Eyes
    About to switch to Tonik, does anybody have a 'refer a friend' link that want to share with me for the Amazon voucher, if so, please DM me.
    • AmateurMS
    • By AmateurMS 2nd May 18, 10:31 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    AmateurMS
    Hi. Just signed up to Tonik through referral link courtesy of BlackDog above. Nice one! Hoping for a smooth switch & for the same kind of service. Just a heads up to people looking for referrals. I myself was looking in the wrong place Look here, people offering them left & right!

forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5694919

All the very best.
    • lloydyyy
    • By lloydyyy 3rd May 18, 11:47 AM
    • 360 Posts
    • 58 Thanks
    lloydyyy
    I'm thinking of joining Tonik. If I use BlackDog's link; for the gift card to be received - do I then need to sign up to Tonik directly via their website?
    • ColinB
    • By ColinB 8th May 18, 9:49 AM
    • 55 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    ColinB
    Start-up Problems
    I switched to Tonik at the end of March. It hasn't been entirely seamless, so - for the benefit of others - my experience has been as follows.

On the plus side, the gas & electricity has continued to flow and two DDs for the correct amount have been taken on the dates expected, so that's all good.

On the minus side, there have been a couple of anomalies:

1. I looked into my online account just before the take-on-supply date, and was surprised to see the "Live Balance" entry showing a small debit (0.44) before they'd even started supplying me. The amount is trivial but it shouldn't be there, so I asked about it. Tonik's response was "I can confirm to you that this is a system glitch that will not actually bill you for that 0.44. This is something that the system generates to create a balance. When we take the first payment from yourself you will not be billed for that 0.44 on the account and this will disappear." I'm slightly nervous about a billing system that appears to require imaginary entries and which is going to be very difficult to check for accuracy later if I eventually get a statement.

2. After a full monthly cycle of two DDs being taken, I have still not had a request for meter reads (apart from the initial one for the switch), nor have I received a statement. Another request to Tonik elicited the information that apparently one of my initial meter reads had not been validated (by a 3rd party, the "data collector") and this was blocking the process. Despite the timescale for this validation having been exceeded, Tonik did not seem to have noticed and it was only my message that reminded them that escalation was needed. I realise this isn't necessarily an issue with Tonik, but I'm slightly disappointed that they didn't spot that things were not going smoothly so they hadn't escalated or informed me. I await developments.

So it's not been entirely friction-free, and there are still some issues to resolve. Switching is not a hands-off process, you need to keep an eye on what's going on !
    • grumpycrab
    • By grumpycrab 8th May 18, 11:20 AM
    • 3,815 Posts
    • 1,837 Thanks
    grumpycrab
    Switching is not a hands-off process
    Originally posted by ColinB
    Similar story here. Certainly appears to be an issue with smaller providers, but doesn't mean that big suppliers don't make mistakes either. The main good thing about Toniq is that their online chat works. There's always somebody there (assuming they haven't taken too many customers on in the last couple of months).
    I had to shout (a bit) to get my gas reading accepted (was too high for them to accept! -because Iresa had way underestimated my gas AND ignored my reads). After initially saying they couldn't accept my meter read via the chat, I shouted (a little) and they took it...so the system can be bent.
    If you put your general location in your Profile, somebody here may be able to come and help you.
    • steveyme
    • By steveyme 8th May 18, 12:05 PM
    • 59 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    steveyme
    My experience exactly as per post#6. My electricity has moved to Tonik while my gas has remained with my old supplier (First Utility). For the last 4 months I have been paying the full amount to of combined energy to BOTH companies. Clearly this happens often - the telephone rep guessed what had happened immediately and said this situation is frequent, with the gas getting 'stuck' in transfer.

Tonik's team have been casual, but at least talkative - I have literally been stonewalled by First Utility. Their website contains absolutely no method of contact - only a chatbot which refers you an FAQ.
    • PennineAcute
    • By PennineAcute 8th May 18, 8:14 PM
    • 223 Posts
    • 101 Thanks
    PennineAcute
    My experience exactly as per post#6. My electricity has moved to Tonik while my gas has remained with my old supplier (First Utility). For the last 4 months I have been paying the full amount to of combined energy to BOTH companies. Clearly this happens often - the telephone rep guessed what had happened immediately and said this situation is frequent, with the gas getting 'stuck' in transfer.

Tonik's team have been casual, but at least talkative - I have literally been stonewalled by First Utility. Their website contains absolutely no method of contact - only a chatbot which refers you an FAQ.
    Originally posted by steveyme
    https://www.first-utility.com/help/More_Help_and_Advice/__ka0D0000000079iIAAfaq/How-can-I-contact-First-Utility
    • don9999
    • By don9999 9th May 18, 12:20 PM
    • 505 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    don9999
    Referral?
    Am planning to switch to Toniq.

Does anyone want to refer me? Please PM me.
    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary, and those who don't!
    • BigPiel
    • By BigPiel 10th May 18, 10:04 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    BigPiel
    Technical glitch during signup - I'm penalised
    I signed up to Tonik online, now 2.5 months later I discover the signup process hasn't worked and in the meantime I've been switched to a premium tarrif by my old provider (EDF). This failed sign-up process has cost me an additional 60 to EDF, not a lot, however one would consider as a gesture of goodwill that Tonik would offer a discount for their technical glitch - apparently not. I apprecaite technical issues occur and would have been happy to accept a token gesture, however small. It always amazes me when customer services don't want to engage with their customers.
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 10th May 18, 10:12 AM
    • 6,867 Posts
    • 4,419 Thanks
    Hengus
    I signed up to Tonik online, now 2.5 months later I discover the signup process hasn't worked and in the meantime I've been switched to a premium tarrif by my old provider (EDF). This failed sign-up process has cost me an additional 60 to EDF, not a lot, however one would consider as a gesture of goodwill that Tonik would offer a discount for their technical glitch - apparently not. I apprecaite technical issues occur and would have been happy to accept a token gesture, however small. It always amazes me when customer services don't want to engage with their customers.
    Originally posted by BigPiel
    Hi - welcome to the forum. When you say that the sign up process failed was this through a referral site? Did you receive a Welcome Pack outlining the tariff etc that you had signed up to? If Tonik is not offering compensation, it seems clear to me that it does not believe that its systems are at fault.
    • moglet76
    • By moglet76 14th May 18, 9:43 AM
    • 1 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    moglet76
    Anyone want to be a friend for me to refer? I'm about to switch from Eon to Tonik.
    • Strum88
    • By Strum88 14th May 18, 10:51 AM
    • 17 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    Strum88
    Im still in the process of switching to Tonik and it has not been a smooth process at all.

i started my switch on April 4th and am yet to complete. There were issues with my existing supplier blocking the gas switch for some reason so cant blame tonik for that, but after everything seemingly going through ok i was emailed to supply meter readings. I set up my account but then was unable to submit the readings, website stating my access was blocked. Ever since then i haven't been able to log in at all, and spoke to 3-4 different people ot try to get it resolved but still no joy.

I was contacted 2 weeks ago to tell me there was an issue with the set up of my account in general and theyd need to re set up the direct debit. Sorted this on the phone then shortly after i received 8 emails stating a direct debit had been set up so i had to get back on the phone to get these cancelled.

Email comms is pretty slow and poor, and i get the feeling whenever i call that the staff dont particularly care and have a bit of an attitude.

Hopefully i dont get any unexpected charges from my existing supplier!
    • elouise01582
    • By elouise01582 18th May 18, 11:37 PM
    • 13 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    elouise01582
    I'm switching from Sainsbury's Energy to Tonik - anyone want to refer me?
    • miniemma
    • By miniemma 19th May 18, 7:53 AM
    • 444 Posts
    • 222 Thanks
    miniemma
    I'm switching from Sainsbury's Energy to Tonik - anyone want to refer me?
    Originally posted by elouise01582
    @elouise01582

I have sent you a link by private message
    • LiGhTfasT
    • By LiGhTfasT 19th May 18, 4:33 PM
    • 134 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    LiGhTfasT
    Just signed up via the referral board, hope all goes well its my first time away from the big names.
    I've added my referral to the other thread if someone could continue the chain

https://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?p=74304782
    • soul1
    • By soul1 20th May 18, 2:08 PM
    • 90 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    soul1
    Hi everyone, nice to meet you all. Looking to join Tonik Energy next week. If any forum member has a referral link please for the 20.00 Amazon voucher then that would be great!

Kindest Regards
    • Browntoa
    • By Browntoa 20th May 18, 2:17 PM
    • 34,104 Posts
    • 40,237 Thanks
    Browntoa
    Post above yours has a link to the referral section thread, take your pick
    I'm the Board Guide of the Referrers ,Telephones, Pensions , Shop Don't drop ,over 50's , Boost your income and Discount Code boards which means I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum runnning smoothly .However, please remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
    • SafetyGnome
    • By SafetyGnome 20th May 18, 9:52 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    SafetyGnome
    Switched to Tonik from Bulb. Managed to get my monthly DD to 58 from 63. Before that I was with Octopus for 67 and before that I was SSE for about 100 a month. All thanks to MSE energy club.

Tonik are good. But aren't as good as Bulb who had an app. The app was brilliant to use and check your useage.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,775Posts Today

7,911Users online

Martin's Twitter