Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • El_Jackal
    • By El_Jackal 5th Jan 17, 3:42 PM
    • 35Posts
    • 21Thanks
    El_Jackal
    Negative changes to the Motability scheme as of 1st January 2017.
    • 5th Jan 17, 3:42 PM
    Negative changes to the Motability scheme as of 1st January 2017. 5th Jan 17 at 3:42 PM
    I have this week been informed that Motability have introduced a cap of £27,500 on all vehicles (£28,500 for 7-seater vehicles). All vehicles over this price have been removed from the scheme. Also, all SUVs and MPVs over 170bhp have been removed from the scheme. Finally, if you require a 7-seater you must now prove the need for it.

I don't mind if an organisation makes these changes; I seriously mind it if they do so without making any effort to tell customers or the public. This is even more true as the car I wanted to order this week is no longer available on the scheme but was available when I last visited my Motability dealer two weeks ago.

I have used the scheme for 12 years and has been researching SUVs since November. In December I went on test drives and worked with a Motability dealer to find the right car for me. I decided to order the car at the start of January once Christmas was over. Two days ago I went into Exeter to order the perfect car for me to learn that over 50 SUV models/trims have been removed from the scheme (along with many other vehicle types and models).

I am furious that Motability made these changes without telling customers, without the Motability Lifestyle magazine writing anything about the changes and with Motability still including no information about this change on their website.

The car that I wanted is no longer on the scheme. My next three choices are all unavailable as well. The lesser car that I will now go for is at the same Advance Payment as the "better" cars had two weeks ago. The reality of this is that I can now order a car with £2000 less features but for the same amount of money as before. This only impact of this change on Motability customers is a reduction in choice and less value for your money.

Has anyone else discovered this recent change?
Page 8
    • Danday
    • By Danday 25th Feb 18, 11:54 AM
    • 354 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    Danday
    Thanks poppy, I have no idea if my problems are similar to others.
    • easy
    • By easy 25th Feb 18, 3:47 PM
    • 2,312 Posts
    • 2,714 Thanks
    easy
    Exactly what i've been saying to the OP multiple times.

With the posts from the OP being very similar to a past member, it's not surprising we are all going round in circles here.
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    Ah of course Poppy, sorry - the penny hadn't dropped ... silly me
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say.
    • piefeet
    • By piefeet 16th Apr 18, 5:50 PM
    • 15 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    piefeet
    ah this old chest nut, my mobility car is over 300 bhp, only i dont pay mobility, i pay it off my creditcard (i stuck my car on a 40 month blance transfer) ps, thank you for the free £500 road tax )
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,785Posts Today

9,096Users online

Martin's Twitter