PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Hello Forumites! However well-intentioned, for the safety of other users we ask that you refrain from seeking or offering medical advice. This includes recommendations for medicines, procedures or over-the-counter remedies. Posts or threads found to be in breach of this rule will be removed.

Cooking for one

Comments

• NewShadow
    NewShadow Posts: 6,858 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post Photogenic
    Watched it all .... no idea what relevance that has to me eating a pasty!
    I don't understand many things ... and that's one of them.

Nothing to do with pasty (other than that the post was by you).

More based on posts like this:
    I have been thinking of writing it up next time I've got some milk in ...

Into a bowl, knob of butter. Nuke to melt.
    Add the flour, stir until smooth.
    Add a bit of milk, stir until smooth ... repeat a few times.
    Nuke a bit (30 secs or so), check/stir and stare at it, how's it coming along?
    Add more milk as you decide/require.
    Nuke/stir/look a few more times
    When it "looks about right", lob the grated cheese in, stir.
    Nuke to melt the cheese, stir it ... does it need more cheese or milk? Add if required, stir, nuke.. serve.

It's easier done than it sounds ... it comes down to: You know what's in it... you know how you expect it to look .... so lob the stuff in until it's the right consistency.

I'll write it up with photos one day ... been doing it donkeys' years.

Chuck some of this in...a bit of that...poke it...stare at it...poke it some more - and yet it all turns out tasty and food like :D
    That sounds like a classic case of premature extrapolation.

House Bought July 2020 - 19 years 0 months remaining on term
    Next Step: Bathroom renovation booked for January 2021
    Goal: Keep the bigger picture in mind...
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    NewShadow wrote: »
    Chuck some of this in...a bit of that...poke it...stare at it...poke it some more - and yet it all turns out tasty and food like

Ah :)

Well it does work out if you understand the basic properties of food.

e.g. raw meat does NOT, EVER, cook in 2 minutes and can kill you if you try. A carrot takes longer than peas. Do not put custard into stews. Never turn the oven on FULL as that's no good for anything....

A few simple rules to think about and you can chuck it all in and end up with something wonderful .... :)
  • Nelski
    Nelski Posts: 15,197 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Photogenic
    Morning Oneskis :wave:

Groundhog friday for evening meal here with chicken curry nan bread and a cup cake. Probably do some oven chips to really ring the changes :cool:
    Will freeze any leftovers after today as i dont want to spoil it by having it again tomorrow.

PN I was thinking about you too the other day when I stuck some chicken breasts in the nuke box to defrost...turns out there was a small metal label on the bottom maybe an anti theft thing. 5 mins in and the packs on fire in the nuke box :eek::eek: note to self dont defrost in original packaging...All is well btw and nobody died but watch out for that with Lidl chicken if you buy it folks:)

Enjoy your friday :T
  • PasturesNew
    PasturesNew Posts: 70,698 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    edited 10 March 2017 at 11:35AM
    Nelski wrote: »
    .... I stuck some chicken breasts in the nuke box to defrost...turns out there was a small metal label on the bottom maybe an anti theft thing. 5 mins in and the packs on fire in the nuke box

note to self dont defrost in original packaging
    As a rule, except where they are fully formed products sold as ready meals, NEVER use any plastics that food comes wrapped in in the nukebox. It's a different sort of plastic.

Anything that's not intended to be used in a nukebox has the potential of melting and ruining your food .... and that's ignoring the dangers of it being some "plastic that leeches" or, in your case, having metal in the wrapping somewhere.

I've sliced 8 of the scones in half and shoved them in the freezer to freeze - and cooked the other two, served with a blob of marmalade. I always slice stuff before it gets frozen if I'll be using it sliced.

I also took 10 slices of bread from the pack and froze half - put 8 into tupperware-similar boxes and toasted two pieces.
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    none of my frozen fruit is bought, all grown on my allotment as is much of my veg and I have a lot of it, gooseberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackcurrants, strawberries. Also loads of apples from my apple trees. Enough fruit for the whole year. Kefir is fermented milk and has been made for thousands of years, me and my siblings grew up eating it, in the 50s and we are all of us incredibly healthy. I can`t help it if people jump on the kefir bandwagon, for me it is a way of life as is organic and wholefoods. I am what I eat and I know it is different to most people :D

My ice cream is made from hm custard ie creamy milk and egg yolk and double cream with some vanilla sugar. It is so satisfying that I find just a little does me at a time. Bought ice cream makes me want more because if the ingredients, so I don`t buy it

Anyway, one egg and some beans for lunch today, haven`t made the soup yet. May well have some of my part roasted parsnips too, to bulk it up a bit
  • meg72
    meg72 Posts: 5,164 Forumite
    First Anniversary First Post I've been Money Tipped!
    kittie wrote: »
    none of my frozen fruit is bought, all grown on my allotment as is much of my veg and I have a lot of it, gooseberries, raspberries, blueberries, blackcurrants, strawberries. Also loads of apples from my apple trees. Enough fruit for the whole year. Kefir is fermented milk and has been made for thousands of years, me and my siblings grew up eating it, in the 50s and we are all of us incredibly healthy. I can`t help it if people jump on the kefir bandwagon, for me it is a way of life as is organic and wholefoods. I am what I eat and I know it is different to most people :D

My ice cream is made from hm custard ie creamy milk and egg yolk and double cream with some vanilla sugar. It is so satisfying that I find just a little does me at a time. Bought ice cream makes me want more because if the ingredients, so I don`t buy it

Anyway, one egg and some beans for lunch today, haven`t made the soup yet. May well have some of my part roasted parsnips too, to bulk it up a bit

I really miss my allotments, I had to give them up when I moved as I dont drive. I did bring some raspberrys, strawberrys and rhubarb with me but the rhubarb died. Strawberrys and raspberrys still going strong though. The garden is tiny but its amazing how much you can grow in containers. I never have to buy salad or berrys in the summer, All herbs are home grown and some dried for winter. Potted up some seed potatoes yesterday looking forward to them and cant wait until I can sow my runner beans as now have none left from last year.

I always smile when I get my bean seeds out as I have never bought a seed. My Dad was a keen gardener and many years ago gave me a few seeds off his plants, I have grown them and saved seeds for longer than I really want to think about.
    Slimming World at target
  • caronc
    caronc Posts: 8,083 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post
    Afternoon everyone,
    I thought I wasn't cooking for one tonight but my son isn't arriving until late, consequently I've no idea what have:cool:

Spent what felt like hours last night chopping veg for the ragu:- 3 onions, 3 carrots, 4 stalks of celery, 2 big courgettes, 300g of mushrooms and loads of garlic :eek: Add in the HM passatta and 3 tins of tomatoes and it's certainly chock full of veg portions (I reckon well over 20) who knew lasagne was actually a "health food";) It's all simmering down splendidly so just the white sauce to make later, layer it up and let it mature overnight:D

I used to grow a fair bit of veg but realistically unless my mobility picks up I'm going to struggle this year so might just stick to peas, beans, toms, courgettes and cucumber - still too early to be starting anything here (end of March at the earliest) and I'll need to get someone in to set things up for me but it's lovely hobby that I really enjoy:)

It's a damp and misrrable day so not sure what fancy for lunch - something that doesn't involve chopping veg LOL:)
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 12,492 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    oh I am sorry Meg, I feel your pain, I would be so unhappy if I did not have my allotment. It is only 100 x 8 feet but is in a lovely place, surrounded by fields and with skylarks. I have put lots of flowers in as it can be too productive, so I am going to have plenty of cut flowers to bring home and to give away. I used to grow enough for the two of us but things suddenly changed two years ago, so I am adapting as a widow and anything, like flowers, that brings cheer does help

I have cut a whole garlic bulb in half and three shallots, placed flat side down on an olive-oiled enamelled plate and had it in the oven for 15 minutes, with the parsnips. I have squeezed out the cooked garlic cloves and will use this shallot/garlic mix as the base for my soup. They are beautiful when cooked this way. You can make a really good garlic soup like this, with much more of the garlic and shallots, add stock and parsley and whizz. This is one super duper immune booster and tastes divine

lunch was lovely, poached my egg and had peas with the parsnip. Sun is blazing, need to get out now, fresh air
  • karcher
    karcher Posts: 2,069 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Kefir? Forgive my ignorance but can you buy it or do you have to make it yourself and what is it used for/with?

Breakfast an apple and a few squares of chocolate :o

Lunch a huge wedge of LO baguette warmed in the nuke box, covered in butter and rammed full with coleslaw.

Stuffed now, feel sick and got a splitting headache..I should know better than to eat much in the day :(...Oh and so much for trying to lose some weight :o
    'I'm sinking in the quicksand of my thought
    And I ain't got the power anymore'
  • Yes it is possible to buy milk kefir drink - though I can't recall seeing any for sale.

I make my own. I got some kefir grains (seem to remember it was a purchase from Amazon) and the idea is to put a dessertspoon worth into milk and leave it to "do its thing" for, say, 24 hours. At that point the milk has thickened up and one takes the grains out and reuses them to make the next batch of kefir and so on.

Fermented foods is something I mean to get more into come when my new kitchen is finished. For now - it's been live yogurt, must get back into kefir (my grains are in the freezer at the moment) and sometimes some "real" sauerkraut.

I was reading some comments on a Facebook group page recently where someone commented they don't recall having a cold since starting to eat fermented food. That was duly followed by other people saying the same thing.

Maybe it's more than coincidence that I can't recall the last time I had a cold myself - and I'm still not eating that much fermented food yet.

Personally - I just drink the "kefired" milk. Though I'm planning on experimenting more with it - eg making kefir cheese and the like.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure