Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 16th Jan 17, 7:15 AM
    • 6,658Posts
    • 19,538Thanks
    Doc N
    Stop all nuisance calls simply and easily with BT's new free Call Protect service
    • 16th Jan 17, 7:15 AM
    Stop all nuisance calls simply and easily with BT's new free Call Protect service 16th Jan 17 at 7:15 AM
    http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56986/~/bt-call-protect---how-to...-guide

Free, no device to purchase, and available to all BT customers.

The new service allows you to block all nuisance calls, even if they change their numbers to avoid call blocking devices.

"BT Call Protect helps to prevent unwanted nuisance calls. By managing your settings, you can decide which calls you want to send to a junk voicemail."
Page 3
    • Kess
    • By Kess 1st Feb 17, 9:59 AM
    • 109 Posts
    • 35 Thanks
    Kess
    Have people managed to activate BT Call Protect online via BT's signup page? Whenever I try, after entering my phone number and postcode and clicking "Continue", I get an error message saying we cannot process this order online and telling me to call an 0800 number that ends up in an Indian call centre who don't seem to be able to do anything to help.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 21st Feb 17, 4:57 PM
    • 27,328 Posts
    • 13,376 Thanks
    Cardew
    Having raised doubts about the effectiveness of the system, I have not has a single nuisance call for 5 weeks since installing - other than my son bragging about Liverpool beating Spurs!

Coincidence? or?
    • malc901
    • By malc901 22nd Feb 17, 3:52 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    malc901
    Sorry BT but this doesn't work for me. I'm still getting 4 or 5 calls a day offering to "now change your boiler for free". The problem is they use a different fake number on the caller display for each call so although I can block that one they use a different fake number the next time. Surely BT could detect if the number was genuine or not and automatically block any fake ones. I don't know if the BT8500 phone that has been mentioned elsewhere would be able to stop this kind of nuisance call. If I knew it did I would happily get one.
    • malc901
    • By malc901 22nd Feb 17, 3:58 PM
    • 4 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    malc901

The new service allows you to block all nuisance calls, even if they change their numbers to avoid call blocking devices.

"BT Call Protect helps to prevent unwanted nuisance calls. By managing your settings, you can decide which calls you want to send to a junk voicemail."
    Originally posted by Doc N

Sorry Doc N but I've not managed to do this and I'm still getting 4 or 5 nuisance calls a day because they use a different fake number each time. If you know a way of stopping this I would love to know.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 22nd Feb 17, 4:10 PM
    • 563 Posts
    • 338 Thanks
    Mister G
    Yes, the BT8500/8600 will block these calls, as the caller will be challenged to give their details. Usually they don't bother and just hang up.

If they do decide to give their details you can chose to take or reject the call.

From my personal experience, over the past 18 months, they all just hang up.

Only calls from numbers that you have stored come through straight away.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 22nd Feb 17, 10:18 PM
    • 27,328 Posts
    • 13,376 Thanks
    Cardew
    Yes, the BT8500/8600 will block these calls, as the caller will be challenged to give their details. Usually they don't bother and just hang up.

If they do decide to give their details you can chose to take or reject the call.

From my personal experience, over the past 18 months, they all just hang up.

Only calls from numbers that you have stored come through straight away.
    Originally posted by Mister G
    What happens when someone like your Doctor, Hospital or genuine caller is using a withheld number? What details are they required to give?
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 22nd Feb 17, 10:32 PM
    • 1,997 Posts
    • 1,163 Thanks
    Ian011
    What happens when someone like your Doctor, Hospital or genuine caller is using a withheld number? What details are they required to give?
    Originally posted by Cardew
    They need to state their name or purpose of the call. Once they have done that, you will hear what they said and will have the opportunity to either accept or reject the call.

For callers who call on a regular basis, or who you know in advance will be calling, you can instead give them a PIN code to bypass the voice challenge and get straight through.
    Last edited by Ian011; 23-02-2017 at 9:10 PM.
    • hgm
    • By hgm 23rd Feb 17, 3:06 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    hgm
    I've now found that Call Protect is blocking calls from HMRC to send access codes to enable you to logon to HMRC website. Had to have all details reset and change to a mobile.
    Of course you don't actually know it's been blocked. You just sit by the phone waiting for a code that never comes. (HMRC seem to know about the problem but don't tell you.)
    • arjar
    • By arjar 25th Mar 17, 6:20 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    arjar
    http://bt.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/56986/~/bt-call-protect---how-to...-guide

Just tried to activate it but told not possible with FTTP connection. Anyone else had this problem?
    • Connie
    • By Connie 7th Mar 18, 4:31 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    Connie
    Not everywhere
    Not all BT customers can get BT Call Protect.

It depends if your local exchange has been enabled tor not. Mine hasn't, as it turns out.

BT took my order for Call Protect - though surely they should have been able to tell from my number or postcode which exchange was relevant, and they should have a list of exchages which can't do Call Protect.

I waited a month for the order to be fulfilled. Received email today to say the order was completed. Great excitement!
    However, quickly followed by phonecall to tell me it wasn't possible to give me Call Protect because of the exchange.

BT should make it clear that not everyone can get it - but there's no suggestion of that on their website. Just promises which they clearly can't fulfil.
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 7th Mar 18, 7:27 PM
    • 1,997 Posts
    • 1,163 Thanks
    Ian011
    You haven't missed much. The BT Call Protect system seems to be inherently ineffective as the blocking is based on CLI - which can be faked.

On the other hand, the Sky Shield (Sky) and Talk Safe (TalkTalk) systems (also built into the phone network) appear to be based on the highly effective trueCall system which is also available as a plug-in box or built-in to the BT 8500 and BT 8600 "Call Guardian" handsets.
    Last edited by Ian011; 07-03-2018 at 7:31 PM.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 7th Mar 18, 8:23 PM
    • 6,658 Posts
    • 19,538 Thanks
    Doc N
    You haven't missed much. The BT Call Protect system seems to be inherently ineffective as the blocking is based on CLI - which can be faked.

On the other hand, the Sky Shield (Sky) and Talk Safe (TalkTalk) systems (also built into the phone network) appear to be based on the highly effective trueCall system which is also available as a plug-in box or built-in to the BT 8500 and BT 8600 "Call Guardian" handsets.
    Originally posted by Ian011
    I use the BT 8500 system. It's very good. But even it can't cope with CLI spoofing, because they change the numbers spoofed very regularly.

You can block off an entire code if you choose to, but that carries its own downside of course.

It's fun sometimes, if you have the time, to play little games with the callers, but you do have to bear in mind that they have your name, address and phone number, so best not to make it too extreme. We did have one yesterday who we pretended to know socially. The wife and I asked her how she was getting on, was she well, how her parents were, and then how her brothers and sisters were. She put the phone down, saying we were asking her too many questions.
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 7th Mar 18, 10:17 PM
    • 1,997 Posts
    • 1,163 Thanks
    Ian011
    I use the BT 8500 system. It's very good. But even it can't cope with CLI spoofing, because they change the numbers spoofed very regularly.
    The core functionality of the trueCall system requires all unknown callers to speak and identify themselves, or otherwise state the purpose of the call, and push a button on their handset, all this before your telephone will starting ringing.

Are you saying that nuisance callers are responding to the challenge and you are then accepting these calls, rather than pushing the 'reject call' button and getting rid of the caller without having to speak to them? Or, have you not enabled this functionality?

You can block off an entire code if you choose to, but that carries its own downside of course.
    There should be almost no need to do this.

It's fun sometimes, if you have the time, to play little games with the callers, but you do have to bear in mind that they have your name, address and phone number, so best not to make it too extreme.
    Marketing and other nuisance callers are usually dialling blocks of phone numbers, one number at a time in order, in the hope of finding someone who answers. They usually know nothing about the person they are calling.

We did have one yesterday who we pretended to know . The wife and I asked her how she was getting on, was she well, how her parents were, and then how her brothers and sisters were. She put the phone down, saying we were asking her too many questions.
    I am not sure how these calls are even getting through to you. If you have a trueCall box, or a handset or phone network that incorporates that technology, your phone shouldn't have even rung.
    Last edited by Ian011; 07-03-2018 at 10:20 PM.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 8th Mar 18, 7:28 AM
    • 6,658 Posts
    • 19,538 Thanks
    Doc N
    The core functionality of the trueCall system requires all unknown callers to speak and identify themselves, or otherwise state the purpose of the call, and push a button on their handset, all this before your telephone will starting ringing.

Are you saying that nuisance callers are responding to the challenge and you are then accepting these calls, rather than pushing the 'reject call' button and getting rid of the caller without having to speak to them? Or, have you not enabled this functionality?

Not enabled - I see it as too offputting for the many genuine calls that we get from different numbers. The regular ones could be saved to avoid that, but not the withhelds etc.. It's an option I could use, of course, but the number of 'problem' calls is low.

Marketing and other nuisance callers are usually dialling blocks of phone numbers, one number at a time in order, in the hope of finding someone who answers. They usually know nothing about the person they are calling.

The only problem calls we get are as a result of the TalkTalk data breach - virtually no others at all. We've been ex-directory for ever, withhold outward numbers and rarely give out our landline number - there are no marketing/nuisance calls apart from the TalkTalk ones, and with those calls they have all the old TalkTalk account details, including address and phone number.
    The BT 8500 is a good system - I could use more of its functions (see above) but it's a matter of weighing up the advantages and disadvantages.
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 8th Mar 18, 8:00 PM
    • 1,997 Posts
    • 1,163 Thanks
    Ian011
    To have a trueCall system and not turn on the main functionality is akin to not having the system at all. If you are worried about some of your regular wanted callers who call from anonymous or unknown numbers being put off by the system, you can issue then with a PIN code to get through without being challenged. Those who call from a known number on a regular basis can be added to an "approved numbers" list such that they also get straight through.
    Last edited by Ian011; 08-03-2018 at 8:03 PM.
    • Doc N
    • By Doc N 8th Mar 18, 8:11 PM
    • 6,658 Posts
    • 19,538 Thanks
    Doc N
    To have a trueCall system and not turn on the main functionality is akin to not having the system at all. If you are worried about some of your regular wanted callers who call from anonymous or unknown numbers being put off by the system, you can issue then with a PIN code to get through without being challenged. Those who call from a known number on a regular basis can be added to an "approved numbers" list such that they also get straight through.
    Thanks for the advice. I take your point, to a degree, but it still provides me with some useful functions.

It's not the regular callers that are the problem - as you say, they can easily be saved so that they get straight through. It's the irregular but important calls that I'd be concerned about missing. No question of saving the numbers or issuing a PIN - I don't know who they are until they've called, and putting a blocking mechanism in the way would lessen the chance of those calls getting through when I want them.

What would be useful, though, and I have no doubt that it's technically achievable, would be for international calls to come through as such and thus get blocked by the software instead of being allowed through as if they really were UK calls.
    • Paul Varjak
    • By Paul Varjak 10th Mar 18, 1:51 PM
    • 4,326 Posts
    • 2,773 Thanks
    Paul Varjak
    I no longer use the call-block feature of my trueCall unit either. With scam callers now changing phone numbers on every call, trueCall is no longer as useful as it once was.

The call-filtering features of trueCall can also hinder genuine callers getting through so I leave those switched off too, otherwise I can find myself wasting time and calling back genuine callers at my own expense.

So, why leave my trueCall connected and switched on? Well, it has a very useful call record feature that can help in any investigations by the authorities.

If I do get a scam call (often noticed by a number of an invalid format) I just put on my authoritative voice - that puts off persistent scammers for a few weeks at least. If I was to let trueCall handle such calls, the scammers would call several times a day until the call was answered by a human.

I do add scam numbers to TalkTalk's call blocker facility (14258) however.

By adopting the above methods and registering with TPS, being ex-directory and only ever making calls with a withheld CLI, I now only get one scam call every 6 weeks or so
    Last edited by Paul Varjak; 10-03-2018 at 1:53 PM.
    • Ian011
    • By Ian011 10th Mar 18, 7:15 PM
    • 1,997 Posts
    • 1,163 Thanks
    Ian011
    I no longer use the call-block feature of my trueCall unit either. With scam callers now changing phone numbers on every call, trueCall is no longer as useful as it once was.
    Originally posted by Paul Varjak
    This is where the call filtering technology comes in. This is unique to the trueCall call blocking system and is why it is so effective.

The call-filtering features of trueCall can also hinder genuine callers getting through so I leave those switched off too, otherwise I can find myself wasting time and calling back genuine callers at my own expense.
    Originally posted by Paul Varjak
    Regular callers can be added to an "approved" list or can be given a PIN code to enter. Others simply have to speak and press a button. Is this really too onerous?

As for calling back, do you not have an Unlimited Anytime call plan? This costs around 9 per month and ensures there are no additional charges for calls to ordinary numbers (as long as each call does not exceed 60 minutes).
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 11th Mar 18, 10:40 AM
    • 563 Posts
    • 338 Thanks
    Mister G
    I have found the Truecall features of the BT8500 invaluable.

In the two years we have had it only one unwanted call has got through and that was because the caller lied.

It is a very flexible system and you can enable/disable the features that you want/don't want.

I take the view that if it is important then the caller will persevere with the questioning. Obviously I do not know if I have missed an important call because they didn't, but there other ways of contacting me by either mobile or email.

All in all, an excellent piece of kit that suits my personal needs.
    • Connie
    • By Connie 14th Mar 18, 7:24 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 53 Thanks
    Connie
    Bt 8600
    Have now invested in BT 8600 handsets.
    Wonderful!

Have set it so that all callers, except those on my "allowed" list, have to announce their identity.
    Result - since I got it, the phone has only rung when an "allowed" caller has phoned.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,667Posts Today

8,343Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin