Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Rileybaby
    • By Rileybaby 20th Jan 17, 11:16 AM
    • 217Posts
    • 131Thanks
    Rileybaby
    Would you pay a daily rate?
    • 20th Jan 17, 11:16 AM
    Would you pay a daily rate? 20th Jan 17 at 11:16 AM
    Hi,

I'm currently looking at tradesmen for my house. I need a celing de-artexing, skimming and a false fire place removing & the wall skimming. The guy hasn't give me a price for the job but a price per day of 100. He's come recommend and apparently this is how he works. Does this sound like a reasonable daily rate?

He's also offered to hand the doors I need fir the same rate but told me he can do 3 a day I have 9 so 300 which sound okay I think! God this is hard lol
Page 1
    • Wookey
    • By Wookey 20th Jan 17, 11:23 AM
    • 811 Posts
    • 410 Thanks
    Wookey
    • 20th Jan 17, 11:23 AM
    • 20th Jan 17, 11:23 AM
    A 100 a day for a self employed tradesman doing general domestic jobs is about the going rate, you may well be able to get a non qualified "handyman" for less but that is down to you, if he is recommended and you have seen examples of his work nothing wrong with his rate, just check if he has adequate insurance in place.
    Norn Iron Club member No 353
    • phill99
    • By phill99 20th Jan 17, 11:25 AM
    • 8,395 Posts
    • 7,584 Thanks
    phill99
    • 20th Jan 17, 11:25 AM
    As a builder, don't do this. Day rates are the worst method of payment.

It means he can just hang the job out and a 200 job ends up costing you 500. If he is decent he will know how long the job will take and quantities of materials and give you a fixed price on the back of it.

Make sure you get a fixed price from him or you may as well give him a blank cheque.

And in terms of hanging doors as well, NO. get a carpenter in to do the job properly.

Sorry he sounds like a chancer.
    Eat vegetables and fear no creditors, rather than eat duck and hide.
    • Rileybaby
    • By Rileybaby 20th Jan 17, 11:25 AM
    • 217 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    Rileybaby
    Thanks Wookey, he is qualified and whilst I've not seen what he has done I've been assured by a friend that he is excellent. I guess I'm just worried about jobs taking longer than I expect!
    • phill99
    • By phill99 20th Jan 17, 11:28 AM
    • 8,395 Posts
    • 7,584 Thanks
    phill99
    • 20th Jan 17, 11:28 AM
    • 20th Jan 17, 11:28 AM
    A 100 a day for a self employed tradesman doing general domestic jobs is about the going rate.

Originally posted by Wookey

No it is not.

Plumber/ electrician/chippy 200 + /day
    Plasterer 150 - 180
    Decorator 140

Pay the going rate or your home will look like an explosion at B & Q
    • Rileybaby
    • By Rileybaby 20th Jan 17, 11:34 AM
    • 217 Posts
    • 131 Thanks
    Rileybaby
    • 20th Jan 17, 11:34 AM
    • 20th Jan 17, 11:34 AM
    Thanks Phill99. He is a plasterer & a joiner with over 20 years experience. He works for a firm but works for himself evenings & weekends which is why I think he charges 100 a day. I've given him a list of what I want he's coming back with samples & prices so we shall see I suppose.
    • phill99
    • By phill99 20th Jan 17, 11:36 AM
    • 8,395 Posts
    • 7,584 Thanks
    phill99
    • 20th Jan 17, 11:36 AM
    • 20th Jan 17, 11:36 AM
    So whose liability insurance is he working off then? Make sure he has his own.
    • Wookey
    • By Wookey 20th Jan 17, 11:56 AM
    • 811 Posts
    • 410 Thanks
    Wookey
    • 20th Jan 17, 11:56 AM
    • 20th Jan 17, 11:56 AM
    No it is not.

Plasterer 150 - 180
    Decorator 140

Originally posted by phill99
    That depends a lot on where you live, and if you are paying a firm or a sole trader in a busy or quiet area.
    Norn Iron Club member No 353
    • phill99
    • By phill99 20th Jan 17, 12:29 PM
    • 8,395 Posts
    • 7,584 Thanks
    phill99
    • 20th Jan 17, 12:29 PM
    • 20th Jan 17, 12:29 PM
    That depends a lot on where you live, and if you are paying a firm or a sole trader in a busy or quiet area.

No its doesn't. I sub-contract to 18 tradesmen. These are the rates that I am paying them. All are self employed. We work in the South East, not in London. When talking to family in the North East, I was surprised that the day rates were virtually the same.

Sorry but if you think you can employ a decent tradesman for 100 a day, then you are very much mistaken.
    • brightontraveller
    • By brightontraveller 20th Jan 17, 12:57 PM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    brightontraveller
    They can drag a job out yes if you let them but you simply need to ask “what are you doing today” if managed correctly you leave in morning come home in evening they have done what they said how is that a problem?

I would say there is less incentive to rush / bodge the work but that doesn’t go hand in hand with it costing more, taking longer or being cheaper?

Most that work for companies work for less for the employer whom charges the client more ? ( the luxury of having a guaranteed wage each week) so chances are the wage they wish from you will be lower than someone self employed or a company you weigh up the extra cost someone self employed would need to charge against the difference in day rate (plenty that work for companies that work hard so no guarantee they would be slower)

They will likely have a speed they work for there employer which you assume would make employer money is this speed really likely to change?

You also have the difference of paying a day rate but this only being paid on completion as opposed to day rate paid daily.

Its simple you get them to do a day and see what they do? At worse you’ve lost a hundred pound if they do absolutely nothing? At best you get the works done for half the price a self employed or company would do it.

From an employers point of view it annoys some as they perceive they are getting less profits as there employees are doing the work “on the side “ but that is easy counted by paying them a living wage, with enough hours/days to start with? If they work for a firm during the week so do works at weekends/eves etc likely he cannot get these from his employer? If there self employed then it can be a different story altogether but not sure what this person is ?
    Last edited by brightontraveller; 20-01-2017 at 1:10 PM.
    • brightontraveller
    • By brightontraveller 20th Jan 17, 1:23 PM
    • 1,371 Posts
    • 536 Thanks
    brightontraveller
    No it is not.

Plasterer 150 - 180
    Decorator 140

Interesting pay scale Plumber/ electrician/chippy can normally get to about retirement age there eyesight and knees may go , Painters can go on normally the longest of most trades if there lungs don,t pack up ?

Ive found plasterers are f upped 40 mid 50s and comparison they charge a high rate the young less knowledgeable tend to be cheaper but those with the experience , skill etc late twenties to late thirties seem to be more expensive than you pay or want meters opposed to day rate or many we have used do South East and London those that day rate or should i say its two knocks and finish as opposed to say a complete day so to speak ? Do you find for rates you pay they work the day or job and knock ?

We do have some on the cards but I'll admit they are not as quick as many subbies maybe for a day or so but week in week out not so they should really be put out to pasture but if I had a field I'd develop it ?
    Last edited by brightontraveller; 20-01-2017 at 1:38 PM.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 20th Jan 17, 2:23 PM
    • 26,587 Posts
    • 71,395 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    No it is not.

Plasterer 150 - 180
    Decorator 140

I love today. I can just wander around agreeing with anyone called Phil.

One may find exceptions, but 100 a day isn't a 'going rate' for anyone who knows what they are doing and can reasonably charge a going rate. I've got about 30 subbies on the books and don't pay less than 150 for anyone apart from labourers and our 'odd job'. Midlands.

The jobs are small enough to quote a price for so I'd probably want a price, unless we could agree on a maximum number of days.
    Last edited by Doozergirl; 20-01-2017 at 2:28 PM.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • leveller2911
    • By leveller2911 20th Jan 17, 2:58 PM
    • 7,539 Posts
    • 13,947 Thanks
    leveller2911
    Thanks Phill99. He is a plasterer & a joiner with over 20 years experience. He works for a firm but works for himself evenings & weekends which is why I think he charges 100 a day. I've given him a list of what I want he's coming back with samples & prices so we shall see I suppose.
    Originally posted by Rileybaby
    Then he should be able to hang 6 internal doors in a day ,including latches,handles and if necessary altering the door stops if the door linings are in wind (Door lining uprights not parallel with each other) dusts sheet up and leave site neat and tidy........

I wonder if he really is a tradesman if it takes 3 days to hang 9 doors even if he does only want 300 for doing so....

For tradesmen I think Phil is spot on with his day rates but as other have said day rates can be used to hang jobs out.
    Last edited by leveller2911; 20-01-2017 at 3:08 PM.
    • phil24_7
    • By phil24_7 20th Jan 17, 3:39 PM
    • 1,525 Posts
    • 665 Thanks
    phil24_7
    I love today. I can just wander around agreeing with anyone called Phil.

One may find exceptions, but 100 a day isn't a 'going rate' for anyone who knows what they are doing and can reasonably charge a going rate. I've got about 30 subbies on the books and don't pay less than 150 for anyone apart from labourers and our 'odd job'. Midlands.

The jobs are small enough to quote a price for so I'd probably want a price, unless we could agree on a maximum number of days.
    Originally posted by Doozergirl
    Agreed 150-200 depending on trade/experience/quality

I do have someone who works for me for 100, he is generally slower than most though, and has not long started out so is building up his customer base.
    • Risteard
    • By Risteard 20th Jan 17, 4:25 PM
    • 987 Posts
    • 381 Thanks
    Risteard
    A 100 a day for a self employed tradesman doing general domestic jobs is about the going rate
    Catch yourself on.
    • glasgowdan
    • By glasgowdan 20th Jan 17, 5:42 PM
    • 2,917 Posts
    • 3,268 Thanks
    glasgowdan
    I think 100 a day is normal for a handyman. For a trade you'd be a good whack more. I charge a whole lot more for cutting grass and hedges! (It's never charged as a day rate though)
    • Elfbert
    • By Elfbert 20th Jan 17, 10:53 PM
    • 533 Posts
    • 674 Thanks
    Elfbert
    Just as a note, if you mean 'de-artexing' as in ripping the whole lot down, you may want to check if it has asbestos in it first - otherwise you might find yourself with a bloke who's walked off the job because there might be asbestos, a living room knee deep in old artex, and possibly an expensive clean up bill.

If you just mean skimming over, not such a big deal

(and possibly not a deal at all, if it's all fine! But better to know, I'd say.)
    Mortgage - 68,000 may 2014 45,680.
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 21st Jan 17, 11:57 AM
    • 5,589 Posts
    • 3,201 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    @100 a day he isn't a tradesman most labourers get paid more than that
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

928Posts Today

4,654Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Have a great Easter, or a chag sameach to those like me attending Passover seder tomorrow. I?m taking all of next? https://t.co/qrAFTIpqWl

• RT @rowlyc1980: A whopping 18 days off work for only 9 days leave! I?ll have a bit of that please......thanks @MartinSLewis for your crafty?

• RT @dinokyp: That feeling when you realise that you have 18 days of work and only used 9 days of your annual leave! Thanks @MartinSLewis h?

• Follow Martin