Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • El_Jackal
    • By El_Jackal 5th Jan 17, 3:42 PM
    • 35Posts
    • 21Thanks
    El_Jackal
    Negative changes to the Motability scheme as of 1st January 2017.
    • 5th Jan 17, 3:42 PM
    Negative changes to the Motability scheme as of 1st January 2017. 5th Jan 17 at 3:42 PM
    I have this week been informed that Motability have introduced a cap of 27,500 on all vehicles (28,500 for 7-seater vehicles). All vehicles over this price have been removed from the scheme. Also, all SUVs and MPVs over 170bhp have been removed from the scheme. Finally, if you require a 7-seater you must now prove the need for it.

I don't mind if an organisation makes these changes; I seriously mind it if they do so without making any effort to tell customers or the public. This is even more true as the car I wanted to order this week is no longer available on the scheme but was available when I last visited my Motability dealer two weeks ago.

I have used the scheme for 12 years and has been researching SUVs since November. In December I went on test drives and worked with a Motability dealer to find the right car for me. I decided to order the car at the start of January once Christmas was over. Two days ago I went into Exeter to order the perfect car for me to learn that over 50 SUV models/trims have been removed from the scheme (along with many other vehicle types and models).

I am furious that Motability made these changes without telling customers, without the Motability Lifestyle magazine writing anything about the changes and with Motability still including no information about this change on their website.

The car that I wanted is no longer on the scheme. My next three choices are all unavailable as well. The lesser car that I will now go for is at the same Advance Payment as the "better" cars had two weeks ago. The reality of this is that I can now order a car with 2000 less features but for the same amount of money as before. This only impact of this change on Motability customers is a reduction in choice and less value for your money.

Has anyone else discovered this recent change?
Page 7
    • bigbulldog
    • By bigbulldog 3rd Feb 17, 8:38 AM
    • 572 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    bigbulldog
    Insurance? It's only low if you live in a quiet area, have years of NCB, etc.
    Originally posted by Tigsteroonie
    I wonder what's going to be the next excuse some people.
    • bigbulldog
    • By bigbulldog 3rd Feb 17, 8:48 AM
    • 572 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    bigbulldog
    Here's another great deal.....

Citroen Space Tourer 1.6 Blue HDI 115 Business M 9 Seat Manual

Cheap Lease deal for a 9 seat MPV
    Ideal for a large family or even needing the space of a van.

59.98 per month over 18 month lease
    2400 initial deposit

Total 3479.64

Motability costs...

Advance payment 2995

Monthly cost 248.95

Total 7476.10

Double the price if Motability DID 18 month contracts.

also the mileage is low,but again with the amount that's being saved financially this would cover the access mileage,insurance and maintenance.

Shall I preempt the excuses....

I don't need 9 seats or 9 seats are not enough etc etc.
    • rockingbilly
    • By rockingbilly 3rd Feb 17, 10:14 AM
    • 834 Posts
    • 249 Thanks
    rockingbilly
    In all of this applying for a private lease instead of going through Motability is always down to the applicant having an excellent credit reference. Motability aren't interested in your financial position.
    Someone with a CCJ and a couple of late payments would generally not be able to get any private leasing deal. I could get finance over 4 years at a very low rate of APR to buy a 14000 car with no deposit costing under 300 a month. With a dodgy credit rating I would be shown the door.

This is where Motability come into their own - you are guaranteed a new car with no questions asked about your previous financial transactions.
    In fact Motability used to fund cars via HP. It used to be about 11,000 borrowed over 4 years with no credit check for a car that was under 3 years old.. Is it any wonder why they stopped that scheme.
    • bigbulldog
    • By bigbulldog 3rd Feb 17, 12:09 PM
    • 572 Posts
    • 682 Thanks
    bigbulldog

This is where Motability come into their own - you are guaranteed a new car with no questions asked about your previous financial transactions.
    In fact Motability used to fund cars via HP. It used to be about 11,000 borrowed over 4 years with no credit check for a car that was under 3 years old.. Is it any wonder why they stopped that scheme.
    Originally posted by rockingbilly
    I agree with the above apart from PIP as as far as I am aware you can no longer get an indefinite award anymore as there time limited and in that respect I'm not sure that if your in your last year or two left on your PIP Motability would accept you for a new car.

In all honesty someone with CCJs,defaults etc would they really apply for car finance or a loan for that matter.???
    • rockingbilly
    • By rockingbilly 3rd Feb 17, 2:12 PM
    • 834 Posts
    • 249 Thanks
    rockingbilly
    I agree with the above apart from PIP as as far as I am aware you can no longer get an indefinite award anymore as there time limited and in that respect I'm not sure that if your in your last year or two left on your PIP Motability would accept you for a new car.

In all honesty someone with CCJs,defaults etc would they really apply for car finance or a loan for that matter.???
    Originally posted by bigbulldog
    I doubt that they would. So when people compare the Motability deal and the private lease on here, they must also factor in if they would get a private lease in the first place - Motability will be their only option. Much like the credit cards that were given to undischarged bankrupts - you would not get a good deal.
    • Richie-from-the-Boro
    • By Richie-from-the-Boro 3rd Feb 17, 3:41 PM
    • 6,381 Posts
    • 4,797 Thanks
    Richie-from-the-Boro
    Indefinite was taken to mean unlimited when GOV wanted to 'barrack' legions of unemployed under the 'pendulum economics' era. The same word in the Blair / IDS era was interpreted as meaning unstated till DWP state it means now!
    Disclaimer : Everything I write on this forum is my opinion. I try to be an even-handed poster and accept that you at times may not agree with these opinions or how I choose to express them, this is not my problem. The Disabled : If years cannot be added to their lives, at least life can be added to their years - Alf Morris - !!!8476;
    • Optimum_
    • By Optimum_ 10th Feb 18, 6:43 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Optimum_
    I think people have missed a point.

On a Motability scheme, literally all stresses have been taken from you. No need to worry about the car, all services are done by the car company. Smallest problem, take them to your dealers garage and it's sorted. Tires are taken care of by Kwik fit. Insurance is sorted. What more can we want?

We have a Qashqai and it's perfect. The only thing I've had to do is put the windscreen liquid in and some good old diesel. Everything else for the past couple of years have been taken care of by either Nissan or Kwik fit.

Now I know its annoying plenty of cars are no longer available and the prices have shot up (Qashqai model I have has had it's equivalent 2018 model advanced payment almost doubled, 450 > 800), but the variety is huge. There is something for everyone.

I would say, Nissan Qashqai N-connecta 1.5 diesel has been a blast. Perfect small SUV, that model comes with all the bits and bobs that folks here seem to be complaining about. Electric side mirrors, keyless entry and stop start button. 360 view camera + sensors. Auto braking, hill brake assist, auto lights, auto windscreen wipers, so many more things I can't even remember. Come on guys, all of this for little under 60 a week + 800 advance (that 450 I paid seems quite cheap thinking about it). You could probably get it cheaper going private but thats without insurance, without breakdown cover, without Kwik fit changing your punctured tire etc.

Like I said, new changes are a bummer, but we still have a great list of cars and we pay peanuts for the amount of service we get.

I'm also new here, hello all and have a great weekend
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 11th Feb 18, 2:01 PM
    • 2,593 Posts
    • 2,563 Thanks
    poppy12345

On a Motability scheme, literally all stresses have been taken from you. No need to worry about the car, all services are done by the car company. Smallest problem, take them to your dealers garage and it's sorted. Tires are taken care of by Kwik fit. Insurance is sorted. What more can we want?

We have a Qashqai and it's perfect. The only thing I've had to do is put the windscreen liquid in and some good old diesel. Everything else for the past couple of years have been taken care of by either Nissan or Kwik fit.

Now I know its annoying plenty of cars are no longer available and the prices have shot up (Qashqai model I have has had it's equivalent 2018 model advanced payment almost doubled, 450 > 800), but the variety is huge. There is something for everyone.

I would say, Nissan Qashqai N-connecta 1.5 diesel has been a blast. Perfect small SUV, that model comes with all the bits and bobs that folks here seem to be complaining about. Electric side mirrors, keyless entry and stop start button. 360 view camera + sensors. Auto braking, hill brake assist, auto lights, auto windscreen wipers, so many more things I can't even remember. Come on guys, all of this for little under 60 a week + 800 advance (that 450 I paid seems quite cheap thinking about it). You could probably get it cheaper going private but thats without insurance, without breakdown cover, without Kwik fit changing your punctured tire etc.

Like I said, new changes are a bummer, but we still have a great list of cars and we pay peanuts for the amount of service we get.

Originally posted by Optimum_
    Not sure why you decided to comment on a thread that's a year old, you must have searched well for this one.
    • easy
    • By easy 11th Feb 18, 2:11 PM
    • 2,311 Posts
    • 2,713 Thanks
    easy

Originally posted by Optimum_
    Optimum I absolutely agree. As one who needs an automatic, I find reasonably priced private leases are like hen's teeth, and as soon as you need to do proper annual mileage (10,000 to 15,0000 miles per year as I do), then it becomes impossible. Add to that the fact that motability includes all insurance, tyres, maintenance and this really is a pretty good deal.

Yes, you can go out and finance buying a recent second-hand car, and some people feel that represents good value for them. Personally I find the motability scheme suits me down to the ground. We even bought one of my previous motability cars at the end of the lease for my husband to run (7 1/2 years ago). We knew the vehicle and all it's history, and the price Motability asked seemed to be very good value. It's still going now.

The choice has been restricted over the last couple of years, but that hasn't been as detrimental as I first feared. I'm currently using my 7th Motability car. The scheme has been great for me, long may it continue.
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say.
    • Mupette
    • By Mupette 11th Feb 18, 10:44 PM
    • 4,255 Posts
    • 6,945 Thanks
    Mupette
    Another Automatic driver here.

I couldn't afford the advanced payments for all the extra's, they only quibble i had was i have had a Nissan Note for 9 years ( I felt comfortable in them that i stayed with the make and model) first 2 cars as standard had the roll bar, this is great for when i need the wheelchair, i can roll the seats back when i don't.

I had to pay 100 for the privileged this time, even though i feel the standard of make has gone down hill this time, the car feels cheap.

no electric heated windows, would love that, having to scrape ice off the inside of the car yes inside on a frosty morning, making me tried and in pain before I've driven to work

GNU
    Terry Pratchett
    ((((Ripples))))

• Optimum_
    • By Optimum_ 17th Feb 18, 7:31 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Optimum_
    Not sure why you decided to comment on a thread that's a year old, you must have searched well for this one.
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    Yep took me several weeks, it a was a difficult thread to find.

(Note: If you google 'Motability price rise' this is on the first page).
    • El_Jackal
    • By El_Jackal 19th Feb 18, 1:18 AM
    • 35 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    El_Jackal
    Well, what a huge number of responses there have been to this thread (ok, a fair few flying down tangential paths but that's to be expected...)

I thought that some folk may be interested in my experience since leaving the scheme just over a year ago.

Having had my rant on here I returned my Toyota IQ (and paid 450 have the bodywork patched up before returning the car). I then went and bought a 10-year-old Land Rover Freelander 2 for 6000.

- My insurance is 450 a year
    - Year 1 service (minor)/MOT 280
    - Year 2 service (major & replace some parts)/MOT/repairs 1100.
    - Depreciation, probably 10% a year, so it has lost 1140 in value.
    - No tyres have been replaced
    - The fuel efficiency is comparable to my previous Toyota IQ (seriously!).

The above mean that the annual cost, excluding fuel, is around 1740 a year.

My War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement is around 3400 a year. So I am saving around 1700 a year by not being on the scheme.

Ok, I'm driving a 10-year-old Land Rover so the likelihood of breaking down is much, much higher than a modern car! The range of extras aren't as good but I still have heated seats (as do 80% of Motability customers), leather seats, electric mirrors that fold in, sunroof and front & rear parking sensors. The car is SUPERB and we absolutely LOVE IT! I also love not caring about a small dent or branches slightly scratching the sides as that's all part of the character.

Will I go back to the Motability scheme? I very much doubt it. But I am still very pleased to know that the scheme is available to so many in need.
    • easy
    • By easy 19th Feb 18, 5:13 PM
    • 2,311 Posts
    • 2,713 Thanks
    easy
    El_Jackal,
    that's great, it's terrific that it suits you to run a 10 year-old vehicle, an older land-rover obviously suits your lifestyle, and clearly you don't do all that many miles over a year.

But it wouldn't suit every-one. As my very elderly mum lives 130 miles away from me, I put plenty of miles on my car every year just going to-and-fro just to make sure she's OK (and no, she doesn't want to move nearer to us, we have tried that). So I wouldn't want to be running an older or high mileage vehicle. I really dread the thought of breaking down on the motorway - having to get out of the car (my balance is appalling) and wait on the bank next to the hard-shoulder in the cold would cause me real concern. I also appreciate the fact that tyres and servicing are all taken care of

I simply feel that the facility that Motability provide is a good deal, for those of us who want/need to take advantage of it. Some people suggested that it didn't represent good value, and I agree, if I was covering less than 5k miles a year in a little city car it might be the case.
    But for those of us who need to travel, and need space for a family (and a mobility scooter) and comfort on long motorway journeys I would struggle to beat the price motability take from me.

Horses for courses ... as the saying goes.
    I try not to get too stressed out on the forum. I won't argue, i'll just leave a thread if you don't like what I say.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 20th Feb 18, 7:06 AM
    • 2,593 Posts
    • 2,563 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Well, what a huge number of responses there have been to this thread (ok, a fair few flying down tangential paths but that's to be expected...)

I thought that some folk may be interested in my experience since leaving the scheme just over a year ago.

Having had my rant on here I returned my Toyota IQ (and paid 450 have the bodywork patched up before returning the car). I then went and bought a 10-year-old Land Rover Freelander 2 for 6000.

- My insurance is 450 a year
    - Year 1 service (minor)/MOT 280
    - Year 2 service (major & replace some parts)/MOT/repairs 1100.
    - Depreciation, probably 10% a year, so it has lost 1140 in value.
    - No tyres have been replaced
    - The fuel efficiency is comparable to my previous Toyota IQ (seriously!).

The above mean that the annual cost, excluding fuel, is around 1740 a year.

My War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement is around 3400 a year. So I am saving around 1700 a year by not being on the scheme.

Ok, I'm driving a 10-year-old Land Rover so the likelihood of breaking down is much, much higher than a modern car! The range of extras aren't as good but I still have heated seats (as do 80% of Motability customers), leather seats, electric mirrors that fold in, sunroof and front & rear parking sensors. The car is SUPERB and we absolutely LOVE IT! I also love not caring about a small dent or branches slightly scratching the sides as that's all part of the character.

Will I go back to the Motability scheme? I very much doubt it. But I am still very pleased to know that the scheme is available to so many in need.
    Originally posted by El_Jackal
    It's great that you could afford the 6000 in the first place but not everyone can do that. Before i had my mobility car i used to drive cars that were just a few hundred pounds. Not everyone is in the position to take out a loan for a car, especially if they're relying on benefits. If you're happy driving a 10 year old car then great, but it's not for everyone.

Mobility scheme for me is great, happy and stress free motoring and all i have to worry about is the fuel. They get a huge tick from me.
    • Danday
    • By Danday 20th Feb 18, 4:52 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    Danday
    Each to their own I say. I'm so glad that I didn't go down the Motability route. My high mobility from DLA which I had for many years ceased in 2013 when I moved over to PIP and stayed that way for two years. Then I had a PIP review in 2015 which after some argument saw it eventually go to enhanced mobility. Now I am going for a third review on Friday and fully expect it to be refused as per usual. Either I appeal and fight it or just leave well alone as I did in 2013. No idea how long I will be able to cope with permanent rejections, I'm 70 in May
    My best friend would have been the local dealership back and forth getting a car then having it repossessed two years later.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 21st Feb 18, 5:59 AM
    • 2,593 Posts
    • 2,563 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Each to their own I say. I'm so glad that I didn't go down the Motability route. My high mobility from DLA which I had for many years ceased in 2013 when I moved over to PIP and stayed that way for two years. Then I had a PIP review in 2015 which after some argument saw it eventually go to enhanced mobility. Now I am going for a third review on Friday and fully expect it to be refused as per usual. Either I appeal and fight it or just leave well alone as I did in 2013. No idea how long I will be able to cope with permanent rejections, I'm 70 in May
    My best friend would have been the local dealership back and forth getting a car then having it repossessed two years later.
    Originally posted by Danday
    It could well up up that way,if you don't send all your evidence in. Why anyone wouldn't send all their evidence, i'll never know.
    • Danday
    • By Danday 22nd Feb 18, 7:39 PM
    • 354 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    Danday
    Thanks poppy, I don't want to have an argument with you, but you know why. The DWP state, and it is qualified by the CAB, that you should not submit evidence that is more than two years old. If that means having issues but not able to prove it because the diagnosis/consultant report is more than 2 years ago so be it. No point claiming that the issues exist if you can't prove it with recent evidence. I know it's not lying, as you have said, but it is going against the rules laid down by the state. If everyone ignored state rules and did their own thing where would we be.
    • easy
    • By easy 23rd Feb 18, 8:52 PM
    • 2,311 Posts
    • 2,713 Thanks
    easy
    Thanks poppy, I don't want to have an argument with you, but you know why. The DWP state, and it is qualified by the CAB, that you should not submit evidence that is more than two years old. If that means having issues but not able to prove it because the diagnosis/consultant report is more than 2 years ago so be it. No point claiming that the issues exist if you can't prove it with recent evidence. I know it's not lying, as you have said, but it is going against the rules laid down by the state. If everyone ignored state rules and did their own thing where would we be.
    Originally posted by Danday
    Oh for goodness sake... Send in whatever evidence you have and let them decide what they do and don't want to take into consideration

Alternatively, contact your consultant's secretary by telephoning the hospital or clinic where you last saw the consultant, and ask for a letter to confirm that you have a long-term condition, or an appointment to see the consultant to get an update.

Honestly, it isn't rocket science. We are asking to be given public money to support us. It's not unreasonable that the authorities who hand out the money want some proof that wed still need that support.

Not that it's relevant to this thread of course
    Last edited by easy; 23-02-2018 at 8:56 PM.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 24th Feb 18, 11:37 PM
    • 2,593 Posts
    • 2,563 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Oh for goodness sake... Send in whatever evidence you have and let them decide what they do and don't want to take into consideration

Alternatively, contact your consultant's secretary by telephoning the hospital or clinic where you last saw the consultant, and ask for a letter to confirm that you have a long-term condition, or an appointment to see the consultant to get an update.

Honestly, it isn't rocket science. We are asking to be given public money to support us. It's not unreasonable that the authorities who hand out the money want some proof that wed still need that support.

Not that it's relevant to this thread of course
    Originally posted by easy
    Exactly what i've been saying to the OP multiple times.

With the posts from the OP being very similar to a past member, it's not surprising we are all going round in circles here.
    • Danday
    • By Danday 25th Feb 18, 11:52 AM
    • 354 Posts
    • 63 Thanks
    Danday
    Thanks Easy, as I keep on saying I try to play by the rules. There must have been a good reason for putting that rule in place, surely it's not for me to decide to ignore it? Maybe I should ignore the rule about smoking in a public place or a pub and let the state or landlord decide they want to do about it?As for my mental health, the letter I mentioned was a copy of the consultats findings and that he has put me back into the care of my GP. The GP still prescribes on the consultants instructions but to go back to the consultant for an updated report after all these years is ridiculous. Whilst my GP prescribes he has no idea how I am other than what I tell him which could be a fabrication or the truth.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,167Posts Today

7,336Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin