Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • zaax
    • By zaax 12th Jan 17, 9:07 PM
    • 1,824Posts
    • 719Thanks
    zaax
    Sky to put up prices in March
    • 12th Jan 17, 9:07 PM
    Sky to put up prices in March 12th Jan 17 at 9:07 PM
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/money/bills/article-4112850/Sky-customers-face-higher-line-rental-March.html

Whilst BT Wholesale go down Sky will put there prices up.

Do you want your money back, and a bit more, search for 'money claim online' - They don't like it up 'em Captain Mainwaring
Page 5
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 15th Feb 17, 6:59 PM
    • 2,110 Posts
    • 961 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I see Sky keep cashback 'pending' for 26 weeks (at least they do with topcashback) & you need to give them 2 weeks notice. So though their letter admits you have a right to leave them, unless you're over half-way though your contract, their held-back cash-back means that economically, you can't

This system seems to make a mockery of the 30 day cancellation that they are forced to offer?

I assume you'll loose all the cashback if you cancelled before you are 28 weeks into the contract.?
    Originally posted by geoff_s---r
    And rightly so I'd say, it's your choice to honor the contract or not but you can't expect to get the cashback as well if you're leaving before half way through it.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 15th Feb 17, 7:03 PM
    • 2,110 Posts
    • 961 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Customers who have their Sky cash back payment held 'pending' for 26 weeks are effectively excluded from their rights to cancel their sky contract in protest about the unjustifiable increase
    Pure nonsense.
    • geoff_s---r
    • By geoff_s---r 15th Feb 17, 7:47 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    geoff_s---r
    I hoped to get this 9% increase dropped if I phoned a Sky cancellation operator to object to their new £19 line rental rate (abt.5m into my 12m contract).

He said he was sure he could do something good about it & after an excitingly long pause announced "My computer is permitting me to offer you a 'great deal', Sky won't charge you the £1.59pm increase for a full 18 months!" : "Would I like that?".

He left it entirely up to me to realise the flaws in the offer (that my 12m free broadband contract would instantly turn into a 23m contract, with 11 months of full broadband charges).

I said that I'd phoned to complain that Sky wanted to overcharge me £11.10 (7m @ £1.59pm). So was Sky's 'great' solution to instead over-charge me £110? (11m @£10pm broadband).

He said, that's was the best Sky could offer.

You've got to hand it to them . Murdock & Sky are slick operators!
    • geoff_s---r
    • By geoff_s---r 15th Feb 17, 8:24 PM
    • 58 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    geoff_s---r
    And rightly so I'd say, it's your choice to honor the contract or not but you can't expect to get the cashback as well if you're leaving before half way through it.
    Originally posted by Colin_Maybe
    It's not exactly 'honouring the contract' to whack on a 9% increase, after making it economically impossible to escape paying it.

I wasn't dishonourably moneygrabbing. I phoned Sky hoping they'd not apply their increase for the remaining months. I suspect they refused because they could see that they'd effectively neutralised my statutory option to leave the contract.

If Sky offered such high cashback deals, after they knew they'd scheduled huge unpublished rate increases, then perhaps honour is not a word to use here?
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 15th Feb 17, 8:53 PM
    • 2,110 Posts
    • 961 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    It's not exactly 'honouring the contract' to whack on a 9% increase, after making it economically impossible to escape paying it.

I wasn't dishonourably moneygrabbing. I phoned Sky hoping they'd not apply their increase for the remaining months. I suspect they refused because they could see that they'd effectively neutralised my statutory option to leave the contract.

If Sky offered such high cashback deals, after they knew they'd scheduled huge unpublished rate increases, then perhaps honour is not a word to use here?
    'economically impossible'???

You're still talking nonsense I'm afraid. They're not charging you for leaving if that's what you want to do, they're just not going to pay you for actually leaving.
    • willieaames
    • By willieaames 16th Feb 17, 6:35 AM
    • 9 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    willieaames
    I find it shocking not many people realise how easy it is to get pretty big discounts by just saying you'll leave their service.
    • miller
    • By miller 16th Feb 17, 8:51 AM
    • 1,240 Posts
    • 433 Thanks
    miller
    I find it shocking not many people realise how easy it is to get pretty big discounts by just saying you'll leave their service.
    Originally posted by willieaames
    And even bigger ones after actually doing it
    • geoff_s---r
    • By geoff_s---r 16th Feb 17, 8:56 AM
    • 58 Posts
    • 17 Thanks
    geoff_s---r
    'economically impossible'???

You're still talking nonsense I'm afraid.
    Ok, I'll persevere & do my best to explain/translate.

Once a company holds, say £79 cashback pending, they can happily put up their prices say £50 on a previously agreed 12 month contract, without loosing customers, as they've made it 'economically impossible' to leave, as leaving has been made an irrational thing to do.

Offering high cashback, just before you increase your prices, could allow an unscrupulous company to add say 9% to their charges without loosing customers and that company has the added benefit of knowing that their locked-in customers don't have a leg to stand on when trying to negotiate away the increase.

If a big company may be acting unethically, it seems only fair to visit a public consumer forum like this, and try to highlight the problem?

I'm sorry you feel I'm posting here through dishonourable intentions & keep spouting pure nonsense, but it seems fair to ask if it's correct that Sky did heavily increase their cashback offer after they'd taken the decision to make such a hefty price increase. If they did do this, then I'd hope OFCOM would take an interest.
    Last edited by geoff_s---r; 16-02-2017 at 9:27 AM.
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 16th Feb 17, 9:40 AM
    • 2,110 Posts
    • 961 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    Ok, I'll persevere & do my best to explain/translate.

Once a company holds, say £79 cashback pending, they can happily put up their prices say £50 on a previously agreed 12 month contract, without loosing customers, as they've made it 'economically impossible' to leave, as leaving has been made an irrational thing to do.

Offering high cashback, just before you increase your prices, could allow an unscrupulous company to add say 9% to their charges without loosing customers and that company has the added benefit of knowing that their locked-in customers don't have a leg to stand on when trying to negotiate away the increase.

If a big company may be acting unethically, it seems only fair to visit a public consumer forum like this, and try to highlight the problem?

I'm sorry you feel I'm posting here through dishonourable intentions & keep spouting pure nonsense, but it seems fair to ask if it's correct that Sky did heavily increase their cashback offer after they'd taken the decision to make such a hefty price increase. If they did do this, then I'd hope OFCOM would take an interest.
    There's no need to be snarky, your meaning was plain. Once again you trying to prove that it's impossible financially to leave (locked in? Really?) when it's just not true. If they don't give the cashback until at least 6 months in then it's not yours until that point anyway. It also doesn't stop you negotiating a discount on the rises and many people on here have already stated that their fixed prices haven't gone up (not strictly related to the cashback I know).

BTW, the word is 'losing', not 'loosing'.

I'll leave you to it, no doubt you'll mention Watchdog shortly.
    • gwapenut
    • By gwapenut 17th Feb 17, 10:44 AM
    • 920 Posts
    • 380 Thanks
    gwapenut
    It also doesn't stop you negotiating a discount on the rises
    This was going t be my question - normally if a sale requires C.S. intervention then cashback becomes void.

Does anyone know, from experience, whether renegotiating after a month or two due to price rises does or does not tend to void the pending cashback?
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 17th Feb 17, 12:06 PM
    • 2,110 Posts
    • 961 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    This was going t be my question - normally if a sale requires C.S. intervention then cashback becomes void.

Does anyone know, from experience, whether renegotiating after a month or two due to price rises does or does not tend to void the pending cashback?
    Originally posted by gwapenut
    Good question is that. (I don't know btw)
    • Shedgal83
    • By Shedgal83 12th Mar 18, 12:28 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Shedgal83
    I had sky talk, broadband and q box installed in January. A few weeks later and after noticing that the broadband was going to have a price hike, I received a call from BT offering me broadband with free BT SPORT (which I was paying for extra) so I moved to BT. Now I thought I was perfectly ok to move without being charged from Sky seeing as they’d notified me of an impending price hike, but they’ve sent me a letter saying they’re charging me £155!!!
    Where do I stand on this? Do I have to pay this? It seems a hell of a charge!
    • Colin_Maybe
    • By Colin_Maybe 12th Mar 18, 1:25 PM
    • 2,110 Posts
    • 961 Thanks
    Colin_Maybe
    I had sky talk, broadband and q box installed in January. A few weeks later and after noticing that the broadband was going to have a price hike, I received a call from BT offering me broadband with free BT SPORT (which I was paying for extra) so I moved to BT. Now I thought I was perfectly ok to move without being charged from Sky seeing as they’d notified me of an impending price hike, but they’ve sent me a letter saying they’re charging me £155!!!
    Where do I stand on this? Do I have to pay this? It seems a hell of a charge!
    Originally posted by Shedgal83
    Once they'd notified you, you had to call them to tell them that you were breaking the contract due to the price rise. I'm guessing you didn't do this so they're charging you for the rest of the contract which you breached.
    • phillw
    • By phillw 13th Mar 18, 7:48 AM
    • 1,261 Posts
    • 816 Thanks
    phillw
    Once they'd notified you, you had to call them to tell them that you were breaking the contract due to the price rise. I'm guessing you didn't do this so they're charging you for the rest of the contract which you breached.
    With my experience of other ISP's, even if you do call them and they make a note of it then you still will receive correspondence saying that you will be charged an early exit fee.

It normally takes a second phone call for them to actually apply it.

Cash back isn't guaranteed, so it's perfectly rational to wait as long as possible for the cashback and then ditch sky to chase another deal. It depends on what other deals are being offered.

quidco estimate my cashback a couple of weeks before the 30 day deadline for switching, if it gets pushed back then I'm seriously considering leaving anyway. I'm not going to let the idea of cash back turn into a red bus.

Originally posted by gwapenut
    I got topcashback from BT when I renegotiated within the first month. I don't know if that is something you can rely on though.
    Last edited by phillw; 13-03-2018 at 8:04 AM.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

131Posts Today

1,915Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin