Negative changes to the Motability scheme as of 1st January 2017.

Options

Comments

• CTcelt1988
    Options
    bigbulldog wrote: »
    Apart from the 1st example the other 2 require a deposit of 2k and £2700 and I already pointed out the mileage difference.:)

Even though the 1st example only needs a £95 deposit,but it still is way more expensive via Motability.

Also the difference in the annual mileage with what your saving compared to Motability you could cover part of the excess mileage if needed and it would still be cheaper.
    A decent MPV on Motability can be between £1500-£2,500 advance payment. A Ford S Max advance payment for an automatic is £1,599.
  • rockingbilly
    Options
    CTcelt1988 wrote: »

Or are you suggesting that the DWP scrap the mobility component of PIP?
    Looking at that point from another angle, why should someone who, 2 days short of their 65th birthday, makes a claim for PIP and there is the possibility that they could well get a mobility award that they used towards leasing a car from Motability to help them get to and from their job. yet someone who was 65 cannot make such a claim?
    They are only allowed to claim AA which does not assess mobility outdoors.
    Does it mean that because you have just turned 65 before making a claim you will no longer need a car but should stay at home and give up their job?
  • bigbulldog
    Options
    Looking at that point from another angle, why should someone who, 2 days short of their 65th birthday, makes a claim for PIP and there is the possibility that they could well get a mobility award that they used towards leasing a car from Motability to help them get to and from their job. yet someone who was 65 cannot make such a claim?
    Does it mean that because you have just turned 65 before making a claim you will no longer need a car but should stay at home and give up their job?

It's the rules/criteria what is the matter with some of the people on here as the topic was about how generous Motability are in the way they give there cars for free to dla/pip high mobility claimants
    And you keep going round in circles let's have another example shall we.

I'm now retired I'm only 58 paid all my national insurance contributions to the maximum which gives me full state pension when I reach 66,but hang on I'm retired now why can't I start drawing it and do you know why well it's the rules/criteria as I don't meet them.
  • teddysmum
    teddysmum Posts: 9,471 Forumite
    First Anniversary Combo Breaker First Post
    Options

This has been discussed before.
    Apparently there has to be a cut off age and that of men no longer needing to go to work seems to be it, but what will happen when the earliest State Pension age goes beyond the 65th birthday ? This effects anyone born after 5/12/53, so which group will they be put in ?
  • rockingbilly
    Options
    teddysmum wrote: »
    This has been discussed before.
    Apparently there has to be a cut off age and that of men no longer needing to go to work seems to be it, but what will happen when the earliest State Pension age goes beyond the 65th birthday ? This effects anyone born after 5/12/53, so which group will they be put in ?

Ah I like that - when you get to 65 it is deemed then that they no longer need to go to work. Likewise when the age goes up, you are still stuck with the fact that at 65 the need to work disappears. So without the need to work beyond 65 they don't need the Motability car to get to work.
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Ah I like that - when you get to 65 it is deemed then that they no longer need to go to work. Likewise when the age goes up, you are still stuck with the fact that at 65 the need to work disappears. So without the need to work beyond 65 they don't need the Motability car to get to work.

No it is deemed that on reaching pension age, as was, when the rule was introduced, you generally become less mobile with age.

As such they made this rule so that normal mobility loss through age couldn't be claimed for as that isn't a disability as such, but an age related ailment that is/was expected.

I am not going to split hairs over what is and isn't a disability, it's just what was explained to me during training, which is why of you had DLA Mob before reaching that age you could keep it as the disability is not age related.
  • Jackieboy
    Jackieboy Posts: 1,010 Forumite
    Options
    Those deals don't include insurance and maintenance do they ? I imagine the end purchase value will be a bit different.

And you'd have to pay for any scratches and bumps - is that the case when you return a Motability car? (That's a genuine qiestion, I don't know.)
  • bigbulldog
    Options
    Jackieboy wrote: »
    And you'd have to pay for any scratches and bumps - is that the case when you return a Motability car? (That's a genuine qiestion, I don't know.)

No you don't in fact when the car goes back in good condition you get a £250 bonus.

But with some of the really good private leasing deals around the difference would cover that and of coarse some won't.
  • rockingbilly
    Options
    tomtom256 wrote: »
    No it is deemed that on reaching pension age, as was, when the rule was introduced, you generally become less mobile with age.

As such they made this rule so that normal mobility loss through age couldn't be claimed for as that isn't a disability as such, but an age related ailment that is/was expected.

I am not going to split hairs over what is and isn't a disability, it's just what was explained to me during training, which is why of you had DLA Mob before reaching that age you could keep it as the disability is not age related.
    Thank you for your input.
    So if you were disabled mobility wise pre 65 you would continue to get the mobility element after 65 - that seems fair.
    And post 65 if you lose your mobility then that is classed as a normal aging process and nothing to do with a disability.
    So if I lose the right to a mobility element post 65 because of the transition from DLA to PIP and having had it for 15 years+ I presume that that means I am less mobile post 65 not because of the disability but because of aging process?
    Utterly confusing.
    Surely the answer should be that if you can prove that the mobility problems emanated pre 65 you should be allowed to claim for it at any age.
    The only reason I ask this is that I am undecided as to whether I go for the transition (which I am likely to do) or just cancel the DLA award (HRM & MRC) and go for AA whilst I gather more evidence to prove that my mobility issues did in fact exist and arise in 2002 at age 53
  • tomtom256
    tomtom256 Posts: 2,217 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Thank you for your input.
    So if you were disabled mobility wise pre 65 you would continue to get the mobility element after 65 - that seems fair.
    And post 65 if you lose your mobility then that is classed as a normal aging process and nothing to do with a disability.
    So if I lose the right to a mobility element post 65 because of the transition from DLA to PIP and having had it for 15 years+ I presume that that means I am less mobile post 65 not because of the disability but because of aging process?
    Utterly confusing.
    Surely the answer should be that if you can prove that the mobility problems emanated pre 65 you should be allowed to claim for it at any age.
    The only reason I ask this is that I am undecided as to whether I go for the transition (which I am likely to do) or just cancel the DLA award (HRM & MRC) and go for AA whilst I gather more evidence to prove that my mobility issues did in fact exist and arise in 2002 at age 53

Can you actually read English?

No if you lose DLA mob when transferred to PIP that has nothing to do with the difference between DLA and AA or age.

The scenario you have stated is that they just deem the person is not as disabled as declared, the decision has nothing with age or AA, which was the original question.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure